REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 194 guests

Mixing Powerlifting with Sports

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

zlaty79IconMixing Powerlifting with Sports01-05-2007 @ 15:49 
Member 76, 2 posts
SQ 170, BP 110, DL 180
460.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
As the title says I am attempting to mix powerlifting with sport (rugby)
I am currently working on a phase 1 of a 3 phase 18 week plan that has been mainly created by McLaren, with some input from myself.

Phase 1 is 3x10 of exercises Push/Pull/Legs deads/body weight rows/curls benchpress/OHP/Dips Squats/SLDL

my question is how do others feel on here about the ability to keep a fairly sporting physique and level of fitness, while still focussing on large strength increases?
RobIcon...01-05-2007 @ 15:56 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
It's definitely possible but you have to be very dedicated and make your body adapt to it.

Of course the best example of this at Sugden is Anthony, he is a machine - strong as hell but also very lean and extremely fit, often doing cardio for hours straight after his weights.
zlaty79Icon...01-05-2007 @ 16:00 
Member 76, 2 posts
SQ 170, BP 110, DL 180
460.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Cardio yes, I am working around doing low intensity cardio at the moment just to keep metabolism up come phase 2 of training which will also take in a day of plyometrics I will need to cut cardio durations and increase intensity of them.

I guess me biggest problem is I want to increase size and muscular mass, while staying fairly lean and not loosing to much fitness or speed. Fairly tough job.

I have lost a lot of fitness, however at present I seem to still be in the top 3 for speed on the rugby team, and giving the 2 challengers are 2 stone lighter than me, it doesn't feel too bad
tokarIcon...01-05-2007 @ 18:08 
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
I think a lot depends on genetics - Anthony is a prime example of that. Not many people could eat and train like he does but maintain the physique and strength that he does.

But rugby is the sport to look at really - most rugby players manage to maintain pretty damn good cardiovascular fitness and very impressive physiques while working on strength improvements (and vice versa, depending on the stage of their training/season).

I think all you can do is look after the basics:

1) Eat properly.
2) Don't neglect cardio (depending on your sport routine this might be automatically taken care of by playing).
3) Lift heavy.
McLarenIcon...01-05-2007 @ 19:58 
Yet another dieter
Member 66, 252 posts
SQ 190, BP 145, DL 240
575.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
I think it should be noted that zlaty is not trainig for powerlifting and the routine we have come up with is 100% geared towards performance improvement.
big49ersfanIcon...01-05-2007 @ 21:23 
The longest serving member without a tagline
Member 41, 395 posts
SQ 255, BP 165, DL 267.5
687.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
i personally dont think it is possible to be doing heavy singles to triples in season. dont like to drop below 5's and never go to failure in season. you can the fame is like 'maxin' out every week takes your toll.
CuddlesIcon...02-05-2007 @ 12:05 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
If you're playing rugby at any serious level then you're going to find it very difficult to improve your strength during the season. Granted the strength level you are at will make a massive difference, if you're a beginner with the strength stuff then the steady gains will come.

I also dont think Anthony is a good example. Whilst he is a 'machine', the training he does is significantly easier on the body than an 80 minute rugby game once/twice a week with 2 other training sessions. A tough game can leave you wasted for days, and certainly not in a position to be pushing hard in the gym.

However, pay attention to your recovery, and work a few lifts hard and sensibly and you'll make some slow progress during the season and some awesome progress in the off season. Good luck with it!
RobIcon...02-05-2007 @ 12:34 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Well you say that but this is the same Anthony who was in Sugden doing heavy push pressing the day after being at the Dungeon (which included heavy log pressing). I'm sure you and Joni can hardly walk the next day never mind get in the gym, so maybe his recovery rate is better than you think.
CuddlesIcon...02-05-2007 @ 13:48 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
His recovery ability is no doubt very good, exceptionally good in fact. But he isnt playing rugby. You have to factor in the effect of scrummaging, tackling, rucking, mauling, being tackled, sprinting, lifting etc for 80 minutes with very little rest. Tackling practice for 40 minutes takes more out my body than any strongman session ever has.

It's a very different kind of tired.

Also, im good friends with 5 or 6 current premiership rugby players whose fitness would make Anthony look 'ordinary' including one guy who is the fittest guy at a premiership club. He wouldnt even think of being in the gym the day after a game becuase not only would his body not let him, even if it did, it wouldnt be productive. So why bother?
big49ersfanIcon...02-05-2007 @ 14:56 
The longest serving member without a tagline
Member 41, 395 posts
SQ 255, BP 165, DL 267.5
687.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
a guy i lift with in london is a pro rugby player and like oli says wouldnt dream of doing any heavy weights the day after a game. it is simply a couple of sprints, some light squats, neck work, alternate shower and then a massage. that is what they do after a game.

storngman is nothing compared to a game of rugby albiet a lot more than a noraml weight session. play front row against some 20stoner for 80min and you will feel doms who ever you are.
tokarIcon...02-05-2007 @ 19:03 
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Originally posted by Rob...
Well you say that but this is the same Anthony who was in Sugden doing heavy push pressing the day after being at the Dungeon (which included heavy log pressing). I'm sure you and Joni can hardly walk the next day never mind get in the gym, so maybe his recovery rate is better than you think.

His recovery rate is absolutely phenomenal. I can't even imagine what he would be capable of if he started juicing and put on 20kg.
RickIcon...02-05-2007 @ 23:26 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
No doubt about that, but, like the guys say, contact sports absolutely destroy you - when you're hitting hard for long periods, and more to the point being hit, it really does hurt in a different way.

Pro football (US style) players such as linemen very often don't do any sort of training after a Sunday game until Wednesday, and even then it's only active recovery. It's astonishingly brutal.

I'm not taking anything away from Anthony - I've never known anybody with his recovery ability in the gym either.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions