REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 94 guests

Is Competitive Powerlifting a Complete Farce?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Martin1956Icon...19-09-2007 @ 20:18 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7731 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Originally posted by Tony...
Martin if you don't curb the attitude I'm going to drag iHawk over here and let him loose on your ass.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
badboy007Icon...19-09-2007 @ 20:24 
Dirty little devil
Member 138, 356 posts
Post Edited: 19.09.2007 @ 20:28 PM
Fair play Martin, you are entitled to your opinion.

I didn't name names for the very reasons you stated, I may have been talking about other lifters (yes there are guys who competed in BWLA who have squatted that in local- non sanctioned meets) BUT you won't guess who that is. So assume all you want.

I have knowledge given to me off people who I trust more than anyone else in powerlifting. I do not want to go into this on the board as it is not the point and don't want to stir s**t with people who I consider good friends.

I am from the West Mids. I have trained in some very well known gyms. I may even know family members of individuals.. not saying I do... I may know former coaches of certain individuals and what they have been caught doing... AGAIN, I MAY or MAY NOT know this. I MAY or MAY NOT know of certain tactics lifters use... Do i? Of course not.

I've been dragged into this debate and do NOT want to accuse individual lifters.

If you think what I am stating is internet rumours you are sadly mistaken.

So again, PLEASE NO NAMES! !

Can we edit names out please? I don't mind editing my own comments if necessary.
FatpeteIcon...19-09-2007 @ 20:25 
Hyper obese Pete
Member 70, 17865 posts
SQ 322.5, BP 205, DL 300
827.5 kgs @ 133kgs Eq
Originally posted by little_a...
Far cry from "All refs are t**ts"
Could you condense all the above to something more managable like...
"I'll never wear a squat suit"
"I'll never wear a bench shirt"
"I'll never wear wraps"
"If you cant put it on yourself you shouldnt wear it"

Indeed it is. Those were as I saw things then, the later ones were as I see things now. The cause of the referee was championed and furthered considerably by a conversation with that splendid fellow by the name of Barry Nelson, who during a fag break outside Rhino's (for him not me) explained the world of powerlifting as seen through the eyes of a referee. I for my part explained it as seen from the point of view of the lifter. I was an enlightening experience for me, and I would like to think for him too. The key to most things is communication and a willingness to see things from the other person's point of view. I am now, as I was then, totally unrepentent. We live and learn, things change, and the wise change with them
Martin1956Icon...19-09-2007 @ 20:51 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7731 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Don't think there's any need for me to edit names, badboy. You mentioned a 965+ squat, Clive did a 968 this year, it seemed pretty clear who it was aimed at. If it was aimed at someone else, just say that I've misunderstood your post and leave it there. I've put up the Wilks progress of the two names Jim mentioned to illustrate the way they have improved over time. If Jim had any doubts at all, he wouldn't have come on here and backed them, he'd just have said nothing. You tend to have a fair idea about your immediate rivals and team mates when you start competing on the national and international stages.

I'll continue to agree that there is drugs use in powerlifting and continue to argue with people who say that virtually everyone is on it.

Btw, if Clive is on one of these amazing new undetectable ones, he's taking the lower body one because his bench this year was 20 kilos down on last year.
badboy007Icon...19-09-2007 @ 20:54 
Dirty little devil
Member 138, 356 posts
Post Edited: 19.09.2007 @ 21:05 PM
That would be a good one.

There are other guys who have squatted 960lbs+ in WM at unsanctioned comps and got pretty close in International Comps..

I may bump into CH being in his neck of the woods hence why i wanted the edit!

Also I made it clear I didn't want this to disintegrate into a witch hunt, I hate those.

You've made a valid point RE: consistent progress over many years.
brynevansIcon...19-09-2007 @ 21:35 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
This is one of the things that really bugs me about internet forums, people go and make wild unsubstantiated accusations without naming names but it is obvious who they are directed at. There are several lifters on the British squad who have been on it for many years and are subject to tests several times per year, all the squad have been tested at the last two training sessions i'm informed as there are sanctions against BWLA if a lifter fails a test at an international event. There is no big money involved in powerlifting so it would amaze me if any of these guys were self funding a team of scientists who could ensure that all traces of the gear they take was "missed" by the drug testers.
Can't people accept that some lifters are just good lifters rather than cheats
badboy007Icon...19-09-2007 @ 21:43 
Dirty little devil
Member 138, 356 posts
Post Edited: 19.09.2007 @ 21:45 PM
some lifting is just unbelieavable though! Incredible!

I think it comes from a few things;

1) Human nature
2) Logic
3) Reasoning
4) Stuff you hear/see/deduce from senior figures in British Powerlifting.

Of course the mind plays tricks continuously, and since we will never know.. It's a poitnless debate.

BTW Bryn, I'd thought you would know that there is more than one lifter who has/is capable of a 960lbs squat in West Mids! People get forgotten!
BoarIcon...19-09-2007 @ 21:52 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25557 posts
Administrator
most people take the path of least resistance , thats human nature , there are some truly awsome lifters out there who may or may not have chosen that path, but we will never know who , what ,why and when ,unless blatent slander / defamation is happening i dont see a problem with healthy debate
badboy007Icon...19-09-2007 @ 21:57 
Dirty little devil
Member 138, 356 posts
Post Edited: 19.09.2007 @ 22:42 PM
I also never accused anyone, I said, if someone can squat 960lbs single ply, ipf lifetime drug free then they are the best squatter on the planet. Unless you guys think there are better drug free squatters ever?

Surely this is a compliment?

We all use our reasoning to end at our decisions..(Bryn please see my PM!)

Not the original point of this point.. Although the fact we as lifters are concerned about the drugs issue is problem enough IMO.

You could get paranoid with how people react to free-speech and open convo.

If anyone thinks I have defamed at any point, feel free to PM me for my address to write to and have your legal team work on it Grin lol. (keeping the suit in the cupboard for now)
AlexIcon...20-09-2007 @ 00:02 
Picca Boo
Member 16, 1204 posts
SQ 140, BP 130, DL 200
470.0 kgs @ 77kgs UnEq
I couldn't care less about drug use, when you consider the plethory of factors that you can't change that affect strength...muscle belly length, height, limb length, testosterone levels, SHBG levels, exposure to pre-natal testosterone, androgen receptor content, number of fast-twitch fibres, myostatin expression...I don't care about people using AAS, one of the few things you can actually change to improve performance.

IMO equipped lifting is worse for chances of getting into the Olympics, I can't see an audience accepting it.

I do think it should be though, it is more Olympian than power-walking or synchronised swimming Roll-Eyes Roll-Eyes. Can't get a better test of absolute strength than pulling xxxkg off the floor to lockout.
JoniIcon...20-09-2007 @ 07:50 
left the country satisfied
Member 10, 19241 posts
SQ 240, BP 150, DL 270
660.0 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
dude, dont diss power walking, its brutal and technical Wink

(i watch powerwalking when its in the olympics, lol! Well, i watch pretty much anything)
little_aIcon...20-09-2007 @ 08:45 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Post Edited: 20.09.2007 @ 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Martin1956...
Sorry - you're completely wrong. The Olympic Motto is "Citius, Altius, Fortius", which translates as "Faster/Swifter, Higher, Stronger".
How am I completely wrong? Go back and read my post. I didnt say whether it was or wasnt. I asked the question. Does that make me wrong in some way?

If the purpose of the Olympics in part is to allow the world's strongest people to compete, then why does the world's strongest sport not get in when synchronised swimming and synchronised diving do?
TBH I neither know nor care, hence the reason I made no reference to it

The Olympic Flag was with the five rings was adopted in 1914, but because of WW1 was used for the first time at the Antwerp Games in 1920. Again nothing to do with the Nazis.
The Olympic rings, another universally recognized symbol of the games since they made their debut in 1920 at Antwerp, Belgium, have their own Nazi connection.
Originally, they were designed in 1913 by Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the IOC and father of the modern Olympic movement, for a 1914 World Olympic Congress in Paris. They were supposed to symbolize the first five Olympics, but the congress disbanded when Archduke Ferdinand of Austria was assassinated in Sarajevo, triggering World War I.
Leni Riefenstahl, the Olympia filmmaker who also chronicled Hitler's rise to power, had the rings carved into a stone altar at the ancient Greek city of Delphi, spawning the myth that they were a symbol dating more than two millennia.
With Hitler's influence, the rings became part of the Nazi pageantry at Berlin - and they've come to symbolize the Olympics ever since.

The Olympic Flame tradition started in 1928, well before the Berlin Games. The flame relay was first staged in Berlin and has continued ever since.

The torch relay that culminates in the ceremonial lighting of the flame at Olympic stadium was ordered by Adolf Hitler, who tried to turn the 1936 Berlin Games into a celebration of the Third Reich.
"The torch relay is so ingrained in the modern choreography that most people today assume it was a revival of a pagan tradition - unaware that it was actually concocted for Hitler's Games in Berlin," author Tony Perrottet writes in a new book, The Naked Olympics.
A sacred flame did burn 24 hours a day at Olympia. And relay racers passed a torch to light a sacrificial cauldron at some other ancient festivals. But the ancient Greeks opened their Olympics by word of mouth, sending heralds - not torchbearers - running through the streets.
The modern tradition of spiriting the Olympic torch to the main stadium didn't become a fixture of the Games until 1936, when a 12-day run opened the Games in Berlin.
To try and associate a festival to bring the youth of the world together in sporting friendship with the Nazis is totally wrong.

Even if there may be a shred of evidence to prove that association?
We can do the researching google thing all day long mate. Will never be proven one way or another. Lets take a step back eh?

Is the record still set beyond any shadow of a doubt Bryn?
badboy007Icon...20-09-2007 @ 09:28 
Dirty little devil
Member 138, 356 posts
Post Edited: 20.09.2007 @ 09:31 AM
You can join my club after that dismantlement Andy..

Think Tokar is already in it!

Just to add, whatever the olympics WAS about.. is not WHAT IT IS ABOUT.

I think we all know what the olympics is about...

££££
RobIcon...20-09-2007 @ 09:43 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
Are you sure? A lot of the host cities have made massive losses after hosting the games? I think there is still a lot of prestige associated with the games, not just financial aspects.
badboy007Icon...20-09-2007 @ 09:49 
Dirty little devil
Member 138, 356 posts
It's not the cities that are making the money..

It's the corporations etc..

Nike? Adidas? £££

I would also question, who is making a loss? The governments who fund the olympics? What about the people funding the gov'ts (central banks/banks) - they will be making huge cash. ££

The whole 'we made a loss' is such a smokescreen and so hard to judge I think it is almost certainly untrue. What about benefits of mulitiplication? Future stream of benefits? At what rate do we discount those?

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions