REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 154 guests

What an absolute load of bollocks (Child paintbrush Injury)

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

goodwinmIconWhat an absolute load of bollocks (Child paintbrush Injury)24-11-2010 @ 05:41 
a PB is a PB !
Member 539, 1086 posts
Post Edited: 24.11.2010 @ 05:42 AM by goodwinm
Can't believe a council has had to pay 2.5 million pounds in compensation for this child's unfortunate accident.

Read below if you want the full story but basically..... Child was at school painting on the floor on a big piece of paper. Big school project and lots of kids painting too. Along came a girl who bumped into him and he fell over onto the floor and landed eye first onto a paintbrush. Terrible damage to his brain apparantly. Tragic accident. Nothing more from what I can gather.

I know I Would probably feel differently if it was my daughter and yes there probably is a lot more to the story that we do not know about, but come the f**k on! How on earth is painting on the floor dangerous? This could have easily happened painting at a table too. bo***cks. Rant over. I'm going to eat some Wheetos. lol

A council has been held responsible for an accident which left a 10-year-old pupil with "catastrophic" brain damage.

Thomas Brown, now 18, attended Ladywell School in Motherwell when he fell on a paintbrush which pierced his eye.

The Court of Session in Edinburgh ruled that North Lanarkshire Council failed to prevent a foreseeable risk of harm.

Mr Brown's father, Christopher, is seeking damages of £2.5m. The court will rule on the level of compensation at a later date.

Judge Lady Dorrian heard that the accident happened while Thomas and his classmates were working on scenery for a school show in April 2003.

They were kneeling or crouching on the floor painting four sheets of paper which had been stuck together. The paper was too big to fit on a desk.

A girl stood up and bumped into Thomas, causing him to topple over and fall onto the paintbrush of a third child.

The pointed end of the foot-long thin brush went into his left eye.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

When one looks at the whole circumstances of the use of the brush a real risk of injury emerges as foreseeable”

End Quote Lady Dorrian Judge

The court heard that the accident had left him with no sight in his left eye and he had also suffered "a number of permanent disabilities", including poor concentration and memory and significant fatigue.

In the action, it was alleged the accident had affected Thomas's chances of finding a job and that it was unlikely he would be able to live independently in future.

Lady Dorrian was told that since the accident the local authority had issued a "safety flash" warning, stopping children working on the floor and banning the use of long paintbrushes.

Mr Brown claimed that the "risk assessment" carried out after his son was hurt should have been done before the accident, and could have prevented the tragedy.

He also claimed that those supervising the class at the time were at fault.

In her written ruling, Lady Dorrian said: "Foreseeability is not the same as frequency - an accident might rarely happen yet nevertheless be foreseeable."

She said that the teachers present at the time seemed to be aware of some dangers but had not taken others into account.

"When one looks at the whole circumstances of the use of the brush a real risk of injury emerges as foreseeable," she said.

"A reasonable person in the position of the teachers would have taken steps to prevent that foreseeable risk of harm to Thomas."

The judge said the work could have been done on separate sheets of paper with safer paintbrushes.

She added: "There was no persuasive reason why the task could not have been done at desks."

A spokesman for North Lanarkshire Council said: "We are studying the court's findings and it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."

Col_AustinIcon...24-11-2010 @ 09:53 
99.8 340/220/335 895
Member 1002, 1560 posts
goodwinm said:Can't believe a council has had to pay 2.5 million pounds in compensation for this child's unfortunate accident.
Read below if you want the full story but basically..... Child was at school painting on the floor on a big piece of paper. Big school project and lots of kids painting too. Along came a girl who bumped into him and he fell over onto the floor and landed eye first onto a paintbrush. Terrible damage to his brain apparantly. Tragic accident. Nothing more from what I can gather.
I know I Would probably feel differently if it was my daughter and yes there probably is a lot more to the story that we do not know about, but come the f**k on! How on earth is painting on the floor dangerous? This could have easily happened painting at a table too. bo***cks. Rant over. I'm going to eat some Wheetos. lol

As this was simply an 'unfortunate accident', how much do you think she deserves then?

(I hope you choke on your Wheetos.)
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...24-11-2010 @ 09:57 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22044 posts
That's a really upsetting story.

Nobody can be blamed though. Every activity carries a risk.
PeteHodgsonIcon...24-11-2010 @ 10:04 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
horrible story. Now I want to go and get my daughter from nursery. Unhappy
Col_AustinIcon...24-11-2010 @ 10:05 
99.8 340/220/335 895
Member 1002, 1560 posts
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
That's a really upsetting story.

Nobody can be blamed though. Every activity carries a risk.

Would nobody be to blame if one of the teenagers you work with fell and broke their neck after you had been throwing them over your head for a bit of fun, as you do?
PompyIcon...24-11-2010 @ 10:08 
My opinions have run their course
Member 694, 3112 posts
Disagree. Think this compensation is deserved. Terrible accident but the kids life is massively degraded
goodwinmIcon...24-11-2010 @ 11:51 
a PB is a PB !
Member 539, 1086 posts
Just got back from choking on my wheetos.

It is a terrible story. It really is.

Maybe there is more to it, and there must be more to it I guess. I mean they have been fighting for this for 8 years!

And yes costs should be provided to cover care costs for the child etc. That is fair enough.

The main thing I am getting at is that the council is being held responsible.

If it were adults doing the same thing painting on the floor at an arts exhibition and one of them gets knocked over by another and falls on somebodys painbrush and skewers their eye then does that mean the same thing will happen?

Just stinks to me. I know chances are 1 in a million.

Bottom line is I hope the child is ok and can live a long and happy life.
JCIcon...24-11-2010 @ 11:54 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
I hate the compensation culture and all that bulls**t......BUT

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to fathom that painting on a floor, with large wooden paint brushes is not the safest idea

He/she painting should have been at a table.....now someone is responsible for the fact he/she wasn't!
Col_AustinIcon...24-11-2010 @ 12:40 
99.8 340/220/335 895
Member 1002, 1560 posts
goodwinm said:
If it were adults doing the same thing painting on the floor at an arts exhibition and one of them gets knocked over by another and falls on somebodys painbrush and skewers their eye then does that mean the same thing will happen?

If the organizer was negligent in failing to conduct any kind of risk assessment or exercise their duty of care towards the particpants, then yes. The difference is that if it were a private event and an insurance company paid out then it wouldn't be news.
PAGANIcon...24-11-2010 @ 17:25 
I took about £4 out of Sooty's bottom
Member 685, 8719 posts
SQ 225, BP 150, DL 290
665.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
JC said:I hate the compensation culture and all that bulls**t......BUT

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to fathom that painting on a floor, with large wooden paint brushes is not the safest idea

He/she painting should have been at a table.....now someone is responsible for the fact he/she wasn't!

If I saw a load of kids painting on the floor with wooden brushes it wouldn't cross my mind for a second that it was dangerousConfused Surely allowing kids to play catch , ride a bike or god forbid playfight is on this basis tantamount to assisted suicide...
BoarIcon...24-11-2010 @ 17:36 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25558 posts
Administrator
Post Edited: 24.11.2010 @ 17:37 PM by Boar
we wont allow our children(we run a successful nursery) to hold anthing that is smaller than their eye sockets , eating food with a rolling pin is tough BUT you have to be safe , kids are stupid bas***ds.

horrible story , i would think some compensation is in order ,the kid could have easily died
drewIcon...24-11-2010 @ 17:54 
I thought Joplin choked on a sandwich?
Member 616, 8404 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 220
530.0 kgs @ 78.8kgs UnEq
Just throwing it out there but maybe the kid deserves it for getting pushed over by a girl
PompyIcon...24-11-2010 @ 17:57 
My opinions have run their course
Member 694, 3112 posts
drew said:Just throwing it out there but maybe the kid deserves it for getting pushed over by a girl

i wouldn't have said that if I was you.....

even with one eye the kid might read this and he's bigger than you.
drewIcon...24-11-2010 @ 18:25 
I thought Joplin choked on a sandwich?
Member 616, 8404 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 220
530.0 kgs @ 78.8kgs UnEq
Pompy said:
i wouldn't have said that if I was you.....
even with one eye the kid might read this and he's bigger than you.

True
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions