REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 221 guests

Armwrestling and grip

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

mikecmIconArmwrestling and grip14-04-2019 @ 20:22 
Member 6297, 99 posts
Hi all,

A couple of things. I'd like to get into arm wrestling - any advice for how best to train for it? I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot of articles but I'd like to hear from the horse's mouth, so to speak, the best way to go about it. I've been out of training for a couple of months with gout in my foot and then a pulled hamstring, but am basically following a usual powerlifting routine to build strength up.

Second point - I'd like to try to build my grip and hand strength up, partly for arm wrestling. Are there any bits of kit that I can use in the house to build up grip strength, outside of the gym? I've seen grippers but they seem to be more to test grip strength?

Either way i'm new to this way of training and any advice would be gratefully received!
PaulSavageIcon...14-04-2019 @ 20:56 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
The one thing that massively stood out in terms of the strength difference when arm wrestling high level arm wrestlers was strength in twisting the wrist, so twisting the hand from right to left (if right handed) specifically.

There really is nothing that trains this motion that you would do in typical strength training or even grip specific training. I've done the odd thing like light high rep sledge hammer rotations and that sort of thing sparingly over the years but it was a lot of force and a massive difference to my strength in it. I couldn't put up any resistance to it what so ever really, it felt like almost being wrapped up by a snake into an awkward position where you was off balance and no strength could be found. This is what Devon Larrat talks about when it says it comes from that (and points to the weird muscle in his forearm most people don't have) that's what the muscle does and why his is so noticeable.

This said, I'd do a lot things with a towel or strap rotating the wrists, and I'd do it heavy. You definitely need to actually arm wrestle too though if you want to get serious with it, technique is a huge factor.
mikecmIcon...14-04-2019 @ 21:39 
Member 6297, 99 posts
Thanks for that Paul. In terms of hand/grip strength it seems appropriate to ask you - are there any particular exercises in the gym that you'd recommend for hand strength? Plus, is it worth getting a gripper to work at in the house just to purely build up hand/wrist strength? Any recommendations welcome.
PaulSavageIcon...15-04-2019 @ 11:22 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
mikecm said:Thanks for that Paul. In terms of hand/grip strength it seems appropriate to ask you - are there any particular exercises in the gym that you'd recommend for hand strength? Plus, is it worth getting a gripper to work at in the house just to purely build up hand/wrist strength? Any recommendations welcome.

Hand strength specifically for arm wrestling it's hard to say, I think you have pretty much always got to involve the wrist but John brezenk did train high rep grippers for endurance. One thing I'd say is that would increase the size of your hand making it harder for someone to grip up with you but yeah I'd just work the wrist in all directions gripping a towel or strap, add in some wrist curls etc an obviously you need to have a strong arm, back, shoulder etc
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions