Suspend Parliament...Now what ?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

matthewvcIcon...07-09-2019 @ 19:49 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3220 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 07.09.2019 @ 19:50 PM by matthewvc
Boris wandering around Morley getting heckled was partridge-esque (farmer episode springs to mind ‘Oi partridge you wa**er!’) I know Queen street well, as my last gf (before I married) had a thai massage shop down there. I wonder if Boris went in for a ‘happy ending’?
HamIcon...09-09-2019 @ 10:38 
Ham but hey
Member 4787, 205 posts
I often wonder why people say they (the EU) have no reason to give us a good deal and my mind can't help but ask has the rest of Europe forgotten what we suffered through, lost, saved, gave and rebuilt after WW2?

I mean my understanding is that the UK fought for Europe at immense cost and suffered long after WW2, sacrificing it's own health long after to help Europe not be oppressed under a dictatorial leader and rebuild. Isn't that enough to want to help us/support us going into a new future?

I wouldn't tell my Grandad to f**k off out on his ear if he wanted to move house. Irrespective of his views, my views or anyone elses. He earned the right to be supported in his decision to stand apart. A weird metaphor perhaps and just a thought process.
slimsimIcon...09-09-2019 @ 12:04 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
matthewvc said:Boris wandering around Morley getting heckled was partridge-esque (farmer episode springs to mind ‘Oi partridge you wa**er!’) I know Queen street well, as my last gf (before I married) had a thai massage shop down there. I wonder if Boris went in for a ‘happy ending’?

Hopefully he got "Cock Piss Johnson" sprayed on his car!

I'll expect he's getting some worse heckling in Ireland today.....
slimsimIcon...09-09-2019 @ 12:05 
Member 2926, 6050 posts
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Ham said:I often wonder why people say they (the EU) have no reason to give us a good deal and my mind can't help but ask has the rest of Europe forgotten what we suffered through, lost, saved, gave and rebuilt after WW2?

I mean my understanding is that the UK fought for Europe at immense cost and suffered long after WW2, sacrificing it's own health long after to help Europe not be oppressed under a dictatorial leader and rebuild. Isn't that enough to want to help us/support us going into a new future?

I wouldn't tell my Grandad to f**k off out on his ear if he wanted to move house. Irrespective of his views, my views or anyone elses. He earned the right to be supported in his decision to stand apart. A weird metaphor perhaps and just a thought process.

But if you split up acrimoniously with your missus you might tell her to f**k off, even if she treated you like a god before it all went sour.......
HamIcon...09-09-2019 @ 12:14 
Ham but hey
Member 4787, 205 posts
Perhaps, I like to think that adults can step back and remember what happened historically rather than be pissy about not getting what they want. If a country can't cant do that then what does that say about the relationship in the first place.
slimsimIcon...09-09-2019 @ 16:06 
Member 2926, 6050 posts
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Ham said:Perhaps, I like to think that adults can step back and remember what happened historically rather than be pissy about not getting what they want. If a country can't cant do that then what does that say about the relationship in the first place.

So on that basis, do you think that every German alive now should be apologetic over Hitler.
Why should they when it wasn't their fault.

Same rule applies here, you can't expect "the Europeans" to be grateful with anything other than lip service when the vast majority weren't even alive when the war ended.
RickIcon...09-09-2019 @ 19:03 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
The war ended SEVENTY-FOUR YEARS AGO. If you can't point to anything more recent than that we really would be a sad excuse for a country.
HamIcon...09-09-2019 @ 20:45 
Ham but hey
Member 4787, 205 posts
slimsim said:
So on that basis, do you think that every German alive now should be apologetic over Hitler.
Why should they when it wasn't their fault.
Same rule applies here, you can't expect "the Europeans" to be grateful with anything other than lip service when the vast majority weren't even alive when the war ended.

Not apologetic no, just as I don't expect anyone in the UK the be taking bragging rights for something our previous generations did, it would just be nice if the EU didn't appear to not give a rats ass...having said that...I have no clue if they do or they don't, most media is bulls**t. I don't know how long it took the UK to recover the financial losses of years of rebuilding a war torn Germany but I assume it was a fair time? I know my family still has their ration books they had to grow up with while billions of tonnes of resources were still being flown almost hourly to Europe to help them.

To say well meh it was x years ago so forget what it did for us or the millions of others who have freedom of speech and life to this day does seem a little of a bird flicking ignorant slur to the living warriors that still exist alive today and have to watch this country become a piss poor pussy whipped version of itself.

I also don't know much of anything to do with politics full stop other than all we seem to hear in the news is what a bunch of dick cheese most politicians are and i for one would hate to have to try and please all the people all the time. Thankless c**tcheese of a job IMO.

All just online chatter mind.
billynomatesIcon...09-09-2019 @ 23:00 
Member 4923, 1795 posts
The EU have to make it difficult for UK to leave, to discourage other member states from doing so.
slow_lift_joeIcon...09-09-2019 @ 23:28 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
The fact is this, we had a referendum, a direct vote.

Vote only once, by putting a cross

Remain a member of the European Union
Leave the European Union

Result Remain 48.1. Leave 58.9.

It was a result, that was the electorate direct decision.

....Now if Labour, Liberals SNP and the Greens etc think the general public who voted to leave are wrong, stupid and did not understand the question or the consequence of the action then I think they are might be in for a surprise when general election happens.

I am reviewing this from sitting on a fence as I got home from driving too late to vote. But if this was a business it would be in liquidation and bankrupt. It needs to move along and move to other pressing issues in the country.
The sun will come up long after Brexit and the UK will adapt to the change.

Happy
slow_lift_joeIcon...09-09-2019 @ 23:35 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
The correct figures :- Remain 48.1, Leave 51.9
I do apologise for my maths earlier, I drive long hours.

The result however was the result and the whole sorry business of Brexit needs to move along for all our sakes and the sun will come up again.

Happy
FatpeteIcon...10-09-2019 @ 06:39 
Hyper obese Pete
Member 70, 17867 posts
SQ 322.5, BP 205, DL 300
827.5 kgs @ 133kgs Eq
slow_lift_joe said:
....Now if Labour, Liberals SNP and the Greens etc think the general public who voted to leave are wrong, stupid and did not understand the question or the consequence of the action then I think they are might be in for a surprise when general election happens.

I don't think it is that at all. Back in '16 we were just voting leave and there was no flesh on the bones of the leave skeleton at all.

Three years on there is, not as much flesh as we were led to believe and not so healthy flesh as we were promised.

So now that we all know exactly what leave means it seems perfectly reasonable to ask the question again. I am nothing if not reasonable. But the original leave voters seem outraged at being asked, what amounts to "are you sure?"
JohnGymIcon...10-09-2019 @ 08:31 
Hamstrings feel activated.
Member 1107, 6964 posts
SQ 220, BP 152.5, DL 252.5
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Fatpete said:
I don't think it is that at all. Back in '16 we were just voting leave and there was no flesh on the bones of the leave skeleton at all.
Three years on there is, not as much flesh as we were led to believe and not so healthy flesh as we were promised.
So now that we all know exactly what leave means it seems perfectly reasonable to ask the question again. I am nothing if not reasonable. But the original leave voters seem outraged at being asked, what amounts to "are you sure?"

This. Absolutely this.

The successful leave vote was built on propaganda. Even with the level of propaganda (for propaganda, read lies) that there was, the result was 50/50, give or take.

Nearly half of the country thought the idea of leaving was bo***cks despite the outrageous lies being peddled. Now the country knows the reality of the situation, I would expect the remain vote to be the majority.

Either way, for a decision of this size and now knowing what we know, the least that should happen is that we have an 'Are you sure' vote.
The result should need to be a vast majority win also to make such a monumental decision . Say, 80/20. A few percentage points either way means the action to follow alienates half of a country.

Any decision that alienates half of the audianece is a bad decision.

Ps, Tory's are c**ts.
slimsimIcon...10-09-2019 @ 10:01 
Member 2926, 6050 posts
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
^Bingo and double Bingo

Maybe some marketeers could sell it to the general populous that a second referendum isn't simply trying to reverse the decision of the first, although I'd be amazed if it didn't but is purely being done on an "are you sure?" basis.

I literally feel stupid when I tell people that I voted leave as my vote was based on factors like more money to the NHS, better trade with other countries and more sayso over our laws. The reality is, I didn't know enough to realise that we have plenty of sayso over our laws, the NHS is still likely to be on the table is a trade deal with the US is wanted and the fact that these politicians are slow slow at doing anything that to get a significant number of trade deals is going to take years and years, leaving the country in a state of flux in the meantime.

Would I vote leave again. Would I bo***cks. Yes, both sides may have built their campaigns on lies but at least with the remain campaign we were dealing with known factors/issues.
slow_lift_joeIcon...10-09-2019 @ 19:13 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
Please tell you are not serious :- "Are you sure vote."

Why not best out "three votes" or "Are really, really certain about this before you completely screw the country up vote"

How about " Are sure about Corbyn & Abbot vote"

Are sure about " Boris & Mogg vote"

Where does this end.

I personally think Cameron got it wrong by going for a referendum.
Surely he should have taken a much more considered approach then what he did.
These people are supposed to be well educated and informed people.
If the referendum did not happen we would have just got on with our lifes.

The whole of brexit is a sorry mess and the man who went for the referendum is now living the high life writing his memoirs.

If this was a business it would be bankrupt, shocking handling from start to a never ending finish.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions