Who's Online - 1 member and 247 guests

GBPF .. lifting in other feds

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

IainKendrickIcon...17-04-2017 @ 12:49 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
unit94 said:I reckon powerlifting would be bigger if their was still just one governing body like most sports.

It would probably. I like the idea of two feds though. Tested and none. It does mean there is an avenue for people whom want to take gear and means one less reason to be a sad f**ker and cheat in a tested fed for a plastic trophy in a niche sport Happy
scruffmcbuffIcon...17-04-2017 @ 13:17 
Lovely ass Congrats.
Member 5958, 2315 posts
SQ 280, BP 170, DL 300
750.0 kgs @ 138kgs UnEq
IainKendrick said:
unit94 said:I reckon powerlifting would be bigger if their was still just one governing body like most sports.

It would probably. I like the idea of two feds though. Tested and none. It does mean there is an avenue for people whom want to take gear and means one less reason to be a sad f**ker and cheat in a tested fed for a plastic trophy in a niche sport Happy

I dont think there will be a single lifter who would disagree with the above.
kennybabyIcon...17-04-2017 @ 13:58 
Member 2027, 125 posts
SQ 175, BP 120, DL 250
545.0 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.04.2017 @ 14:05 PM by kennybaby
scruffmcbuff said:
I dont think there will be a single lifter who would disagree with the above.

The set up of the BPU / ABPU is like this tested and non tested at same meets.

Onto this subject of not lifting at comp with banned lifters. I'm entered at Rotherham on 28th May.. all I know is i'm entered I don't know who else is, I will get flight details close in but I will not be looking at 80 lifters details and cross referencing stuff.. imo .. I don't really care who else is there especially if they're not tested and i don't care whether they've been roggered by 3 cistetician monks with a cucumber the night before, I find the link between someone who is lifetime drug free and someone at a comp they might not even meet or know a bit divisive to say the least. A bit of passing the buck springs to mind and implication by tenuous association doesn't seem acceptable imo ... get the testing sorted in house and stop cheats this way not this sort if nonsense ...

The reason I'm considering lifting in the gbpf .. is I'm fed up with stupid comments mainly from university lifters like
"doesn't count .. not on IPF approved bar, etc etc .. .' . the m2 deadlift 83kg is 250kg if I lift in there I will be paying that a visit.. the commonwealth is 262.5 which is also in range ...
kennybabyIcon...17-04-2017 @ 14:10 
Member 2027, 125 posts
SQ 175, BP 120, DL 250
545.0 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.04.2017 @ 14:11 PM by kennybaby
FAT_SAM said:Garbage like this stops powerlifting from growing.

I lift in a untested fed, and probably as many as 70% of the lifters are not on anything at all.

ABPU is a tested fed anyway.

I think 70% drug free in an untested fed is highly unlikely ... It's going to be significantly less than that. Maybe in a tested fed it would be 70% drug free .. lol

Or say in a fed with both tested and untested the overall would be 70% .. but not in a straight untested fed
RickIcon...17-04-2017 @ 15:28 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
A ban ought to be a punishment, or it's no deterrent; the athlete is being banned for cheating, after all. Association with banned athletes isn't allowed, because that's part of their punishment. This is common across pretty much all sports; it's just that this is basically the only one where there are largish alternative organisations that allow cheats to continue competing.

(Note: I am not saying all untested lifters are cheats - and I do not mean that. Using drugs isn't cheating in places where they're not banned, of course.)
umpalumpalifterIcon...17-04-2017 @ 16:56 
Member 5836, 366 posts
SQ 220, BP 137.5, DL 235
592.5 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Rick said:A ban ought to be a punishment, or it's no deterrent; the athlete is being banned for cheating, after all. Association with banned athletes isn't allowed, because that's part of their punishment. This is common across pretty much all sports; it's just that this is basically the only one where there are largish alternative organisations that allow cheats to continue competing.

(Note: I am not saying all untested lifters are cheats - and I do not mean that. Using drugs isn't cheating in places where they're not banned, of course.)

Think that's pretty much the point of the ruling - punishment to limit those who have cheated on competition options. Same as not being coached or go to seminars, trying to limit someone cheating but still prospering in the sport but in powerlifting (bodybuilding as well) there's more than one competitive option.

If it was to be weightlifting your competitive options would be severely limited
kennybabyIcon...17-04-2017 @ 18:28 
Member 2027, 125 posts
SQ 175, BP 120, DL 250
545.0 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.04.2017 @ 18:30 PM by kennybaby
Rick said:A ban ought to be a punishment, or it's no deterrent; the athlete is being banned for cheating, after all. Association with banned athletes isn't allowed, because that's part of their punishment. This is common across pretty much all sports; it's just that this is basically the only one where there are largish alternative organisations that allow cheats to continue competing.

Just lifetime ban anyone caught taking drugs in a tested fed from all tested feds .. simple ... guilt by tenuous association is idiotic and pretty much unworkable .. you happened to be in the bog at a meet where Mr big was lifting and he's banned... target the chests and remove them it's not rocket science and it sends a message loud and clear.. and have a cross fed agreement on these bans ... not 6 months a slap on the wrist and back getting them caught is hard enough with limited resources once caught ban for life
FAT_SAMIcon...17-04-2017 @ 18:38 
more like 'FAT TROLL'
Member 984, 6331 posts
SQ 420, BP 260, DL 335
1015.0 kgs @ 165kgs UnEq
Cheetahs never prosper - Zazu
kennybabyIcon...17-04-2017 @ 18:42 
Member 2027, 125 posts
SQ 175, BP 120, DL 250
545.0 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
FAT_SAM said:Cheetahs never prosper - Zazu

Lol ...
RickIcon...17-04-2017 @ 20:16 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
kennybaby said:
Just lifetime ban anyone caught taking drugs in a tested fed from all tested feds .. simple ... guilt by tenuous association is idiotic and pretty much unworkable .. you happened to be in the bog at a meet where Mr big was lifting and he's banned... target the chests and remove them it's not rocket science and it sends a message loud and clear.. and have a cross fed agreement on these bans ... not 6 months a slap on the wrist and back getting them caught is hard enough with limited resources once caught ban for life

Well, as I understand it the IPF honour the outcome of all WADA-approved testing, like any other sport's governing body. Most of the other powerlifting organisations choose not to test or enforce to that standard, unfortunately. It is expensive.
kennybabyIcon...17-04-2017 @ 22:02 
Member 2027, 125 posts
SQ 175, BP 120, DL 250
545.0 kgs @ 88kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.04.2017 @ 22:06 PM by kennybaby
As I understand it the BDFPA testing is more riogourous and incurs a lifetime ban ... that Fed doesn't appeal to me because I need at least knee sleeves on squat now or I would consider it but I think that lifting elsewhere incurs an immediate stop on lifting in that fed. the ABPU uses targeted testing for PEDs specifically and also hands out a lifetime ban from tested side. 3 strikes and your out is insufficient punishment in the gbpf when non tested options are out there. They need to stop messing about given there understanding of how powerlifting works and lifetime ban not go into this association nonsense which is idiotic especially in powerlifting where there are non tested federations unlike many other sports .. because it's hard to catch drug cheats even with Olympic games level testing let alone the 100 tests or so that I looked at in the 2016 testing schedule earlier, less the ones done on the same guys the gbpf did last year which resulted in 8 banned by the looks of it and all in comp tests ... which is over 8% in real terms and tbh pretty pi$$ poor imo I'm no expert about these things but that's a pretty high number given folk know when the tests are and know what they're on and how long it should take to clear. Wada IMO is a joke and when you look at sports with big carryover from drugs like oly lifting, cycling sprinting etc they're nowhere near in control of it ...
DrDIcon...17-04-2017 @ 23:26 
#IStandByMillsy
Member 4287, 2614 posts
SQ 300, BP 310, DL 250
860.0 kgs @ 120kgs Eq
kennybaby said:As I understand it the BDFPA testing is more riogourous and incurs a lifetime ban ... that Fed doesn't appeal to me because I need at least knee sleeves on squat now or I would consider it but I think that lifting elsewhere incurs an immediate stop on lifting in that fed. the ABPU uses targeted testing for PEDs specifically and also hands out a lifetime ban from tested side. 3 strikes and your out is insufficient punishment in the gbpf when non tested options are out there. They need to stop messing about given there understanding of how powerlifting works and lifetime ban not go into this association nonsense which is idiotic especially in powerlifting where there are non tested federations unlike many other sports .. because it's hard to catch drug cheats even with Olympic games level testing let alone the 100 tests or so that I looked at in the 2016 testing schedule earlier, less the ones done on the same guys the gbpf did last year which resulted in 8 banned by the looks of it and all in comp tests ... which is over 8% in real terms and tbh pretty pi$$ poor imo I'm no expert about these things but that's a pretty high number given folk know when the tests are and know what they're on and how long it should take to clear. Wada IMO is a joke and when you look at sports with big carryover from drugs like oly lifting, cycling sprinting etc they're nowhere near in control of it ...

Iain K is right wrt rules.

BDFPA may test more, I dont follow the detailed statistics, but the tests arent any more rigorous. Less, technically (could be argued), as they are not collected by an indepedent person, as with abpu. Only gbpf use full wada code and indepdent colection. This costs more. So pros and cons both ways.

IPF/ british powerlifting follow wada regs whether you like it or not. Which means 4 yr ban for most major test failures. If you dont like it write to wada or Gaston.

ABPU and the feberation formerly known as gbpf do targetted testing, and some regions of gbpf do testing of non lifters at comps. Not seen any of that at abpu but might happen, or hears of much proper ooct generally. No idea what happens in bdfpa.

At sub international level it doesnt make much different abpu / gbpf wise bit does if you are selected for british team (afaik) so allan collins cup id have though would be ok. Keep under radar and no one is likely to know or care.

Currently banned lifters are listed on the web so you should run through them for the comp to be safe. If not, its your choice.

Abpu comps are great fun and id expect the depth of lifters there to grow over the next couple of years. Gbpf currently has the greatest depth but comps are run quite differently. Some prefer. Some dont.

End of the day lift where you feel happiest and enjoy most. Ignore what others think. Very few are making a career from it. Its a hobby for most. So whether its an ipf spec bar or deadlift bar if matters f**k all. Its about being happy and personal progression for 99% of lifters.

All that really matter are all time rankings anyway Tongue

Hope this makes sense and isnt too blunt Grin

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions