Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

brownbearIcon...08-03-2012 @ 20:48 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
SUPERTRAINING said:
Sorry to hear about your mum!And I hope you will be ok too mate
Thank you for the kind words.I am sure we will both be fine in the end. My mum will actually be out of hospital before me after the operation I will have to stay in for 4-8 days but this is nothing compared what she has had to endure over the past 3 years....
I am sure you know the stress it puts on the whole family....

i'm sorry to hear about your mum, the stress and pain associated with end stage renal disease is not nice and wouldn't wish it on anyone

After giving a kidney, i wouldn't expect recovery time to be too long as you won't need immunosuppression unlike the receipient. It will be as long as it takes the muscles in the abdominal wall that have been cut through to recover, something like 4-6 weeks generally (more if you smoke or are diabetic).
ThingIcon...08-03-2012 @ 20:55 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
VanillaGorilla said:I have nothing helpful to add mate. But what an incredible thing to do, when it comes right down to it, actions like this show the measure of a man.

I tip my hat to you.

agreed, your doing an awesome thing dude
SUPERTRAININGIcon...08-03-2012 @ 20:55 
thats just super !!
Member 1087, 42 posts
SQ 205, BP 178.5, DL 222.5
606.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
brownbear said:
i'm sorry to hear about your mum, the stress and pain associated with end stage renal disease is not nice and wouldn't wish it on anyone
After giving a kidney, i wouldn't expect recovery time to be too long as you won't need immunosuppression unlike the receipient. It will be as long as it takes the muscles in the abdominal wall that have been cut through to recover, something like 4-6 weeks generally (more if you smoke or are diabetic).

Oh thats helpful thank you Happy

I am just going to try to keep walking around as much as I can after surgery make sure I try to reduce muscle loss and to get everything moving again.

Thank you for the input my friend
brownbearIcon...08-03-2012 @ 20:56 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
SUPERTRAINING said:
Oh thats helpful thank you Happy
I am just going to try to keep walking around as much as I can after surgery make sure I try to reduce muscle loss and to get everything moving again.
Thank you for the input my friend

for the first week or two i wouldn't do much of anything...

make sure youre eating loads! your body will need a lot of calories and protein esp. to repair those muscles and skin
LesWiltshireIcon...08-03-2012 @ 20:56 
bookies have him 2nd for BSM
Member 1176, 318 posts
Hey Supertraining, proud of you mate, good luck to you both.
Looked after my Dad through kidney failure, dialysis three times a week etc, etc.
Know how demanding it can be, and one of the charities I now support is Kidney Research UK. You'll be back training in no time, and so might your Mum!!
SUPERTRAININGIcon...08-03-2012 @ 21:01 
thats just super !!
Member 1087, 42 posts
606.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
brownbear said:
for the first week or two i wouldn't do much of anything...
make sure youre eating loads! your body will need a lot of calories and protein esp. to repair those muscles and skin

Oh every meal for me is an All you can eat buffet so I will be getting the calories for sure.I am going to get the Mrs to drop me a good few chicken breasts off when she comes in to visit Happy The hospital I am going to be at has very good standards of food so that I have to be thankful for.

I will defiantly be eating for recovery mate
SUPERTRAININGIcon...08-03-2012 @ 21:05 
thats just super !!
Member 1087, 42 posts
606.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
LesWiltshire said:Hey Supertraining, proud of you mate, good luck to you both.
Looked after my Dad through kidney failure, dialysis three times a week etc, etc.
Know how demanding it can be, and one of the charities I now support is Kidney Research UK. You'll be back training in no time, and so might your Mum!!

Yeah my mum is going to hospital the same amount of time per week sometimes more.Its so life consuming and you never get your mind out of hospital mode!Did you dad get a transplant?

I would like to do something for the Renal ward where my mum is being treated after surgery I might do something to raise money they have been amazing!!
JabbaIcon...08-03-2012 @ 21:20 
and the winning number is... 88!
Member 647, 2048 posts
SQ 222.5, BP 152.5, DL 242.5
617.5 kgs @ 136kgs UnEq
I really hope things go well for you both. I agree with everyone's thoughts, you are doing a fantastic thing and I have huge respect for you.
leeboyIcon...08-03-2012 @ 21:23 
do i love snipers? hellyeah
Member 2025, 883 posts
great thing to do. good luck with it all
General_illIcon...08-03-2012 @ 21:33 
3rd place Europes strongest man 2016 U90kg
Member 1239, 13275 posts
SQ 280, BP 155, DL 310
745.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
Amazing thing your doing but every time I see the thread title I keep think donor kabab
RossAIcon...08-03-2012 @ 21:41 
i love food
Member 1042, 441 posts
SQ 265, BP 212.5, DL 325
802.5 kgs @ 129.1kgs UnEq
SUPERTRAINING said:Hello People

I am in my 20s and my mother is currently waiting on the long and depressing line for a kidney transplant until recently she refused to take my kidney but her health and sanity is going down hill so I finally talked her into letting me give her one of my kidneys.

I wanted to ask if anyone has given a kidney to any family members?And if so how where you after the operation and how long before you lifted weights again?

I am not afraid of going under the knife as its for my mum but I am afraid of being the totally weak skinny kid again because it has taken me months to recover?Doctors are saying I could take anywhere from 3-12 weeks to recover it depends on the individual.

If anyone has done this I would be grateful for advice

good luck to you 'supertraining'. I wish you and your mum a speedy recovery.
stainlessIcon...08-03-2012 @ 21:56 
Big fan of TWI
Member 761, 425 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 260
645.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
The kidneys are incredible organs and provide vastly more function than we will just about ever require.
I am currently at end stage renal failure and am down to 15% efficiency.When a kidney is removed the other doesn't enlarge but simply(or amazingly) increases it's work load and typically you will go from 100% to about 80%.
My last comp was a team comp with Ken Nowicki 2 years ago,we had a hell of a truck to pull,viking press,car deadlift etc,we came a half point off winning and i was sitting at 24% kidney function at the time,so i have every confidence in telling you that once you've healed from the surgery nothing will stop you from continuing to grow stronger.
I still train 3 days per week albeit at a much reduced rate,i have to get by on about 120 grams of protein as i have to give my body less work to do.
My mother also had a successful kidney transplant which lasted many years and vastly improved the quality of her life.
I think what you are doing for your mother is wonderful and i wish you both a speedy full recovery.
brownbearIcon...08-03-2012 @ 22:02 
Morrisons - rump - 7£
Member 2206, 11578 posts
SQ 228, BP 150, DL 260
638.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
stainless said:The kidneys are incredible organs and provide vastly more function than we will just about ever require.
I am currently at end stage renal failure and am down to 15% efficiency.When a kidney is removed the other doesn't enlarge but simply(or amazingly) increases it's work load and typically you will go from 100% to about 80%.
My last comp was a team comp with Ken Nowicki 2 years ago,we had a hell of a truck to pull,viking press,car deadlift etc,we came a half point off winning and i was sitting at 24% kidney function at the time,so i have every confidence in telling you that once you've healed from the surgery nothing will stop you from continuing to grow stronger.
I still train 3 days per week albeit at a much reduced rate,i have to get by on about 120 grams of protein as i have to give my body less work to do.
My mother also had a successful kidney transplant which lasted many years and vastly improved the quality of her life.
I think what you are doing for your mother is wonderful and i wish you both a speedy full recovery.

was your kidney function measured as an estimated gfr or an accurate hospital based creatinine clearance study?
samevansIcon...08-03-2012 @ 22:04 
just got PM'd
Member 1945, 685 posts
total respect to you mate
SUPERTRAININGIcon...08-03-2012 @ 22:06 
thats just super !!
Member 1087, 42 posts
606.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
General_ill said:Amazing thing your doing but every time I see the thread title I keep think donor kabab

Hahahaha I fancy one myself now

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitKidney Donor
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions