REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 171 guests

would like like to see atleast some kind of British strongman title?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

bignige1986Icon...18-05-2010 @ 19:37 
Taleban says his views on women are extreme
Member 639, 3518 posts
SQ 10, BP 10, DL 10
30.0 kgs @ 10kgs Eq
elitestrongman said:
Colin Bryce has looked into running BSM but has too much on and the money is a big prob as the title owmers want a big wag of cash,

Party poker sponsored wsm this year mate why not approach some big companys to foot the bill, the bloke who ownes it was there every day spectating etc seemed quite interested so ya neva know Happy fingers crossed
LesWiltshireIcon...18-05-2010 @ 20:01 
bookies have him 2nd for BSM
Member 1176, 318 posts
What Terry says about the prize money is right, we need decent sponsors to provide decent prize money. At the last Midshires Strongest Man that Russ Bradley and I promoted back in 2004, first prize was £1000 with a further £1000 shared between 2nd to 8th places, but in the current economic climate that might be difficult to do again.If that level of prize money was available again, would it create interest?
elitestrongmanIcon...19-05-2010 @ 10:42 
thats the way I do it, don't like it not my prob
Member 253, 1225 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 180, DL 225
672.5 kgs @ 118kgs Eq
LesWiltshire said:What Terry says about the prize money is right, we need decent sponsors to provide decent prize money. At the last Midshires Strongest Man that Russ Bradley and I promoted back in 2004, first prize was £1000 with a further £1000 shared between 2nd to 8th places, but in the current economic climate that might be difficult to do again.If that level of prize money was available again, would it create interest?

That would be great,But there is't that kind of money going around. thats why you watching the same old promgrams on TV no money to make new ones, high street shops seen to have SALES every day. people do not have the cash!
So I just forget about it, thanks for the input!
Martin1956Icon...19-05-2010 @ 13:22 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7734 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Credibility comes from the athletes who compete in a contest. If all the top guys supported the new event, and bypassed others claiming to do likewise, then the event (and the title) quickly becomes credible and recognised as the ultimate British title. How about 'British Strongman Championship'?
MrSmallIcon...19-05-2010 @ 13:38 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
bignige1986 said:
Party poker sponsored wsm this year mate why not approach some big companys to foot the bill, the bloke who ownes it was there every day spectating etc seemed quite interested so ya neva know Happy fingers crossed

Party Poker sponsored Cyprus's first strongman contest a few years ago, it gets shown on Eurosport, Travis Ortmayer was there, Ervin Katona, a variety of top Euro guys came over.

By the sea!
elitestrongmanIcon...19-05-2010 @ 15:29 
Member 253, 1225 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 180, DL 225
672.5 kgs @ 118kgs Eq
Martin1956 said:Credibility comes from the athletes who compete in a contest. If all the top guys supported the new event, and bypassed others claiming to do likewise, then the event (and the title) quickly becomes credible and recognised as the ultimate British title. How about 'British Strongman Championship'?

the name of the title has being use before, whe TWI & IFSA parted ways IFSA used it!
I was thinking of the Elite strongman of Great Britian
JCIcon...19-05-2010 @ 15:40 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
elitestrongman said:
the name of the title has being use before, whe TWI & IFSA parted ways IFSA used it!
I was thinking of the Elite strongman of Great Britian

Quite like that TBH. Sounds good and incorporates the company name
JohnPowerIcon...20-05-2010 @ 22:00 
power by name , power by nature !
Member 439, 217 posts
Out of interest I thought the Title of britains strongest man was first used in a 1910 comp held at St Pancras road London.
The winner being Thomas Inch.
rottieIcon...22-05-2010 @ 19:19 
Member 870, 552 posts
it would be a real shame if we loose the title of britains strongest man.I know Louis McLean offerd to promote the contest last year but not entirely sure why this never happened,
stainlessIcon...23-05-2010 @ 11:21 
Big fan of TWI
Member 761, 425 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 260
645.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Martin1956 said:Credibility comes from the athletes who compete in a contest. If all the top guys supported the new event, and bypassed others claiming to do likewise, then the event (and the title) quickly becomes credible and recognised as the ultimate British title. How about 'British Strongman Championship'?

This is very true,TWI may have some form of copyright on the title of a tv programme but they have no ownership of the athletes.
Furthermore,it's grossly unfair to hold unto some thing like that and not use it, the wa**ers institute,sorry TWI should have some sort of obligation to use it or lose it.What if TWI decide never to run another BSM? Some how the title can never be used again unless they say so? that's bo***cks and would never stand if they tried to pursue it in court.
Years ago Kaz tried to take a guy to court over the title "world's strongest man" Kaz was current WSM and another guy was using it for his circus act.The judge threw it out and said it was too vague a term to be copyrighted by an individual and that anyone by any number of tests of strength could claim to be WSM.
If i could blow up 3 hot water bottles tomorrow,bend some nails and do calve raises with a baby elephant i could call my self Britain's strongest man twi could do sod all about it.People can threaten all they like but going to court is a different thing all together.
The big issue here is not so much getting a title but getting all the big names on board,giving them decent prize money and taking care of them.There are lots of people on this forum well capable of running such an event,with a successful big event behind them with all the top British athletes on board then the next year a tv channel would be interested-exit TWI and enter some one new.
stainlessIcon...23-05-2010 @ 11:23 
Big fan of TWI
Member 761, 425 posts
SQ 220, BP 165, DL 260
645.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
JohnPower said:Out of interest I thought the Title of britains strongest man was first used in a 1910 comp held at St Pancras road London.
The winner being Thomas Inch.

Wouldn't it be great if it turned out the family of Thomas Inch had copyrighted it years ago and TWI had to pay back royalties?

Tongue
RossAIcon...15-04-2011 @ 01:07 
i love food
Member 1042, 441 posts
SQ 265, BP 212.5, DL 325
802.5 kgs @ 129.1kgs UnEq
it is kind of sad that we have some of the best strongmen in the world and yet there is no official britain's strongest man anymore. would love to see it back on the box. like most other sports in this country, we don't look after our talent!
PeteHodgsonIcon...15-04-2011 @ 11:46 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
RossA said:it is kind of sad that we have some of the best strongmen in the world and yet there is no official britain's strongest man anymore. would love to see it back on the box. like most other sports in this country, we don't look after our talent!

I agree. I still can't believe it no longer exists. This forum alon is proof that the interest in strongman is higher than ever. Surely some big companies need approaching for sponsorship. MyProtein would be one example.
elitestrongmanIcon...15-04-2011 @ 15:35 
Member 253, 1225 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 180, DL 225
672.5 kgs @ 118kgs Eq
PeteHodgson said:
I agree. I still can't believe it no longer exists. This forum alon is proof that the interest in strongman is higher than ever. Surely some big companies need approaching for sponsorship. MyProtein would be one example.

myprotein have fingers in other pies this year and their have always supported elite's England's strongest man since 2008.
nathanIcon...15-04-2011 @ 16:17 
no longer sugdens strongest man
Member 455, 1336 posts
terryhollands said:Trouble is I for one wouldn't be there if I had an international clashing with the contest. Without some decent prize money it just wouldn't be worth my while. I know to some this may sound a bit arrogant but strongman is my job and I have to look at it that way. I wouldn't do a British comp to possibly win £300 when I can go abroad and win nearly 10 times that.

I know to some it might seem like winning a British title should mean something but to me unless it is BSM I'm not that worried hence why I haven't been to the UK's the last few years. Not that I am saying this is a bad idea, I think it would be great if it could happen but just saying how i feel with regards to prize money etc.

none can argue ur point here mate u need a income and strongman is it. i dont think u will get enough in any uk comp

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions