REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 165 guests

Do drugs improve sporting performance?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

sexymikehowarthIcon...30-04-2012 @ 14:57 
Full mask or nasal and chin strap?
Member 3254, 2485 posts
Post Edited: 30.04.2012 @ 14:59 PM by sexymikehowarth
Cuddles said:Mike, stop being a dick, or do it in threads where people arent having proper conversations.

I don't mind the abuse myself, but it's all getting a bit childish.

Well what technological advances do you mean then?

You quote a lot of laws, research and examples with no actual reference points ever

For those of us that have a different opinion that can be equally irritating when you express your view and provide no information to back up your argument

Or alternatively maybe it's just me that sees/thinks that... But I do think Ben has a very good point
CuddlesIcon...30-04-2012 @ 15:02 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Steve said:
It would be interesting to know whether all the drugs Lance Armstrong had to take when he was ill had a beneficial effect on his performance. He certainly talks about how they changed his body shape causing him to loose significant upper body size Although given the fact that at forty he has returned to professional triathlon, maybe he just is the most gifted endurance athlete ever.

Although interestingly enough he wasn't tested. Despite it being traditional in Ironman that the top 3 are.

The guy that finished 4th has expressed his concern.

At the end of the day though, don't fail a test and you are fine, and he hasnt failed a test.
CuddlesIcon...30-04-2012 @ 15:09 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
sexymikehowarth said:
Well what technological advances do you mean then?
You quote a lot of laws, research and examples with no actual reference points ever
For those of us that have a different opinion that can be equally irritating when you express your view and provide no information to back up your argument
Or alternatively maybe it's just me that sees/thinks that... But I do think Ben has a very good point

Isn't that the point of discussion though Mike, to discuss things? Rather than just post mindless bulls**t about how much I squat? Funnily enough, I enjoy reading around subjects that I am interested in and funnily enough I enjoy discussing them too.

Most of the technology improvements come from aerodynamics and drag reduction. Here is an interview with the bloke who designs or at leasts helps to design them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/02/cycling.olympicgam...
sexymikehowarthIcon...30-04-2012 @ 15:15 
Full mask or nasal and chin strap?
Member 3254, 2485 posts
Good point re discussion...

I was too busy looking for answers but now I think about it many of the subjects on here wouldn't need discussing if their was a single conclusion to be drawn

Apologies
CuddlesIcon...30-04-2012 @ 15:20 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
sexymikehowarth said:Good point re discussion...

I was too busy looking for answers but now I think about it many of the subjects on here wouldn't need discussing if their was a single conclusion to be drawn

Apologies

Mate, there is no need to apologise. I just get tired of rereading my squatting inadequacies Grin

I do enjoy discussing it though mate and realise that we are all going to have different opinions. Nowt wrong with that.

You know anyone that sells EPO? Wink
Ben_FIcon...30-04-2012 @ 16:28 
vegetarian with a big deadlift - who would have thought...
Member 340, 13300 posts
SQ 315, BP 190, DL 350
855.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:
Well firstly we are comparing two different sports (track vs road cycling).
Amrstrong is an interesting one as as far as I know he has never failed a drugs test. However, numerous members of his own teams have sworn under oath that they have watched and helped him use PEDS and that it was endemic in his US Postal team. Armstrong rode in the 'EPO Era', ie it was the drug of choice. At first, there was no decent test. Subsequent to them creating one pretty much every single one of his main competition has subsequently failed tests. Pretty much everyone of that era has failed tests.
However Lance didnt race for most of the year (unlike his competitors who argued that he belittled cycling by only chosing to really do 2 races a year), instead he spent the time 'training' or as cyclists called it 'preperation'. This was in a time where out of competition testing didn't exist. As long as you didnt race, you were safe. Lance didnt race.
Lance routinely beat many of the best ever, who were also pretty much all drugged to the eyeballs and not with test, but EPO, a drug that has an enourmous effect for endurance athletes (think permanent altitude training). He didnt just beat them, he dessimated them. His times are dramatically faster than those being set today, despite significant improvements in technology and cycling team professionalism
Can you imagine the standard in any other fully professional sport actually coming down? and dramatically so?
When you add it all up there are only two conclusions I can consider, Lance is either the best athlete of all time in any discipline and by a country mile, or he cheated.
Now, wrt Britains track cycling team. They are not doing anything miraculous, they are quite simply winning. They are subject to the same testing procedures as everyone else, ie out of compeition testing. They are widely acknowledged by other sporting nations to have stolen a march on the competition wrt technology. They started taking the technology much more seriously faster than most other teams. (They hired Chris Boardman in 2000 I think as Head of R&Wink). To put it simply, we chucked a lot of money at a sport and got better at it, and more specifically, a sport that had received little funding and attention before hand and therefore had achieved little. Now, if we had come from nowhere and started tearing the track apart then I would be more suspicious but we arent. We are simply picking up a lot of medals in what is still a minority sport. There are only a couple of countries wo have real track programmes. Funnily enough, those countries win a fair few medals too.....
Am I saying that those track boys aren't taking drugs? No, of course not, I haven't got a clue! but there are plenty other reasons that make just as much sense. After all, UK Sport doesn't exactly have a soft stance on the issue....

Good response, interesting stuff.

"However, numerous members of his own teams have sworn under oath that they have watched and helped him use PEDS and that it was endemic in his US Postal team."

Presumably they had already been caught and were pissed off that he hadn't been? Any links to this info. I've read a few cycling books.biogs etc but not for some time - this level of accusation will have come out after I read them.

I, of course, don't know if Armstrong used or not and you provide some good reasons to suggest he did but if as you say - everyone was doing it in that era and it was prevalent in his team and yet he was still by far the best, so even if using he was on a level playing field. To me this suggests he was the greatest ever by some distance, and if everyone was clean he still would be. The "only races twice a year" argument from the other cyclists doesn't hold water with me - if thats all it takes (have along "using" off seson then race) then thats what they would have been doing too! The fact is that they wouldn't have beaten him... from the books I read there seems to some bloody big chips on shoulders in cycling.
CuddlesIcon...30-04-2012 @ 17:26 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Chips on shoulders in cycling? Massively so! Especially from Europeans who didn't like a 'Yank' beating them at their own game. EPO or not, Lance Armstrong was f**king phenominal.

The level playing field is an interesting view, and actually I think most in cycling probably take the same view. The same as in most sports where PEDs can have a big impact. The general consensus on here seems to follow that view wrt lifting for example.

I'll try and dig up some links up for you later mate. Floyd Landis was one of the first to accuse him in person. The following has some info but is fairly limited:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story?id=5203604
CuddlesIcon...30-04-2012 @ 17:28 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Also, which books have you read?

Have you read Kimmage's? That man has the epitomy of a chip on his shoulder.
MrSmallIcon...01-05-2012 @ 11:12 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
Interesting statistic I heard - Japan and South Korea are the only countries in the world that have never failed a drugs test in weightlifting.
South Korea has a pretty strong presense in the weightlifting world.
DavidWIcon...01-05-2012 @ 11:35 
140/160
Member 2018, 115 posts
MrSmall said:Interesting statistic I heard - Japan and South Korea are the only countries in the world that have never failed a drugs test in weightlifting.
South Korea has a pretty strong presense in the weightlifting world.

I heard that testerone does not skew the T:Epi ratio as much in Orientals? If you're using test suspension then clearance is only a couple of days anyway.
Ben_FIcon...01-05-2012 @ 12:02 
vegetarian with a big deadlift - who would have thought...
Member 340, 13300 posts
SQ 315, BP 190, DL 350
855.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:Also, which books have you read?

Have you read Kimmage's? That man has the epitomy of a chip on his shoulder.

Struggling to remember the names... the two Lance Armstrong books, the one by the guy who was caught with a boot full of peds (wasn't a cyclist himself), one which had a VERY detailed account of a specific race or series of races, maybe one more... was about ten years ago so can't remember too much about them! lol

Oh, and Graeme Obree's book.
bryceIcon...01-05-2012 @ 12:47 
Juice loose aboot this hoose
Member 1401, 3962 posts
SQ 160, BP 107.5, DL 210
477.5 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
Anyone read this one? Bought it for 18p off amazon Grin

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Death-Marco-Pantani-Biography/dp/0...
BodIcon...01-05-2012 @ 13:20 
Member 174, 1234 posts
bryce said:Anyone read this one? Bought it for 18p off amazon Grin

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Death-Marco-Pantani-Biography/dp/0...

Good read, but if you are an avid cycling cycling fan, it makes pretty depressing reading as it wears on. A decent amount of 'quasi' scientific analysis of a few aspects of Pantani's career, especially his fluctuating haematocrit levels after he crashed in Milan-Torino.
beanIcon...02-05-2012 @ 09:36 
Member 2356, 50 posts
SQ 180, BP 120, DL 220
520.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
DavidW said:
I heard that testerone does not skew the T:Epi ratio as much in Orientals? If you're using test suspension then clearance is only a couple of days anyway.

Someone juice me up and lets find out! Grin

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions