Who's Online - 0 members and 146 guests

work and injurys

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

milsyIconwork and injurys12-09-2012 @ 13:07 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
What's your boss like about injury related to sports you do the reason I ask is I went to work today after taking 2 days off as holiday and had to leave after half day today with my back playing up I have taken this out of my holidays aswell and boss is pretty much guilt tripping me saying oh well doeant make yourself look good in bosses eyes being off sick because of training etc

I wouldn't mind if I was actually taking it as sick days but what the f**k else can I do
MattD90Icon...12-09-2012 @ 13:10 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 12.09.2012 @ 13:49 PM by MattD90
You're taking it as holiday! he's being a prick

edit i should rephrase: If he's moaning at you taking holiday at an awkward time for him leaving him thinly stretched, ok I get that. If he's moaning at you taking holiday because of a self-inflicted injury, that really is none of his business
chaosIcon...12-09-2012 @ 13:12 
An amazing human being
Member 2047, 17156 posts
SQ 262.5, BP 170, DL 300
732.5 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
That's really s**t!

We're actively encouraged to partake in extra-curricular activities and if we get injured they don't mind us being off sick. If you take hte piss though they will warn you
slimsimIcon...12-09-2012 @ 13:20 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
If I'm entirely honest mate, I don't think he's being a prick at all. You've gotta think that you've f**ked up his day today (and monday & tuesday) by having to go off, irrespective of whether you take it as sick or not. If you wanted some holiday you wouldn't have been able to phone up on the monday and say "I'm not coming in today or tomorrow".

Of course, he's the boss and he's paid to put up with s**t so certainly don't feel guilty about it though.

I think you'd get a similar reaction from a lot of bosses.
OwenLIcon...12-09-2012 @ 13:25 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
Yeah i know some places of work where injuries from sport arent looked upon in good light. They let you know in no uncertain words that it either doesnt happen again (quit your sport, or dont get injured) or you wont have a job. Simple as that, brutal but you get paid to do a job so cant moan i guess.

s**t isnt it.
deleted2_20210523Icon...12-09-2012 @ 13:26 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
grantyIcon...12-09-2012 @ 13:41 
hernia returning due to hobby of patient
Member 1306, 1907 posts
SQ 270, BP 202.5, DL 340
812.5 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Can see why you feel a little hard done by, however which company would like staff who take time off because of activities outside of work. Yes you have taken it off as a holiday but it leaves you looking unreliable and i don't know nothing about your work, but in the company where i work we are so tight stretched due to a very lean workforce that anyone taking time off majorly effects productivity. When people are off things have to be re planned and re structured.
Having said that i am office based and have taken time off due to bad back ache, my employer doeskin care what the problem is if im off, im off - and effecting business.
milsyIcon...12-09-2012 @ 13:51 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
I agree with what people are saying but with the nature of my work when I went in today I had no work as I had Monday booked off so had completed all my files and when I logged on this morning I had no new new jobs that had come through so my morning consisted of cleaning my desk and abit of filing and sitting wait gong for something to.come through

If it was a peak time I would have stayed as someone else would have had to pick up the sack but due to how quite it is I thought it would be okay that's why I can't understand why my boss was like this
slimsimIcon...12-09-2012 @ 13:54 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
milsy said:I agree with what people are saying but with the nature of my work when I went in today I had no work as I had Monday booked off so had completed all my files and when I logged on this morning I had no new new jobs that had come through so my morning consisted of cleaning my desk and abit of filing and sitting wait gong for something to.come through

If it was a peak time I would have stayed as someone else would have had to pick up the sack but due to how quite it is I thought it would be okay that's why I can't understand why my boss was like this

Well you should have explained that in your first post should you?!!! Tongue

If it's not really affecting him at all and you're taking it either unpaid or as holiday he should at least not be bothered or at best thankful because his wage bill will be less, or you're off when it's quiet and not when it's manic.

Therefore he's a t**t and not a particularly business savvy t**t at that!
MattD90Icon...12-09-2012 @ 13:56 
Skaven for the win !!
Member 2490, 3589 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 230
530.0 kgs @ 82kgs UnEq
granty said:Can see why you feel a little hard done by, however which company would like staff who take time off because of activities outside of work. Yes you have taken it off as a holiday but it leaves you looking unreliable and i don't know nothing about your work, but in the company where i work we are so tight stretched due to a very lean workforce that anyone taking time off majorly effects productivity. When people are off things have to be re planned and re structured.
Having said that i am office based and have taken time off due to bad back ache, my employer doeskin care what the problem is if im off, im off - and effecting business.

Some companies are so tightly stretched because they are too tight to hire more staff, that they pretty much always moan no matter when you take your holiday. I worked at one place that was pretty much never satisfied when you took it, they'd box you into a tiny window in the year when they'd strongly prefer you to take it (strongly prefer = take it any other time and you will be the villain) and even then you came back from a week away practically the bad guy! Places like that ran on so few people that it became more like a small family and you were so depended on that when anyone took a holiday that pretty much meant productivity was down without exception, and everyone else got worked into the ground for a week with an illegally short dinner break. Some of the lads that worked there were so heavily pressured year round on being needed that they often simply forgot to book their holidays and didn't take them. The boss would just capitalise off the fact they'd often forget. And then the company wouldn't even pay for what wasn't taken, and you can't carry it over to next year, so the net effect was you got totally played.

I know I make this place sound like something from "Jobs From Hell" but you'd be surprised how many companies like this exist with quite nice and sincere bosses, that dont realise just how t**ttish they are being to their employees simply because they're too tight to hire an extra man.
paddymc1986Icon...12-09-2012 @ 14:00 
dieting is not the way to go
Member 1539, 5526 posts
SQ 330, BP 230, DL 350
910.0 kgs @ 135kgs UnEq
my work were funny about me going for a knee operationEek Good job i don't give a f**k what they thinkGrin
Big_VessIcon...12-09-2012 @ 14:22 
I am pro for the dish
Member 934, 998 posts
SQ 205, BP 157.5, DL 215
577.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
if its taken as holiday, you do the f**k with your holiday as you wish, only problem would be notice. at my work it has to be at least a week.

if taken as sick for an injury, nothing they can do about it either, just to wind your boss up say you want to put a claim into your private medical insurance (if you have it).
JCIcon...12-09-2012 @ 14:27 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
paddymc1986 said:my work were funny about me going for a knee operationEek Good job i don't give a f**k what they thinkGrin

LOL

dnt see how training injury is any less acceptable than those who put their back out moving a table etc

are you fit to work? if not, then legally, it doesnt matter whether he likes it or not, you are quite right to take sick days until you are able to work once again
walkerIcon...12-09-2012 @ 14:52 
Does not need Advice, knows everything.
Member 3505, 3510 posts
SQ 295, BP 182.5, DL 290
767.5 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
I disagree with others.. to me it shouldn't matter how you came by the injury, if you're not fit for work then you're not fit. I would personnally take the time off sick. People should be encouraged to take part in sporting activities outside of work and not discouraged by the fear of sustaining injury and being unable to work.

I'm lucky in that I get 6 months full sick pay. I badly injured my shoulder playing rugby, although it was for the work's team, a couple of years ago. I was signed off sick for 6 weeks and then returned to work deskbound for 2 months. There isn't alot my bosses can do if you're injured to be fair as our occupational health department dictate to them.

I know different businesses/jobs work differently though but seens as though you're taking it as leave I think your boss is being unfair.
shanejerIcon...12-09-2012 @ 15:09 
Member 1307, 14110 posts
SQ 355, BP 240, DL 370
965.0 kgs @ 102kgs UnEq
My works great found a way around the fact holidays were full on the week of Europe's so now I can go. Gave me time off for all competitions and also let me eat and drink when I want irrespective of the break system they use! And I'm 100% sure they'd force me to take time off if I had a bad injury and was even wanting to come in

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions