REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 258 guests

Private medical care

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

McMuffin_GainsIconPrivate medical care30-03-2016 @ 10:38 
Help me rescue my Insulina.
Member 5366, 1090 posts
Anyone experience with private care?

It's something I've considered. My local GP isn't all that good, appointments are hard to get, impossible to get referrals, doesn't really understand the whole weightlifting thing etc.

The thought of a comprehensive 2 hour head to toe assessment with blood/urine tests and a super fast turnaround appeals to me and you would obviously never get anything like that on the NHS.

I'm curious as to how much these things cost more so as a one off as opposed to paying into some sort of plan.

Also if you go private do you then have to pay for any medication or is that still available on NHS?

Does all the information from private medical stuff go onto your medical record? I have things I may wish to discuss in confidence that I don't want permanently recorded (non insulina related things).
Funky_monkeyIcon...30-03-2016 @ 10:42 
403 forbidden message
Member 160, 5120 posts
SQ 190, BP 137.5, DL 225
552.5 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
You need to know what to say. There is no reason you can't get a referral. I was told to go for an x-ray for a meniscus tear. I insisted that it's a waste of time and money as it's soft tissue and x-rays would be inconclusive. Turns out there was a 40mm tear. I also got a referral to a top UK surgeon who usually does stuff privately, but also works for the NHS. It helps to know certain people though who can advise you on who to see.

I got blood works done on the NHS, and a full urine test from the gf (senior nurse). Do you know any diabetics who can test your insulina levels?

I would say you can definitely get a LOT of things done on the NHS that you can get privately, but you have to know who to see, where to go and what to say. Unfortunately, if you throw mooney at it, you can get exactly the same things easier.
lukiIcon...30-03-2016 @ 14:33 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
I've had UK private medical care and gave it up as I didn't think I was receiving any better service than the NHS.
If you have an emergency you still go through the NHS A+E.
Getting referrals is easier, but you have a mountain of paperwork to claim. Also you inevitably find that a) your insurer wishes to put the cost back on the NHS or b) you’re not covered for whatever it is 100% and end up paying a portion of the cost usually the first couple of hundred. You also need to keep 5years of records to make claims if you switch every year to go with the best price for similar cover.
Can you not just switch doctors? I usually find out who is the local doctor to a
local amateur sports team (rugby doctors are usually good) then register with them.

Your medical records are confidential, but medical insurance is really nosey and shares a lot of the collected information with other insurers.
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions