Users viewing topic: & 3 Guests

12345678910 ... 5657 ... 5859606162636465666768

slimsimIcon...26-01-2021 @ 14:42 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
unit94 said:
Rejoined Paris climate agreement,set up quite a lot of infrastructure for a covid response. Stopped the ridiculous "muslim ban." Overturned the trans military ban and stopped that ridiculous wall being built. He's done alot of environmental orders in general it seems. To me that's been a pretty good start. I feel like you're gonna tell me why those things are bad though!

I was a bit gobsmacked when I saw WillSan question what good Biden has done when the Paris climate agreement was rejoined almost immediately. If he did nothing else at all, trying to prevent global warming is a pretty good choice to make in the long run.
WILLSANIcon...26-01-2021 @ 15:59 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
I was a bit gobsmacked when I saw WillSan question what good Biden has done when the Paris climate agreement was rejoined almost immediately. If he did nothing else at all, trying to prevent global warming is a pretty good choice to make in the long run.

lets just say, for arguments sake, that politicians were not trustworthy people.

lets say that they are not too fussed about the climate but are fussed about making as much money as possible.

you have a fund that has $1bn paid and another $2bn pledged.

the fund distributes this money to countries across the world, many of which are run by similarly untrustworthy politicians.

the money flows are poorly audited.

how could this be exploited?

the same scam is happening here:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/biden-speaks-with-macron-agrees-to-co...

Biden speaks with Macron, agrees to coordinate on Iran nuclear deal

large amounts of this money will end up in slush funds, kick backs and bribes and zero difference will be made to climate change.

or politicians are trustworthy, care about combating climate change and will use this money for that cause - choose your reality.
BigMaccaIcon...26-01-2021 @ 16:08 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9942 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 26.01.2021 @ 16:20 PM by BigMacca
unit94 said:
Rejoined Paris climate agreement,set up quite a lot of infrastructure for a covid response. Stopped the ridiculous "muslim ban." Overturned the trans military ban and stopped that ridiculous wall being built. He's done alot of environmental orders in general it seems. To me that's been a pretty good start. I feel like you're gonna tell me why those things are bad though!

I'll take issue with the "Muslim Ban" propaganda.

It was never a "Muslim Ban", it was a ban on foreign nationals from the following countries entering the USA on the grounds that they posed a significant risk of terrorism:

Initially Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen and Somalia (Iraq was originally on the list but was removed after reaching an agreement with the USA)

The travel ban was then extended to include people from three more countries: North Korea, Venezuela and Chad and then later on Nigeria, Myanmar, Eritrea, Kyrgyzstan, Sudan and Tanzania.

You might already note that not all of these countries are muslin majority.

You may also notice that there are a few, very large Muslim majority countries not included in that list.

You may not agree with the policy, but it was in no way a travel ban imposed on the Muslim religion.

Let us not forget that the 'deporter in chief' himself, Mr Barack Obama made all this possible when signed into law the Visa Waiver Improvement Program and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act in 2015, which designated Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Libya and Somalia as areas of concern
HamIcon...26-01-2021 @ 17:00 
Ham but hey
Member 4787, 205 posts
Now that is good info presented in a “this is information do with it as you please” manner. Thank you
BillwestIcon...26-01-2021 @ 17:25 
Member 541, 4897 posts
SQ 192.5, BP 120, DL 222.5
535.0 kgs @ 92.8kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 26.01.2021 @ 17:31 PM by Billwest
slimsim said:

I totally agree. Of all the problems the US (and the World) are facing, trying to sort something out with the climate is the most important, by far.

Some people say politicians are untrustworthy people, and you can't trust them to do this. In my opinion, this is a daft argument! Estate agents and second-hand car salesmen are untrustworthy, but people still buy houses and cars.
macrothIcon...26-01-2021 @ 17:53 
no longer the Swiss Deadlift record holder
Member 3517, 3368 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 122.5, DL 255
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
BigMacca said:
I'll take issue with the "Muslim Ban" propaganda.
It was never a "Muslim Ban", it was a ban on foreign nationals from the following countries entering the USA on the grounds that they posed a significant risk of terrorism:
Initially Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen and Somalia (Iraq was originally on the list but was removed after reaching an agreement with the USA)
The travel ban was then extended to include people from three more countries: North Korea, Venezuela and Chad and then later on Nigeria, Myanmar, Eritrea, Kyrgyzstan, Sudan and Tanzania.
You might already note that not all of these countries are muslin majority.
You may also notice that there are a few, very large Muslim majority countries not included in that list.
You may not agree with the policy, but it was in no way a travel ban imposed on the Muslim religion.
Let us not forget that the 'deporter in chief' himself, Mr Barack Obama made all this possible when signed into law the Visa Waiver Improvement Program and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act in 2015, which designated Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Libya and Somalia as areas of concern

It was always a Muslim travel/immigration/refugee ban, as called for by Trump himself during his campaign, as supported by his voters and as advocated on his website until it proved problematic from a PR and legal point of view.

It was also rushed and poorly thought-out, which is why they were repeatedly forced to tweak it and water it down, much to Trump's disappointment, to find a version that could be upheld by the courts. In the end, it was saved by a 5-4 vote along partisan lines in the Supreme Court.

Including NK (a few dozen visa applications/year) and select Venezuelan govt officials (as opposed to Venezuelans as a whole) were clear attempts to "un-Muslim" the travel ban. In fact those two countries were basically unaffected by the ban, in terms of visas granted per year, while the Muslim-majority countries saw 70-80% drops.

All this is regardless of whatever Obama did or Biden might do. The 2015 law was bad, Trump's travel ban was worse, reversing it is better.
EDCLARKEIcon...26-01-2021 @ 18:36 
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 10988 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Billwest said:
Maybe i'm not understanding you right, but If they have already received $600, then that only leaves an extra $1400 to pay doesn't it, or did they offer an additional $2000?
The politics of the passing legislation in Congress sounds like it has been victim to massively divided state of US Politics. So Pelosi blocked a bill she might otherwise supported, i read somewhere that McConnell said his greatest achievement of the Obama 2nd term was attempting to block every single piece of legislation Obama tried to pass. If no legislation can be passed in a bi-partisan way, then it makes it difficult for a president to get his legislative agenda accepted. For this, both democrats and republicans are responsible, from the sound of it. Let's face it, in any sensible system, government would not be run by 70-somethings (Trump, Biden, Pelosi, McConnell) who should be put out to grass.
As you say, if affordable healthcare is accepted across the board, surely those same voters would not be asking what form this legislation took, but why the previous president spent 4 years criticising it and saying he would repeal it.

They campaigned on it being $2000 cheques over and above the $600 and then almost immediately reigned it in . I'm not trying to argue republicans good democrats bad , or that trump was great as he clearly wasn't (he was just different) , my position is republicans bad democrats bad , and that both sides will do more to protect their political donors than they will to help out the ordinary people , and i think this has been shown quite clearly in the last few months. People think that the democrats are a left leaning party but they are not they are a right wing party , and the supposed progressive element within the party (Aoc ,Ilan Omar , Rashida Talib and friends) is a smoke screen to keep voters on board , they Tweet all the right stuff and say the right stuff in interviews but when an opportunity comes to actually try and do something they go missing . (particularly recently with the medicare for all force the vote movement).

I think the fact that we are discussing whether or not it was $2000 or $2600 dollars shows what a bunch of grafting c**ts most American politicians are , when you compare that with the kind of financial help most European countries have provided.
BigMaccaIcon...26-01-2021 @ 18:53 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9942 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 26.01.2021 @ 18:54 PM by BigMacca
macroth said:
It was always a Muslim travel/immigration/refugee ban, as called for by Trump himself during his campaign, as supported by his voters and as advocated on his website until it proved problematic from a PR and legal point of view.
It was also rushed and poorly thought-out, which is why they were repeatedly forced to tweak it and water it down, much to Trump's disappointment, to find a version that could be upheld by the courts. In the end, it was saved by a 5-4 vote along partisan lines in the Supreme Court.
Including NK (a few dozen visa applications/year) and select Venezuelan govt officials (as opposed to Venezuelans as a whole) were clear attempts to "un-Muslim" the travel ban. In fact those two countries were basically unaffected by the ban, in terms of visas granted per year, while the Muslim-majority countries saw 70-80% drops.
All this is regardless of whatever Obama did or Biden might do. The 2015 law was bad, Trump's travel ban was worse, reversing it is better.

Did it ban all people of the Muslim faith entering the USA?

If the answer is yes, then it was most certainly a Muslim Ban.

If the answer is no, then it wasn't a Muslim ban.

I'll help you out a little bit here:
The original version of the 'Muslim ban' affected an estimated 135 million people (not just Muslims obviously).

There are over 1.8 billion people of the Muslim persuasion on the planet.

If we assume that all of the original 135 million people affected by the original restrictions were Muslims (they weren't), then it affected roughly 7.5% of the global Muslim population
macrothIcon...26-01-2021 @ 19:27 
Member 3517, 3368 posts
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
BigMacca said:
Did it ban all people of the Muslim faith entering the USA?
If the answer is yes, then it was most certainly a Muslim Ban.
If the answer is no, then it wasn't a Muslim ban.
I'll help you out a little bit here:
The original version of the 'Muslim ban' affected an estimated 135 million people (not just Muslims obviously).
There are over 1.8 billion people of the Muslim persuasion on the planet.
If we assume that all of the original 135 million people affected by the original restrictions were Muslims (they weren't), then it affected roughly 7.5% of the global Muslim population

You're being blatantly disingenuous.
WILLSANIcon...26-01-2021 @ 19:42 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7c/Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg/1024px-Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg.png
macrothIcon...26-01-2021 @ 20:15 
Member 3517, 3368 posts
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 26.01.2021 @ 21:59 PM by Rick
WILLSAN said:https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7c/Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg/1024px-Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg.png

The central point has already been refuted, and silly arguments don't deserve thoughtful replies.
unit94Icon...26-01-2021 @ 21:43 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10443 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Will you still haven't told me why those things were bad!
WILLSANIcon...26-01-2021 @ 21:52 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
unit94 said:Will you still haven't told me why those things were bad!

no!

I havent!

did I say I would?

no I didnt!

who did?

you!
WILLSANIcon...26-01-2021 @ 22:03 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
rick! you deleted my joke!
lukiIcon...26-01-2021 @ 22:05 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Good article about the likely trajectory of Bidens first 100 days and the similarities between Trump and Bidens Keynesian deficit spending policies.

https://sputniknews.com/us/202101261081886847-fresh-start-or-picking-up-reins-will-bidens-first-100-days-really-change-us-political-trajectory/

12345678910 ... 5657 ... 5859606162636465666768

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitUS Presidency
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions