Users viewing topic: & 3 Guests

JohnGymIcon...28-08-2017 @ 17:38 
Hamstrings feel activated.
Member 1107, 6964 posts
SQ 220, BP 152.5, DL 252.5
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Saw this on Facebook. Decent.

'Explained so everyone will understand what really happened last night:

Now to all of you non boxing folks that don't know what happened last night but feel the need to tell those involved in the sport that Floyd is a bum. Here it is from the mouth of a VETERAN PRO BOXER Allan Green

Allan Green
1 hr ·

Ok, about the fight. For people who dont understand boxing. What you saw was a 29 year old fighter who outweighed a 40 year old who hadnt fought in 2 years by about 20 pounds get walked through. What Floyd did was simple, he walked him down with a high guard, barley through any punches the first 3 rounds. He played chess with the young man. Connor didnt know any better and just kept throwing punches at Floyds guard which cast the illusion that he was doing well. Granted he landed some but guess what? He was never in the fight, the way Floyd did him was the way most pros spar with amateurs. We play with them, let them do their thing, smile at them (which Floyd did) and keep walking them down because we already know where its going. Connor just kept throwing punches and Floyd kept coming forward. Around the 5th round it turned into Connor throwing punches to keep Floyd off of him as opposed to initiating offense. As any boxer knows, when you start doing that its the beginning of the end. Connor didnt run out of gas, thats not how it works. Floyd ran him out of gas, Floyd drained him. By walking him down, touching his body and blocking his punches. He wanted to show Connor that he didnt have power by boxing standards. He got drained, he couldnt hurt Floyd, and eventually got walked through like wet paper. But people say Floyd was supposed to be the runner. Connor was the only one trying to stay away from Floyd. The pressure was too much for him. Thats why everytime Floyd got close he would grab Floyd hold on for dear life like a kid hugging his father. He had moments because Floyd allowed him to but ultimately ended up getting mauled. Battered helplessly on the ropes. Again, he didnt run out of gas. Floyd drained him. We're all grown here, so lets not start the retarded "Floyd should come to the Octagon now" stop. Floyd is 40, was retired, Connor talked himself into an ass whoopin and he got it. No one was saying Toney should fight Couture in a boxing match. Hell, Ray Mercer knocked out Tim Sylvia in the Octagon and Ray Mercer has loss in the Octagon. Its combat sports, it happens. So if you thought Connor had a chance of winning, slap yourself right now and you arent allowed to talk about fighting for at least a month. This is chess not checkers.'
JaybukIcon...28-08-2017 @ 18:06 
Member 6130, 110 posts
PaulSavage said:You don't carry someone by getting hit 111 times. Floyd landed 50% of power punches because he threw them when conor was extremely tired.

How many of those punches had one iota of an effect on mayweather? If he had wanted too he could have come out first round An put it straight on him An put him away inside 4 max but that's never been his style he let him pitty pat behind a nice high guard till his extremely poor conditioning by boxing standards left him
There for the taking
KevC86Icon...28-08-2017 @ 18:15 
Member 5141, 4199 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
JohnGym said:Saw this on Facebook. Decent.

'Explained so everyone will understand what really happened last night:

Now to all of you non boxing folks that don't know what happened last night but feel the need to tell those involved in the sport that Floyd is a bum. Here it is from the mouth of a VETERAN PRO BOXER Allan Green

Allan Green
1 hr ·

Ok, about the fight. For people who dont understand boxing. What you saw was a 29 year old fighter who outweighed a 40 year old who hadnt fought in 2 years by about 20 pounds get walked through. What Floyd did was simple, he walked him down with a high guard, barley through any punches the first 3 rounds. He played chess with the young man. Connor didnt know any better and just kept throwing punches at Floyds guard which cast the illusion that he was doing well. Granted he landed some but guess what? He was never in the fight, the way Floyd did him was the way most pros spar with amateurs. We play with them, let them do their thing, smile at them (which Floyd did) and keep walking them down because we already know where its going. Connor just kept throwing punches and Floyd kept coming forward. Around the 5th round it turned into Connor throwing punches to keep Floyd off of him as opposed to initiating offense. As any boxer knows, when you start doing that its the beginning of the end. Connor didnt run out of gas, thats not how it works. Floyd ran him out of gas, Floyd drained him. By walking him down, touching his body and blocking his punches. He wanted to show Connor that he didnt have power by boxing standards. He got drained, he couldnt hurt Floyd, and eventually got walked through like wet paper. But people say Floyd was supposed to be the runner. Connor was the only one trying to stay away from Floyd. The pressure was too much for him. Thats why everytime Floyd got close he would grab Floyd hold on for dear life like a kid hugging his father. He had moments because Floyd allowed him to but ultimately ended up getting mauled. Battered helplessly on the ropes. Again, he didnt run out of gas. Floyd drained him. We're all grown here, so lets not start the retarded "Floyd should come to the Octagon now" stop. Floyd is 40, was retired, Connor talked himself into an ass whoopin and he got it. No one was saying Toney should fight Couture in a boxing match. Hell, Ray Mercer knocked out Tim Sylvia in the Octagon and Ray Mercer has loss in the Octagon. Its combat sports, it happens. So if you thought Connor had a chance of winning, slap yourself right now and you arent allowed to talk about fighting for at least a month. This is chess not checkers.'

Fairly good explanation of what happened.
93hopkinsonrIcon...28-08-2017 @ 18:30 
Mr.Potato deadlift
Member 2675, 4630 posts
SQ 300, BP 200, DL 300
800.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
In my opinion Mcgregor did quite well. He landed a few decent punches (the uppercut and the body shot) which probably impressed Mayweather. However he bit off more than he could chew. To make your pro debut, in fact, boxing debut against the most skilled defensive boxer we've ever seen was brash, but worth it for the pay cheque.

I don't think Mayweather could have ended it at any point, I think that's too much up Mayweather's arse, although I believe he was always in control and knew the outcome. He knew how to make Mcgregor gas before piling on the pressure. A true lesson in boxing. But credit to mcgregor as he was tough and took some beating.

I'm a big fan of Mcgregor and hope he returns to the cage and defends his title. You can't knock a guy for believing in himself but he'll have plenty more success in the cage as opposed to the ring.

Happy retirement to mayweather
BoarIcon...28-08-2017 @ 18:40 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25557 posts
Administrator
I agree 100% with Allan Green - it must have been the easiest night for Floyd since he cant remember.

I had a fiver on Conor , but all I wanted was it not be a boring exhibition, which I think it turned out to be, I have no regrets paying 20 notes as I enjoyed the overall event.

I have very limited boxing experience but I did 'spar' with a pro and he was never, not for 1 second , concerned with my punches , he only lightly tapped me when I made a mistake

secretly I think conor must feel a bit embarrassed, as he must know Floyd wasn't really trying.
GordyIcon...28-08-2017 @ 18:46 
Member 5418, 383 posts
Post Edited: 16.08.2018 @ 11:18 AM by Gordy
AdamTIcon...28-08-2017 @ 19:34 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
Boar said:I agree 100% with Allan Green - it must have been the easiest night for Floyd since he cant remember.

I had a fiver on Conor , but all I wanted was it not be a boring exhibition, which I think it turned out to be, I have no regrets paying 20 notes as I enjoyed the overall event.

I have very limited boxing experience but I did 'spar' with a pro and he was never, not for 1 second , concerned with my punches , he only lightly tapped me when I made a mistake

secretly I think conor must feel a bit embarrassed, as he must know Floyd wasn't really trying.

I think you will find that Allan agrees with Lord Boar lol
unit94Icon...28-08-2017 @ 23:38 
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10443 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
Mcgregor caught Mayweather with a few big shots, won the first few rounds and is getting slagged off for getting beaten by one of the all time greats in his first boxing match. I cant understand it.
KevC86Icon...29-08-2017 @ 05:58 
Member 5141, 4199 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
unit94 said:Mcgregor caught Mayweather with a few big shots, won the first few rounds and is getting slagged off for getting beaten by one of the all time greats in his first boxing match. I cant understand it.

He isnt being slagged off, people are just pointing out he was never in the fight.
PaulSavageIcon...29-08-2017 @ 07:03 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
PaulSavageIcon...29-08-2017 @ 07:11 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Post Edited: 29.08.2017 @ 07:23 AM by PaulSavage
KevC86 said:
He isnt being slagged off, people are just pointing out he was never in the fight.

The above says otherwise. He didn't take those body shots, uppercuts, jabs and straight lefts 'to make it look more competitive' he was hurt multiple times to the body and folded over by one with payroll ref saving him. You can clearly see him trying to block and dodge and not being able to. He was losing the fight until conor tired, plain and simple. With the experience he gained/more conditioning conor would win rematch.
yiannisIcon...29-08-2017 @ 07:16 
'Laurel'
Member 4532, 484 posts
SQ 260, BP 175, DL 270
705.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
unit94 said:Mcgregor caught Mayweather with a few big shots, won the first few rounds and is getting slagged off for getting beaten by one of the all time greats in his first boxing match. I cant understand it.

Mayweather let him win the first few rounds! He has not been able to prepare for the fight like others as he has had no boxing footage of connor to study so he used the first 2 rounds to work him out! He then won the remaining rounds. Fair play to connor he came out and gave his all but seemed to have no power or zip on any of his shots.
The real winner imo was boxing as it's reputation would have been in shatters if a ufc fighter beat the greatest of this gen.
I hope connor goes back to the ufc and dominates the sport as sport needs characters like him but in all honesty i think he would struggle winning a British or even English belt.
I do think if it was a street fight connor would win hands down but boxing is an art and about timeing and movement and mayweather is the GOAT at both of them.
yiannisIcon...29-08-2017 @ 07:24 
'Laurel'
Member 4532, 484 posts
SQ 260, BP 175, DL 270
705.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 29.08.2017 @ 07:25 AM by yiannis
PaulSavage said:
The above says otherwise. He didn't take those body shots and uppercuts 'to make it look more competitive' he was hurt multiple times to the body and folded over by one with payroll ref saving him. You can clearly see him trying to block and dodge and not being able to. He was losing the fight until conor tired, plain and simple. With the experience he gained/more conditioning conor would win rematch.

So your saying that the all blacks play barca once at the new camp they would win the 2nd game due to experience?

Connor is a GREAT fighter but NOT a boxer like the all blacks aint a football team. Just because you strike in UFC dose not mean anything as its a different kind of striking. Connor would be the first to admit that now and has achieved a great achievement in what he has done but he just isn't a boxer.
PaulSavageIcon...29-08-2017 @ 07:28 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
yiannis said:
So your saying that the all blacks play barca once at the new camp they would win the 2nd game due to experience?

Connor is a GREAT fighter but NOT a boxer like the all blacks aint a football team. Just because you strike in UFC dose not mean anything as its a different kind of striking. Connor would be the first to admit that now and has achieved a great achievement in what he has done but he just isn't a boxer.

He's said exactly the same as me after the fight / scored it the same as me.
yiannisIcon...29-08-2017 @ 07:34 
'Laurel'
Member 4532, 484 posts
SQ 260, BP 175, DL 270
705.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 29.08.2017 @ 07:40 AM by yiannis
PaulSavage said:
He's said exactly the same as me after the fight / scored it the same as me.

When he had a bottle of whisky in his had and was still on a high after the occasion?
He will look back and know he isn't a boxer!
He did brilliantly and i cant praise him enough for going out there and actually surprising people and making alot of new fans but he was out of his depth. I will admit i think the first round he shocked mayweather into thinking he has a fight on and his stats where outstanding for a debut against the GOAT but unfortunately he inst a boxer!
I dont want to come across like some argumentative prick btw just saying he isnt a boxer

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions