Who's Online - 2 members and 336 guests

Drug free and disillusionment

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

scruffmcbuffIcon...07-06-2017 @ 20:32 
Lovely ass Congrats.
Member 5958, 2315 posts
SQ 280, BP 170, DL 300
750.0 kgs @ 138kgs UnEq
matthewvc said:prison for taking PEDs in a sport hardly anyone outside of it cares about and will this custodial extend to other forms of cheating?
being found using 3m wraps instead of 2.5m? double ply briefs instead on single ply? stuffing s**t under bench shirt a la dave hoff and so on?

the prison population is high enough and filled with enough people who shouldn't be there as it is
without criminalising more based on taking an arbitrary and forever changing set of substances WADA deem as 'bad'.
BDPFA has a lifetime ban in place for cheaters which is surely enough.

(note: i come from the polar opposite of opinion about drugs having used and enjoyed all manner of class-A (mainly psychedelics) and want minimal legislation not even more around anything people choose to put in their body)

I got alot of time for you Mat. A very enjoyable post.

Drugs cheats should be banned of course. Prison is way over the top.
AMH_PowerIcon...07-06-2017 @ 21:03 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
matthewvc said:prison for taking PEDs in a sport hardly anyone outside of it cares about and will this custodial extend to other forms of cheating?
being found using 3m wraps instead of 2.5m? double ply briefs instead on single ply? stuffing s**t under bench shirt a la dave hoff and so on?

the prison population is high enough and filled with enough people who shouldn't be there as it is
without criminalising more based on taking an arbitrary and forever changing set of substances WADA deem as 'bad'.
BDPFA has a lifetime ban in place for cheaters which is surely enough.

(note: i come from the polar opposite of opinion about drugs having used and enjoyed all manner of class-A (mainly psychedelics) and want minimal legislation not even more around anything people choose to put in their body)

I get this, I do. But it's intentionally cheating; that's the difference. Drugs are what they are, and are a part of some sports. But until there is an absolute zero tolerance view on it in drug free sport, it won't be drug free.

Average joe will risk a ban, but not prison. Fraud is fraud. Or, in its place a lawfully enforceable fine. If I can be made to pay for a parking ticket as part of a contract I never signed, I'm sure these cheating low lifes can be made to pay if they do sign on competition entry.
slow_lift_joeIcon...07-06-2017 @ 21:41 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
Lets get a bit sensible here on prison for cheating powerlifters.

We got dick heads driving into people and killing people on bridges and in the streets.Please keep the prison for these and other criminal acts. (Personally I would not bother with prison with these fruit cakes but that is a different debate for another day and another site and the police seem good marksmen anyway)

Drugs is cheating I agree.

However a mistake, a misguided judgement by a human being in sport at a certain level. Maybe a warning or guidance is required.

At world level or national level lifetime ban.

This is hardly Lance Armstrong or Ben Johnson stuff is it. This is a minor sport compared to lucrative sports and lets be blunt look at bodybuilding how many of them swear they are not on the juice, strength sport is very shady when it comes to drug use, and there is bull s**t. Even in MMA they juice I am informed.

I get the pride part and understand if a competitor is second to a cheat it must be soul destroying but not prison. Lifetime ban maybe if they have previous.

Everyone should get a second chance but not child killers or murderous bas***ds.
Funky_monkeyIcon...07-06-2017 @ 22:44 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5121 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq

I once wore boxer shorts at a GBPF comp...
JohnGymIcon...07-06-2017 @ 22:54 
Hamstrings feel activated.
Member 1107, 6964 posts
SQ 220, BP 152.5, DL 252.5
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Funky_monkey said:

Haha...the most broken rule in Powerlifting!
CAJIcon...08-06-2017 @ 00:01 
I recommend the track - Slut Machine
Member 6043, 955 posts
SQ 350, BP 195, DL 350
895.0 kgs @ 150kgs UnEq
JohnGym said:
Haha...the most broken rule in Powerlifting!

Dirty f**king cheaters!

First you wear boxers instead of briefs then you wear a tshirt with sleeves that touch your elbows. Next thing you know your stacking 11 different compounds and claiming natty.

Just say no kids, boxers are a gateway garment!
danbaseleyIcon...08-06-2017 @ 07:28 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4479 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
milsy said:
I got married earlier in the year and now I want to start a family. My career is really starting to take off and add to I recently bought another property so spend most of my time working on that.

It sounds like it was the best thing that ever happened to you!!!

Happy
milsyIcon...08-06-2017 @ 07:51 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 08.06.2017 @ 08:38 AM by milsy
danbaseley said:
It sounds like it was the best thing that ever happened to you!!!
Happy

You could say that!

It certainly made me realize that there is far more to life than lifting weights
IainKendrickIcon...08-06-2017 @ 18:11 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Funky_monkey said:

Motherrrrr fuccckkkkerrrrrr!

Game over man, game over.
scruffmcbuffIcon...08-06-2017 @ 18:38 
Lovely ass Congrats.
Member 5958, 2315 posts
SQ 280, BP 170, DL 300
750.0 kgs @ 138kgs UnEq
I know a guy who had a pair of briefs sewn in his singlet and competed raw.

Firstly im not a grass so i said nothing.
Secondly i knew he would still do s**t. And he did. He got out totalled by a junior.

It was f**king BRILLIANT.
jediIcon...11-06-2017 @ 18:47 
Member 4002, 60 posts
SQ 250, BP 165, DL 272.5
687.5 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.06.2017 @ 10:24 AM by jedi
Just to throw something in to this from a slightly different angle: I'm surely not the only one here who is lifetime drug-free but lifts in a tested fed?
EDIT: I meant natural but lifts in an Untested fed -sorry for the typo
As I see it there are a few advantages to lifting in a tested fed
1. the GBPF didn't answer a single one of my emails ...the GPC did. I got an email answer same day and had paid for a membership and a comp fee half an hour after that.
2. I'm not a big 90 (last comp I weighed in at 86.8) so the tested feds 90kg class suits me better than having to cut or (god forbid) do cardio to make 83. I would feel like a very pathetic specimen in the 93kg class.
3. I don't have to walk my squats out ...and I can wear knee wraps and still claim to be RAW (with wraps)

There are a few downsides as well:
1. the 24hr weigh-in is a b@llache meaning hotel stays etc
2. I look a bit puny when going 't-shirts off' for deadlifts

On balance, I'm happy where I am.
I tend to lift to meet my own targets as opposed to having a fierce rival I am convinced is only beating me because he's on the sauce. I have a few friends who currently lift in the GBPF and associations with it that go back to the late 1980s and I would have to say that the 'conversation of suspicion' seems to be an awful pre-occupation. By which, I mean that anyone who does well/better than person x ...tends to become the focus of "I don't know how he's made those sorts of gains" etc etc type moaning.
I can't really be bothered with all that.
Then again, I'm competing in Masters2 so I daresay it's not as much of an issue as it would be if I competed in the open class. Although, having said that, I honestly don't think it would make too big of a difference even then. It really is about fulfilling what I see as my own potential as anything.
For instance, I recently did a comp in the BPU and managed to break some British Records (for M2) in the process. This was a nice boost to the old flagging ego and just for a second I got all carried away and whistfully wondered if I was some sort of drug-free world leader if I was to switch back to the GBPF. It didn't take me long watching absolute beastmode M2 types squatting 300kg at last year's GBPF worlds to scotch that idea. I didn't immediately assume that they must be on the roids and good at beating tests to be that much better than I am.
I'm guessing they are probably that much better than I am.
I still think I can go 230-160-250 for a comp total of 640. This is probably optimistic but if I did pull it off I would feel as much, if not more, satisfaction in the fact that this is about the absolute maximum I think I am physically capable of ...than I would be if it won me 'something'.
I think the point of this post is to tackle the disillusionment angle of the original poster. I've had a pretty full sporting career and reached a decent standard in athletics, cricket and rugby. Along the way I've seen a commonality between people who compete for their enjoyment of the game/to fulfil their own potential and others who see the winning as far more important than the taking part. I honestly feel that the former has much more to recommend it than the latter.
VinnyJonesIcon...16-06-2017 @ 11:53 
Who said it's hardcore?
Member 3896, 847 posts
SQ 265, BP 150, DL 320
735.0 kgs @ 128kgs UnEq
slow_lift_joe said:What I do find interesting is Louie Simmons states quite clearly he has no problem with steroids in powerlifting. I like Louie but I do not agree with him on this point. But he has forgotten more about powerlifting than I know, so who am I compared to the elite he has trained, I would like a debate with him on this very point.

I look at this way I want to be strong naturally so I do it natural. Using PED's your true strength is not true strength but a false gauge and a decline in your true strength will follow when you are not on the juice.

Slow Lift Joe.

You're contradicting yourself completely: "a decline in your true strength will follow when you are not on the juice"

You wrote before true strength is not built with steroids. So how can your true strength fall when you stop taking? Doesn't make sense.

But I'll debate you. Steroids are simply hormones. That's it. Nothing magic. Everyone produces them to some degree naturally. When you get older you product less. Simple aging effect. So your true strength is never ever fully realised because of Father Time/Mother Nature.

With steroids you can put a pause on the natural effect of aging and there are significant health benefits for men over the age of 40 at LEAST being on a TRT dose of testosterone (lower risk of heart attack, improved lipids and HDL/LDL etc).

Why would Louie have an issue with steroids in powerlifting anyway considering he has used them for around 30 years?
EvisIcon...16-06-2017 @ 13:13 
Member 2202, 346 posts
SQ 282.5, BP 220, DL 320.5
823.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
A lot of people struggle to realise how much talent will vary for the ability to get strong and muscular. One example of the level of variance in human genetics that is easier to understand is height. Some humans grow to be only 145 centimetres and some grow to be a full 100cm taller than that. There is nothing the shorter guy can do to get close to the tall guy height-wise, and that is the harsh reality of strength sports as well.

Now obviously, PEDs can help quite a bit, but just because someone is a lot stronger than you they arent nescessarily using them. The best drug free powerlifters are going to be so good that an average person couldnt reach that level even with drugs.
BoarIcon...16-06-2017 @ 13:39 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25558 posts
Administrator
I was thinking, should I just go 'on' full time and enjoy training harder ,training more frequently ... recovering faster , being more muscular... more confidence

or stay natural and slowly grind out the sessions , be more tired and carry more body fat but still get stronger

I chose the latter

I guess that people who are 'on' full time just want to believe staying on for life is not risky as that's the path they have to go down due to the choices they make in their 20's+30's (nothing aimed at vinny directly)

who needs more risk that is already out there ? and who would take a TRT dose anyways ? I don't know what it is but I'm guessing it would be the same as having a 1mm/250mg jab of sust every 3 weeks ?

a couple of years ago I had a blood test and the doc said my test levels were normal

**please note, I'm not TRT expert and I would think under the guidance of a doctor/clinic it would be fairly safe , but not without risk
rian1987Icon...16-06-2017 @ 13:49 
not stating facts.
Member 3100, 502 posts
AMH_Power said:
I get this, I do. But it's intentionally cheating; that's the difference. Drugs are what they are, and are a part of some sports. But until there is an absolute zero tolerance view on it in drug free sport, it won't be drug free.
Average joe will risk a ban, but not prison. Fraud is fraud. Or, in its place a lawfully enforceable fine. If I can be made to pay for a parking ticket as part of a contract I never signed, I'm sure these cheating low lifes can be made to pay if they do sign on competition entry.

Prison? Are you taking the piss? Imagine what itd cost the tax payer to pass a law like that? All for a minority sport..

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions