Lower back ache/pain?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

NamonsterIcon...22-01-2010 @ 08:15 
always trolling for a reaction
Member 753, 1280 posts
nathan said:from reading this topic if i was owen i would be s**tting myself

love the positiveness

just to recap owen

in two weeks ull be in a wheel chair and 6 months time u wont be able to get out ur bed

hope that answers everything

I read that somewhere too.
luke00Icon...22-01-2010 @ 08:21 
either Im a penis or Im not a penis
Member 722, 2977 posts
SQ 300, BP 220, DL 350
870.0 kgs @ 123kgs UnEq
For goodness sakeRoll-Eyes It's simple if you are that worried see a physio, none of us on here are experts but IMO it will be nothing too serious. But yeah cancer and a wheelchair are definate possibilityGrin
PintIcon...22-01-2010 @ 08:38 
Member 424, 532 posts
SQ 190, BP 145, DL 220
555.0 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Just a thought... If your lower back pain is to one side or the other (rather than central) it is often caused by HAMSTRINGS rather than actual back injury ....Bear with me!!!

When squatting or deadlifting, there is a lot of pressure on the hamstrings, these generally loosen when excercising so there is no real pain in training, but when the hamstrings tighten up after training stops, they shorten. This causes a pull across the lower back. If this is the case you will find it hard to lean forward (imagine reaching over the bath to put on the taps) without putting a hand down to support yourself.

Not trying to diagnose anyone, but back pain is often caused by hamstrings tightening - it is well worth checking this out with your physio or GP. Hamstring stretches before and after training are often helpfulWink
CuddlesIcon...22-01-2010 @ 08:57 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
nathan said:from reading this topic if i was owen i would be s**tting myself

love the positiveness

just to recap owen

in two weeks ull be in a wheel chair and 6 months time u wont be able to get out ur bed

hope that answers everything

Come on dude, the advice of seeing an expert is pretty f**king sensible, not negative, sensible.
nathanIcon...22-01-2010 @ 09:10 
no longer sugdens strongest man
Member 455, 1336 posts
Pint said:Just a thought... If your lower back pain is to one side or the other (rather than central) it is often caused by HAMSTRINGS rather than actual back injury ....Bear with me!!!

When squatting or deadlifting, there is a lot of pressure on the hamstrings, these generally loosen when excercising so there is no real pain in training, but when the hamstrings tighten up after training stops, they shorten. This causes a pull across the lower back. If this is the case you will find it hard to lean forward (imagine reaching over the bath to put on the taps) without putting a hand down to support yourself.

Not trying to diagnose anyone, but back pain is often caused by hamstrings tightening - it is well worth checking this out with your physio or GP. Hamstring stretches before and after training are often helpfulWink

thats what u cal a sensible post
b_rexIcon...22-01-2010 @ 10:22 
jogging bottoms are like sweat pants
Member 935, 972 posts
SQ 220, BP 120, DL 227.5
567.5 kgs @ 97.6kgs UnEq
Pint said:Just a thought... If your lower back pain is to one side or the other (rather than central) it is often caused by HAMSTRINGS rather than actual back injury ....Bear with me!!!

There is some truth to this, but in many cases it is not caused by tight hamstrings as such, but by tight hip flexors. Check your posture - if you are walking around with your arse pushed back and a big arch in your low back, you have anterior pelvic tilt caused by tight hip flexors and spinal erectors. Your hip tilts forward, which pulls on your hamstrings and makes them seem inflexible and stiff. Stretching your hamstrings just makes the pelvic tilt worse. I hvave APT and it was giving me some jip earlier in the year. I found that daily stretching of my hip flexors and plenty of foam rolling of my flexors, IT band and adductors really helped within 2-3 weeks.
OwenIcon...22-01-2010 @ 16:38 
Member 1024, 87 posts
SQ 195, BP 140, DL 225
560.0 kgs @ 91kgs UnEq
lol yeah cancer, thanks Grin

But anyway, yeah its too the left of my back mate. So that seems pretty sensible idea.
Just do the usual stretches yeah? What stretches hip flexors though?
OwenIcon...22-01-2010 @ 16:39 
Member 1024, 87 posts
SQ 195, BP 140, DL 225
560.0 kgs @ 91kgs UnEq
Oh and i bike to work - doesnt biking shorten them?
b_rexIcon...22-01-2010 @ 16:44 
Member 935, 972 posts
SQ 220, BP 120, DL 227.5
567.5 kgs @ 97.6kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 22.01.2010 @ 16:44 PM by b_rex
Yeah biking will shorten them because you're almost always in hip flexion. The leaning forward will also fatigue the spinal erectors.

To stretch the hip flexors, hold a lunge position for time. If you turn your chest towards the opposite leg, it will increase the stretch. Likewise, you can raise your arms overhead to increase the stretch.
OwenIcon...22-01-2010 @ 16:54 
Member 1024, 87 posts
SQ 195, BP 140, DL 225
560.0 kgs @ 91kgs UnEq
Seems to fit the bill tbh mate. Loose when excersising, tight after sitting. Ill get stretching.
b_rexIcon...22-01-2010 @ 16:57 
Member 935, 972 posts
SQ 220, BP 120, DL 227.5
567.5 kgs @ 97.6kgs UnEq
Look into doing some glute activation drills before you train as well:

Stretch your hips
Do some glute mobility drills (e.g. bird dogs, glute bridges)
Train
Tom_MartinIcon...22-01-2010 @ 17:43 
No one believed him anyway.
Member 958, 11411 posts
SQ 410, BP 215, DL 425
1050.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
someone mentioned not stretching your hamstrings to solve anterior pelvic tilt. I wouldn't reccomend this. IMO the answer is continued work on hamstring flexibility, and a lot of work on lower back and hip flexor flexibility.

Your hamstrings almost certainly are not too flexible, not stretching them will just continue to shorten them, and if you're lucky you'll be forced into a better pelvic allignment (but this is unlikely, your shorter hamstrings will pull be pulling the back of your pelvis, your tight hip flexors and tight lower back will be pulling the pelvis around the opposite direction and you're back will be very sore) This will then get worse when you try and squat/deadlift whatever. everything will be so solid and jammed up then when you get to the bottom of a squat or deadlift, your shortened hamstrings will pull you into a really rounded lower back position, and then your lower back pain will get worse.

So carry on stretching your hamstrings, and do tonnes of flexibility/foam rolling work on your hip flexors and back. Forcing your pelvis into position by shortening muscles is a BAD IDEA!
mikeypIcon...22-01-2010 @ 20:38 
bollocks to global warming
Member 475, 1735 posts
SQ 200, BP 125, DL 235
560.0 kgs @ 115kgs UnEq
b_rex said:
There is some truth to this, but in many cases it is not caused by tight hamstrings as such, but by tight hip flexors. Check your posture - if you are walking around with your arse pushed back and a big arch in your low back, you have anterior pelvic tilt caused by tight hip flexors and spinal erectors. Your hip tilts forward, which pulls on your hamstrings and makes them seem inflexible and stiff. Stretching your hamstrings just makes the pelvic tilt worse. I hvave APT and it was giving me some jip earlier in the year. I found that daily stretching of my hip flexors and plenty of foam rolling of my flexors, IT band and adductors really helped within 2-3 weeks.

Great advice here, I suffer from this and need to really work on stretching, I find it feels great after training but find it really boring on non training days. I think its my adductors and hip flexors which are tight, how do you roll the adductors on the foam roller?, interesting you also roll the ITB.
WesIcon...22-01-2010 @ 21:00 
31.6 and Obese !! Get in....
Member 869, 1355 posts
SQ 320, BP 200, DL 310
830.0 kgs @ 97.5kgs Eq
Stretching has definately helped with my lower back pain, it's still there but its a hell of a lot better, it'll probably never go completely as its the nature of the sport.

I just chuck in a stretch or 2 for 30 secs when I'm just standing around, like waiting for the kids to come out of school (my kids not random one's) !!!
PintIcon...23-01-2010 @ 09:22 
Member 424, 532 posts
SQ 190, BP 145, DL 220
555.0 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Wes said:

I just chuck in a stretch or 2 for 30 secs when I'm just standing around, like waiting for the kids to come out of school (my kids not random one's) !!!

LOL!! Good recovery!Tongue

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions