REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 134 guests

Should British strongman have a federation?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

WILLSANIcon...28-04-2010 @ 20:23 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Luke said:
Needs to be run by people who's run a major contest and have competed themselves, e.g Colin Bryce or Glenn Ross

I wouldnt want to speak for anyone else but I imagine if those guys wanted to set something like that up theyd have done it already.

Madcowdrey said:I think 105s should have there own federation!!

I think this is a solid point. from what I know of the opens there appears to be alot more politics involved than in the 105s (and 90s). presumably down to the money that is involved at that level. I would guess everyone in the lower weight clases is in it for the love which is a good basis to start an organisation on.
BillLyndonIconAustralian Prospective.29-04-2010 @ 05:00 
Member 1339, 1 posts
Hello Gents,
This is Bill Lyndon from Australia Ill just do a quick Bio of my background before I get onto this topic, my background is Powerlifting ,Highland Games and Strongman ..I have been at for a long time with my best being competing in WSM 1994 TO 1998. I HAVE been promoting Events in Australia since 1997 and done a few contract set ups outside Australia.. This is not a trumpet blow just an intro. Grin
http://www.fasc.com.au/billlyndon.php
For the past year or so I have put in considerable time and effort in setting up a format for a federation in Australia ,the main focus is around setting standards for events ,creation of a ranking system ,formalizing records and putting up a structure that has senior Athletes either as Athlete Representatives (A mentor or Advice Giver).or with the Main Directors all experienced in this field ect ect... this is still under construction and requires my effort to sort more for the Structure of the Federation. www.fasc.com.au
My personal belief for this sport wishing to be taken serious is it will to need to have standards and a functional development program in place to further develop its opportunities both for its Athletes recognition of efforts ,and to be attractive to Government bodies with the focus on Sponsorship opportunities of both promoter and Athletes.
International .
As at this moment there is no real governing body for Strongman at the International level to formalized events/equipment and record keeping so that all groups are in Sinc, recently these was an issue with the Ukraine organization UFSA against a break away group headed by Vasyl V with there League of champions claiming to have broken IFSA records, as there is no IFSA any more and with most records were done / created pre IFSA Disbanding…. Its very hot topic at the moment and will remain that way until there is a solution.
http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2010/Apr/Ukr...
There is a very real need to have a new International Federation to focus on record keeping and basic standards for Events, the big question his how do you have a standard format for records to be broken as we all know each implement is not the same and records will always be up for question regarding this
..But if you select say ten events all the most standard of Strongman events and put a simple rule structure in place to validate the equipment, check the dimensions and weights and formalize them with strict refereeing via a record data base this will make record attempts true and correct.

For the Athletes in the U.K. There are many involved in strongman and the interest is growing by the year for new athletes to enter the sport either from other power sports or just hobbyist’s wanting to lift big rocks ,there are more waiting that may come from a structured sport i.e powerlifting,wht lifting ,throwers ect ect that are waiting to see something real in the form of a sporting body before they come out to play.
I think formalizing all your efforts and creation of a Federation will only improve your standing in the International community as a well being seen as an organized group.
The problem will be who is going to put there hand up and make this happen ? They obviously need to have a background in the sport and have knowledge of the mechanics of the sport and be willing to part with time and cash to get it up and running.. And finally they will need to convince people that it is the right way to go, that is the hardest part.
As for politics in any form most is caused by people complaining, if you have no one to complain too you have no voice.

Planet Hercules.
My current project is developing a web site that will house all strength records with the focus on Strongman and Highland games; I have a section for England and Scotland. And have asked Mr. James Grahame to track down your strongman records to be posted on this site.
If there is a list of Current official Strongman records please send them through.
http://www.planethercules.com/records_england.php
http://www.planethercules.com/records_scotland.php

I will also have Forum here very soon.
http://www.planethercules.com/forum/index.php

All the best and Train Hard.
Bill Lyndon
www.fasc.com.au
www.planethercules.com
www.aussiepower.biz
little_aIcon...29-04-2010 @ 10:13 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Never mind this stuff. Why is this cardiolympian stud muffin on the front page of a SM thread? FPMSL

http://www.sugdenbarbell.co.uk/uploads/news/rick-power.jpg
PAGANIcon...29-04-2010 @ 10:36 
I took about £4 out of Sooty's bottom
Member 685, 8719 posts
SQ 225, BP 150, DL 290
665.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
If I have to pay £25/30 to a fed I wont compete again*.I'm happy to pay higher comp entry fee's as I know people personally who have ended up well out of pocket organising comps but I'm not paying for random c**ts to waste my hard earned on being important and or putting their kids through school, I do that already for politicians and works union reps.Next news we will be having a strongman union complete with union fee's and ten years down the line there will be a fed official/union man expenses scandal.

* this would be a massive loss to the sport.
richscottIcon...29-04-2010 @ 11:10 
Shoulderz like boulderz
Member 842, 479 posts
but a fed would ensure that nobody is out of pocket as a result of organising a comp, i have put on two comps and have been out of pocket on both, and i know Craig who is putting on the Englands 105s is having to put his hands in his pockets for that. As for expenses i see your point but if trusted people are running things then this should not be an issue. I see peoples arguements against it, but a sport has to have structure to progress. I would be happy to do whatever i can to help get something up and running, who else would be??
JCIcon...29-04-2010 @ 11:17 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
richscott said:but a fed would ensure that nobody is out of pocket as a result of organising a comp, i have put on two comps and have been out of pocket on both, and i know Craig who is putting on the Englands 105s is having to put his hands in his pockets for that. As for expenses i see your point but if trusted people are running things then this should not be an issue. I see peoples arguements against it, but a sport has to have structure to progress. I would be happy to do whatever i can to help get something up and running, who else would be??

Richard, I would be really interested if you could post some info re comp costs

I have looked into organising a comp. I got a venue for free, I could transport equipment for free, which left my only forseable cost as t-shirts and any prize goodies

I'm extremley confident I could raise at least 250 to cover this, and you would also have the 150 from entry fees

I am puzzled (and maybe a bit naive too)
richscottIcon...29-04-2010 @ 11:23 
Shoulderz like boulderz
Member 842, 479 posts
i only lost out on comps, due to giving prize money at one comp and not getting enough entries to cover that, and at the last one i gave craig some cash from the entry fees towards the englands 105s final, otherwise yes expensis arent massive but there is always a risk of losing out.

Just more money would bring

Better Venues
Better Events
Better Prizes

With all those would bring more spectators, raise awareness and so on and so on.
strange1Icon...29-04-2010 @ 11:25 
Member 535, 618 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 140, DL 275
682.5 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
what we need is a commity type fed where the lowest ranking guy's have just as much say in how thing's are run.

you say you would rather pay higher entry fee's than pay £25 to a fed. this is fine a fed could have day memberships.

as Rich said a fed would meen the lads that put on the comps are not out of pocket. by a help getting more sponsorship in the sport b releasing centeral cash and c having centreal contract's set up for T-shirts and trophies ect at discount rate's

in my mind the pro's for having a fed far out weigh the cons
JCIcon...29-04-2010 @ 11:30 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 29.04.2010 @ 11:30 AM by JC
To me though boys, it seems lads are out of pocket when stumping up their own prize money

Dont see the obsession with prize money, you dont get it with any other amateur sports in this country, yet still get mass participation

I dont think its going to be any easier for a fed than a sinlge individual to attract sponsorship at amateur level
strange1Icon...29-04-2010 @ 11:31 
Member 535, 618 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 140, DL 275
682.5 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
also you would be covered by insurance with a fed. as lets face it doing this sport you are more prone to injury. and for £25 a year to cover me if i rip a bi of f**k my back i think its a small price to pay.
CarlIcon...29-04-2010 @ 11:31 
Loves rugby league ...
Member 13, 14460 posts
SQ 230, BP 180.5, DL 262.5
673.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
Administrator
prize money at a novice level without a firm structure is silly
PompyIcon...29-04-2010 @ 11:31 
My opinions have run their course
Member 694, 3112 posts
I think it would be a good idea so long as you don't end up like PL or BB where a newcomer really has a hard time working out what feds there are and what is what. In my eyes this would be inevitable, look how much disagreement there is on here over minor issues and how things should be done! People would surely break off or lose trust in the head of the federation.
strange1Icon...29-04-2010 @ 11:35 
Member 535, 618 posts
SQ 267.5, BP 140, DL 275
682.5 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
JC said:
I dont think its going to be any easier for a fed than a sinlge individual to attract sponsorship at amateur level

if you have say 5 blokes in a fed with contacts at 5 differant supp firms they are going to get stuff easier than joe newbie who doesnt.

also as a fed grow's the networking possibilitys are endless
JCIcon...29-04-2010 @ 11:40 
technical retard
Member 172, 36827 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 29.04.2010 @ 11:40 AM by JC
strange1 said:
if you have say 5 blokes in a fed with contacts at 5 differant supp firms they are going to get stuff easier than joe newbie who doesnt.
also as a fed grow's the networking possibilitys are endless

I would imagine I could get more sponsorship out of my own firm than 3-5 supps firms

From what I have heard, your not likely to get more than a few supps from them

I know nothing of insurance or anything like that, but I would be suprised if lifting in GBPF and you for example tore your chest and couldn't work for 8 weeks, you'd be compensated financially? Am I wrong?

Surely you aware of the inherent risks when competing
Martin_JonesIcon...29-04-2010 @ 12:03 
Member 566, 813 posts
SQ 280, BP 175, DL 340
795.0 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
The biggest outlay cost for a comp should be marketing!!! but no one seems to think about that whilst running a comp. With the correct marketing in place the spectators will increase. Therefore the popularity of strongman will increase.

Time and time I attend comps or compete in comps where there are very small number of spectators. Most of who are friends and family members of the athletes.

A FED would advertise in magazines, local press and radio. The sponsors will be queing up to get there names down, it all boils down to brand awareness. Once you promise the sponsors something in return then you can start asking for money towards cost.

Feds will offer guidance on running comps and experienced organisors can offer there help through the reconised affilations. It works very well for bodybuilding so why can't we be structured the same way.

We need a number of people with the skills and comittment to push forward the strongman community. These people will be in regions and should be paid a small fee for there efforts. If you pay people they will work harder, you can't expect people to do this for free, hence the annual fee!!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions