REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 160 guests

Suspend Parliament...Now what ?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

slow_lift_joeIconSuspend Parliament...Now what ?28-08-2019 @ 21:48 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
Suspend Parliament not since :- 1628 Charles 1st. 1655 Oliver Cromwell. 1831 The Great Reform.
1948 The Parliament Act. 1997 John Major with the cash for questions report.

For a gauge on the future look back at history.

Very interesting times indeed.
IrishMarcIcon...03-09-2019 @ 15:32 
no really Irish
Member 1196, 5908 posts
SQ 312, BP 230, DL 320
862.0 kgs @ 114kgs UnEq
We should just see who can rep 225 lbs for the most reps in Parliament and let them lead negotiations.
billynomatesIcon...03-09-2019 @ 15:59 
Member 4923, 1795 posts
Although Johnson is a clown, I agree with what he's doing. Parliament wont let him implement the will of the people so he has to do what is necessary. Theres been enough faffing around at this stage.
KevC86Icon...03-09-2019 @ 16:33 
Member 5141, 4204 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
It's a very interesting tactic.

I kind of like the balls of it.
slimsimIcon...03-09-2019 @ 18:21 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
I've said it numerous times now, if I went into a restaurant and ordered a steak but some cheap mince was served up then I'd have the ability to complain and either order something different or walk out without paying. Brexit is much like this situation but without the ability to complain and Boris is suspending parliament so that protests for things like a second referendum can be stifled. Shameful.

The problem is politics is not completely split between not only the parties but remainers and leavers. I think Brexit may screw British politics up forever.
RickIcon...03-09-2019 @ 18:37 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Astonishing that we've arrived at a point where, in the expressed view of the executive and much of the (almost entirely billionaire-owned) press:

- exceeding the mandate of a three-year-old opinion poll with badly-described options on which the narrowly-winning side broke the law repeatedly and promised this very situation (no deal) was impossible, is urgent and essential, and

- obeying the law of the country is optional.

Interesting times.

Note that A de P Johnson could trigger the fastest economic revival in British history with four words. ("I revoke Article Fifty.") Daydream believer, I know.
dannyboy73Icon...03-09-2019 @ 20:31 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
This.

Problem is...If the will of the people is not met and we leave as we voted...I guarantee you the Brexit party will run away with dozens of seats at the next general election.

I think the media and the hardcore remainers have grossly miss judged the mood of the general population. This could all go very right wing (and the liberal with pick up seats of course for remainers protest votes)

Worrying times id say

billynomates said:Although Johnson is a clown, I agree with what he's doing. Parliament wont let him implement the will of the people so he has to do what is necessary. Theres been enough faffing around at this stage.
slow_lift_joeIcon...04-09-2019 @ 00:07 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
....Now a possible general election.

Whilst we are living in very uncertain times and history in the making it is interesting to see what will happen in the coming weeks/months.

Will Corbyn be up for a general election ?
There could even be legal battles ?
More protests on the streets on both sides ?

It is without doubt the biggest constitutional change for a very long time and politics is changing.

Maybe once resolved we will all just get on with our life's and move on, but Brexit has caused a revolutionary moment like Cromwell but without the artillery, swords, matchlocks and the cavalry charge...
Happy
NimbleIcon...04-09-2019 @ 02:56 
woefully weak
Member 4748, 1506 posts
SQ 157, BP 133, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 04.09.2019 @ 03:01 AM by Nimble
Rick said:Astonishing that we've arrived at a point where, in the expressed view of the executive and much of the (almost entirely billionaire-owned) press:

- exceeding the mandate of a three-year-old opinion poll with badly-described options on which the narrowly-winning side broke the law repeatedly and promised this very situation (no deal) was impossible, is urgent and essential, and

- obeying the law of the country is optional.

Interesting times.

Note that A de P Johnson could trigger the fastest economic revival in British history with four words. ("I revoke Article Fifty.") Daydream believer, I know.

Not sure where the billionaires brexit meme came from. There are a couple of rich individuals that support brexit of course but the wealthy on the whole are overwhelming remain
FatpeteIcon...04-09-2019 @ 06:56 
Hyper obese Pete
Member 70, 17883 posts
SQ 322.5, BP 205, DL 300
827.5 kgs @ 133kgs Eq
Post Edited: 04.09.2019 @ 07:19 AM by Fatpete
billynomates said: Parliament wont let him implement the will of the people so he has to do what is necessary. Theres been enough faffing around at this stage.

There is an argument that they are demanding that he implement the will of the people.

No-one voted for a no deal. That was never mentioned in 2016, even Farage insisted there be a deal. They are all trying to re-write history and pretend that no deal was an option but it wasn't.

So they want the deal that was promised and don't want the no-deal that was never mentioned. Seems fairly straight forward to me.

Of course this was always going to be the outcome when you vote against something and not for something.

It's akin to having fish and chips for your dinner every day, you take a vote on whether to continue eating fish and chips or to bin them and have "something else"

48% vote fish and chips and 52% vote something else. That is the easy bit done, now the hard bit starts getting the diners on agreeing what "something else" actually is. If you offer roast beef a couple will think that is delicious and the others will say, "I don't want that s**t, I never voted for roast beef"

Now, they didn't vote for roast beef, but they did vote something else and roast beef is something else so maybe they did. All parliament is trying to do is get Boris to take dogs**t sandwiches off the list of possibilities. Especially as there is a significant number of MPs who believe that dogs**t sandwiches is his preferred option.

All in my humble opinion of course.

Good luck to us all.
BigMaccaIcon...04-09-2019 @ 13:22 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9942 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 04.09.2019 @ 13:24 PM by BigMacca
Fatpete said:
There is an argument that they are demanding that he implement the will of the people.
No-one voted for a no deal. That was never mentioned in 2016, even Farage insisted there be a deal. They are all trying to re-write history and pretend that no deal was an option but it wasn't.
So they want the deal that was promised and don't want the no-deal that was never mentioned. Seems fairly straight forward to me.
Of course this was always going to be the outcome when you vote against something and not for something.
It's akin to having fish and chips for your dinner every day, you take a vote on whether to continue eating fish and chips or to bin them and have "something else"
48% vote fish and chips and 52% vote something else. That is the easy bit done, now the hard bit starts getting the diners on agreeing what "something else" actually is. If you offer roast beef a couple will think that is delicious and the others will say, "I don't want that s**t, I never voted for roast beef"
Now, they didn't vote for roast beef, but they did vote something else and roast beef is something else so maybe they did. All parliament is trying to do is get Boris to take dogs**t sandwiches off the list of possibilities. Especially as there is a significant number of MPs who believe that dogs**t sandwiches is his preferred option.
All in my humble opinion of course.
Good luck to us all.

The voting slip had two options on it

Remain a member of the European Union

Leave the European Union

The government produced leaflet that accompanied said voting slip made very clear that leaving the EU may leave the UK in worse economic position.

That's what was voted on.

What the campaign's were peddling on both sides is almost irrelevant now.
Did the leave campaign say we'd be able to get a great deal? Yup

Did the remain campaign promise immediate hardship if we voted to leave(doomsday budgets, back of the queue for US trade deal, immediate detrimental effect on UK economy)?
Sure did.

Doesn't effect what people actually voted on, to suggest that no-one understood what the voting slip actually meant is, quite frankly, silly.

Whatever the outcome, it needs to be resolved quickly. Parliament needs to be able to function again and businesses need to be able to plan.

The current state of deadlock/limbo is very damaging in itself.
slimsimIcon...04-09-2019 @ 15:57 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
BigMacca said:
The voting slip had two options on it
Remain a member of the European Union
Leave the European Union
The government produced leaflet that accompanied said voting slip made very clear that leaving the EU may leave the UK in worse economic position.
That's what was voted on.
What the campaign's were peddling on both sides is almost irrelevant now.
Did the leave campaign say we'd be able to get a great deal? Yup
Did the remain campaign promise immediate hardship if we voted to leave(doomsday budgets, back of the queue for US trade deal, immediate detrimental effect on UK economy)?
Sure did.
Doesn't effect what people actually voted on, to suggest that no-one understood what the voting slip actually meant is, quite frankly, silly.
Whatever the outcome, it needs to be resolved quickly. Parliament needs to be able to function again and businesses need to be able to plan.
The current state of deadlock/limbo is very damaging in itself.

I disagree. The media played a massive role in pushing certain agendas and whilst the facts may have been out there they weren't shouted about as loudly as other aspects, like how the NHS would receive £235m/week or whatever it was according to Boris's bus.

In addition to that, did ANYONE hear anything about a hard border in Ireland and consider the implications of this?

What is silly is what I put in my first post about being offered steak, being serve up cheap mince yet not being given the opportunity to complain about it.

What would be undemocratic about a second referendum now that people have a much better idea of how things will pan out?
BigMaccaIcon...04-09-2019 @ 17:37 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9942 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 04.09.2019 @ 17:38 PM by BigMacca
slimsim said:
I disagree. The media played a massive role in pushing certain agendas and whilst the facts may have been out there they weren't shouted about as loudly as other aspects, like how the NHS would receive £235m/week or whatever it was according to Boris's bus.
In addition to that, did ANYONE hear anything about a hard border in Ireland and consider the implications of this?
What is silly is what I put in my first post about being offered steak, being serve up cheap mince yet not being given the opportunity to complain about it.
What would be undemocratic about a second referendum now that people have a much better idea of how things will pan out?

The border in Ireland was completely ignored/missed by both campaigns.

As for no deal, the remain campaign were pretty vocal about the possibility - Leave were waxing lyrical about how desperate the EU would be to trade and give a great deal (German Cars, Wine etc) whilst remain were 'I'll think you'll find we need them a lot more than they need us and there is no incentive to give us a good deal'

I think the undemocratic part of having another referendum now is that we haven't seen what leaving actually means, just a lot of forecasts that may or may not mean anything as there is a lot of political agenda.

Leave, then in 5/10 years time have another referendum when the outcome of leaving is a known/quantifiable thing.

I've never really cared either way (selfishly, I'm all sorted and it's not going to have any significant impact on me whatever happens), but I don't like all the political games being played one but
RickIcon...04-09-2019 @ 20:39 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10035 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Nimble said:
Not sure where the billionaires brexit meme came from. There are a couple of rich individuals that support brexit of course but the wealthy on the whole are overwhelming remain

Didn't say that. Was talking specifically about press ownership. EU media regulation has certainly made Murdoch unhappy frequently in the past.
NimbleIcon...05-09-2019 @ 00:36 
woefully weak
Member 4748, 1506 posts
SQ 157, BP 133, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Rick said:
Didn't say that. Was talking specifically about press ownership. EU media regulation has certainly made Murdoch unhappy frequently in the past.

Ah ok, just something I’ve seen around a lot. Murdoch is thankfully less relevant than he once was

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions