Back Injury help.

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

thosebananasIconBack Injury help.23-05-2010 @ 17:16 
Trophy Hunter
Member 743, 3329 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 300
660.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
f**king injuries

don't have time or money to see a physio until next week.

Friday - Doing BTN jerks, last set was 100kg for 3. Caught the last rep in a weird way.. kind of a good morning and leaning to my left. Felt a wee twinge in my right erector.. give it a good stretch and it was fine.

Saturday - woke up and the erector was a bit stiff, wee stretch and i didnt notice it all day.

Today - Woke up and noticed a weird pain when sitting up in my bed. Kinda like a stomach cramp pain but in my lower right back/glutes. same sort of pain when getting into and out of seats. but not bad just a wee twinge. stretched it out and hit the gym

first few warm up sets on bench it was fine. I set up by putting my feet on the bench and then getting my arch sorted before putting feet on the ground. When i took my foot of the bench and put it on the floor on the floor there was a shooting pain down my back and into glutes. Did the set anyway, no pain unracking the bar, no pain repping. but a small twinge when re racking.

Did the five sets and noticed the same thing the whole time, not sore enough to stop training. just annoying.

finsihed bench, stretched out my back/glutes/adductors/abductors and put some freeze gel on it. felt a lot better. next up was militaries, first set no pain. second set there was pain just when i brought my head through and under the bar. pain got worse and worse as the sets went on so i called it a day.

did lots and lots of stretching and foam rolling of everything in the area and had a good few contrast showers.

about 2 hours on and whole lower back is tight as f**k.

Any idea what i might have done? and things i can do to help?

My ideas are to get a tennis ball and foam roll the f**k out of my back with lots of stretching before bed tonight and then about 3 times tomorrow. Should I use heat or ice?

Realise thats a massive first post.. cheers for reading if uve got this far.
fredhickIcon...23-05-2010 @ 17:31 
Let me show you how to do a hitler
Member 1070, 433 posts
SQ 275, BP 220, DL 310
805.0 kgs @ 116kgs UnEq
I suffer with alot of injuries and its obviously quite difficult to diagnose someone over the internet, I am also no pyshio or doctor so my knowledge is limited. The key would be first of all rest from training take a couple of days off, I know you dont want to but it will help you in the long run. Then you need to be icing it quite regualry maybe once every couple of hours for a good 20minutes at a time. Then if you can try and massage the area, just lightly, if you cant reach it foam roll, I would say tennis ball may be a little hard at this stage, but again I could be wrong. You have probably just pulled the muscle in a funny direction, so give it some rest and it should heal up good, if it doesnt find yourself a decent pyshio and get them to look at it I know of a very good one in the Surrey area if you live near there
thosebananasIcon...23-05-2010 @ 17:49 
Trophy Hunter
Member 743, 3329 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 300
660.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
fredhick said:I suffer with alot of injuries and its obviously quite difficult to diagnose someone over the internet, I am also no pyshio or doctor so my knowledge is limited. The key would be first of all rest from training take a couple of days off, I know you dont want to but it will help you in the long run. Then you need to be icing it quite regualry maybe once every couple of hours for a good 20minutes at a time. Then if you can try and massage the area, just lightly, if you cant reach it foam roll, I would say tennis ball may be a little hard at this stage, but again I could be wrong. You have probably just pulled the muscle in a funny direction, so give it some rest and it should heal up good, if it doesnt find yourself a decent pyshio and get them to look at it I know of a very good one in the Surrey area if you live near there

based in Glasgow mate.

going to go in tomorrow and get it moving - empty bar work and some cardio then stretching foam rolling again.

Ice is planned for 20 on 20 off when i finally get home (in work the now)
Col_AustinIcon...23-05-2010 @ 18:28 
99.8 340/220/335 895
Member 1002, 1560 posts
thosebananas said:
Any idea what i might have done?

Yes, ignored it, then trained through it.

thosebananas said:
stretched it out and hit the gym

When i took my foot of the bench and put it on the floor on the floor there was a shooting pain down my back and into glutes. Did the set anyway, no pain unracking the bar, no pain repping. but a small twinge when re racking.

Did the five sets and noticed the same thing the whole time, not sore enough to stop training. just annoying.

finsihed bench, stretched out my back/glutes/adductors/abductors and put some freeze gel on it. felt a lot better. next up was militaries, first set no pain. second set there was pain just when i brought my head through and under the bar. pain got worse and worse as the sets went on so i called it a day.

You put freeze gel on and kept on training???

thosebananas said:
going to go in tomorrow and get it moving - empty bar work and some cardio then stretching foam rolling again.
Ice is planned for 20 on 20 off when i finally get home (in work the now)

Why do you think going to the gym again is a good idea?

You need to rest it and ice it.
fredhickIcon...23-05-2010 @ 19:07 
Let me show you how to do a hitler
Member 1070, 433 posts
SQ 275, BP 220, DL 310
805.0 kgs @ 116kgs UnEq
Austins right mate, you have to suck it up and take a week off, I just recently strained my digital bicep tendons in both arms quite bad and I have a competition this weekend, all I want to do is hit the weights but I know I cant, sit rest and ice
thosebananasIcon...23-05-2010 @ 19:46 
Trophy Hunter
Member 743, 3329 posts
SQ 230, BP 130, DL 300
660.0 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
in reply to austin. the pain wasnt bad, just like an annoying wee niggle, right up to militaries. freeze gel was simply to take my mind off it.

not going to the gym to train. simply to warm it up and foam roll, stretch. dont have a foam roller at my house. also mainly a physological thing - i find it a lot easier to stick to my diet etc if i make it to the gym, even if it is just to walk on a treadmill.

if u got a comp nxt week surely u shudnt be training anyway - carbo loading and resting!
wellcome2Iconback23-05-2010 @ 20:34 
Member 945, 34 posts
SQ 230, BP 205.5, DL 280
715.5 kgs @ 103kgs Eq
pulled my back last week at work.round the kidney area been resting for a week now.tried physio couple of years ago had 6 sessions and fixed me at £42 a pop.so i wld advise rest m8 its working for me no gym wot so ever.
Col_AustinIcon...23-05-2010 @ 23:31 
99.8 340/220/335 895
Member 1002, 1560 posts
thosebananas said:in reply to austin. the pain wasnt bad, just like an annoying wee niggle, right up to militaries. freeze gel was simply to take my mind off it.

not going to the gym to train. simply to warm it up and foam roll, stretch. dont have a foam roller at my house. also mainly a physological thing - i find it a lot easier to stick to my diet etc if i make it to the gym, even if it is just to walk on a treadmill.

if u got a comp nxt week surely u shudnt be training anyway - carbo loading and resting!

Annoying wee niggles have a habit of turning into debilitating big injuries. My point about the freeze gel was that you cooled a key area of your body down and then kept on training. Not a good idea.

I understand the psychological impact missing training can have, but your time would have been better spent doing an hours worth of icing, 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off etc. Whilst it might provide some superficial relief, I'm not sure that movement and stretching really assists in the recovery and healing process. Save that for after whatever trauma has been caused to the muscle has repaired itself.
Ben_Tricky_BurgessIcon...24-05-2010 @ 21:15 
Member 86, 297 posts
thosebananas said:f**king injuries

don't have time or money to see a physio until next week.

Friday - Doing BTN jerks, last set was 100kg for 3. Caught the last rep in a weird way.. kind of a good morning and leaning to my left. Felt a wee twinge in my right erector.. give it a good stretch and it was fine.

Saturday - woke up and the erector was a bit stiff, wee stretch and i didnt notice it all day.

Today - Woke up and noticed a weird pain when sitting up in my bed. Kinda like a stomach cramp pain but in my lower right back/glutes. same sort of pain when getting into and out of seats. but not bad just a wee twinge. stretched it out and hit the gym

first few warm up sets on bench it was fine. I set up by putting my feet on the bench and then getting my arch sorted before putting feet on the ground. When i took my foot of the bench and put it on the floor on the floor there was a shooting pain down my back and into glutes. Did the set anyway, no pain unracking the bar, no pain repping. but a small twinge when re racking.

did lots and lots of stretching and foam rolling of everything in the area and had a good few contrast showers.

about 2 hours on and whole lower back is tight as f**k.

Any idea what i might have done? and things i can do to help?

My ideas are to get a tennis ball and foam roll the f**k out of my back with lots of stretching before bed tonight and then about 3 times tomorrow. Should I use heat or ice?

Realise thats a massive first post.. cheers for reading if uve got this far.

Our lass is a senior musculo-skeletal physio at a big hospital and i have back problems myself.

Hate to tell you this but pain shooting down a glute or leg is usually an indicator that the problem comes from one of your discs in your spine. The pain occurs because the disc has moved (or split/herniated but if it were that you'd proper know about it) and has touched/is touching the spinal cord and that sends the pain signals down the limbs. Thats as i understand it off her anyway.

I think the reason the muscle gets so tight is that it goes into spasm in a reaction to the problem with the spine - it locks tight so you cant bend the spine any more and furhter damage the disc.

If foam rolling helps then thats great but usually the way to treat bulging disc injuries is by spinal extension they call em McKenzie excersises i searched youtube for a vid:

My missis tells me the key is frequency so every hour at work i do 5-10 extensions. It helps the pain for sure.

Im not a doc or owt but i am suffering with this injury myself right now as it goes so thats my experience and hope it helps bud. Lets hope that is not what has happened in your case and its just a bit of a pulled muscle or something but if the pain is sharp in your low back and is shooting down't leg then try the above.
ThingIcon...24-05-2010 @ 21:22 
a large fingered spastic that demolishes plant
Member 89, 31706 posts
SQ 260, BP 220, DL 290
770.0 kgs @ 142kgs UnEq
Dude read the advice and try it. I have been suffering with a similar problem for two year mate and what I know know and from Reading other posts rest ice light stretching and genus ball work for a few days at least will help
mikex101Icon...26-05-2010 @ 09:26 
never too old
Member 637, 760 posts
bang in loads of L-Glutamine. 30-50g a day between meals. Works wonders on any muscle problems i get.
CuddlesIcon...26-05-2010 @ 09:41 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
Ben_Tricky_Burgess said:
Our lass is a senior musculo-skeletal physio at a big hospital and i have back problems myself.
Hate to tell you this but pain shooting down a glute or leg is usually an indicator that the problem comes from one of your discs in your spine. The pain occurs because the disc has moved (or split/herniated but if it were that you'd proper know about it) and has touched/is touching the spinal cord and that sends the pain signals down the limbs. Thats as i understand it off her anyway.
I think the reason the muscle gets so tight is that it goes into spasm in a reaction to the problem with the spine - it locks tight so you cant bend the spine any more and furhter damage the disc.
If foam rolling helps then thats great but usually the way to treat bulging disc injuries is by spinal extension they call em McKenzie excersises i searched youtube for a vid:

My missis tells me the key is frequency so every hour at work i do 5-10 extensions. It helps the pain for sure.
Im not a doc or owt but i am suffering with this injury myself right now as it goes so thats my experience and hope it helps bud. Lets hope that is not what has happened in your case and its just a bit of a pulled muscle or something but if the pain is sharp in your low back and is shooting down't leg then try the above.

I do tonnes of the exact same stretches and have done for years. I've had chronic back problems from the age of 14 and a physical therapist turned me on to the McKenzie method a few years back. The last few years my back has been the best that I can remember and I now do it for prehab rather than rehab.

Of course the usual caveats apply, I am not a doctor, I have no f**king clue what you have done to your back and you should get a professional to look at it etc.
Ben_Tricky_BurgessIcon...26-05-2010 @ 11:41 
Member 86, 297 posts
Cuddles said:
I do tonnes of the exact same stretches and have done for years. I've had chronic back problems from the age of 14 and a physical therapist turned me on to the McKenzie method a few years back. The last few years my back has been the best that I can remember and I now do it for prehab rather than rehab.
Of course the usual caveats apply, I am not a doctor, I have no f**king clue what you have done to your back and you should get a professional to look at it etc.

Assuming you're not in pain and doing them for prehab, how much frequency/volume do you do them with matey? After my current flare-up has died down i'm thinking of a few 'reps' every morning before work and maybe a few at lunchtime every day as prehab.

Not being able to go through a complete training cycle without missing a few weeks for back pain is doing my swede in at the min.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions