Who's Online - 0 members and 109 guests

Insula catches up with Ed Coan

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

newhybridIcon...25-01-2016 @ 06:49 
Member 3714, 637 posts
SQ 265, BP 177.5, DL 265
707.5 kgs @ 97kgs Eq
umpalumpalifter said:
sorry but that makes no sense regardless of who wrote it. he recieved a life time ban for getting caught for using banned substances. once banned he is ineligible to profit off those who choose to compete with the federation he is banned from.
two simple things - appeal to those not competing with IPF which there are plenty of. Those who want to visit his seminar don't compete with IPF. pretty simple in my mind

simple? maybe. illegal? most likely.
newhybridIcon...25-01-2016 @ 06:56 
Member 3714, 637 posts
SQ 265, BP 177.5, DL 265
707.5 kgs @ 97kgs Eq
the IPF needs to realise it has to act in accordance with international law and with the laws of specific countries in which it operates. just because the IPF rulebook states something is a rule, it does not make it legal. thats a matter for legislatures and courts to decide. for example if i was handed a contract of work and told i had to sign it if i wanted that particular job but the contract said if i went to a political rally i'd be fired, the contract would be null and void as it would be illegal.
SteveIcon...25-01-2016 @ 07:08 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Post Edited: 25.01.2016 @ 07:14 AM by Steve
newhybrid said:the IPF needs to realise it has to act in accordance with international law and with the laws of specific countries in which it operates. just because the IPF rulebook states something is a rule, it does not make it legal. thats a matter for legislatures and courts to decide. for example if i was handed a contract of work and told i had to sign it if i wanted that particular job but the contract said if i went to a political rally i'd be fired, the contract would be null and void as it would be illegal.

But.a US citizen doesn't have the right to work and earn a living in Europe like an EU citizen. Is there such thing as International law covering this?

And I believe steroid use is actually illegal in Sweden.
JonA81Icon...25-01-2016 @ 07:38 
Member 2216, 2243 posts
newhybrid said:
Ed Coan could rightfully sue for loss of earnings i meant.

Lol bo***cks. The seminars will be full to bursting because of this, IPF have done a better job advertising it than the organisers!
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...25-01-2016 @ 08:54 
Lost his pen, then found his pen. #phew
Member 4899, 2956 posts
To be honest I would love Coan to get a decent lawyer and then take this to the courts, it might go some way towards removing the ridiculous situation we currently find ourselves in....but of course he won't be able to. It would be great to get a fund going but even that wouldn't last very long.

My hope was that Armstrong would have the muscle to take the legal fight all the way but once the US Govt got involved that was stymied...maybe this Russian situation might curb the WADA menace.

I'll repeat again, though - in 20 years time when HRT has convinced the Joe Public that sensible doses of "PED's" are safe someone is going to want their money back.
newhybridIcon...25-01-2016 @ 08:55 
Member 3714, 637 posts
SQ 265, BP 177.5, DL 265
707.5 kgs @ 97kgs Eq
Steve said:
But.a US citizen doesn't have the right to work and earn a living in Europe like an EU citizen. Is there such thing as International law covering this?
And I believe steroid use is actually illegal in Sweden.

he's clearly self employed and works around the world. its the fact they named him personally which could be damaging to him anywhere.
whats the legal status of steroids in sweden got to do with any of this? i very much doubt he will be giving out competition gear cycles at his seminars.
little_aIcon...25-01-2016 @ 09:02 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
JonA81 said:
The seminars will be full to bursting because of this, IPF have done a better job advertising it than the organisers!

Best way to make something popular is to ban it. Bet Ed is loving this thread and the others like it.
little_aIcon...25-01-2016 @ 09:04 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
ChrisMcCarthy said:I'll repeat again, though - in 20 years time when HRT has convinced the Joe Public that sensible doses of "PED's" are safe someone is going to want their money back.

That's a very un-McCarthyist standpoint Mr Mccarthy Happy

I think it'll be longer than 20 years though TBH.
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...25-01-2016 @ 09:11 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
little_a said:
That's a very un-McCarthyist standpoint Mr Mccarthy Happy
I think it'll be longer than 20 years though TBH.

"Are you now, or have you ever been....." Happy
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...25-01-2016 @ 09:13 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
Incidentally, that's the title of one of my favourite episodes of the TV show "Angel".
macrothIcon...25-01-2016 @ 09:17 
no longer the Swiss Deadlift record holder
Member 3517, 3367 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 122.5, DL 255
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
newhybrid said:the IPF needs to realise it has to act in accordance with international law and with the laws of specific countries in which it operates. just because the IPF rulebook states something is a rule, it does not make it legal. thats a matter for legislatures and courts to decide. for example if i was handed a contract of work and told i had to sign it if i wanted that particular job but the contract said if i went to a political rally i'd be fired, the contract would be null and void as it would be illegal.

Lol, you don't have a clue what you're talking about, do you?
SteveIcon...25-01-2016 @ 09:21 
nothing to hide, please follow my life on webcam
Member 255, 3732 posts
Post Edited: 25.01.2016 @ 09:23 AM by Steve
ChrisMcCarthy said:To be honest I would love Coan to get a decent lawyer and then take this to the courts, it might go some way towards removing the ridiculous situation we currently find ourselves in....but of course he won't be able to. It would be great to get a fund going but even that wouldn't last very long.

My hope was that Armstrong would have the muscle to take the legal fight all the way but once the US Govt got involved that was stymied...maybe this Russian situation might curb the WADA menace.

I'll repeat again, though - in 20 years time when HRT has convinced the Joe Public that sensible doses of "PED's" are safe someone is going to want their money back.

Why should a cheat like Armstrong, who repeatedly broke the rules of his governing body be able to take WADA to court? If he was an accountant, lawyer, doctor ... and broke the ruling bodies rules he would have faced a similar expulsion.

And where would Coan take it to court? Back in the late 80s Ernie Frantz took the IPF to court in the US for banning lifters who took part in a non IPF comp. The IPF failed to answer the case and a ruling was made against them. What happened? The IPF simply stopped holding Internationals in the US for the next 15years.
rabn21Icon...25-01-2016 @ 10:08 
Member 3592, 275 posts
SQ 230, BP 175, DL 280
685.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
Boar said:If you are asshole enough to cheat in the first place 'f**k my competitors and f**k their chance at a title' then why ever let that sort of person back ???

we hear stories of disappointed athletes (in many sports) wondering if they could have made it onto the podium ... if not for XXX ....

oh, hi ! welcome back !! aren't you a lovely person.

This is something the NIPF have been actively working on to try and ensure that if somebody is to come back after a ban that they really have paid the price. A two year ban before was practically pointless but at least 4 years now is a bit more of a chunk of a lifting 'career'.

Now lifters returning from bans will have to pay back the federation the cost of the test if they want to become a member again. Also they have to return any trophies they may have won at the competition in question. Both these are required before a banned lifter can apply for membersship. The NIPF also erases ALL records (not just ones set at the competition in question).
macrothIcon...25-01-2016 @ 10:09 
no longer the Swiss Deadlift record holder
Member 3517, 3367 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 122.5, DL 255
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
ChrisMcCarthy said:To be honest I would love Coan to get a decent lawyer and then take this to the courts, it might go some way towards removing the ridiculous situation we currently find ourselves in...

Could you explain what this situation is, because I wasn't aware that I was in it.

Confused
ChrisMcCarthyIcon...25-01-2016 @ 10:12 
Member 4899, 2956 posts
macroth said:
Could you explain what this situation is, because I wasn't aware that I was in it.
Confused

The current Anti-PED situation.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions