REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 73 guests

Political thread anyone?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

umpalumpalifterIcon...11-06-2017 @ 16:35 
Member 5836, 366 posts
SQ 220, BP 137.5, DL 235
592.5 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Boar said:can you imagine how cross May will be in private !!? her husband must have retired to his man cave for a long, long time

Calling the election was a pretty stupid thing to do in hindsight.

Whilst I can see some of the points for Labour their attempts to give everyone a gold plated unicorn put me off - there's no way you can promise everything they promised and just get the rich to pay for it. For me would have felt more trusting if they made those promises but said they will go after the 1% but others would have to pay too. Think people care about NHS, policing and education enough to have accepted that
Fakeinjury17Icon...24-06-2018 @ 18:37 
Member 6229, 67 posts
SQ 140, BP 150, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 24.06.2018 @ 18:38 PM by Fakeinjury17
Basing my views on politicians I've met, I found Corbyn to be a decent guy and his case/constituency officers were excellent.

My local MP on the other hand is drunk by mid-morning which makes his case surgeries pointless albeit humorous.

I've been in every stupid far left wing party in my youth and found them to be well meaning eejits, but would probably say I'd prefer Corbyn to the current lot. I'd always rather watch a repeat of Giants Live than debate politics these days though as I spent a lot of years talking rubbish arguing irrelevant points.

Obviously I'm well qualified to comment as I managed a whopping 6 weeks as an elected councillor.

I've even bored myself writing this.
dannyboy73Icon...11-12-2019 @ 19:24 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
For the love of all mankind.

get your arse out and vote for labour,,,

Unless you earn over 60k a year and have a huge pension and private health insurance that is then.... say home its gonna be cold tomorrowGrin
slow_lift_joeIcon...11-12-2019 @ 22:29 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
The problem is not just Corbyn, it is the whole team Corbyn, Mcdonnell and Abbot.

I just cannot see the UK voting for that team, they might like the manifesto, the money and a new social state idea.

...Interesting yet again tomorrow, here we go again.

I am at a loss and feel politically homeless or do I vote for the best out of a bad lot, like one of my best friends does. He states you vote for the best out of parties as a whole, look at the main factors economy, crime, NHS, etc and go with who will you trust on the important factors, but do vote, cast a vote.

So very difficult and I do not trust any of them, which is sad.Confused
slimsimIcon...12-12-2019 @ 10:27 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
dannyboy73 said:For the love of all mankind.

get your arse out and vote for labour,,,

Unless you earn over 60k a year and have a huge pension and private health insurance that is then.... say home its gonna be cold tomorrowGrin

Unfortunately, that isn't quite true. If you saw the Andrew Neil interview with JC, because of the Labour planned changes to dividend tax you'll see how, however, for me as a small ltd company owner I'll be several thousand pounds a year worse off under labour, even though I don't earn over the threshold that they said would have the tax increases.

Has it stopped me voting for Labour, no. I want a fairer society where working people don't need to use food banks to survive and where people educating themselves don't end up in tens of thousands of debt to often get jobs which pay only slightly in excess of the national average.

Do I hope Labour will change some of the divided tax changes within their manifesto, absolutely, but even if they don't I still think it's the lesser of the 2 evils presented.
WILLSANIcon...12-12-2019 @ 12:44 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7784881/Starting-wrong-foo...

Vote Labour to make Diane Abbott your Home Secretary! Cool
WILLSANIcon...13-12-2019 @ 06:57 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
https://i.imgur.com/yVSa4V1.gif
DeanW92Icon...13-12-2019 @ 15:25 
Member 4496, 1446 posts
SQ 240, BP 200, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
Unfortunately, that isn't quite true. If you saw the Andrew Neil interview with JC, because of the Labour planned changes to dividend tax you'll see how, however, for me as a small ltd company owner I'll be several thousand pounds a year worse off under labour, even though I don't earn over the threshold that they said would have the tax increases.
Has it stopped me voting for Labour, no. I want a fairer society where working people don't need to use food banks to survive and where people educating themselves don't end up in tens of thousands of debt to often get jobs which pay only slightly in excess of the national average.
Do I hope Labour will change some of the divided tax changes within their manifesto, absolutely, but even if they don't I still think it's the lesser of the 2 evils presented.

The bit about University, the fees now at up to 9grand a year are ridiculous, they where fine when it was just over 3. The problem is so many people go to uni just to toss it and have no idea of what career they want, i bet 30% of people don't even complete their third year, if it was free to go to uni this problem would only increase, at the current costs there is probably not as much of this happening but i will probably put some people off who generally should be going to uni.

My other half studied accountancy and is now an accountant, paying off the 11 grand it cost for her to go to uni is not a massive problem because she choose her course knowing what she wanted to do.
slimsimIcon...13-12-2019 @ 16:30 
Member 2926, 6050 posts
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
DeanW92 said:
The bit about University, the fees now at up to 9grand a year are ridiculous, they where fine when it was just over 3. The problem is so many people go to uni just to toss it and have no idea of what career they want, i bet 30% of people don't even complete their third year, if it was free to go to uni this problem would only increase, at the current costs there is probably not as much of this happening but i will probably put some people off who generally should be going to uni.
My other half studied accountancy and is now an accountant, paying off the 11 grand it cost for her to go to uni is not a massive problem because she choose her course knowing what she wanted to do.

The thing is as well, some occupations like accounts can earn seriously good money, however, I was talking to 2 students doing nursing the other day. One had £35k of debt the other nearly £50k. The one with more debt had to pay for childcare through her entire degree because if you are a student you aren't eligible for the 30hrs free childcare a week. Now nursing isn't badly paid but chances are without some significant promotions they are only going to earn slightly in excess of the national average wage but start of with a massive debt for the pleasure of getting the education which they MUST HAVE to do the job. It's madness!
PeteHodgsonIcon...13-12-2019 @ 16:45 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Oh cock!
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...13-12-2019 @ 17:22 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22017 posts
Now we will never know if Labour would have actually let a homeless family live in 11 Downing Street.
dannyboy73Icon...13-12-2019 @ 17:32 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
Indeed.

Hard hats on.

PeteHodgson said:Oh cock!
umpalumpalifterIcon...14-12-2019 @ 18:13 
Member 5836, 366 posts
SQ 220, BP 137.5, DL 235
592.5 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
DeanW92 said:

Is it not that you only pay for your loan/tuition fees once you've met a earnings threshold - this is a % and therefore is just the educated and higher earners in the country paying a higher tax for that education?

This is why I could never understand why its said it puts off people on lower socioeconomic groups - why? They don't have to pay unless it gets them up out of that situation. What am I missing?
DeanW92Icon...14-12-2019 @ 20:52 
Member 4496, 1446 posts
SQ 240, BP 200, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
The thing is as well, some occupations like accounts can earn seriously good money, however, I was talking to 2 students doing nursing the other day. One had £35k of debt the other nearly £50k. The one with more debt had to pay for childcare through her entire degree because if you are a student you aren't eligible for the 30hrs free childcare a week. Now nursing isn't badly paid but chances are without some significant promotions they are only going to earn slightly in excess of the national average wage but start of with a massive debt for the pleasure of getting the education which they MUST HAVE to do the job. It's madness!

Minimum wage is around £19000 a year, nurses start off on 24k. As per every NHS job you get increases in wage inline with inflation and there is a banding system. After working there for 10 years you reach the top of the band which is around 30k (although at the moment this has been changed so it will take 5 years) Student loans are also paid off as a percentage of your wage, the more you earn, the more you pay each month towards you student loans. My other half is an accountant for the NHS and so everytime she gets a wage rise she ends up paying more towards her pension and more towards her student loan.

The nurses may never pay off 50k and im sure it gets scrapped after like 20 years? So the more you earn the more you pay towards it and the more likely it is you will actually pay off the full amount.
slimsimIcon...15-12-2019 @ 20:09 
Member 2926, 6050 posts
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
DeanW92 said:
Minimum wage is around £19000 a year, nurses start off on 24k. As per every NHS job you get increases in wage inline with inflation and there is a banding system. After working there for 10 years you reach the top of the band which is around 30k (although at the moment this has been changed so it will take 5 years) Student loans are also paid off as a percentage of your wage, the more you earn, the more you pay each month towards you student loans. My other half is an accountant for the NHS and so everytime she gets a wage rise she ends up paying more towards her pension and more towards her student loan.
The nurses may never pay off 50k and im sure it gets scrapped after like 20 years? So the more you earn the more you pay towards it and the more likely it is you will actually pay off the full amount.

But the mean average income in the UK is nearly £30,000 so studying for 3 years, having £30k+ of debt and then only ending up on an average salary makes no sense, yet to the goverment think they'll attract 50,000 more nurses whilst simultaneously implementing an Australian stle points based entry system to the UK when the financial limit to enter the UK is set higher than an average nurses wage.

There's a big problem there.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions