Who's Online - 0 members and 183 guests

Training Truck Pull

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JimLiftsIconTraining Truck Pull14-03-2020 @ 23:48 
that doesn't excite you?
Member 6406, 30 posts
SQ 220, BP 145, DL 260
625.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Question for all the experienced guys on here: I have my first strongman competition coming up (Coronavirus allowing) in a few months and event 1 is an 18t truck pull - how do I train for it?
Does sled pushing carry over? Do climbing shoes actually help? Should I "hump the harness" for the first pull? Can you predict results based on your deadlift/squat numbers?
Just looking for general advice/bulls**t to convince me I have a chance after watching many guys in WSM heats fail with lighter trucks...cheers.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...15-03-2020 @ 13:13 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22042 posts
I have limited experience of that event, but...

You can only really train for it by actually doing it. Squat/dead numbers don't have much relevance. You need good endurance and an awareness of what to do technique wise. Climbing shoes do help with grip. Push off with both legs to get moving, and get into a rhythm.
dannyboy73Icon...15-03-2020 @ 13:19 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
forward facing hack squat and sled pulls is what the great Sven Carlson used to do for it.
Craig_PfistererIcon...15-03-2020 @ 17:20 
Sugdens 'man' at WSM 2021
Member 1513, 2139 posts
SQ 224.5, BP 181, DL 276.5
682.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
JimLifts said:Question for all the experienced guys on here: I have my first strongman competition coming up (Coronavirus allowing) in a few months and event 1 is an 18t truck pull - how do I train for it?
Actually working with a vehicle to pull is my favorite way to train it if I can manage it. Setup rope guidance and attach a vehicle to my harness and have my father steer if using a small vehicle. Put weights in the trunk and do timed sets as in not doing distance but effort. So do several sets of 60-75 seconds of effort. If I finish the course before the time expires, I pause the clock and reset the course and start again until time elapses. 2-3 sets with like 3-5 minutes rest. Since it is rare to get a really heavy vehicle, I'll work starts by attaching a heavy sled to the back of the vehicle and do kind of an isometric to get used to a hard start. Shorter rest and like 2-3 efforts. If I end up having access to a large vehicle, I try to get a couple full runs in if I can. Otherwise, it is mostly sled work.

JimLifts said:Does sled pushing carry over?
Works things a bit differently as you can really go forward into the sled when it gets heavy. Get to work the calves and the forward lean. I doesn't let you work the arms in concert with the lower body though so it would be good to get in a some harnessed runs to build the synchronicity and to get the arms used to the pump.

JimLifts said:Do climbing shoes actually help?
Depends on the surface but generally yes.

JimLifts said:Should I "hump the harness" for the first pull?
Not necessarily. Depends on harness. If it has the cross section around the waist to brace against, that can help but some don't so it wouldn't really do much. More of a slow hip extension and a row into the body to start.

JimLifts said:Can you predict results based on your deadlift/squat numbers?
Absolutely not. I have a sub 250kgs squat/270kgs deadlift raw and I've beaten people with raw 360kgs squats and deadlifts on very heavy pulls where winner was determined by distance and not time. I've been beaten by people with weaker pulls and stronger pulls.

JimLifts said:Just looking for general advice/bulls**t to convince me I have a chance after watching many guys in WSM heats fail with lighter trucks...cheers.
Weight isn't that much toward things. Depends a lot other factors. The course is key. How many wheels? How big are the wheels? Are the tires full? Uphill, downhill? Trying to pull a tractor in grass is way harder than trying to pull a semitruck with trailer in a parking lot. Considering a flat course and you break the inertia, it will take about a quarter of the force to keep it going.
JimLiftsIcon...16-03-2020 @ 20:17 
that doesn't excite you?
Member 6406, 30 posts
SQ 220, BP 145, DL 260
625.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Thanks all for the advice, lots to go on. I actually found a local place today with a 3.5t land rover with deflated tyres that will be a good start - as you said it's not really weight but resistance. Then again who knows which competitions will go ahead as of today's government advice.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions