REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 156 guests

Is Competitive Powerlifting a Complete Farce?

Users viewing topic: & 4 Guests

IainKendrickIcon...19-09-2007 @ 10:09 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
I heard that the IOC where trying to reduce/maintain the no of sports at the olympics? Hence Powerlifting in any format would have a hard time being accepted at the moment.
badboy007Icon...19-09-2007 @ 10:26 
Dirty little devil
Member 138, 356 posts
Post Edited: 19.09.2007 @ 20:30 PM
Martin..

I would never grass up anyone, just not my personality. It's one of the things I hate the most and will never do! Besides they are people too.

I think you need to re-read my post, I never for once said that ALL the top level guys were on it.. I in fact believe some people are just beastly, strong and drug free.

... (edited in the hope others will edit out their comments too)

I think it's different in the NW to a certain extent. Alot of the guys are clean, but *lifetime* clean or gear,growth,igf,peptides?

I did not want this to turn into..Someone's told me this..Someone's told me that..

Powerlifting may make it to the olympics, as unequipped. This would be a HUGE result and a step in the right direction.
CuddlesIcon...19-09-2007 @ 10:33 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
There was talk of weightlifting being under threat at the olympics about 2 years ago. When the IOC were talking of culling sports, they were targeting some that they considered less 'legitimate' (read, where drugs are used, although funnily sprinting was never mentioned, nor cycling etc etc).

Powerlifting has no chance of being in the olympics. The differing levels of gear, the multiple federations, the drugs issue. Whats the benefit to the olmypics of having powerlifting? It'd hardly be a big crowd puller.
RobIcon...19-09-2007 @ 10:33 
Does f*ck all for SugdenBarbell.co.uk
Member 1, 7173 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 110, DL 205
497.5 kgs @ 107kgs UnEq
Administrator
It would be interesting as hell if it did... I would love to see what sort of numbers professional power-lifters could put up if they had the infrastructures we see in places such as China and their olympic lifters.
Martin1956Icon...19-09-2007 @ 11:05 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7739 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Badboy, I didn't aim my reply at you. It was more a general comment and a reflection on previous discussions elsewhere.

Life is a series of self fulfilling prophesies and if powerlifters themselves, or at least ones in a position of influence, believe powerlifting will never become an Olympic sport, then it won't - simple as.

Very briefly, the Olympic motto translates as Faster, Higher, Stronger. Powerlifting is the ultimate strength sport. If we can have synchronised swimming, handball and the like, why not the ultimate strength sport?

As for no powerlifting if there's weightlifting, we have two entirely different forms of canoeing, and synchronised swimming takes place alongside swimming and diving, so that's no argument. Not saying it will ever happen, just that we shouldn't stop trying. And everytime a powerlifter knocks powerlifting, they reduce the chance of it happening.
badboy007Icon...19-09-2007 @ 11:12 
Dirty little devil
Member 138, 356 posts
I think we will only ever see it as an UNEQUIPPED sport...not equipped.

The main sponsors of the Olympics would never let Inzer, Titan, etc advertise on such a huge stage.

I wonder how far the envelope of unequipped lifting would go? I think 400-270-400 would be possible for a SHW.
badboy007Icon...19-09-2007 @ 11:13 
Dirty little devil
Member 138, 356 posts
What's happening with the Commonwealth's? are they back on?
little_aIcon...19-09-2007 @ 11:30 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Originally posted by Fatpete...
Before we all start getting giddy. Let me just say that I like leaving things to other people. I like people to organize dates, venues, officials, equipment, MCs, scales, scoreboards. I enjoy leaving all that to someone else, and all of these people deserve our thanks. Because they leave me free to concentrate on the lifting, I roll in and everything is sorted, I lift, I leave, and the people are still there sorting. Good on them I say. Referees tend to take most stick and probably always will, but we can't do it without them. So before you start founding rival federations run by the lifters, just think what is actually involved here, and count me out. I like it just the way it is. Poeple running round organizing contests for me to lift in, whilst I lie on the couch shoving pies into my big fat face. Sounds good to me. To all the unsung heros a huge thank you. See you in December.

Far cry from "All refs are t**ts"
Could you condense all the above to something more managable like...
"I'll never wear a squat suit"
"I'll never wear a bench shirt"
"I'll never wear wraps"
"If you cant put it on yourself you shouldnt wear it"

Not having a dig Ped, just writing out motto's for this years Xmas crackersWink
little_aIcon...19-09-2007 @ 11:41 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
Originally posted by Martin1956...
Very briefly, the Olympic motto translates as Faster, Higher, Stronger.

But is that actually the Olympic motto?
Both the 5 rings and the Olympic flame were 'invented' by the Nazi's for the 36 games. In short they have no history in the Olympics and although they make great spectacle they were nonetheless put there by one of the most hateful organisations ever. It may seem off thread, but brings home to me that not all the truths that we base our life decisions on are in fact truths. Also, with the above in mind, are you guys really so kean to be part of such a movement?
Martin1956Icon...19-09-2007 @ 14:40 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7739 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Originally posted by little_a...
Originally posted by Martin1956...
Very briefly, the Olympic motto translates as Faster, Higher, Stronger.

But is that actually the Olympic motto?
Both the 5 rings and the Olympic flame were 'invented' by the Nazi's for the 36 games. In short they have no history in the Olympics and although they make great spectacle they were nonetheless put there by one of the most hateful organisations ever. It may seem off thread, but brings home to me that not all the truths that we base our life decisions on are in fact truths. Also, with the above in mind, are you guys really so kean to be part of such a movement?

Sorry - you're completely wrong. The Olympic Motto is "Citius, Altius, Fortius", which translates as "Faster/Swifter, Higher, Stronger". If the purpose of the Olympics in part is to allow the world's strongest people to compete, then why does the world's strongest sport not get in when synchronised swimming and synchronised diving do? This had nothing to do with the Nazis - it was proposed by Baron Pierre De Coubertin, the founder of the modern Olympics, in 1896.

The Olympic Flag was with the five rings was adopted in 1914, but because of WW1 was used for the first time at the Antwerp Games in 1920. Again nothing to do with the Nazis.

The Olympic Flame tradition started in 1928, well before the Berlin Games. The flame relay was first staged in Berlin and has continued ever since.

To try and associate a festival to bring the youth of the world together in sporting friendship with the Nazis is totally wrong.
brynevansIcon...19-09-2007 @ 15:09 
Scotbasher - forever
Member 59, 2115 posts
I think that has set the record straight Martin!
TonyIcon...19-09-2007 @ 19:53 
Is partial to the odd bender.
Member 6, 10239 posts
SQ 280, BP 192.5, DL 317.5
790.0 kgs @ 102kgs Eq
Martin if you don't curb the attitude I'm going to drag iHawk over here and let him loose on your ass.
SparrowIcon...19-09-2007 @ 20:08 
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
LOL at Tony!

Of course EVERYBODY is on you fools!

Pete I agree that it's nice to have everyone do everything for you, but sometimes you have to put something back into the sport. I say you get up off the couch, stop shoving pies in your face, and do some loading. For squats. With 50kg plates. And racks that have to be adjusted manually. Whaddya say?
FatpeteIcon...19-09-2007 @ 20:17 
Hyper obese Pete
Member 70, 17883 posts
SQ 322.5, BP 205, DL 300
827.5 kgs @ 133kgs Eq
Originally posted by jonnymills...
but sometimes you have to put something back into the sport. I say you get up off the couch, stop shoving pies in your face, and do some loading.
Whaddya say?

Well first you don't HAVE to do anything. But I might after I stop competeing, I may just become an unsung hero, can't actually commit to anything as LittleA will write it down and produce it, like a rabbit from a hat, at sometime in the near or distant future. The bit about off the couch and stopping the pies, I just don't understand, simple as that.
Martin1956Icon...19-09-2007 @ 20:18 
Old Age Presser
Member 75, 7739 posts
SQ 0, BP 200, DL 200
400.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Originally posted by badboy007...
I agree Jim,

"I'm sure there's absolute freaks out there that do it though (and I think I know a few of these crazy f**ked up freaks of nature myself)."

I don't want to get into debates about individual lifters, because we will never know. I do know more about powerlifting in the West Mids in particular than i'm letting on, and again I don't wanna get into this! If yhou found someone squatting 965+ lbs in single ply gear, great depth, drug free, then they would be the best squatter to ever walk the face of the earth. Period.

Sorry to prolong this "debate" but this post has really bugged me so I've done a bit of research. The 965+ squat comment is clearly aimed at Clive Henry, who did 440 kilos (968 pounds) at the British Championships this year, setting a European squat record and a M1 World squat record. Clive has competed in the British Championships every year from 1991 to 2007 inclusive. He first lifted in 1991 at a bodyweight of 95.60; this year his bodyweight was 125.80. So when you take account of his improvements, you need to bear in mind he has gained 30 kilos of quality muscle slowly and gradually over 16 years.

In order, his Wilks points score over the years has been (in round figures):

478/469/499/513/529/546/530/528/538/554/567/587/577/579/578.

I've used Wilks rather than totals because it's easier to relate to the improvements without having to correlate totals to variable bodyweights. Clive has competed for 16 years continuously and has improved his Wilks total by exactly 100 points over 16 years. That's an average of just over 6 points a year and that improvement will be partly due to the vast improvements in supportive equipment since 1991. Factor in the equipment and the improvement would probably be nearer 3 or 4 points a year.

You get really good at powerlifting and last for a long time by steadily improving year after year after year. Clive has been subject to countless tests over this period and has passed every one. No one in BWLA is "protecting" him or anyone else. Those allegations are just ill informed internet bulls**t.

The reason I have bothered replying at all is that some of the younger members might be swayed by the "everybody's on it" bulls**tters and if even one is persuaded to go down that route then it's one too many. As Jim says, you don't need drugs. And Clive doesn't deserve that type of slur.

I don't give a runny s**te what people think privately, but suggesting everyone is doing it on a forum like this might lead people astray.

By the way, Dean Bowring's Wilks improvement is 99 points between 1995 and 2007, an average of just over 8 a year and quite a bit of that will be bench shirt related. Same progression as Clive - lots of hard work, technical improvements, improved muscle, tendon and ligament strength. And test after test after test over the period, clean every time.

So don't you lads starting out fall for this drugs bulls**t. Committment, hard work, good coaching and longevity will get you there - in about 15 years!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions