REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 141 guests

Wanting advice from anyone who has had extended time off from lifting..

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

CAJIconWanting advice from anyone who has had extended time off from lifting..06-09-2016 @ 02:03 
I recommend the track - Slut Machine
Member 6043, 955 posts
SQ 350, BP 195, DL 350
895.0 kgs @ 150kgs UnEq
Talking like 6 months to a year, perhaps you maybe stopped all together.

Maybe it was health reasons, pursuing a different sport, time needed for other things in life, maybe you just got bored..

I'm interested to know how you coped.
How did you fill the void.
How did it effect you mentally (losing size/strength)
Are you glad you took time off or do you regret doing so.
Could you have done anything different?
For those who came back to lifting after a large amount of time off how long did it take to get back into it.

It is something I am considering, I did write an essay as to why but figured the threads estrogen levels would probably give most people gyno just reading it.
danbaseleyIcon...06-09-2016 @ 06:54 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4468 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
I would say don't commit yourself to a life of sedentary behaviour.

Why not simply go to the gym three times a week and do some cardio in addition to lifting moderate weights.

There are many people who partake in football, rugby, netball, judo, etc. who also go to the gym 2-to-3 times a week.

Also, there are plenty of people who look in great shape - who train several days a week; but do so for aesthetic and/or health reasons, rather than chasing numbers on a bar.

Mark Clegg once wrote on here something along the lines of "in the grand scheme of things, no one is watching - and no one cares".

If you don't want to chase numbers; then don't.
Funky_monkeyIcon...06-09-2016 @ 07:34 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5120 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
I recently had 4 months off. I spent my time outdoors in the fresh air, but still got to lift heavy sacks (50kg) every day. Also did farm work, both animals and agriculture. I did bodyweight squats twice to three times a week after quads started to atrophy. Did a bit of manual labour.

Don't know what it would be like in the sedentary UK.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...06-09-2016 @ 07:55 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22018 posts
Is boredom the main factor here?

How about ditching the powerlifts for a while and playing around with some other lifts - zerchers, strict press, one arm strict DB, pin press, double overhand Fat Gripz....? Could be fun Happy
josh_ainsIcon...06-09-2016 @ 08:13 
Member 786, 2077 posts
SQ 262, BP 155, DL 300
717.0 kgs @ 122kgs UnEq
CAJ said:Talking like 6 months to a year, perhaps you maybe stopped all together.

Maybe it was health reasons, pursuing a different sport, time needed for other things in life, maybe you just got bored..

I'm interested to know how you coped.
How did you fill the void.
How did it effect you mentally (losing size/strength)
Are you glad you took time off or do you regret doing so.
Could you have done anything different?
For those who came back to lifting after a large amount of time off how long did it take to get back into it.

It is something I am considering, I did write an essay as to why but figured the threads estrogen levels would probably give most people gyno just reading it.

started betting lol then stopped after a dreadful series of results haha inplay stuff
FazcIcon...06-09-2016 @ 08:58 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Post Edited: 06.09.2016 @ 09:01 AM by Fazc
I did, I was travelling abroad so I didn't really think about it.

Health reasons was the first thing you stated, is it health reasons for you?

If you don't want to do it, don't do it. But firstly I'd say reevaluate what got you into the gym in the first place and touch base with that. I think that's a valuable mental exercise for everyone to do every year or so. Get back in touch with your original passion and see if your training is actually on track.
JohnIcon...06-09-2016 @ 09:00 
#biggef
Member 5263, 3492 posts
SQ 260, BP 195, DL 260
715.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
That's a good question it makes you think why do the things we do,if it was me and you've swapped around a little between powerlifting,bodybuiding and strongman I'd consider swimming,running and biking.
I guess it boils down to what your after .
matthewvcIcon...06-09-2016 @ 11:19 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3207 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
few years back i had a pilonidal sinus which developed post-op MRSA and forced me to take a long time off.
think i went best part of 1 year without doing much. was quite ill at times as MRSA, whilst localized to the wound is giving off toxins that make feel run down and s**t.

CAJ: How did you fill the void.
Me: spent more time with my fiancee lol (as she was back then). training wasn't half as serious then though so not a big void.

CAJ: How did it effect you mentally (losing size/strength)
Me: i was around 20% bf so i didn't lose much obvious 'muscle' i simply shrank a lot.
my GF liked it as she hated 'my deformed traps'

CAJ: Are you glad you took time off or do you regret doing so.
Me: kind of forced to, regret not training at all through it

CAJ: Could you have done anything different?
Me: probably done some training. maybe more cardio/conditioning based.

CAJ: For those who came back to lifting after a large amount of time off how long did it take to get back into it.
Me: first session back i remember benching the princely sum of 70kg x 3, squatting about 90kg a mile high, doing a few pump sets of CGBP and promptly throwing up outside from the lactic. i was that out of shape. took about 1 year then to get up to around 180kg mark on squats and 140kg on bench.
scruffmcbuffIcon...06-09-2016 @ 12:14 
Lovely ass Congrats.
Member 5958, 2315 posts
SQ 280, BP 170, DL 300
750.0 kgs @ 138kgs UnEq
i had nearly 2 years off due to an injury/illness.
It was s**t to a major degree, i just took the time to focus on my music.
Losing size was worse then losing strength for me. I hated it and as soon as i could i hit the bulk hard.
1369philIcon...08-09-2016 @ 20:41 
doesnt work hard enough in the gym
Member 1492, 2138 posts
SQ 170, BP 145, DL 195
510.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
Had about 6 months off due to a life changing illness.

Lost lots of weight - lots of strength, which is coming back slowly.

I might be a bit different as the illness I had had a huge impact on my whole body (not like a broken bone)

Gaining strength has really hard and a bit depressing to think that I'm only a bit over 50% strength compared to my fairly average level of strength at the end of last year.

Generally though, the hard work has been fun - the adventure is in the journey, not the destination.
CAJIcon...08-09-2016 @ 22:28 
I recommend the track - Slut Machine
Member 6043, 955 posts
SQ 350, BP 195, DL 350
895.0 kgs @ 150kgs UnEq
danbaseley said:

Mark Clegg once wrote on here something along the lines of "in the grand scheme of things, no one is watching - and no one cares".

That's the hard truth!

All - thanks for your input, it confirms my thoughts.

I will reply to you all and update when I don't feel so depressed and s**t. I'm going through a fairly s**t time emotionally with it all and it's all a bit muscletalk for sugdens liking.

#prayforCAJ
scruffmcbuffIcon...09-09-2016 @ 06:18 
Lovely ass Congrats.
Member 5958, 2315 posts
SQ 280, BP 170, DL 300
750.0 kgs @ 138kgs UnEq
CAJ said:
That's the hard truth!
All - thanks for your input, it confirms my thoughts.
I will reply to you all and update when I don't feel so depressed and s**t. I'm going through a fairly s**t time emotionally with it all and it's all a bit muscletalk for sugdens liking.
#prayforCAJ

Feel free to hijack my muscle talk thread. theres help out there for pct,girlfriends and getting fired for leaking trensweat all over the place
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...09-09-2016 @ 08:25 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
I'll echo what's been said above - training can be great for burning up stress outside the gym and it has held me together more times than I can count....bit if Life is telling you you need to spend your resources elsewhere for a while then I would walk away and not even look back - it will still be there if and when you have the time and energy to devote to it again.

Best of luck to you whatever way it turns out.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...09-09-2016 @ 08:57 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22018 posts
Sorry to hear that you're feeling like that. You seemed really positive recently when you were training alongside Benni and co.
BaconWarriorIcon...09-09-2016 @ 09:56 
**INSERT BACON TAGLINE**
Member 3502, 1009 posts
SQ 240, BP 157.5, DL 275
672.5 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
http://propanefitness.com/what-happens-when-you-stop-training-...
http://propanefitness.com/what-happens-when-you-stop-training-...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIVKdyiQQso

Some of the above may be of use to you, CAJ. Been following your training and hope things turn out for the better soon mate!

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions