Member 3986, 10443 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Hahahaha

Here you go

Britain's strongest man 2019

Very good build up and felt amazing going in, did the intros and felt fired up

Event 1: log reps 150kg
Training has gone great for this and was confident of at least matching the world record with 8 reps, the wooden log sat nicely on the clean and the first few reps went up easily, had a couple of little wobbles which took me out of my rhythm and ended up failing the 7th clean which was extremely frustrating, finished on 6 reps which was joint 5th and a bad start!

Event 2: frame carry
400kg with straps, guys were saying the frame was unbalanced so I was a little worried about the pick up, I don't think it's unbalanced but I do think it's a fine margin as the handles inside are so long, I picked it up with the front just slightly dipped and didn't quite attack it with the worry of it hitting the floor and with last years yoke in the back of my mind. Picked up decent speed and finished in 10.7 seconds which I thought was a good time until guys started going sub 10. In hindsight I should have gone balls out and risked a mistake as I have the foot speed to be keeping up with everyone in the field. 5th I think which was frustrating.

Event 3: Deadlift
320kg reps on an axle, was the most worried about this event, pulled a max effort triple in the gym a couple of months ago and have been working on lighter volume since then, first rep flew up which I was happy with! Got 3 more clean reps out then hitched a 5th,didn't have a chance at a 6th really but had a go anyway. My PB on an oly bar is 320x4 so to get 5 with an axle I was pleased with. Unfortunately most of the pack got 6-9 so I was 11th which really is terrible, it is progressing though and my next block will be focussed on my pull.

Event 4: Loading medley
2 kegs 2 sandbags and a tire, sandbags were the new style and felt a little harder and heavier than last year. Mike Downey went out first and only managed 3 implements so I mistakenly thought finishing would be good. Kegs were steady then picked up a Sandbag in a row to my stomach instead of regripping which slowed me down but I thought would be the safe option, finished the tire just inside the limit with 58 seconds and most people preceded to go faster, need to work on picking up sandbags, missing some forearm bicep strength with those. Probably 7th on this, which put me at 7th overall going into stones.

Event 5: Stones
Usual drill, 100-180. Was out with Felix in this who was 8th so I had to stay in front of him but barring a miracle I couldn't catch Terry who was 5.5 points clear in 6th. I just went as fast as I could, first 3 stones neck and neck with Mark, managed to one motion the 160 which I was very happy with but probably slowed me down a little, lapped the 5th one as Felix was going ahead and managed to finish in 27 seconds which is a PB but I need to be down towards 20, 7th place on this but closer to the top guys than last year. Once I speed the one motion up on 160 I can go a good bit quicker.

Overall 7th place which is disappointing after a performance without any big mistakes but that's sport. I need to really improve my pulling strength that's what will put me up with the top guys I think and add some muscle mass as well, I was the lightest guy there which I don't think is a huge disadvantage but I could do with a few more kgs of lean mass which is tricky to add but I just have to be smart and make sure my diet is good. I have to say the show was brilliant and well done to Hix for the win, very composed and consistent performance throughout.
WILLSANIcon...28-01-2019 @ 21:08 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
well done mate. first time I have seen you compete live and I was really impressed. the strength in depth in the comp was huge - 7th in that crowd is nothing to be sniffed at!
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...28-01-2019 @ 21:22 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Nice write up Paul!
mark_f1Icon...29-01-2019 @ 00:07 
not actually strong
Member 5779, 811 posts
SQ 220, BP 150, DL 285
655.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
Well done mate, was a great line up and very few made mistakes. Definitely proved your class yet again.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...29-01-2019 @ 08:58 
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Good write up mate, and great to see you competing on a stage where you belong.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...29-01-2019 @ 09:05 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22044 posts
Well done Paul Happy
fatter_tomorrowIcon...29-01-2019 @ 14:49 
thinner after lockdown
Member 594, 4166 posts
SQ 100, BP 80, DL 100
280.0 kgs @ 120kgs Eq
Such fine margins at that level. awesome performance mate. what's the plan for competing next?
unit94Icon...29-01-2019 @ 21:48 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10443 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Thanks guys, need to be better though, I've had long enough being in that phase of just being there is an achievement

Trained yesterday but I won't log it it was nothing heavy

Trained today as well haha but I'll just start logging from tomorrow

Ermm plans unsure as of yet, will be doing a pl comp though
PaulSavageIcon...30-01-2019 @ 14:35 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 30.01.2019 @ 14:40 PM by PaulSavage
unit94 said:Thanks guys, need to be better though, I've had long enough being in that phase of just being there is an achievement

Trained yesterday but I won't log it it was nothing heavy

Trained today as well haha but I'll just start logging from tomorrow

Ermm plans unsure as of yet, will be doing a pl comp though

I always read your log and follow your training and there was 2 things I thought could be an issue that I feel was the case.

Firstly, you was training on a metal log and doing your pacing off that plus not holding your lockouts often enough. Basically, you were strong enough (and stronger than ever) in terms of your pressing muscles and your fitness was most likely better than everybody else, but your pace was too fast for your ability on the wooden log because its a bit more difficult and the balance can be off. That and how you were not holding your lockouts enough when practicing caused the wobbles etc you also look very tight overhead which obviously makes the lockout a lot more difficult, if you address that I think you would put up huge numbers.

The other thing was that you had lost the ability to grind reps out on the deadlift / didn't have the strength once your fast twitch fibres and speed burnt out. Your form looked f**king awesome and you were more powerful than ever but with that kind of weight (one everyone can lift its just a question of how many times) it comes down the ability to grind out a few more reps so I feel that was missing in your training.

Otherwise, sounds like it was just mental things rather than physical. You can't let what happens with the guy before you or what happened last year impact your event. All that matters is your own ability. You should have been confident in your fitness to finish the medley at a high pace and put your foot down and attack the frame because of your training and how it went really well (if your worried about the balance, do a pick before the start, that weight is really not heavy for you). You can't afford to be cautious going against those kind of guys, everyone can be within 1-2 seconds on the frame etc

Obviously not the placing you wanted but it was really little things and mental things you can easily fix and for sure you was physically stronger and better than ever / it definitely wasn't a bad performance just lot of good performances and high level stuff so little things get amplified in that company.

Hope you don't mind me chipping in, just giving my two cents dude.
KevC86Icon...30-01-2019 @ 18:35 
Member 5141, 4199 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
I always read your log and follow your training and there was 2 things I thought could be an issue that I feel was the case.
Firstly, you was training on a metal log and doing your pacing off that plus not holding your lockouts often enough. Basically, you were strong enough (and stronger than ever) in terms of your pressing muscles and your fitness was most likely better than everybody else, but your pace was too fast for your ability on the wooden log because its a bit more difficult and the balance can be off. That and how you were not holding your lockouts enough when practicing caused the wobbles etc you also look very tight overhead which obviously makes the lockout a lot more difficult, if you address that I think you would put up huge numbers.
The other thing was that you had lost the ability to grind reps out on the deadlift / didn't have the strength once your fast twitch fibres and speed burnt out. Your form looked f**king awesome and you were more powerful than ever but with that kind of weight (one everyone can lift its just a question of how many times) it comes down the ability to grind out a few more reps so I feel that was missing in your training.
Otherwise, sounds like it was just mental things rather than physical. You can't let what happens with the guy before you or what happened last year impact your event. All that matters is your own ability. You should have been confident in your fitness to finish the medley at a high pace and put your foot down and attack the frame because of your training and how it went really well (if your worried about the balance, do a pick before the start, that weight is really not heavy for you). You can't afford to be cautious going against those kind of guys, everyone can be within 1-2 seconds on the frame etc
Obviously not the placing you wanted but it was really little things and mental things you can easily fix and for sure you was physically stronger and better than ever / it definitely wasn't a bad performance just lot of good performances and high level stuff so little things get amplified in that company.

There is no part of this i do not love.
unit94Icon...31-01-2019 @ 00:42 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10443 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
PaulSavage said:

I disagree with most of this, it's a bit of a misconception that fast twitch fibres aren't used in slow movements, its not how it works, I had a bit of a wobble I think caused by a bad warm up with the walk outs, I failed a clean I didn't fail at lockout and Im not tight overhead, was a bit less loose than usual with no oly lifts or gpp but that wasn't an issue. I need to go off my own pace that is right. Oh the Deadlift was a 2 rep PB from 8 weeks earlier so my plan worked, I didn't grind out Deadlift reps in training because it usually doesn't help my deadlift. I wasn't strong enough to do 6 reps it wasn't a specific weakness.

12345678910 ... 274275276 ... 345346347348349350351352353354355

You are here: HomeForumTraining JournalsErmm here goes
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions