REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 143 guests

Is it necessary to cheat to get to the top in life?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

drewIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:26 
I thought Joplin choked on a sandwich?
Member 616, 8404 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 220
530.0 kgs @ 78.8kgs UnEq
davycummings said:I am very interested in why the use of PEDs are singled out for vilification above other forms of cheating

With people genetically having massive variences in hormones, if we are so absessed with this level playing field that everyone bangs on about, then how about:

We test the whole field, and supliment the test levels of everyone up to those of the guy with the top natty level, then surely noone could complain that the its not the same for everyone? Grin Grin

What other kind of cheating has such simplistic risk/rewards. If he had an accident and his hands were replaced with stone, yes that would be unfair. If he used too thin a glove, or too hard yes treat him in the same regard as a cheat
CuddlesIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:27 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Tom_Martin said:
Not a clue. If someone was killed in a boxing match though, I imagine legal ramification would happen?

Depends where it is. The old English cases regarding assault and boxing are some of the most famous criminal cases in English Law.
AdamTIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:27 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
Tom_Martin said:
Would you really get away with killing someone just because you followed the rules of your sport?

If it was accidental and no cheating involved, I think so. Fighters have died before after fights. doesnt happen as much now, as refs usually would stop anyone taking to heavy a beating
davycummingsIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:30 
he's got betty davis eyes
Member 1684, 6001 posts
SQ 250, BP 186, DL 291
727.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Tom_Martin said:
Would you really get away with killing someone just because you followed the rules of your sport?

There have been loads in boxing

Here are a dozen from the last 10 years, i am not aware of any presecutions

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/794374-10-unfortunate-death...
Tom_MartinIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:30 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:
Depends where it is. The old English cases regarding assault and boxing are some of the most famous criminal cases in English Law.

Yeah I was thinking specifically England.

In a country where euthanasia is illegal, it would surprise me that you are 'allowed' to 'accidentally' get killed in a boxing match, or 'allowed' to 'accidentally' kill someone in a boxing match.
Tom_MartinIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:33 
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
I suppose if this is indeed true I can happily change my position on this then.

Clearly if boxing is a sport that protects you from the legal implications of what you are doing to your opponent then, by cheating, you are no longer actually "boxing" and deserve to get f**ked......right?
davycummingsIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:35 
he's got betty davis eyes
Member 1684, 6001 posts
SQ 250, BP 186, DL 291
727.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
drew said:
What other kind of cheating has such simplistic risk/rewards. If he had an accident and his hands were replaced with stone, yes that would be unfair. If he used too thin a glove, or too hard yes treat him in the same regard as a cheat

With my solution the only reward is an even playing field Wink

Take the sport of football, someone dives to win a penalty, gets another man sent off and banned for further games, influences the outcome of that game and others. He has cheated. It could be argued easily that the said player has influenced the outcome of the game more by this form of cheating than if he had used PEDs. Yet the ban for PEDs is long, and the criticism more severe, why? Both are cheating, one has a direct and visible result and is barely punished, the other has an influence that could only be a source of debate, and is punished hugely. I have difficulty with this.

Why is diving to con a ref "part of the game" when it is cheating, but paying the ref to give you the same advantage is really bad, although the outcome is the same?
walkerIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:35 
Does not need Advice, knows everything.
Member 3505, 3510 posts
SQ 295, BP 182.5, DL 290
767.5 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
By participating in a legal boxing match you are consenting to being assaulted and consenting to the risk of injuries, whether they are fatal or not..
Tom_MartinIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:37 
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
walker said:By participating in a legal boxing match you are consenting to being assaulted and consenting to the risk of injuries, whether they are fatal or not..

It just surprises me that you are allowed to consent when boxing, but not allowed to consent to being killed when living in excrutiating pain and misery.
martinbIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:37 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
Tom_Martin said:I suppose if this is indeed true I can happily change my position on this then.

Clearly if boxing is a sport that protects you from the legal implications of what you are doing to your opponent then, by cheating, you are no longer actually "boxing" and deserve to get f**ked......right?

That's how I look at it, I think it is more serious in boxing, because another mans health is at stake
walkerIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:37 
Does not need Advice, knows everything.
Member 3505, 3510 posts
SQ 295, BP 182.5, DL 290
767.5 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Tom_Martin said:I suppose if this is indeed true I can happily change my position on this then.

Lawful sport is a defence to assualt, and murder/manslaughter etc... providing that you are acting within the rules of the sport is the rider on the defence
martinbIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:40 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
davycummings said:
Take the sport of football, someone dives to win a penalty, gets another man sent off and banned for further games, influences the outcome of that game and others. He has cheated. It could be argued easily that the said player has influenced the outcome of the game more by this form of cheating than if he had used PEDs. Yet the ban for PEDs is long, and the criticism more severe, why? Both are cheating, one has a direct and visible result and is barely punished, the other has an influence that could only be a source of debate, and is punished hugely. I have difficulty with this.
Why is diving to con a ref "part of the game" when it is cheating, but paying the ref to give you the same advantage is really bad, although the outcome is the same?

Yes this confuses me greatly

I would ban anyone that dives, the only problem is it can be difficult to tell what is a dive.

I'd ban anyone that swears at a ref though

Part of the game is so weird, peds are part of the game in many sports, I don't get it
AdamTIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:40 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts

Boxing is my favourite sport, lots of boxers have been getting caught recently for cheating. Floyd Mayweather is right call for sterner testing, as your life is on the line when you fight.
Tom_MartinIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:40 
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
martinb said:
That's how I look at it, I think it is more serious in boxing, because another mans health is at stake

So it's not the fact that you cheated at a sport that the law cares about...

it's the fact that, by cheating, you removed yourself from the little protective legal bubble you were in and basically just killed someone intentional or not...

Well....I learnt something about a sport I don't give a s**t about today! Happy
drewIcon...24-10-2012 @ 13:42 
I thought Joplin choked on a sandwich?
Member 616, 8404 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 220
530.0 kgs @ 78.8kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 24.10.2012 @ 13:43 PM by drew
davycummings said:

I apreciate what your saying but....

If a man dives, or rather appears too, he could of either been foulled and it look otherwise/ fallen over at an inopertune time/ actually dived. You can't prove it, it's just opinion

You can prove having a bowl of dbol for breakfast and there's no 'accident' there. You either took it or you a clean

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions