You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitXmas WSM 2019

Xmas WSM 2019

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

PeteHodgsonIcon...01-01-2020 @ 23:36 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Imo novicov was a cheating wa**er. Wasn't even gripping the bar. Shouldn't have had half of his reps. Ban figure of 8 straps or ref properly.
RickIcon...02-01-2020 @ 00:05 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
If you're allowed to use straps then you don't have to grip it, that's what straps are FOR. If it's not forbidden it's allowed.

Straps shouldn't be allowed at all, imo, but there's nothing wrong with playing by the rules.
MJGIcon...02-01-2020 @ 08:30 
Member 5560, 769 posts
Enjoyed the show but with a reduced number of athletes, only 4-5 events in the heats, all of them the same and only 5 events in the final it felt very much it was done on the cheap this year. The final should be 8 events in my opinion but I at least hope they go back to 6 for next year.
oggy22Icon...02-01-2020 @ 10:48 
Please insult me further!!
Member 5626, 92 posts
SQ 165, BP 110, DL 210
485.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
It would have been interesting if Novikov was in the final like he should have been. He would have been in the mix on quite a few events - possibly podium.

It's clear it's become more made for TV than ever now which is a shame. It should be 6 events in heats and 7 in the final - 5 events is not enough and why didn't they have any max lifts in the final this year? Either overhead, DL or Squat? they were similar events to the heats and I didn't think they were great either.

A bit of a changing of the guard going on this year - shame to see the older generation disappearing but the new generation are looking strong.
danbaseleyIcon...02-01-2020 @ 14:33 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4473 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Novikov was robbed. Played to the rules, finished well ahead of third - and ends up losing in another ker-razy atlas stones game.

(Anyone remember double points in Atlas Stones at other competitions - WTF was that all about?!?)

Licis is as good an advert for the sport as there is - funny, charismatic, doesn't look like he wants to kill someone during competition, and a cocky SOB who can back it up.

His YouTube show is great and you get to see him appearing on US chat shows, NFL programming, etc.
WILLSANIcon...02-01-2020 @ 16:36 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
whatever anyone thinks about the straps novikov should have been in that final lineup. he is a top ten contender and would have earned his place there in a fair system. it was telling that in the commentary they had to keep stating that mitchell was a VERY DESERVING finalist lol.

car hold was pretty s**t to watch.

licis is well deserving champ although I do think his 'stars were aligned' at this comp. off form thor, good events for him, home advantage, no mistakes. he'll always be up there but it wont be an easy ride for him to retain his title. a great personality to rep the sport tho.

strongman at the top level is as competitive as it ever was which is great. however, it makes it easier to tip the scales with different event choices in comps. hopefully organisers will be able to resist tipping the balance either way for the sake of the 'show'.

kinda weird how felix has retired at like 3 big shows this year and then said hes carrying on at worlds.

ed was pretty good as a co host. think he should stay off the athlete interviews tho. seeing him wipe the sweat off brians forehead was slightly awkward. be interested to see if they use a retired loz as well in the future.

too much screen time wasted navel gazing the history of strongman. we have youtube now! if I want to look up clips of dirty old man kaz lifting u90 log weights ill look there.

for me, the big arena shows are a better test of strength than this. I wonder if wsm will ever evolve into to a better format that keeps the essence of the 'show' but better reflects the 'sport'.
PaulSavageIcon...02-01-2020 @ 16:59 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 02.01.2020 @ 17:00 PM by PaulSavage
Rick said:Some random thoughts, having watched the lot today and yesterday:

I was really happy to see the same events in ever hear, until they f**ked it by changing from log to circus dumbbell for the last two heats. WHY? ar****les.

I think Novikov was absolutely robbed. Two reps turned down in the deadlift and one in the press, all of which were as legit as many others imo. Should have been Shaw in that stone-off, and that would have been very interesting.

Licis was awesome, and what a great advertisement for the sport he is. Every bit as marketable as Mariusz was.

Were the finals normally five events? Seemed short to me.

Eddie was an excellent presenter, no surprise to anybody who's been watching Eddie Eats America (which I recommend, he's a natural presenter, and it's fun). I'd love to see Eddie and Loz not only presenting but doing the commentary in future. Be nice to have some actual expertise, wouldn't it.

Pretty much all novikos deadlift reps looked like shoddy lockouts and he literally did 6 inch less than everybody else and in 6 inch better position. Why not just have a 2 foot long strap and lift the bar 2 inch if it's allowed? Everyone would do that if it was but it's obviously against the rules. He was clearly not stable with the dumbbell either, the only time he stopped moving for a a split second he was losing the dumbbell behind him so wasn't in control, that's why he had to walk backwards. This was the the same for all athletes, not just him, the rules are you have to have feet inline with the implement locked out and under control. For all Brian's reps he was completely stable because he has stronger core / more bodyweight.

Don't get me wrong as I'm a Martin's fan for sure and he did great on the deadlift and stones and was definitely in great shape but the contest was literally designed for him to win. Basically on his door step with all his best events at the best weights for him and they even put weak events or what they thought was weak events for who they knew would push him the most on those events. The 1st of 2 medleys they put on sand so the bodyweight of guys like Thor and Shaw would hinder them and they made he implements lighter to suit Martin's more. The overhead medley again they made light so it would suit Martin's more. They then startegicaly put the squat next, obviously for reps as Martin's is known to be very good at squat for reps but also because they knew it was likely only kila would beat him on the overhead medley and they didn't think he had a good squat so essentially Martin's was going last knowing the number to beat. They then put a grip hold event in because again Martin's is known for his grip strength and at that point they thought both kila and thor had weaker grips and would drop points, and they knew Martin's would win the squat so be out last knowing the time to beat. Also from everythimg seen on social media he knew the events well before other athletes, other athletes such as Shaw actually found out some of the events from watching Martin's YouTube. If you look back you can see he was putting big emphasis on squat, stones and grip for a number of months and then he was training the overhead medley with double dumbbells even. He obviously knew the events a long while before world's, maybe for several months (his training sure did fit the final events perfectly if not) and the other athletes were saying they didn't know the events even a month or weeks from he comp, Thor, Shaw etc

Again, I'm a Martin's fan, but that was a crock of s**t, there was almost no possible way he could lose.
oggy22Icon...02-01-2020 @ 17:15 
Please insult me further!!
Member 5626, 92 posts
SQ 165, BP 110, DL 210
485.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
Pretty much all novikos deadlift reps looked like shoddy lockouts and he literally did 6 inch less than everybody else and in 6 inch better position. Why not just have a 2 foot long strap and lift the bar 2 inch if it's allowed? Everyone would do that if it was but it's obviously against the rules. He was clearly not stable with the dumbbell either, the only time he stopped moving for a a split second he was losing the dumbbell behind him so wasn't in control, that's why he had to walk backwards. This was the the same for all athletes, not just him, the rules are you have to have feet inline with the implement locked out and under control. For all Brian's reps he was completely stable because he has stronger core / more bodyweight.
Don't get me wrong as I'm a Martin's fan for sure and he did great on the deadlift and stones and was definitely in great shape but the contest was literally designed for him to win. Basically on his door step with all his best events at the best weights for him and they even put weak events or what they thought was weak events for who they knew would push him the most on those events. The 1st of 2 medleys they put on sand so the bodyweight of guys like Thor and Shaw would hinder them and they made he implements lighter to suit Martin's more. The overhead medley again they made light so it would suit Martin's more. They then startegicaly put the squat next, obviously for reps as Martin's is known to be very good at squat for reps but also because they knew it was likely only kila would beat him on the overhead medley and they didn't think he had a good squat so essentially Martin's was going last knowing the number to beat. They then put a grip hold event in because again Martin's is known for his grip strength and at that point they thought both kila and thor had weaker grips and would drop points, and they knew Martin's would win the squat so be out last knowing the time to beat. Also from everythimg seen on social media he knew the events well before other athletes, other athletes such as Shaw actually found out some of the events from watching Martin's YouTube. If you look back you can see he was putting big emphasis on squat, stones and grip for a number of months and then he was training the overhead medley with double dumbbells even. He obviously knew the events a long while before world's, maybe for several months (his training sure did fit the final events perfectly if not) and the other athletes were saying they didn't know the events even a month or weeks from he comp, Thor, Shaw etc
Again, I'm a Martin's fan, but that was a crock of s**t, there was almost no possible way he could lose.

Totally agree with all of the above. It was designed to take it away from the big guys (Thor & Shaw) maybe they've had enough of them dominating. Things like putting the loading race on sand doesn't help anything - how is that really testing strength by just making it more difficult for bigger men to run on? They wouldn't put truck pull on sand would they!!

the DL hold was pathetic in a WSM final - it should have been max DL or log in the final!

I hope next year they revert back to some of the old format - go back to 6 events, get rid of the playoff showdown which regardless of this DL technique, absolutely robbed Navikov of a place in the final - top 2 in every event and then loses after putting a 180kg atlas stone over a bar 13 times because the other guy is bigger and better at that particular event!! Pathetic!! That's simply a stamina thing and usually easier for the bigger man to pop it over the bar while a 'smaller' man has to struggle more to get it over each time.
PaulSavageIcon...02-01-2020 @ 17:43 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 02.01.2020 @ 17:50 PM by PaulSavage
oggy22 said:
Totally agree with all of the above. It was designed to take it away from the big guys (Thor & Shaw) maybe they've had enough of them dominating. Things like putting the loading race on sand doesn't help anything - how is that really testing strength by just making it more difficult for bigger men to run on? They wouldn't put truck pull on sand would they!!
the DL hold was pathetic in a WSM final - it should have been max DL or log in the final!
I hope next year they revert back to some of the old format - go back to 6 events, get rid of the playoff showdown which regardless of this DL technique, absolutely robbed Navikov of a place in the final - top 2 in every event and then loses after putting a 180kg atlas stone over a bar 13 times because the other guy is bigger and better at that particular event!! Pathetic!! That's simply a stamina thing and usually easier for the bigger man to pop it over the bar while a 'smaller' man has to struggle more to get it over each time.

Yeah essentially you are screwed if you aren't really good at stones unless you are top 5 in the world and get a good group, an of course not everyone is built well for stones. This is how world's strongest Man works though, they only care about drama on TV or selling a story. They don't care about the sport or the athletes well being (always hot as hell temps and hardly any notice for warm up time, loads of bad injuries). They simply care about making money and I'm sure they make plenty, certainly a hell of a lot more than the athletes do that's for sure.
jtIcon...02-01-2020 @ 18:08 
old age traveller
Member 332, 7865 posts
Amuses me every year guys getting wound up by a tv show.

I actually enjoyed Deadlift hold sans straps, a proper test of grip strength.

Yes Novikov was robbed but its a tv show and same as all reality tv the producers can make sure Their winner wins.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...02-01-2020 @ 19:47 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22040 posts
PeteHodgson said:
Ban figure of 8 straps or ref properly.

They were conventional straps weren't they?
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...02-01-2020 @ 19:49 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22040 posts
Waaaay too many ad breaks during the final!!

Well done to the Brits and well done to Licis Happy
PeteHodgsonIcon...02-01-2020 @ 20:05 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
He'll probably get 'elastistraps' for his next comp.
hardcheeseIcon...02-01-2020 @ 23:13 
level 4 bioCheese
Member 5265, 82 posts
I am also not a fan of only 5 events in the final.

If they keep doing that, I'd rather they kept the group events the same for all groups(which they almost did) and then used the points/events from the group as the first half of final.
DeanW92Icon...03-01-2020 @ 09:36 
Member 4496, 1446 posts
SQ 240, BP 200, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
I think that even with no injury and making no mistakes thor would still be 2-3 points behind licis.

If he didn't drop the anvil he would of gained quite a few places, probably would have finished 3rd, maybe even 2nd.

He messed up on the Dumbell which cost him 1 place.

His foot looked to affect him most on the squat and i think this is why he was pretty much pause squatting as he had balance issues. I think he may have also tightened his suit too much, without suits he would win this event every time

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitXmas WSM 2019
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions