Reducing plastic waste

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Wayne_CowdreyIconReducing plastic waste19-09-2019 @ 16:14 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22042 posts
Are you making any effort?
billynomatesIcon...19-09-2019 @ 17:27 
Member 4923, 1795 posts
Yes, I recycle where possible (retailers need to do more here, or maybe just Lidl as much of their packaging isnt recyclable).
I also have a bamboo cup for coffee.
I recently bought a second-hand fleshlight.
jtIcon...19-09-2019 @ 18:40 
old age traveller
Member 332, 7865 posts
billynomates said:Yes, I recycle where possible (retailers need to do more here, or maybe just Lidl as much of their packaging isnt recyclable).
I also have a bamboo cup for coffee.
I recently bought a second-hand fleshlight.

The stuff they use to bond the bamboo is known to melt and leach into your hot beverage.
jtIcon...19-09-2019 @ 18:42 
old age traveller
Member 332, 7865 posts
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Are you making any effort?

We have been doing eco bricks for the last year.

Also using wax wraps rather than cling film.
danbaseleyIcon...19-09-2019 @ 18:43 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4473 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Get a thermos flask. Metal one. Use this to drink your hot beverage out of.
danbaseleyIcon...19-09-2019 @ 18:43 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4473 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Probably won't be long until tinned water.

San Pellegrino are already doing it.
dannyboy73Icon...19-09-2019 @ 20:46 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 19.09.2019 @ 20:46 PM by dannyboy73
No

I am not panicking even if a 12 year old tells me to...

No to eating maggots in any form for even burgers (you know the rich will still eat what they like)

No to frightening my 3 and 4 year olds to death about globe warming

No to encouraging people to live like cattle in 'pods' the size of 200 sq foot

No to the rich misleading to poor with propergander as they get rich off recycling

That will be a NO then.Wink

billynomatesIcon...19-09-2019 @ 22:58 
Member 4923, 1795 posts
jt said:
The stuff they use to bond the bamboo is known to melt and leach into your hot beverage.

There is always a catch.
billynomatesIcon...19-09-2019 @ 23:06 
Member 4923, 1795 posts
dannyboy73 said:No
I am not panicking even if a 12 year old tells me to...
No to eating maggots in any form for even burgers (you know the rich will still eat what they like)
No to frightening my 3 and 4 year olds to death about globe warming
No to encouraging people to live like cattle in 'pods' the size of 200 sq foot
No to the rich misleading to poor with propergander as they get rich off recycling
That will be a NO then.Wink

I think the extent to which people can make a difference to climate change is realistically very limited. If anything will save us it will be new technology.

But the thread is about reducing plastic waste. How do you feel about all the poor little fishies with plastic in their bellies?
matthewvcIcon...20-09-2019 @ 08:35 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3220 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq

Not in Thailand. I alway get a plastic bag even if it’s just a 10 baht bottle (plastic) of chocolate milk.

These eco extremists ‘extinction rebellion’ etc are just pushing a far left/marxist, anti-capitalist agenda under the auspices of climate change with ‘saint Greta’ as their figurehead. was back in Leeds the week they blocked neville street (one of main streets into town) with their antics. In Thailand the cops would have water cannon and baton rounded their camp and cleared that road within an hour.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...20-09-2019 @ 09:10 
Member 400, 22042 posts
jt said:
We have been doing eco bricks for the last year.

I had to Google "eco bricks". I like the concept Happy
slimsimIcon...20-09-2019 @ 11:02 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
It actually makes me really sad when people say they make no effort with reducing plastic waste. Why not? Surely anyone other than the blind can see how much destruction and how many issues are caused by plastic waste?

I live about 5-miles from a beach and takes my dogs walking there most days. The amount of bottle tops, small broken toys, just general bits of waste is so apparent.

I don't want my kids going up in a world where even the best views are blighted by a crisp packet blowing past them.....
dannyboy73Icon...20-09-2019 @ 19:15 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
Well this I agree with

Whereas I do not fully buy into the global warming hysteria (I believe its becoming like an unquestionable religion which bothers my critical thinking self, and woe betide you if you question it) I do however believe that your immediate environment should be clean, ait clean and lots of open space for good healthy living the way we evolved to enjoy... as for plastic. FFS children practice what you preach, I rarely buy new cloths and chintzy crappy toys for my kids... Consumerism is an issue I brought my kids up not to be fashionable and wast money. I also dont fly at the moment as I rather support the UK or go on a cruise when the kids get older...

Shame is, I see the kids protesting in label cloths I expect they enjoy all the perks of of our modern world and have little clue what power they are giving unconditionally to the haves to restrict ours and future generations quality of life and I think...a little naive and hypercritical.

slimsim said:It actually makes me really sad when people say they make no effort with reducing plastic waste. Why not? Surely anyone other than the blind can see how much destruction and how many issues are caused by plastic waste?

I live about 5-miles from a beach and takes my dogs walking there most days. The amount of bottle tops, small broken toys, just general bits of waste is so apparent.

I don't want my kids going up in a world where even the best views are blighted by a crisp packet blowing past them.....
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...20-09-2019 @ 21:32 
Member 400, 22042 posts
I'm making some effort, but there's definite room for improvement. Being on a water meter doesn't particularly make me want to rinse out used yoghurt pots etc.

What are you meant to do with something like a used squeezy bottle of salad cream? There's a lot of residue in there. Do people bother to clean them out and put them in the recycling?
jtIcon...21-09-2019 @ 15:26 
old age traveller
Member 332, 7865 posts
Wayne_Cowdrey said:I'm making some effort, but there's definite room for improvement. Being on a water meter doesn't particularly make me want to rinse out used yoghurt pots etc.

What are you meant to do with something like a used squeezy bottle of salad cream? There's a lot of residue in there. Do people bother to clean them out and put them in the recycling?

Assuming you do washing up of normal pots just wash the plastic stuff out after you have done the pots, if you are eco bricking then hang it out to dry.

Wayne you could make some eco brick "weights"

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions