You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitSponsorship

Sponsorship

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

milsyIconSponsorship10-06-2012 @ 17:17 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Do any of you lot or have any of you lot ever approached companys for sponsorship?

the only reason I ask is because I was talking to an ex top level bodybuilder and he was asking me about it all and couldn't believe me how small a part of strength sports sponsorship is compared to bodybuilding and we came to the conclusion it was more down to people not putting themselves out there and self promoting rather than companies looking for people
sprange67Icon...10-06-2012 @ 17:22 
Member 1858, 170 posts
SQ 285, BP 157.5, DL 302.5
745.0 kgs @ 98.9kgs UnEq
lol, got free gym membership and cloths. does that count!!!!
milsyIcon...10-06-2012 @ 17:25 
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
sprange67 said:lol, got free gym membership and cloths. does that count!!!!

did you approach the gym/clothing company or did they approach you and what do you give them in return for the sponsorship?
josh_ainsIcon...10-06-2012 @ 17:30 
Member 786, 2077 posts
SQ 262, BP 155, DL 300
717.0 kgs @ 122kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 10.06.2012 @ 17:35 PM by josh_ains
many companies want reps to further their brand, in exchange you will typically recieve free product that is a ideal mutual relationship , this is probably the ideal position for strongman or strength athletes in general, it also helped me that I had a college education in nutrition & sports performance.
sprange67Icon...10-06-2012 @ 17:32 
Member 1858, 170 posts
SQ 285, BP 157.5, DL 302.5
745.0 kgs @ 98.9kgs UnEq
It all came via a new gym that opened in town, they were looking to sponsor local people. Got a call out the blue and that was about it. As long as I compete that was the only stipulation. So if I go in the local rag papers, they have to be in the write up. I reckon as you say people just dont ask, we're all to british about asking!!!! I think there would be plenty of gyms that would give free membership and clobber
milsyIcon...10-06-2012 @ 17:38 
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
josh_ains said:many companies want reps to further their brand, in exchange you will typically recieve free product that is a ideal mutual relationship , this is probably the ideal position for strongman or strength athletes in general.

I started doing this for a very big supp company in the uk but found a few problems with it and seemed very one sided to me when in esance I was just a sales rep which anyone could do and didnt rely on my proformance
josh_ainsIcon...10-06-2012 @ 17:47 
Member 786, 2077 posts
SQ 262, BP 155, DL 300
717.0 kgs @ 122kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 10.06.2012 @ 17:49 PM by josh_ains
milsy said:
I started doing this for a very big supp company in the uk but found a few problems with it and seemed very one sided to me when in esance I was just a sales rep which anyone could do and didnt rely on my proformance

many companies do seem to be that way when corporate run , best off keeping to the ones where it's run by the same guy who built it up
sexymikehowarthIcon...10-06-2012 @ 17:58 
Full mask or nasal and chin strap?
Member 3254, 2485 posts
In the strength community a lot of sponsorship is mostly through friends helping each other out with free training, supps and clothing etc...

I don't know whether you would even call that sponsorship or if it's just being a good mates... But I think you are doing the right thing by looking into this Mills as like you say in other sports it's a given

Good luck with it aswell... Think about what you would like or what would help you in your sporting ambitions and armed with them requirements/targets research avenues of support
martinIcon...10-06-2012 @ 18:03 
Why not just not get fat in the first place?
Member 132, 1406 posts
SQ 331, BP 200, DL 320
851.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
You have to also see the sponsor's side - what can you bring to them by them sponsoring you?

There's nothing for free out there, it has to be beneficial to both parties to work.

Remember strength sports are quite a small audience and small community which also reduces the scope of marketing from sponsorship. Big televised events often already have a single main sponsor who often don't let athletes promote their own individual sponsors during competition.

If anyone is looking for a sponsorship best thing to do is email/write to the company and ask Happy SMall shops tend to also be a good thing - they are probably more willing to give something regularly if you promote in your local area.
BigTIcon...10-06-2012 @ 18:06 
Red Bull is banned in netball
Member 799, 1484 posts
I am currently looking for Sponsorship and it is hard to get, even if you can say you can give them TV and paper advertising.

Its often, like so many things, who you know not what you know.
buzzIcon...10-06-2012 @ 18:16 
Go ! go ! team strengthshop !!!
Member 18, 5295 posts
SQ 185, BP 130, DL 230
545.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
We get emails every few days asking about sponsorship, some extremely well written, others not so. A huge thing is exposure more than the amount of titles held, or comps won etc. If someone posts on numerous forums, and has a youtube page with x amount of subscribers it's a lot more attractive to a company from an exposure point of view. Similarly facebook and twitter are massive.

martin said:You have to also see the sponsor's side - what can you bring to them by them sponsoring you?

This is an excellent point. If you can justify to a company how they're likely to see a return from the sponsorship then you're half way there.

We often advise people to try small/medium sized local companies/businesses. This is where the greatest success in gaining sponsorship has been recently.
bertieIcon...10-06-2012 @ 18:19 
I work as a boner
Member 3115, 490 posts
SQ 240, BP 140, DL 300
680.0 kgs @ 132kgs Eq
buzz said:We get emails every few days asking about sponsorship, some extremely well written, others not so. A huge thing is exposure more than the amount of titles held, or comps won etc. If someone posts on numerous forums, and has a youtube page with x amount of subscribers it's a lot more attractive to a company from an exposure point of view. Similarly facebook and twitter are massive.
This is an excellent point. If you can justify to a company how they're likely to see a return from the sponsorship then you're half way there.
We often advise people to try small/medium sized local companies/businesses. This is where the greatest success in gaining sponsorship has been recently.

So how about you sponcering Tom Shaw? He's never off the internet so would give you loads of publicityGrin
martinIcon...10-06-2012 @ 18:20 
Why not just not get fat in the first place?
Member 132, 1406 posts
SQ 331, BP 200, DL 320
851.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
buzz said:

I also think people expect far too much. Why would a company givbe you hundreds of pounds worth of free stuff until they see some return?

My sponsorhip was a result of me applying but before I won anything major or hit any big numbers. It was more down to my attitude and approach to training and my time spent online on forums etc I also didn't expect the earth in return to begin with.
buzzIcon...10-06-2012 @ 18:41 
Go ! go ! team strengthshop !!!
Member 18, 5295 posts
SQ 185, BP 130, DL 230
545.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
martin said:
I also think people expect far too much. Why would a company givbe you hundreds of pounds worth of free stuff until they see some return?
My sponsorhip was a result of me applying but before I won anything major or hit any big numbers. It was more down to my attitude and approach to training and my time spent online on forums etc I also didn't expect the earth in return to begin with.

Yes, definitely true. We sponsor a fair range of athletes now, or varying levels, mainly dependent on how they 'pitch' the way and level of exposure they will give us, but to be honest, 75% of the time, once we've given some sponsorship goods etc, very little actually happens. The same with comps as well. There are a few solid folk who we work with on an ongoing basis, and who always deliver at or above the anticipated/promised levels.
brownbearIcon...10-06-2012 @ 18:45 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Ss should sponsor shane

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitSponsorship
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions