REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 164 guests

Larry Wheels is going to train with Thor

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

PaulSavageIcon...21-02-2019 @ 00:07 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
RebeccaRoberts said:
I mean who does thor think he is? The worlds strongest man or something? Im sure his coach knows how to programme his training. Does nobody here remember the success he had last year? Im sure he failed a weight or two in those preps aswell!

Obviously you shouldn't be failing stuff all the time and of course we generally don't but especially when its different events and new exercises its simply going to happen and sometimes needs to happen.
NimbleIcon...21-02-2019 @ 00:10 
woefully weak
Member 4748, 1506 posts
SQ 157, BP 133, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Nice circlejerk but all this proves is even very good coaches can make slight miscalculations. No way Thor’s coach sat down with him and said, “right, three weeks out we’re going to have you fail 190 for two singles; two weeks out you’ll fail 200 for two singles; and then you can rest up before the comp.” he expected him to get those reps comfrotabuy. Almost of all of what his coach programs for him is RPE 7-8. He probably didn’t change the program because he knows Thor is still strong enough to do very well on this event and he didn’t want to knock his confidence.
PaulSavageIcon...21-02-2019 @ 00:25 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Nimble said:Nice circlejerk but all this proves is even very good coaches can make slight miscalculations. No way Thor’s coach sat down with him and said, “right, three weeks out we’re going to have you fail 190 for two singles; two weeks out you’ll fail 200 for two singles; and then you can rest up before the comp.” he expected him to get those reps comfrotabuy. Almost of all of what his coach programs for him is RPE 7-8. He probably didn’t change the program because he knows Thor is still strong enough to do very well on this event and he didn’t want to knock his confidence.

Yeah for sure even the best coaches can miscalculate something like that, there's a huge amount of variables an log is extremely technical anyway but I doubt he would have expected is to be smooth sailing. It would have been a pb and for doing log press twice a week, heavy stone to shoulder, heavy sled pushes etc that's a tall order. He will know Thor will be smashed right now and will most likely be happy he got two singles at this point because, as Thor said himself, he knows he will be a lot stronger on the day and that is the only thing that matters, not what he did or didn't lift in training, it makes no odds.
KevC86Icon...21-02-2019 @ 04:17 
Member 5141, 4197 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
Apparently, me, Australia strength coach, licis, everybody that's doing anything good at all really

How did your name get on a list with those guys? Is your ego really that substantial?
AdamTIcon...21-02-2019 @ 09:19 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
KevC86 said:
How did your name get on a list with those guys? Is your ego really that substantial?

Don't be a hater!!!
PaulSavageIcon...21-02-2019 @ 10:17 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
KevC86 said:

Really don't care if you think I'm a s**t coach, that makes zero difference to my life and the results clearly show otherwise.
RebeccaRobertsIcon...21-02-2019 @ 12:50 
update game is weak
Member 6289, 173 posts
SQ 220, BP 120, DL 228
568.0 kgs @ 175kgs UnEq
KevC86 said:

He put himself on that list because he shares the same views and his coaching methods have worked wonders for me and the clients that he coaches
danbaseleyIcon...21-02-2019 @ 14:17 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4473 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
From what I have seen, Sebastian Oreb and Martin Licis training methods share very little in common.
slimsimIcon...21-02-2019 @ 14:45 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
RebeccaRoberts said:
He put himself on that list because he shares the same views and his coaching methods have worked wonders for me and the clients that he coaches

Apart from yourself which of Paul's client are currently world level competitors?

And not to negate your achievements but you're involved in things which are massively more niche than even mens strongman.

Obviously, you're going to have his back but Paul putting himself in that list more than hints at a fair degree of narcissism.
danbaseleyIcon...21-02-2019 @ 14:55 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4473 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Paul puts himself in the mix of such esteemed company, because he has a long history of delusions of grandeur: many examples of which he has publically listed on this site.

Add in a healthy splash of the Dunning-Kruger effect, and several heaped spoonfuls of cognitive dissonance - and you have someone who can see no reason why he would not be mentioned in the same breath as world class strength athletes and coaches.

All evidence on this forum suggests that he finds it difficult to understand why people - regardless of their superiority in any given sphere - would not take his expert opinion as gospel.

This is why Paul can spout forth criticism, in whatever manner he sees fit: and whomsoever he has deemed worthy of his critical gaze, should listen to his Solomon like wisdom and count themselves lucky to have been under his watchful eye.

It is also why anyone who disagrees with him is a hater, or a troll.

However, give him his due, he is a great grip strength guy: a reasonable carp angler: and, until I see otherwise, very sure footed on icy footpaths.
slimsimIcon...21-02-2019 @ 14:58 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
Where's that god-damn "like" button?!!!!!
PaulSavageIcon...21-02-2019 @ 15:06 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
slimsim said:
Apart from yourself which of Paul's client are currently world level competitors?
And not to negate your achievements but you're involved in things which are massively more niche than even mens strongman.
Obviously, you're going to have his back but Paul putting himself in that list more than hints at a fair degree of narcissism.

There was no list, those were the people in the conversation.

I have not attempted to coach anyone else to world class level yet but you cant just disregard Becca because it suits your argument haha This is a pointless conversation. Again if you or anybody else wants to think I'm a s**t coach that's awesome, doesn't change facts and it has no meaning to me.
PaulSavageIcon...21-02-2019 @ 15:15 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
danbaseley said:Paul puts himself in the mix of such esteemed company, because he has a long history of delusions of grandeur: many examples of which he has publically listed on this site.

Add in a healthy splash of the Dunning-Kruger effect, and several heaped spoonfuls of cognitive dissonance - and you have someone who can see no reason why he would not be mentioned in the same breath as world class strength athletes and coaches.

All evidence on this forum suggests that he finds it difficult to understand why people - regardless of their superiority in any given sphere - would not take his expert opinion as gospel.

This is why Paul can spout forth criticism, in whatever manner he sees fit: and whomsoever he has deemed worthy of his critical gaze, should listen to his Solomon like wisdom and count themselves lucky to have been under his watchful eye.

It is also why anyone who disagrees with him is a hater, or a troll.

However, give him his due, he is a great grip strength guy: a reasonable carp angler: and, until I see otherwise, very sure footed on icy footpaths.

Yes, i'm delusional and a terrible coach. I'm sure if you were coaching Becca she would be a 25 time world champion by now and not just 4 time (how s**te! in 2 years too!). Also she would be stronger than all the men in grip by now (twice as strong even), not just stronger than all the women. Honestly I think I should just give up, maybe wait another year or two till Becca wins worlds strongest woman drug free, but defo give up after that. I just wish I could get things right, any advice?
MikenetoIcon...21-02-2019 @ 16:07 
End of an era.
Member 4646, 1964 posts
Problem with your point is....you said Becca deadlifted 220kg and squatted 220kg as a teenager. So she was strong before she met you.
PaulSavageIcon...21-02-2019 @ 16:30 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 21.02.2019 @ 16:38 PM by PaulSavage
Mikeneto said:Problem with your point is....you said Becca deadlifted 220kg and squatted 220kg as a teenager. So she was strong before she met you.

Well she specifically trained powerlifting back then and thats not what i coach her in, its strongwoman an grip but she had a good coach back then also but that wasn't at all the case when I met her in terms of strength, she had a horrid back injury from rugby and hadn't done anything in 18 months. The back was an issue for a good year of me coaching her (she could maybe deadlift 80kg when I first started coaching her), she would be way stronger now otherwise (not that 220kg isn't an easy deadlift for her now). Not to mention the shoulder which is still an issue today.

There's also a huge difference from being strong and being a 4 time world champion / the strongest woman ever in one sport and looking to make it two soon. Not that strength is the only thing that matters, you also need endurance, speed, cardio, technique etc

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions