Users viewing topic: & 2 Guests

12345678910 ... 464748 ... 5859606162636465666768

DH_LifterIcon...08-01-2021 @ 18:40 
Biden got more votes
Member 6423, 34 posts
SQ 0, BP 177.5, DL 0
177.5 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Rick said:
No it isn't. Censorship means GOVERNMENT action to control speech. When it's non-governmental, is called editing.

Censorship can be done by an individual, a group, a govt., etc.
So it is censorship.

But again, you like to play word games. So consider a famous English author's line 'a rose by any other name..." and apply it to this.
EDCLARKEIcon...08-01-2021 @ 18:52 
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 10986 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
DH_Lifter said:
You're playing games- its the line below the user name- whatever that's called.
Again, this exchange tells me more about you as person.

i can say with absolute certainty that will not have been Rick who gave you a tag line , and that it will have been meant as light hearted piss taking , if you read other peoples tag lines virtually all of them are slightly derogatory but in a good humoured way. it my have been lost in translation with the differences between British and American humour.
LessThanLukeIcon...08-01-2021 @ 18:52 
his poor male ego must be crushed
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.01.2021 @ 18:53 PM by LessThanLuke
DH_Lifter said:
That’s rich! You can thank Biden’s own Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 for that.
Here’s a free American history lesson- the democrat party started and defended the KKK, enacted the Jim Crow laws, enforced segregation and suppressed Black Americans for decades.
Also Supreme Court Judge Clarence Thomas was confirmed in 1991.
The Senate Judiciary Committee- led by Sen. Joe Biden- conducted a ‘high-tech lynching’ of Thomas- his words.
Do yourself a favor and go read Thomas’ closing statement.

Jonathan never said the racism was a republican dominated field or that the Democrats were innocent. Your response is quite nonsensical.
DH_LifterIcon...08-01-2021 @ 18:53 
Biden got more votes
Member 6423, 34 posts
SQ 0, BP 177.5, DL 0
177.5 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Rick said:
For something that can never be challenged, you seem to be doing just fine challenging it.

Its because I'm not afraid to challenge (false) claims of 'institutionalized racism' in America.

You and your partner seem to be having trouble coming up with a single example though.

Back to how people are treated:
I've ask some legitimate questions and raised a few good points.
Even presented some info to back-up what I say.
Yet what I've said does not fit the accepted narrative- presented by the MSM, big tech, the democrat political machine, etc.

So I get labeled and then called names (racist, etc.)
I've got thick skin so it doesn't bother me.
But I do want to point out that this is the typical strategy:
1. Publish dogma- to be believed without questioning.
2. Attack and ridicule anyone who questions the dogma.
3. Go to #1 and repeat.
EDCLARKEIcon...08-01-2021 @ 18:53 
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 10986 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
Rick said:Ed, I think you'll find that they condemned those who acted illegally and defended those arrested for peaceful protest. I suspect, however, you feel differently.

Interesting link about that one BLM organiser, for which I thank you. As DH_lifter has been pointing out in the opposite context, there are always bad people involved. I don't believe this is representative of the views of most of the leadership, or of most protestors.

I am no fan of the Democrats, they're far too far right for me. But I do think they're massively better than the alternative. We haven't had one party with both houses and the presidency for a long time, it will be interesting to see what happens, indeed.

I guess we will have to amicably disagree and see what happens.
DH_LifterIcon...08-01-2021 @ 18:53 
Biden got more votes
Member 6423, 34 posts
SQ 0, BP 177.5, DL 0
177.5 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.01.2021 @ 18:58 PM by DH_Lifter
EDCLARKE said:
i can say with absolute certainty that will not have been Rick who gave you a tag line , and that it will have been meant as light hearted piss taking , if you read other peoples tag lines virtually all of them are slightly derogatory but in a good humoured way. it my have been lost in translation with the differences between British and American humour.

Understood. I will wear it with pride.

It's the mincing of the words that's telling- sig line vs tag line.
That makes it difficult to have an honest discussion when word games are being played.
DH_LifterIcon...08-01-2021 @ 18:57 
Biden got more votes
Member 6423, 34 posts
SQ 0, BP 177.5, DL 0
177.5 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
LessThanLuke said:
Jonathan never said the racism was a republican dominated field or that the Democrats were innocent. Your response is quite nonsensical.

I asked for a single example of institutionalized racism in America today.

I received the product of democratic lawmakers.

I pointed this out and gave examples of how democrats historically treated Black Americans- I'm not sure where I lost you.
LessThanLukeIcon...08-01-2021 @ 19:03 
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.01.2021 @ 19:04 PM by LessThanLuke
DH_Lifter said:
I asked for a single example of institutionalized racism in America today.
I received the product of democratic lawmakers.
I pointed this out and gave examples of how democrats historically treated Black Americans- I'm not sure where I lost you.

Doesn't examples of Democrats treating black Americans badly back up Jonathan's point about racism in America?

You know Democrats and Republicans are all Americans right? Hah
LessThanLukeIcon...08-01-2021 @ 19:07 
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
One thing I do find very odd about American politics is how strongly people seem to identify as members of a political party.

Any thoughts to the reasons behind this?
DH_LifterIcon...08-01-2021 @ 19:11 
Biden got more votes
Member 6423, 34 posts
SQ 0, BP 177.5, DL 0
177.5 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
LessThanLuke said:
Doesn't examples of Democrats treating black Americans badly back up Jonathan's point about racism in America?
You know Democrats and Republicans are all Americans right? Hah

Correct... I'm willing to say that both republicans and democrats are in the swamp.

I'm asking for an example of institutionalized racism in modern day America though.
It simply does not exist.

In reality, the pendulum has swung so far in the other direction that some people have claimed to be Black- in order to gain advantage in their careers- when they are not.
BoarIcon...08-01-2021 @ 19:28 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25557 posts
Administrator
www.businessinsider.com/us-systemic-racism-in-charts-graphs...

26 simple charts to show friends and family who aren't convinced racism is still a problem in America
RickIcon...08-01-2021 @ 19:29 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
DH_Lifter said:
Understood. I will wear it with pride.
It's the mincing of the words that's telling- sig line vs tag line.
That makes it difficult to have an honest discussion when word games are being played.

Yes, it rather does. Let's recap.

You accused me of changing your sig line, and said it spoke heavily to my character. Now you find it wasn't me, you decide that actually, it says nothing about anybody's character and you'll wear it with pride. That says a great deal about YOUR character.

I replied that I hadn't touched your signature line - the same term you used. You then accused me of mincing words and effectively lying, saying again that it said much about my character. Again, this clearly says more about yours. Accusations without emotion and assumption but no evidence, just like the "stolen election".

As to censorship: the distinction is important, because it is (at least in theory, and partially) forbidden under your Constitution. The difference seems to have eluded Josh Hawley, who accused the company that have just decided no longer to publish his book of violating his first amendment rights - and he a supposed constitutional scholar.
BillwestIcon...08-01-2021 @ 19:32 
Member 541, 4894 posts
SQ 192.5, BP 120, DL 222.5
535.0 kgs @ 92.8kgs UnEq
DH_Lifter said:
Correct... I'm willing to say that both republicans and democrats are in the swamp.
I'm asking for an example of institutionalized racism in modern day America though.
In reality, the pendulum has swung so far in the other direction that some people have claimed to be Black- in order to gain advantage in their careers- when they are not.

Insitutionalised racism, by its very nature, is racism that has been normalised in society to an extent that it is often taken for granted.

Institutionalised racism is certainly present in the UK and is seen in the increased likelihood (40 times more likely, apparently) of young black males being stopped and searched by police. Perhaps you are right that this does not happen in the US, but since this kind of police behaviour was one of the main reasons for the BLM protests, this seems unlikely.
billynomatesIcon...08-01-2021 @ 19:34 
Member 4923, 1795 posts
DH_Lifter said:

The NBA Happy
Joking aside though, I agree that no one has been able to put forward a compelling case for institutionalised racism in America.
SparrowIcon...08-01-2021 @ 19:36 
always lookIng for the extra UT2 work.
Member 9, 18279 posts
SQ 210, BP 167.5, DL 260
637.5 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.01.2021 @ 19:41 PM by Sparrow
Jonathan said:
Not in reality. It's balancing society so that the poorest aren't that poor and the richest aren't that rich. In reality, there are of course, incredibly wealthy people in Scandinavia, but there are far fewer poor people.
It's about valuing people equally for their contribution and measuring it not in terms of financial output, but social good.
It's criminal in this country how little we pay our teachers and nurses, carers and police, our bus drivers and charity workers. I'd argue that society works best when the gap between rich and poor is smaller than it is here.

I agree with this.

As a teacher myself, of course I would like more money and to feel more valued! However, I am one of the lucky ones. As things go, I have it pretty good and am in the top 1% (or something crazy like that?) of earners in the World. Things aren't always as bad as everyone makes out.

'The poor' are a difficult problem to tackle. Of course people should be able to earn a decent standard of living from ANY job they do, and feel valued if they work hard and put the hours in, but what about the people that don't, or aren't able to do that?

12345678910 ... 464748 ... 5859606162636465666768

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitUS Presidency
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions