REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 133 guests

The end of the petrol and diesel vehicle in 15 years - 2035

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

slow_lift_joeIconThe end of the petrol and diesel vehicle in 15 years - 203511-02-2020 @ 19:40 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
It is stated the horse cart was replaced by the automobile relatively quickly depending if you lived in the city or in the rural countryside.

Mass production of cars had to be brought in reach of the working class and the road improved.

Interesting to see if the government can achieve no petrol vehicles and no diesel vehicles in 15 years time.

So do not buy that 4 wheel drive Ford Ranger or the new Aston Martin, buy the Tesla or the Nissan Leaf.

.....It cannot be done within 15 years with all the HGV vehicles and infrastructure required, only an MP could say it is possible without thinking about the detail.
Funky_monkeyIcon...11-02-2020 @ 20:25 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Where do we get electric from to charge the new-fangled Leafs and Teslas? Is it from renewable energy sources?
The UK currently has
6 coal-powered stations generating 8.9GW
14 Advanced Gas-Cooled - 32GW
Nuclear - 9GW

10,000 Wind Turbines 20GW
Hydro-electric - 1.67GW
Solar - 22GW (est.)

Of the total 93.57 I could find, 49.9 is from coal, gas, and nuclear
43.67 is from wind, hydro-electric, and solar
53% isn't even renewable, and the solar is probably quoted over what it actually is, as that was a govt. estimate for 2020 based off old figures.

The batteries need mining (slave labour) for metals, shipped (oil/diesel) to be processed, shipped (more oil/diesel) to be assembled with cars, then shipped (yet more oil/diesel) to the UK.

Does it actually provide more benefit for the planet this way, or should we instead look into hydrogen powered cars produced in the UK?
slow_lift_joeIcon...11-02-2020 @ 22:22 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
Funky Monkey you are correct.

They have not looked at the detail and the time frame of 15 years is not possible.

We might agree fossil fuels :- petroleum, coal and gas are not good for the environment but has it been proved that electric battery power is the alternative to save planet earth, I do not think so, with how the battery is powered which is lithium, cobalt oxide, nickel and graphite and combinations. Mining the battery material and damage that causes to the environment and carbon.

Where is power and source in such vast amounts.

The whole electric switch and Miss Greta Thunberg are misguided and misleading.
We are not being told the whole truth are we.

The detail Mr Johnson, the detail and the infrastructure and the cost to implement such a massive switch over from petrol/diesel to electric.

15 years is a complete joke and not achievable.

In the meantime close the car showrooms and car dealerships. Mr Johnson & Co what a stupid business message to send out to a country you complete muppet.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...12-02-2020 @ 09:34 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22043 posts
Post Edited: 12.02.2020 @ 09:36 AM by Wayne_Cowdrey
Isn't it no new petrol/diesel vehicles to be produced at the end of that time period? Already existing vehicles will be on the roads for decades.
MikenetoIcon...12-02-2020 @ 09:55 
End of an era.
Member 4646, 1964 posts
But emissions will be cut.

If by 2035 80% of our energy is from renewable and 80% are driving electric cars that is a lot better emissions than 50% of our energy from fossil fuel and 20% driving electric cars.

It is known as 'progress'...not what Jeremy Clarkson mentions to get a cheer from drips.
slow_lift_joeIcon...12-02-2020 @ 15:27 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
Mikeneto,

You might call it progress but what about China, India, Russia and the USA ?

It will take much more time than 15 years to get your figures.

Electric will not be the long term answer.

Battery material is also not eco friendly.

The UK government is delusional and millennial generation with their slave labour apple phones and amazon slave work houses....yes progress indeed, what a joke.
KevC86Icon...12-02-2020 @ 19:00 
Member 5141, 4199 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
Mikeneto said:But emissions will be cut.

If by 2035 80% of our energy is from renewable and 80% are driving electric cars that is a lot better emissions than 50% of our energy from fossil fuel and 20% driving electric cars.

It is known as 'progress'...not what Jeremy Clarkson mentions to get a cheer from drips.

Very simply it isn't. The damage done to make and charge electric cars vastly outweighs the damage done by running one on petrol. The only reasons we may move away from fossil fuels are because we run out of fuel or to limit our dependence on the oil rich lands of the east.

Why more effort hasn't been put in to hydrogen cars baffles me. It is an abundant resource with negligible environmental impact. The only hard part is extracting it but it seems someone could solve that problem if a pile of money was thrown at it.
dannyboy73Icon...12-02-2020 @ 19:32 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
yep that was in the news...

I expect that the rub will be thus: owners of petrol cars will be taxed to within an inch of their (our) lives...

Wayne_Cowdrey said:Isn't it no new petrol/diesel vehicles to be produced at the end of that time period? Already existing vehicles will be on the roads for decades.
mark_f1Icon...12-02-2020 @ 21:16 
not actually strong
Member 5779, 811 posts
SQ 220, BP 150, DL 285
655.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Funky_monkey said:Where do we get electric from to charge the new-fangled Leafs and Teslas? Is it from renewable energy sources?
The UK currently has
6 coal-powered stations generating 8.9GW
14 Advanced Gas-Cooled - 32GW
Nuclear - 9GW

10,000 Wind Turbines 20GW
Hydro-electric - 1.67GW
Solar - 22GW (est.)

Of the total 93.57 I could find, 49.9 is from coal, gas, and nuclear
43.67 is from wind, hydro-electric, and solar
53% isn't even renewable, and the solar is probably quoted over what it actually is, as that was a govt. estimate for 2020 based off old figures.

The batteries need mining (slave labour) for metals, shipped (oil/diesel) to be processed, shipped (more oil/diesel) to be assembled with cars, then shipped (yet more oil/diesel) to the UK.

Does it actually provide more benefit for the planet this way, or should we instead look into hydrogen powered cars produced in the UK?

My solar panels for the last 8 years have generated 5-12% more than the baseline figures, and I live in yorkshire, not even the sunny south east.
BillwestIcon...13-02-2020 @ 08:50 
Member 541, 4894 posts
SQ 192.5, BP 120, DL 222.5
535.0 kgs @ 92.8kgs UnEq
slow_lift_joe said:Funky Monkey you are correct.

They have not looked at the detail and the time frame of 15 years is not possible.

We might agree fossil fuels :- petroleum, coal and gas are not good for the environment but has it been proved that electric battery power is the alternative to save planet earth, I do not think so, with how the battery is powered which is lithium, cobalt oxide, nickel and graphite and combinations. Mining the battery material and damage that causes to the environment and carbon.

Where is power and source in such vast amounts.

The whole electric switch and Miss Greta Thunberg are misguided and misleading.
We are not being told the whole truth are we.

The detail Mr Johnson, the detail and the infrastructure and the cost to implement such a massive switch over from petrol/diesel to electric.

15 years is a complete joke and not achievable.

In the meantime close the car showrooms and car dealerships. Mr Johnson & Co what a stupid business message to send out to a country you complete muppet.

The whole truth? If we don't do something in the next 15 years then we are completely f**ked! Grin
slow_lift_joeIcon...13-02-2020 @ 21:50 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
We are most likely already f@@ked anyway.

The fact is China, India, Russia and USA need to do something far greater than the tiny UK. We are no longer Great Britain and no longer a Empire.
Other counties now just laugh at us and sell us their infrastructure and own us.
Let's have a Huawei electric car mined in the Congo with slave child labour,wave a extinction rebellion banner and drink herbal tea and endorse a Swedish 17 year old who has never ran a business or economy....yes we are f@@ked.
The UK is f@@ked, we got Boris and his new yes man/women team...f@@ked.

There is an agenda and it not what you think.

China, India, Russia and USA can do what the f@@k they like and they will.

I am not convinced electric mined battery cars will save planet earth.Grin
matthewvcIcon...14-02-2020 @ 09:04 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3221 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
like everything that comes out of spaffer bozo’s mouth it’s empty populist rhetoric.
the UK (what’s left of it) will be far too busy dealing with its multi trillion pound debt bubble to care by 2035
WILLSANIcon...14-02-2020 @ 12:36 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
https://i.giphy.com/media/SuIDKboVhHgtLPG6zm/giphy.webp
Funky_monkeyIcon...14-02-2020 @ 14:30 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
mark_f1 said:
My solar panels for the last 8 years have generated 5-12% more than the baseline figures, and I live in yorkshire, not even the sunny south east.

I wish I was earning UK money once again to get solar panels. Cyprus is a tad sunnier than Yorkshire. It's set to be 19 next week, so our 2 weeks of winter is over. It's been single figures for a fortnight! I think outside of 30-40 degree heat when I need to have the aircon on, I'm using around 200-250kwh per month. How much energy do you get from solar panels?
DeanW92Icon...14-02-2020 @ 15:29 
Member 4496, 1446 posts
SQ 240, BP 200, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
One of the main problems with electric cars is that we do not have the electrical infrastructure to cope with the demands, a lot of the supplies in our streets are already running at max capacity without adding the need to charge millions of electric cars.

In new build houses they are soon going to do away with gas, this means electric radiators, electric showers, electric hobs and a charger for your electric car which your current 63a or 80a fuse won't be able to handle.

They best start digging up a lot of roads to run all the new cables if they think this is possible!
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions