what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10432 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Competes at 275 so I imagine he's around that maybe slightly higher
MikenetoIcon...22-02-2019 @ 18:25 
End of an era.
Member 4646, 1964 posts
After he goes to Dubai he will be 350lbs if the bodybuilders are anything to go off.
WILLSANIcon...22-02-2019 @ 23:53 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
I go away for a couple of days and the thread turns into the savage show!

PaulSavage said:
Then it would essentially make sure you were not as strong as you could have been in the contest. Yes you can get down on yourself if you don't understand how much stronger you will be after rest and keep in mind the goal is to be strong at the contest. Once you have been through a few hard preps like that and understand the process you don't lose confidence. You should also be looking to potentially beat what you have done in a previous prep in training, but not what you have done in contest (which should always be more), so if you compare like to like its not so bad.
Edit - Just watching the full video now and Thor confirms everything I'm saying and hasn't lost confidence at all.

confidence is only one aspect of the negative effects of failed lifts. the other, possibly more significant, side is what it takes out of you physically - that shouldnt be underestimated.

everything I have learnt over the years has lead me to polar opposite conclusions. I go as heavy as I can, as often as I can with the caveats being that form has to be [at least] good and failed lifts be avoided at all costs. I have had enough positive results to stick with that general formula. there is always more than one way to skin a cat of course but, from my experience, I would steer anyone away from the above approach.
neilakaconanIcon...23-02-2019 @ 09:57 
Member 2933, 511 posts
SQ 200, BP 152.5, DL 232.5
585.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
As this tread has alot of comments....
Anyone had the snip and had 2 to 4weeks off gym by doctors orders?
WILLSANIcon...23-02-2019 @ 10:28 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
neilakaconan said:As this tread has alot of comments....

https://i.imgur.com/2wGrhYa.gif
slimsimIcon...23-02-2019 @ 10:36 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
WILLSAN said:
https://i.imgur.com/2wGrhYa.gif

Grin
neilakaconanIcon...23-02-2019 @ 19:38 
Member 2933, 511 posts
SQ 200, BP 152.5, DL 232.5
585.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
That's a ... Erm.... No then
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...23-02-2019 @ 20:44 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22018 posts
WILLSAN said:
I go away for a couple of days and the thread turns into the savage show!

You surely aren't surprised by this Grin
PikefingersIcon...23-02-2019 @ 21:25 
Squatting isn't doing my back any good.
Member 5108, 869 posts
SQ 170, BP 125, DL 210
505.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
I think it was more like 10 days. Having said that I was told to work from home for a few days to avoid moving around afterwards, but had to walk to nursery to pick up kid next day and that caused a problem (by which I mean bleeding ballsack). I also tried going for a run a few days later... and quickly stopped and walked home very carefully.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...24-02-2019 @ 11:20 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
neilakaconan said:As this tread has alot of comments....

I have not had this done, but my advice would be to look after your nut satchel. It’s a delicate pouch that needs resting at this troublesome time.

You only get one ball bag, look after it.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...24-02-2019 @ 11:32 
Member 400, 22018 posts
CoC squeezing should be OK?
PaulSavageIcon...24-02-2019 @ 11:44 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
WILLSAN said:I go away for a couple of days and the thread turns into the savage show!
confidence is only one aspect of the negative effects of failed lifts. the other, possibly more significant, side is what it takes out of you physically - that shouldnt be underestimated.
everything I have learnt over the years has lead me to polar opposite conclusions. I go as heavy as I can, as often as I can with the caveats being that form has to be [at least] good and failed lifts be avoided at all costs. I have had enough positive results to stick with that general formula. there is always more than one way to skin a cat of course but, from my experience, I would steer anyone away from the above approach.

If your training like a typical powerlifting then yeah you shouldn't fail lifts, at least not any main lifts. With strongman its way too technical to realistically not fail anything unless you are very comfortable with all the events in the contest. If you do bodybuilding training then failing your 18th rep or whatever isn't going to do you much harm. I'd try avoid it but you also have to push the body. It completely depends on how you are training and what the events of the contest are (for example if you miss a keg toss so what).
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...24-02-2019 @ 12:25 
Member 400, 22018 posts
Log is more of a 'lift' than an 'event'.
PaulSavageIcon...24-02-2019 @ 16:42 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 24.02.2019 @ 16:51 PM by PaulSavage
Wayne_Cowdrey said:Log is more of a 'lift' than an 'event'.

I didn't see Thor fail anything, maybe he did off camera but I just seen two singles. That said, its both really, but it's very technical and requires good timing, you can easily miss a lift due to not getting your technique perfect or miss timing it. As Shaw said in one of the videos, you can get it right and it goes up like nothing or you can hit it wrong and it doesn't go up at all.
WILLSANIcon...24-02-2019 @ 16:54 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
If your training like a typical powerlifting then yeah you shouldn't fail lifts, at least not any main lifts. With strongman its way too technical to realistically not fail anything unless you are very comfortable with all the events in the contest. If you do bodybuilding training then failing your 18th rep or whatever isn't going to do you much harm. I'd try avoid it but you also have to push the body. It completely depends on how you are training and what the events of the contest are (for example if you miss a keg toss so what).

that doesnt really convince me.

lets take it back to max log - I know I can lift around 90% 1rm very regularly with little risk of failure. I am far better doing weights around that percentage week in, week out than going for 95%+ with the added risk of a failed lift. why?

- 90% lifts mean I can can hit many more of them in my build up than if I were using higher percentages. more lifts means more consistency which is important when you are lifting in competition as you only get one shot at making the lift.
- 90% lifts are more likely to be technically perfect. therefore you are training for technical perfection. form tends to break down on higher percentage lifts which leads to ingraining poor technique.
- lifting has a strong psychological element - with technical lifts such as log in particular. if you fail a certain weight that has the potential to plant a seed of failure in your mind. 'bogey weights' are a real phenomena that should be avoided.
- following on from that, in the internet age, when lifting competitively there is all kinds of psychological warfare going on before you even get to comp day. if a competitor sees one of their rivals posting a vid of a crappy lift they will get a psychological boost from that - sometimes an edge like that can make all the difference. in fact, an easy looking, technically perfect lift can serve as a more effective marker - case in point - hixxys recent log press vs thor and warry lheels.
- failing a lift, or grinding it out for that matter, also takes a lot out of you physically. for me, itll take a couple of weeks before I can get to hitting those high percentage weights again. that is a couple of weeks of wasted prep time.
- added on to that, the risk of injury is correlated to the weight on the bar and I would imagine it spikes up significantly at 95%+.

to be honest, it seems quite simple - the risk/reward is just not worth it. maybe im missing something though.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions