REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 296 guests

Andrew Sheridans Deadlift

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

little_aIcon...17-11-2008 @ 21:35 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
jt said:
i get your point little a but why would a guy who holds a world record lie about a training lift? ( AN AWESOME WORLD RECORD TO BOOT)

I'm not denying his 3 jump ability. The guy was awesome, no doubt, and I've never seen it documented that he claimed that as a PB, and even if he did he may have done it as a phsyche out comment, and it's stuck, for which I wouldnt blame him. I'm not even saying that he hasnt done it, just that I'm very cynical about such claims.
A power clean is an OL movement and I know a bit about them, especially domestic ones. A 155 PC equates to a 175/180 sqt clean. Thats on par with the likes of Dean Willey and Dave Morgan at that weight. Dedicated lifting machines who trained OL movements 3/4 times a day 6 days a week, genetically perfect for the movements and both world medalists. I struggle to comprehend a part time lifter, at any level of athletic ability, to lift weight with the likes of these guys.
SteveIcon...17-11-2008 @ 22:20 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
little_a said:
jt said:
i get your point little a but why would a guy who holds a world record lie about a training lift? ( AN AWESOME WORLD RECORD TO BOOT)

I'm not denying his 3 jump ability. The guy was awesome, no doubt, and I've never seen it documented that he claimed that as a PB, and even if he did he may have done it as a phsyche out comment, and it's stuck, for which I wouldnt blame him. I'm not even saying that he hasnt done it, just that I'm very cynical about such claims.
A power clean is an OL movement and I know a bit about them, especially domestic ones. A 155 PC equates to a 175/180 sqt clean. Thats on par with the likes of Dean Willey and Dave Morgan at that weight. Dedicated lifting machines who trained OL movements 3/4 times a day 6 days a week, genetically perfect for the movements and both world medalists. I struggle to comprehend a part time lifter, at any level of athletic ability, to lift weight with the likes of these guys.

Any thoughts on Denise Lewis power cleaning 115kg at around 60kg bodyweight when compared to our best female weightlifters?
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...17-11-2008 @ 22:37 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22018 posts
Our only female weightlifter in the Olympics (Michaela?) was cleaning and jerking around the 100/110 mark, if I remember correctly, although she was struggling with an injury.

I'm very surprised and sceptical about these claimed lifts. Maybe Edwards's "power clean" was more of a squat clean? A top athlete would have the flexibility/skill to perform weightlifting movements.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...17-11-2008 @ 22:51 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22018 posts
Michaela Breeze, 63Kg class. She clean & jerked 100Kg in Beijing, but has done 120Kg (national record).

Denise Lewis CAN'T have power cleaned 115Kg.
CuddlesIcon...18-11-2008 @ 07:14 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
Michaela Breeze, 63Kg class. She clean & jerked 100Kg in Beijing, but has done 120Kg (national record).

Denise Lewis CAN'T have power cleaned 115Kg.

Yeah she can. You think the best athletes for weightlifting end up in weightlifting? Im not saying she did, but to say its impossible is stupid.

Example, a kid in my school was a European Junior Butterfuly medalist. He power cleaned 130kg, aged 18 at a bodyweight of around 80kg. He didnt train for weightlifting, he squatted and power cleaned to improve his swimming. This guy was clearly gifted, but he wasnt a Denise Lewis or Jonathan Edwards.
PorkPieIcon...18-11-2008 @ 08:15 
Do hugs, not drugs.
Member 136, 712 posts
SQ 380, BP 242.5, DL 330
952.5 kgs @ 110kgs Eq
Who gives a f**k what any athlete or weightlifter can do "in training" - I couldn't care less. The amount of times I've been told that someones mate is stronger than me, or the person in question could squat more than what I had on the bar - I've lost count.

I could sprint sub ten seconds "in training" but it wouldn't matter a s**t unless I could repeat that on the track. Equally all this s**t being talked here about athletes outlifting seasoned class weightlifters is blatant f**king nonsense.

As for an 80kgs 18 year old powercleaning 130kgs - absolute bulls**t again I'm afraid.
little_aIcon...18-11-2008 @ 08:22 
Member 43, 14374 posts
Steve said:
Any thoughts on Denise Lewis power cleaning 115kg at around 60kg bodyweight when compared to our best female weightlifters?

Again, a tad sceptical (different from saying she hasnt done it). As Wayne points out Michaela Breeze has done 120 full C&J at 63K. Fair to point out at this stage that Michaela isnt just our best female lifter, she's the current commonwealth champion, trains full time, is an awesome athlete and is technically perfect. Could a full time track and field athlete and part time lifter outlift a CW WL champion? You can see why I'm not readily buying into this?

That said I love seeing big lifts and would love to see some of these claims backed up. It would be awesome lifting.
CuddlesIcon...18-11-2008 @ 08:22 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
PorkPie said:
Who gives a f**k what any athlete or weightlifter can do "in training" - I couldn't care less. The amount of times I've been told that someones mate is stronger than me, or the person in question could squat more than what I had on the bar - I've lost count.

I could sprint sub ten seconds "in training" but it wouldn't matter a s**t unless I could repeat that on the track. Equally all this s**t being talked here about athletes outlifting seasoned class weightlifters is blatant f**king nonsense.

As for an 80kgs 18 year old powercleaning 130kgs - absolute bulls**t again I'm afraid.

LOL. I guess my eyes must have not been working that day. You're right, its impossible Confused

Just like the 18 year old who I currently teach that power cleans 145kg, I guess thats impossible too right? (He also squats 200kg, but Im sure thats impossible too).
PorkPieIcon...18-11-2008 @ 08:26 
Do hugs, not drugs.
Member 136, 712 posts
SQ 380, BP 242.5, DL 330
952.5 kgs @ 110kgs Eq
Cuddles said:
PorkPie said:

LOL. I guess my eyes must have not been working that day. You're right, its impossible Confused

Just like the 18 year old who I currently teach that power cleans 145kg, I guess thats impossible too right? (He also squats 200kg, but Im sure thats impossible too).

Film it, post it up and I'll offer you an unreserved apology and buy you a beer. Don't do so, and I'll track you down and murder your family.
SteveIcon...18-11-2008 @ 08:46 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
When a 17 year old British lifter has cleaned over 162.5kg at a bodyweight of under 67.5kg, it would certainly seem possibly that one of the most gifted athletes ever, as a senior and weighing nearly 75kg might be able to clean 155kg? (allowing for the fact that the power clean maybe nearer to a full clean)
CuddlesIcon...18-11-2008 @ 08:56 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
PorkPie said:
Cuddles said:
PorkPie said:

Film it, post it up and I'll offer you an unreserved apology and buy you a beer. Don't do so, and I'll track you down and murder your family.

Which do you want me to film? I cant film the 18 year old swimmer as he is now a 24 year old swimmer.

There are already vids of the 18 year old lifter on youtube, I'll dig some up later. But in the meantime, he is known by Clegg, Littler and Wigs (I think) and lifts with Callard, one of their old pals. It might not be easy to believe, but that doesnt make it bulls**t.
little_aIcon...18-11-2008 @ 09:49 
Member 43, 14374 posts
Steve said:
When a 17 year old British lifter has cleaned over 162.5kg at a bodyweight of under 67.5kg, it would certainly seem possibly that one of the most gifted athletes ever, as a senior and weighing nearly 75kg might be able to clean 155kg? (allowing for the fact that the power clean maybe nearer to a full clean)

Course it is.

What about the claims that he knocked up a 650 raw PL total in his off season? I believe it. He was after all one of the most gifted athletes ever. Why not?
Martin1956Icon...18-11-2008 @ 09:51 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7711 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Just caught up with all this. Fwiw, Jonathan Edwards' conditioning coach throughout his career was top powerlifter Norman Anderson, who is one of the best Masters 4 IPF benchers in the world on Wilks. Norman was talking about JE's prowess in the gym in Bratislava earlier this year, and while he didn't mention numbers, I can quite believe 155 based on what he said about his natural ability and dedication.
little_aIcon...18-11-2008 @ 09:53 
Member 43, 14374 posts
Martin1956 said:
Jonathan Edwards' conditioning coach throughout his career was top powerlifter Norman Anderson, who is one of the best Masters 4 IPF benchers in the world on Wilks. Norman was talking about JE's prowess in the gym in Bratislava earlier this year, and while he didn't mention numbers, I can quite believe 155 based on what he said about his natural ability and dedication.

Which makes his raw 650 even more viable. Theres a good few powerlifters who can do that, so why not one of the most gifted athletes ever?
IcepickIcon...18-11-2008 @ 10:23 
still a cock
Member 55, 1213 posts
SQ 50, BP 25, DL 55
130.0 kgs @ 0.1kgs UnEq
PorkPie said:

my sentiments exactly, good point

PorkPie said:As for an 80kgs 18 year old powercleaning 130kgs - absolute bulls**t again I'm afraid.

then you go and spoil it will that Wink I will just say this to the people that doubt edwards cleaning 155@75kg or 18 yo 130pc@80 because only a few british WL seniors are doing it and at a higher bodyweight. What most need to do is step back and look beyond the scope of the pussy ass weak British lifters. This lifts are not going to own lifters in the east block, and will be on verge of mediocre/average at best in those parts. So I can believe it, but I don't give a s**t either way.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions