REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 219 guests

Is anyone ever actually jealous of another lifter?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

FinchIcon...02-01-2008 @ 16:14 
Gonna outlive my opposition !!
Member 123, 4038 posts
SQ 202.5, BP 135.0, DL 232.5
570.0 kgs @ 117kgs UnEq
I'm jealous of all those people who just walk in of the street and lift more than me after just a couple of sessions - bas***ds. However, I cannot be jealous of anybody that I know has trained hard to be lifting what they are lifting - only admiration for their hard work.
CuddlesIcon...02-01-2008 @ 16:28 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Carl said:
people that have friends who are 'bigger than you' are my favourite people

'my mate was twice as big as you'

holy s**t, he was 12'1" and 40 stone???? s**t the bed

I know that guy!

In all seriousness, Im jealous/envious of just about every lifter who lifts more than me so right now im jealous of just about every lifter! But thats just a personal thing, I hate it when people can do what i want to do and I cant. Although these are the people I also have the most respect for. So while i might be envious, thats because I think what they can do is impressive. Its not likely to cause me to criticise them, more likely complement them.

Everyone who criticises a s**t lift these days automatically becomes a jealous hater. I find it hard not to criticise a bad lift. Im not criticising the lifter. Its not their fault the lift gets passed. Im not really criticising the judge. Bad decisions happen in every sport. In fact I think they are part of sport. But when a bad decision happens in any sport it becomes a talking point. I go onto forums to discuss lifting (and make fun at Joni!) so f**k me, if I want to talk about a bad lift, im going to.

But I am jealous.
Martin1956Icon...02-01-2008 @ 16:42 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7734 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Carl said:

Don't tell me you're 6 foot and half an inch!Wink
BoarIcon...02-01-2008 @ 16:47 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25557 posts
Administrator
Post Edited: 02.01.2008 @ 16:47 PM
Im not talking about gear in general - i loved the stuff !!!

loved it !!

im talking about in the same competition ...sharing a platform and taking your title , your record , possibly putting his hand to his nose and doing that waving thing after you offer him your hand in congratulation ..... nah nah nah nahhhhhhhh

dont tell me that wouldnt irk you a little !!
WILLSANIcon...02-01-2008 @ 17:24 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Rick said:
tokar said:
Fatpete said:
I thought one could only be jealous (a negative emotion) of things that belonged to you. You are envious (a positive emotion) of things that belong to others. So I cannot be jealous of Big Jim's 390 squat, for example, as it is his and not mine, but I can be envious of it insomuch as I want one too. But me wanting it in no way deprives him of it. As long as I achieve what I want to achieve it is no concern of mine what others do. Except maybe for inspirational purposes. There are too few of us for any negativity to be allowed.

So I guess "NO" would be my answer

I understand jealousy as wanting something and being resentful of others having (or appearing to have) it, whether you have it or not. So you can jealously guard your own girlfriend, but you can also be jealous of others' achievements. The point is the resentment.

I understand envy as simply wanting something others have. Some people see this as negative. I see it as fairly neutral in itself. You might see it as positive if it's a motivational aid.

Pete is exactly right: if you say "I am jealous of my wife", it means that you fear that other people are envious of you because she's yours. If you say "I am envious of my wife", it means she has something that you want. Envy is a deadly sin, jealousy is not. This distinction was so well understood forty years ago that Fowler's doesn't even mention it, but has been almost completely lost now (even to public-school-and-Oxford linguists Happy).

You guys are anal. more tits and asses please.

http://www.photodiary.org/large/c_7641.jpg
CarlIcon...02-01-2008 @ 17:34 
Loves rugby league ...
Member 13, 14460 posts
SQ 230, BP 180.5, DL 262.5
673.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Administrator
Martin1956 said:
Carl said:

Don't tell me you're 6 foot and half an inch!Wink

be proud of your achievements Wink Grin
ThingIcon...02-01-2008 @ 18:07 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
this is an interesting post, i must admit that when i see the guys who i compete against in strongman and they do better or they have a better lift than me it just drive me forward to equal there lifts and so my next task it to improve my deadlift past the 300 mark next year.

and for people who use substantces to help them lift more then that just the nature of sports these days and the determination to lift heavier and better is always increasing and so so a lifter to deadlift 400+kg raw or equippined clean or not clean it a f**king awesome lift which ever way you look at it.

but getting back to the thread i think over all jealousy drives every lifter forward in there training, when you see some one lift 20kgs more than you you do think ' f**k you basterd he got 20kgs more ' or ' he did a 250 bench i wish i could do that' so n my book i would be jealous of that lifter.
SparrowIcon...02-01-2008 @ 18:40 
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 02.01.2008 @ 18:40 PM
I don't get jealous of people who are shorter than me because I'm taller than them.
I don't get jealous of people who are taller than me because I'm shorter then them.
I don't get jealous of people who are better looking than me because I've got a fitter wife than them.
I don't get jealous of people who are richer than me because I've got a bigger house than them.
I don't get jealous of people who are stronger than me bacause I've got a bigger..................Damn! Nearly worked out perfectly there Angry .

Of course all of the above is bo***cks anyway, just wanted to add someting useful to the threadGrin
AndyHIcon...02-01-2008 @ 18:55 
Member 143, 237 posts
SQ 340, BP 245, DL 310
895.0 kgs @ 120kgs Eq
My thoughts were always on the lines of "Why be jealous or envious, just add them to the list of people to beat" Happy Admittedly my list of people to try and beat always exceeded the list of those I had surpassed and I always knew some names would always be on the list, but then it always gave me something to strive for. I still remember the year I finally thought I was catching Clive (Henry) on the bench, just before his bench took a step up. However, rather than gnaw on my own liver I focused once again on the numbers on the wall. Because at the end of the day as long as you are beating the numbers on the wall nothing else really matters.
tokarIcon...02-01-2008 @ 21:09 
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 02.01.2008 @ 21:10 PM
Rick said:
tokar said:
Fatpete said:
I thought one could only be jealous (a negative emotion) of things that belonged to you. You are envious (a positive emotion) of things that belong to others. So I cannot be jealous of Big Jim's 390 squat, for example, as it is his and not mine, but I can be envious of it insomuch as I want one too. But me wanting it in no way deprives him of it. As long as I achieve what I want to achieve it is no concern of mine what others do. Except maybe for inspirational purposes. There are too few of us for any negativity to be allowed.

I understand jealousy as wanting something and being resentful of others having (or appearing to have) it, whether you have it or not. So you can jealously guard your own girlfriend, but you can also be jealous of others' achievements. The point is the resentment.

I understand envy as simply wanting something others have. Some people see this as negative. I see it as fairly neutral in itself. You might see it as positive if it's a motivational aid.

Pete is exactly right: if you say "I am jealous of my wife", it means that you fear that other people are envious of you because she's yours. If you say "I am envious of my wife", it means she has something that you want. Envy is a deadly sin, jealousy is not. This distinction was so well understood forty years ago that Fowler's doesn't even mention it, but has been almost completely lost now (even to public-school-and-Oxford linguists Happy).

Leaving the linguistics aside, I happen to think everything else Pete has said here is pretty much right too.

OK, let's not get too far into prescriptive v descriptive linguistics in a thread that wasn't designed for it, but I will just say that what Fowler said (or Lindley or Johnson or any other individual) a word meant is not necessarily what a word means (i.e. how it is used by a linguistic community) now. The fact that there is clearly disagreement (read vagueness) shows that there is no cut and dried definition.

In other words - if the distinction has been lost then, well, it isn't there anymore.
RobIcon...02-01-2008 @ 21:14 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Tokar, I reckon you're really jealous of Andy Bolton.
tokarIcon...02-01-2008 @ 21:16 
Невыносимо Высокомерный (RIP)
Member 11, 965 posts
SQ 190, BP 140, DL 255
585.0 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Rob said:
Tokar, I reckon you're really jealous of Andy Bolton.

That joke's been done!
RobIcon...02-01-2008 @ 21:16 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
LOL It's still funny though, insufferably so!!! Grin Grin
WILLSANIcon...02-01-2008 @ 21:31 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
tokar said:
Rick said:
tokar said:
Fatpete said:

Leaving the linguistics aside, I happen to think everything else Pete has said here is pretty much right too.

OK, let's not get too far into prescriptive v descriptive linguistics in a thread that wasn't designed for it, but I will just say that what Fowler said (or Lindley or Johnson or any other individual) a word meant is not necessarily what a word means (i.e. how it is used by a linguistic community) now. The fact that there is clearly disagreement (read vagueness) shows that there is no cut and dried definition.

In other words - if the distinction has been lost then, well, it isn't there anymore.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2072/1554236415_5b20a1ce94.jpg

And the anal/ass balance is restored.
CarlIcon...02-01-2008 @ 21:31 
Loves rugby league ...
Member 13, 14460 posts
SQ 230, BP 180.5, DL 262.5
673.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Administrator
LOOL

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions