Member 2754, 393 posts
MartinCeeIconUK Strongest Man 105 Final 2011 - VOS TV24-08-2011 @ 10:05 
Member 2754, 393 posts
PeteHodgsonIcon...24-08-2011 @ 10:41 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Just watching through these vids and got to Mike Howarths loading and fingals medley. f**king awesome, I was on the edge of my seat! Well done Mike!!!
mikehowarthIconNobody's perfect24-08-2011 @ 11:39 
Not so much as forgotten as can't remember
Member 894, 4924 posts
SQ 245, BP 167.5, DL 272.5
685.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
PeteHodgson said:Just watching through these vids and got to Mike Howarths loading and fingals medley. f**king awesome, I was on the edge of my seat! Well done Mike!!!

Everybody guy that turned up would have made some mistake or one thing they would have changed to make their day better

Mine was not getting the hang if that dumbbell and getting no reps, tough biscuits

But I shouldn't expect a completely perfect day when others make errors too

With that in mind I had a great and lucky day, the fingals finger (!!!) , deadlifts that I got, the axle win as well as the experience were worth the trip alone

I can see what I need to do to improve in the sport too so am grateful for the experience
mikehowarthIcon...24-08-2011 @ 11:40 
Member 894, 4924 posts
685.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
PeteHodgson said:Just watching through these vids and got to Mike Howarths loading and fingals medley. f**king awesome, I was on the edge of my seat! Well done Mike!!!

Thanks mate!
AshtecIcon...24-08-2011 @ 22:07 
this dude is a SLAG !!!
Member 2331, 431 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 300
690.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Just a big f**king well done to everyone loved that comp and if im not fat next year i hope to be there again rest up everyoneGrin
azz0703Icon...25-08-2011 @ 08:37 
Member 1912, 336 posts
SQ 170, BP 135, DL 250
555.0 kgs @ 110kgs Eq
Post Edited: 25.08.2011 @ 08:38 AM by azz0703
Posted on wrong thread:/ lol
plonkerIcon...25-08-2011 @ 11:35 
The world famous projectile vomit master
Member 1293, 443 posts
SQ 210, BP 155, DL 280
645.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:
your tyre flip was event performance of the day for me! you destroyed what is a very heavy and tough tyre!

wow.. thats quite the compliment terry... cheers :-)
mikehowarthIconFrom mine online journal25-08-2011 @ 15:02 
Member 894, 4924 posts
685.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Ben_F said:
x2
Your public demands it!

Sexy Mike Howarth off yourtube delivers!!!

UKs strongest man 105

To say I was looking forward to this a lie, the challenge I saw ahead of me was huge and sometimes you can bite of more than you can chew I have heard. I rested well for the comp and was injury free so had all the ingredients of bringing what I could to the comp with me, I just hoped I was good enough not to look too out of mine depth.

I needed luck, and lots of it too!

Resting for nearly a week before was torturous and didn't help me stress levels, It's tough to find confidence when you don't know what you're up against.

During the drive I told Joni what I thought of him for making me do this s**t and that if it wasn't for the fact we were taking him with us I would have pulled out. I doubt I would have pulled out.

Torturous drive to Whitstable and we were early for the weigh in so waited... Weighed in and the had a chat with Wood's about the comp as well as said hello to the guys quiet a few I knew/recognised.

My goals were to survive the comp and come out in the other end thinking I could have not done any more. I would rather that than to feel guilty and beat myself up over a half arsed effort that doesn't reflect mine ability, determination, maturity and experience.

14 competetors in the start, but the day started taking its toll with guys dropping out due injuries. I felt pretty bullet proof through the day even though I was in lot's of pain I felt far from injury... But having said that there must have been 8 more guys who were more bullet proof than me

I hope the guys who got injured during the comp heal fully and quickly

1. Arm over arm 4x4 pull

I warmed up well and did some squats, doh deadlifts with a 100kg axle and some stiffies with an empty bar before this event. I was ready!

I loved that rope and it didn't feel too bad for me. I had it in my head this was too big after seeing it on youtube but in my opinion it was great even if it made things more difficult.

The 20 metres was half rice half chips and I could handle the full lot... I got to a point about half way (and half way over the hill) and it looked like the driver had put in in reverse because i kept rolling back after a max effort pull. I persevered and kept trying... The time stopped and Hollywood stood on the rope to measure the distance. I got it half way to my surprise,about 10 metres.

After this event I was laughing as I sat up as it was an awesome challenge and I enjoyed it and gave it my best. Was surprised when I first moved the thing to be honest! I only beat Goswell but that is no bad thing as he is not exactly a weak guy.

I can see this event improving for me in a big way, I'm beginning to understand why it's a staple test of strength.

2. max axle floor to overhead

This was very well run and the pace was fantastic for everybody concerned. I was very impressed by all accounts and Terry reffed it faultlessly.

145kg 1st place

3. 150kg farmers walk for 20m

Crazy heavy farmers for 105kg guys - and they were giant farmers, big block types. according to Joni...

I didn't think these would move and said as much to the lovely lady helper. However I surprised myself with three pick ups and actually moved these things a wee bit...Maybe 1 and a bit metres being generous to myself

Other guys didn't move it and some got a couple of metres so I had all the incentive I needed to try mine best. terry gave me the centimetres I fought for and I did better than some other guys did. Excellent

4. keg toss - 8 kegs over 4.5m bar... Light kegs to progressively heavier ones (8kg to 14kg ish?)

You walk away from this event disheartened at your failures, unless you're me then you just love valid test of strength that it is... First three kegs wooosh over, fourth keg fluffed me over three times then the fifth keg went over first time before the end of mine time. Not bad. If I had a blinder all eight would have went but as the placings and mine video shows I grafted and held my own here.

5. Deadlift medley

Another event I should have placed last on with the starting deadlift being 5kg below my alltime best of 255kg! Apply deep heat and Game on

So I walked up, strapped on and figured that the best chance I had of preventing an injury was to pull fast and hard from the start without hesitance. Thanks to the pressure of the comp and the spectators I managed the max effort deadlift and then did the next thing I had to pull too! The third thingummybobby very almost budged but there was too much weights on the bar and we wasn't allowed to take it off

After this Wood's said maybe the events were maybe too heavy from a spectator perspective. I understood his point but for the athletes there is no difference with respect to placings and as for injuries, you can't avoid them and could get ran over by a bus tomorrow. We were still there to give it our best under any circumstance. (even if it was glorious sunshine and a clear sky!)

6. Loading medley

130kg barrels loaded very easily and fast as Terry suggested was best for me, very helpful he was but having tossed the kegs onto the platform with ease it would have been rude not to try some fingering, and I'm not rude

I wore my black sleeves and wrist supports in preparation for the finger as I knew the load would be easy for me because I'm a top bloke.

Having picked up the implement I had no intention of holding that above my head it was far to heavy for me!

I shouldered it dug deep what can I say!!! At the very end, you can see on the video Emma took... You would have allowed me to bail after a valiant effort.

But somehow I stayed in the game and really wanted to win this fight and did.

This effort in itself to me was worth training a year for, that's how much I wanted it and that's how much the effort paid off. For me it was almost a one off and still don't believe I did it. Absolute ecstacy and I'll never forget that feeling when it finally fell

7. 70kg dumbell for reps

The fingals finger knocked me out a bit and my shoulder was very very tired after the previous event too...Unfortunately on this occasion I couldn't get the hang of the object and the score card showed it

Lovely dumbell to have a go of, very challenging!

8. 400kg tyre flip

First out after my last placing in the previous event. Without being pessimistic I knew by being first out my placing and efforts would be low and without knowledge. Terry said the push off didn't count as a flip to which I laughed and said I wouldn't bother then lol!

I flipped it once

9. stones

First three in 14 seconds! Fast!!! I wasn't strong enough for the last one this year but have all the capacity to be very good at these in future

Overall I was just behind Joni so I can't complain really as he is one of the best 105s in the North

I've said a few other things about the comp in the other threads but there's my write up. Thanks for the support guys and thanks for a great competition to the organizers, I'm very happy I helped put on a show a played a good game of strongman

Thanks for reading guys!!!
mikehowarthIcon...25-08-2011 @ 15:54 
Member 894, 4924 posts
685.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Ben_F said:Thank you Mike, worth waiting for. would have liked a little more detail on your event win though.

I'm glad Ben! Thanks!

I will give you what you want!

I watched woods warm up for the arm over arm and how he did so... Then made sure I was ready. Me and plonker did sone axle dead with 100kg too and while I approached the axle I felt it's thickness and immediately was excited

Like woods said it was a scaffold!!!

I can flim flam a scaffold easier than a thicker axle for obvious reasons so now knew I could put 140kg up on this without too much effort whereas other guys would attempt and fail to press

We all lined up, I had done 20 presses with an Olympic bar and generally was warmed up enough for the 100kg start weight and would take the incremiments as sets towards my top weight as we would have maybe a couple of miutes between attempts at the start of the event. Andy goswell was first followed by me, and we were set to lead this event so had no problem in going out first... We knew what to do and before every attempt I got goswell ready with chalk, salts, some reassurance and encouragement. The boy done good and took second place for muchos points and gave the 145kg axle a good stab but it folded him over during the overhead phase, not to worry as his effort was impressive!

During the event as the lifts went up my attempts were very much a formality it would appear as guys began to fail at 120kg then again at 130kg whereas I think I made mine look easy. I'm not going to say they were easy, they may have looked good and strong but I had my place in the comp to justify and to some this was mine time to show some determination and ability.

I was happy to do this.

During mine lifts I power cleaned the axle and raised my right arm (open palm on the axle) to rest the axle on after I had finished my pull. Then I kicked the bar up to allow mine right arm to be placed underneath again. After this I power jerked.

As other guys started to fail i began to realise just how much of a strong point and demonstration of strength I had been gifted with due to my previous training and out of respect for that I wanted to do all that I could, I will try and find sone videos or photos of the axle press I did but I'm very happy that I switched it on when I needed to and as soon as I knew I had lifted more than anybody else could I let the inward aggression out in celebration!!!

Event win, an exciting and impressive display which everybody enjoyed including Terry, the mc and the cheering audience and a comfortable effort, I had earned my place in the game and helped put on a thrilling show.

I had no idea that this was only the start of a very successful and emotional day!!!

The highlights if my day were the axle overhead and audiences response to my lifts and the fingals finger. After that fingals finger I know consider myself a strongman
mikehowarthIcon...25-08-2011 @ 15:55 
Member 894, 4924 posts
685.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Oh and a big thanks to Emma from me and Joni for helping us, applying deep heat andtalc to our bottoms and driving us there and back!!!

I just lol'd as I remembered saying to the big man Simon Cowdrey that guys were so exhausted that during the course of the say they were applying deep heat as well as ice packs to the same bodyparts trying to salvage themselves between events!!!

The ice buckets and water were awesomely helpful to have for the athletes, thanks to the lovely France's for all her helpfulness and photo taking during the comp too!!!
AshtecIcon...25-08-2011 @ 19:38 
this dude is a SLAG !!!
Member 2331, 431 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 300
690.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
plonker said:
wow.. thats quite the compliment terry... cheers :-)

i was after some easy points john you wernt suppose to go that fast lol second was fine for me tho we got some good points back there i needed them after some silly f**k upsGrin
terryhollandsIcon...25-08-2011 @ 22:24 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
mikehowarth said:
This was very well run and the pace was fantastic for everybody concerned. I was very impressed by all accounts and Terry reffed it faultlessly.

I reckon Ashley might disagree! haha, sorry Ash!
mikehowarthIcon...26-08-2011 @ 00:26 
Member 894, 4924 posts
685.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:
I reckon Ashley might disagree! haha, sorry Ash!

I saw that and knew that you were being spot on as you didn't give the gown signal before he dropped it, he was unlucky and the effort almost paid off but not quite
plonkerIcon...26-08-2011 @ 12:41 
The world famous projectile vomit master
Member 1293, 443 posts
SQ 210, BP 155, DL 280
645.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
can anyone give the email address of the photo dude... you know.. those little cards that were handed out... lost mine...

12345678910 ... ... 3233343536373839404142

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions