dave_rogerson said:
I need a bike.
And a cycle too.

There's a reason they give stage winners a yellow T-Shirt Wink
dave_rogersonIcon...18-07-2014 @ 17:58 
Member 4046, 590 posts
little_a said:
There's a reason they give stage winners a yellow T-Shirt Wink

Everything all now makes sense. Why did I not realise this sooner?
OwenLIcon...19-07-2014 @ 16:19 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
Snatch
Up to 80x2
Stuff to work on

C&j
Nice n easy.

Front squats
120x2x5
OwenLIcon...20-07-2014 @ 14:14 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
fancied a go this morning, so

power clean
up to 90x3x3, with a belt, felt decent

c&j
90x2
100x1
110x1
115 x 2, with a belt, felt good.

pulls
120x3
125x3

back squat
130x3
135x3

back extensions 4x8, for weak lower back.
wrist curls for wrist problems

decent, powers tomorrow, fly on tuesday mother f**kers. Cool
OwenLIcon...21-07-2014 @ 20:22 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
Power snatch
80x 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

Power clean x2, jerk x1
100x 1, 1, 1, 1,

Back squat
160x 2, 2, 2, 2, 2
Beltless. Easy. Strange lol.

Dumbbell press
28x5x5

Wrist curls. Gains.
OwenLIcon...30-07-2014 @ 12:31 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
China's good then. Huge weights got thrown about at the Asian games trials today! Watched it live in person. I'll say no more. But wow.
youngyIcon...30-07-2014 @ 18:56 
crushed the generals chance of 6th place
Member 588, 5477 posts
SQ 200, BP 100, DL 200
500.0 kgs @ 84kgs UnEq
OwenL said:China's good then. Huge weights got thrown about at the Asian games trials today! Watched it live in person. I'll say no more. But wow.

s**t update Owen.

Hope you are enjoying it.
OwenLIcon...31-07-2014 @ 01:54 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
I'll give my take on it when I get home. I have and will only see 1% of their training philosophy but I'm doing my best to learn. My brain is too small but it's giving me food for thought definitely.
Training is awesome, no real PBs yet but that's not why I'm here. Friday involves some heavy lifting I think. Today - we watch the Chinese some lift lots & this morning we have a lecture from the army team coach.
I'd live here given half a chance.

Feel free to PM any questions.
OwenLIcon...04-08-2014 @ 11:56 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
Last double session tomorrow. Leave tomorrow night Unhappy lots to think about. Going to write my programme on the plane home & change quite a bit, use what I've learnt. The UK is so far behind and off the mark it seems. Obviously this trip will have biased me as I've not been to Russia, America or anywhere else to sample their methods but this seems spot on.

Lifting wise: Clean and jerked 110x2x2, 114x2, 117x2, 120x2 PB & cleaned 122 for a double PB. Squatted 173x3. Push press 100x2 (never really done these) did FSQT today but nothing major weight wise lots of sets & reps. Great fun, team environment from everyone.

Snatch hasn't been matched weight wise but I've changed a few things on it and I need to re-learn quite a bit and start to use what I've learnt & realised. But a lot of works been done on it. Such as the 43 working reps today lol.

Got a s**t ton of notes to rake through anyway.
youngyIcon...04-08-2014 @ 12:01 
crushed the generals chance of 6th place
Member 588, 5477 posts
SQ 200, BP 100, DL 200
500.0 kgs @ 84kgs UnEq
OwenL said:Last double session tomorrow. Leave tomorrow night Unhappy lots to think about. Going to write my programme on the plane home & change quite a bit, use what I've learnt. The UK is so far behind and off the mark it seems. Obviously this trip will have biased me as I've not been to Russia, America or anywhere else to sample their methods but this seems spot on.

Lifting wise: Clean and jerked 110x2x2, 114x2, 117x2, 120x2 PB & cleaned 122 for a double PB. Squatted 173x3. Push press 100x2 (never really done these) did FSQT today but nothing major weight wise lots of sets & reps. Great fun, team environment from everyone.

Snatch hasn't been matched weight wise but I've changed a few things on it and I need to re-learn quite a bit and start to use what I've learnt & realised. But a lot of works been done on it. Such as the 43 working reps today lol.

Awesome stuff Owen. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the main take home messages and why you think UK is so far off.
SawyersIcon...04-08-2014 @ 14:48 
Member 2713, 1887 posts
SQ 242.5, BP 140, DL 285
667.5 kgs @ 84kgs UnEq
OwenL said:Last double session tomorrow. Leave tomorrow night Unhappy lots to think about. Going to write my programme on the plane home & change quite a bit, use what I've learnt. The UK is so far behind and off the mark it seems. Obviously this trip will have biased me as I've not been to Russia, America or anywhere else to sample their methods but this seems spot on.

Lovely stuff.
adillon10Icon...04-08-2014 @ 15:16 
Member 3863, 1275 posts
SQ 155, BP 110, DL 182
447.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Made up you've had such a positive experience mate! Can't wait to hear what their philosophies are, really interested in a write up if that's what you were planning on doing.

Train well and have a decent flight home!
OwenLIcon...05-08-2014 @ 07:01 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
Thanks mate. I'll do a general one yeah then more detailed stuff can be done via PM. It's only a slim portion what I've seen so i aren't going to be writing blogs & stuff on it preaching, but I'll definitely give my thoughts & say what I've taken from it. As with anything it's not one size fits all - a lot if questions we asked could've been answered by "it depends".
I'll miss it, but my body is f**ked. We've done 17x3hr sessions in 12 days lol.
OwenLIcon...06-08-2014 @ 05:18 
has a tiny penis
Member 2897, 5018 posts
SQ 220, BP 140, DL 270
630.0 kgs @ 82.2kgs UnEq
Sat in the airport fairly bored.

This is MY view only - I've seen but 1% of the Chinese training methods and I can only take away what I have personally learnt, listened to, been shown and interpreted. Obviously my weaknesses are my own, and won't work for everyone.

So I was privileged enough to be trained by coach Ma and other renowned Chinese coaches over the past 2 weeks. Totalled 17 3 hr sessions as well as some lectures, q & a sessions, watching the Chinese national trials and some sightseeing along the way too.
It's going to be quite hard to sum up really!

Obviously we all know a bit about their style - polar opposite to the Russians/Bulgarians etc in exercise selection and training theories. Although some methods are similar - they both seem to agree on the younger the athlete starts then the more positive career they'll experience. Weightlifting in china isn't something people really do for 'fun' - crossfit is basically unheard of and you can't just enter a competiton. Athletes are picked up from a young age and assessed on their willingness, physical and mental attributes, and wether their family will allow them to sacrifice a lot for the sport. Each province has a professional weightlifting team and the one I witnessed was at the Beijing sports university.
Coaches are ALL ex lifters, and are expected to have a relevant degrees and suitable weightlifting experience. Something which really stuck out as a major difference to the UKs coaches (2 day BWLA course...). The coach we interacted with was a former national champion and snatched 145 in training yesterday at 62kg - he only trains once a week.

The primary focus of the athletes at a young age is to build a strong technique base with weights their body can handle. They then supplement this training with other sports - sprinting, running, jumping and basketball etc. some athletes have previous in sports such as wrestling etc which bodes well.
The Chinese also have a great team spirit and LOVE their training - some aspects are left up to them to ensure they enjoy the schedule, such as choosing their accessory exercises, leading group warm ups and also playing sports together on a Saturday night instead of getting lashed lol. They strive for perfection, so,etching which I'm really taking from this, weights are second only to the quality in which they're lifted. I don't think I ever saw a lift that was ugly! The technique is obviously second nature and confidence is sky high. Egos seem to be non existent, Liao Hui is so humble in person it's crazy. They ensure this perfection with lighter %s and maintain strength through their assistance exercises.
They have their own style, which may or may not suit everyone but it seems to have helped me. "Close, fast, low and stable" every age is f**king FAST, no lolling around with an empty bar or 40kg, they get it moving like they're attacking a max clean. Some days we'd see them using weights the same as us....but when it came to going heavy, they didn't hesitate with 170kg clean and jerks, 140+ snatches and 220kg back squats (62-69k lifters)
They worked diligently on their warm ups right from the bodyweight circuits at the start, to the multiple sets at 40-50kg until they were happy to go up.
Bodybuilding exercises and core work also plays a big part in their training it seems, this appears to be to prevent injury, and ensure strong OH positions, no wobbling around with jerks or snatches.
They are however mortal and admit then so,stiles have off says, in which case they reduced their load according to the lifters feelings, however if it's a heavy week, they still ensure to go as heavy as possible. This also works the other way - if they feel strong, then they go up with the weights and nail some heavier weights. They do still ensure there is no rush to lifting and it any doubt is there then save it to another day.

For me personally I have took away several aspects of the training - I enjoy training twice daily with less volume per session but more overall. I also got reminded now slow I am and just over these past 2 weeks my timing and speed has vastly improvedd.
New start positions appear to engage my quads or a better extent and the bar oath seems shallower already, and 'crashing' bars are hopefully a thing of the past.

In regards to BW - It has floated up to where I want it to be - around. 80kg as they suggested.
We also spoke about competitions and how their lifters regularly nail their openers in the up coming weeks to a competition and even in the competiton warm up! They also choose openers a month or so before the competition but do allow slight changes if need be.

They explained the differences between men and women and how training should vary. Men can generally tolerate heavier loads but can only produce this performance over a less amount of sets and reps, we also recover quicker than women.
Generally their women have better technique as they handle up to double the volume sometimes but at lighter weights and also take possibly double the time to recover froma heavy weeks training.

General consensus I got was heavy week, medium week, heavy week, light few days up to a week - repeat.

Supplements - creatine, vitamins and herbs, the rest comes from a great varied diet.

Recovery methods - we learnt to walk on each other's backs, and also learnt about their stretching routines, days off, massages and other stuff such as acupuncture and cupping to a lesser extent.

Squatting isn't as highly emphasised as it is in the west, they do squat but less frequently, however when they do squat is f**king heavy and still perfect. Forced reps and negatives also were used according to the different lifters.
Pulling seemed to be favoured and I preferred the way they structured their squats and pulls. The Chinese pulls are so hard to get without coaching - definite work in progress..

This is probably all reading like crap as I've been up for about 24 hours now lol. So I might carry in tomorrow if I realised I've forgot something. In the meantime, please ask question as it's easier for me to reply with a more focused answer.

Thanks to Ma strength, coach Jianping Ma, and Manuel Buitrago for having us, the full trip was great. I want to live there & train there. Hopefully be back before I know it.......Grin

12345678910 ... ... 1819202122232425262728

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions