REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 147 guests

The 2020 Arnold Pro Strongman USA Qualifier - Live Stream

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

AdamTIcon...20-01-2020 @ 21:30 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
Not the thread for this, but I have just seen Thor hit an easy ass double with 954lb on deadlift

Is that like 432?

I think he will get 501
danbaseleyIcon...20-01-2020 @ 23:34 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4468 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Yep.

But Thor has been pulling on the so called elephant bar, - an extra long, extra bendy bar.

I think pulling it on a texas deadlift bar will take some specific training.

But I feel like he is going to be the one to do it.
93hopkinsonrIcon...21-01-2020 @ 00:03 
Mr.Potato deadlift
Member 2675, 4618 posts
SQ 300, BP 200, DL 300
800.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Fair point about Licis, however I still thing Shaw demolishes this comp 3-4 years ago. The events were well suited for him. If anyone has watched Shaw’s video on YouTube of the comp it looks like Schwarzenegger is going to sort him an invite for Columbus anyway
AdamTIcon...21-01-2020 @ 00:20 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
danbaseley said:Yep.

But Thor has been pulling on the so called elephant bar, - an extra long, extra bendy bar.

I think pulling it on a texas deadlift bar will take some specific training.

But I feel like he is going to be the one to do it.

Yes I meant 501 on elephant bar

The guy looks bigger/stronger every year

f**king beast!
KevC86Icon...21-01-2020 @ 06:59 
Member 5141, 4186 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
93hopkinsonr said:Fair point about Licis, however I still thing Shaw demolishes this comp 3-4 years ago. The events were well suited for him. If anyone has watched Shaw’s video on YouTube of the comp it looks like Schwarzenegger is going to sort him an invite for Columbus anyway

I'm really hoping someone talks Arnie out of that. Entirely defeats the point of a qualification process.
MJGIcon...21-01-2020 @ 10:23 
Member 5560, 769 posts
AdamT said:Not the thread for this, but I have just seen Thor hit an easy ass double with 954lb on deadlift

Is that like 432?

I think he will get 501

I don't think he will this year. It's the second day of competition and for it to happen you almost need two guys capable or at least nearly capable of getting the 501kg to actually push him to go that high mid comp.
danbaseleyIcon...21-01-2020 @ 12:09 
Member 1252, 4468 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
KevC86 said:
I'm really hoping someone talks Arnie out of that. Entirely defeats the point of a qualification process.

Were this to happen to any other athlete - other than Lasha Talakhadze, or someone else similar outside the sport - Shaw would send his rattle so far out of his pram: that he would secure another world record in the weight for height.

The more I watch of the man - the less I seem to like him.

Everything from giving it the big "I am" about buying an overly expensive truck - to that god forsaken hype team he has around him, blowing smoke up his arse on every weight from 135 onwards - makes me think he has become a mark for himself: and disappeared up his own fundament.
danbaseleyIcon...21-01-2020 @ 12:12 
Member 1252, 4468 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
MJG said:
I don't think he will this year. It's the second day of competition and for it to happen you almost need two guys capable or at least nearly capable of getting the 501kg to actually push him to go that high mid comp.

True. And it would have to be a make or break event, not the first of the day.

Thor is a smart cookie, and not going to risk tearing a hamstring and losing the competition.

Also, 501kg on an elephant bar is not the same as 500kg on slimline calibrated plate on a deadlift bar.
PaulSavageIcon...21-01-2020 @ 16:48 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Shaw was clearly sick, breathing out of his arse every event and still nearly won against Martin's so obviously still very capable. Thor would have won every event but maybe farmers getting close second though. In reality Martin's is not close to him just seems that with how they did world's. Hopefully it doesn't happen next year but being in the same place it's not looking good.
drex50Icon...21-01-2020 @ 17:02 
It's a moonface era now.
Member 5901, 956 posts
danbaseley said:
Were this to happen to any other athlete - other than Lasha Talakhadze, or someone else similar outside the sport - Shaw would send his rattle so far out of his pram: that he would secure another world record in the weight for height.
The more I watch of the man - the less I seem to like him.
Everything from giving it the big "I am" about buying an overly expensive truck - to that god forsaken hype team he has around him, blowing smoke up his arse on every weight from 135 onwards - makes me think he has become a mark for himself: and disappeared up his own fundament.

I agree. There was a guy who set the log for him in appropriate position before attempting.
Yes he cant move, but ate the same time his static power, pressing especially is far from winning any contest.

I realy enjoy how Thor became from pencil neck droppy shoulders skinny fat guy to a monster into 2 months.
mikecmIcon...21-01-2020 @ 17:14 
Member 6297, 99 posts
drex50 said:
I agree. There was a guy who set the log for him in appropriate position before attempting.
Yes he cant move, but ate the same time his static power, pressing especially is far from winning any contest.
I realy enjoy how Thor became from pencil neck droppy shoulders skinny fat guy to a monster into 2 months.

This is true... Thor is obviously a very big guy anyway but had been noticeably smaller in recent videos where he has appeared alongside other strongmen and really looked average. He's now back to being a gigantic monster pulling huge weights - I get he will have eased off the drugs for health/possible relationship reasons but the difference is crazy now that he is back training properly!
danbaseleyIcon...21-01-2020 @ 17:30 
Member 1252, 4468 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Thor lifts with pure mong strength, but always within himself and the confines of his programme.

Him, his camera man and his dad. All doing the weights they set out to do. All giving each other a high 5 on a good lift/PR.

Shaw posts videos saying "900lbs squat" which turns out to be a 600lb squat and some rather speculative band tension. That's not how they record squats at Westside, SBC, or any other big powerlifting gym that employs accommodating resistance.

All the while being metaphorically fellated by a group of ne'erdowells and has-beens screaming at him that he is the man.

Someone already mentioned on her how demotivating it must be, when you surround yourself with people who tell you that you are doing "GRRRRRRR-REAT" all the time.

Now, it appears, he is relying on being a charity case - or on past glories - in order to circumvent qualifying criteria.
MikenetoIcon...21-01-2020 @ 18:25 
End of an era.
Member 4646, 1964 posts
PaulSavage said:Shaw was clearly sick, breathing out of his arse every event and still nearly won against Martin's so obviously still very capable. Thor would have won every event but maybe farmers getting close second though. In reality Martin's is not close to him just seems that with how they did world's. Hopefully it doesn't happen next year but being in the same place it's not looking good.

Shaw hadn't been injured and Licis had.

Licis will do wonders in this prep now. 7 weeks of pure gains.

Not sure about the events though

Wheel of pain needs to be heavier

Deadlift will be good...Thor, Caron, Pritchett and Licis will all lift big. At this point I would prefer 400kg for reps.

Dumbbell i am not sure...seems extremely heavy.

Bag throw Thor will win easily

Stone carry/loading hopefully will be good...but hard to say until it happens

Only bad event for Licis is bag throw, but it is a bad event for everyone but Thor.
MikenetoIcon...21-01-2020 @ 20:28 
End of an era.
Member 4646, 1964 posts
....also, I wouldn't mind Shaw doing the full comp and throw Heinla 10k and let him do the record breaker deadlift.
danbaseleyIcon...21-01-2020 @ 21:05 
Member 1252, 4468 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Mikeneto said:....also, I wouldn't mind Shaw doing the full comp and throw Heinla 10k and let him do the record breaker deadlift.

Heinla is the only other guy who, in m'humble opinion, could break 501kg on a bar and calibrated plates.

He deserves a shot at the ten grand.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions