Lloyd on squat and deadlift suits

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JFLIconLloyd on squat and deadlift suits25-11-2013 @ 21:35 
Englands strongest man 2011
Member 1342, 246 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 380
940.0 kgs @ 160kgs Eq
suits

Suits, are an piece of kit I have always found interesting cause you get some individuals that say they don't help because they weakening your raw strength and just give confidence and some say they do the complete opposite. 

I have found that there are lots to different types of suits that fit different body shapes and preferences, and they definitely help with the lift and enable you to lift heavier by giving external support/compression to your trunk and hips when your muscle are in their outer range (which is a weak range in muscle contracture). They give you the ability to control the eccentric load and give you more explosion on the concentric part of the lift and giving me the confidence to lift heavy.  

So here's some tips I learnt in trying and buying different suits:

- They come in different sizes and depending on your weight, and you can have different sizes of suit at your weight . This comes down to how much support you want so typically for training you don't want a tight fitting suit you need something you can move around in as wearing a suit does get uncomfortable and the tighter the suit the more support you get. I found the Titan suits seem to fit me best but you need to find out for yourself. 

- Double ply suits are thicker and typically give you more support in your lifts.

-  It can take 6 sessions and more to wear into your suit properly. So don't by a suit try it once and then use it in competition. 

- When using a suit start wearing them at 50% of you 1 rep max as a half suit and as the weight increases use the arm slings. This will mean by the time you get up to the heavy weights the suit has adjusted and sits well, so you don't get any surprise adjustments on the way down.

- Research has shown that suits will change the way you lift by prevent your knees from going over your toes and increase your lumbar flexion so start light and build up gradually.  So if you squat in weightlifting shoes and typically squat narrow and your knees over shoot your toes when your at the bottom a squat suit probably won't suit you as you use your quads a lot in squatting. 

- Its down to your preference as some of the best lifters don't even use suits as it restricts them too much.

- You can only squat in a squat suit but you can deadlift and squat in a deadlift suit. This is due to it having a higher chest plate section which will give you more trunk support stopping you from flexing your upper thoracic too much. Which you need in deadlift and won't effect your squat. 

- Once your competition suit is on your probably have about 2mins to do the lift if not less. this is due to your breathing patterns, and due to the tightness of the suit in certain parts it starts to restrict the blood supply. 
Competition suits are typically tighter fitting and about 1-2 sizes smaller than a training suit. 

Personally I only use suits to push my weights up and in competition times but based on some raw lifters being able to lift more weight on the bar I'm gonna try and work on my raw strength in its outer range more to improve the use of the suit. So deficit deadlifts, and stop and go low box squats. Although they are helpful I do find them very restrictive and very rarely use them. Maybe once a month if not every other. When getting nearer to competitions I try to use it weekly to get use to the feel of the suit. 

There is an element where suits will only be effective if your weakness is in the outer range for instance in the deadlift suits are very effective at the acceleration from the ground to the knee or on the squat from the lowest point and accelerate up. If you find these elements easy then maybe suits won't work with you here. 

There's a lot behind a persons raw strength and it's why the Arnold's is always a good watch and in my opinion a true test of power and strength because all the lifts are raw meaning no suits. 

Let me know what you think about suits and any other tips just add on. Like I said these are bits I wish I new when buying a suit. 
stewartflett13Icon...26-11-2013 @ 00:05 
Member 3807, 302 posts
SQ 320, BP 160, DL 320
800.0 kgs @ 145kgs UnEq
This cleared up a lot of things for me explains why my deadlift suit isn't really working I'm fast of the floor but slow at lockout does this apply to squats aswell because I'm slow in the hole but fast when I get about half way up
JFLIcon...26-11-2013 @ 07:13 
Member 1342, 246 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 380
940.0 kgs @ 160kgs Eq
This is was dave Beattie added to my post on FB. Very interesting points.

disagree mate with couple points suits ie squat suits an bench shirts can give big increase when used properly lot lifters gain 80 plus kg in suits sometimes up to 150kg ,suits are an art and raw lifting is making a big comeback as many big lifters in kit are weak raw,most top kitted lifters spend long periods time in kit with little raw work !a lot of lifters find deadlifting in a squat suit works well , especially canvas squat suits ,many dont get gains or very small ones in conventional form deadlifting as to make more pop off the ground straps have to be tight and makes lockout harder ,sumo lifters can get huge gains in a suit though due to support it offers with wide sumo stance,most heavyweight lifters tend to wearlooser kit than lighter classe, hope this helps
JFLIcon...26-11-2013 @ 07:16 
Member 1342, 246 posts
SQ 340, BP 220, DL 380
940.0 kgs @ 160kgs Eq
stewartflett13 said:This cleared up a lot of things for me explains why my deadlift suit isn't really working I'm fast of the floor but slow at lockout does this apply to squats aswell because I'm slow in the hole but fast when I get about half way up

I personally wouldn't know without looking but but it might suit you for squats to use briefs. But tbh this isn't an area I can find a lot on and it's mostly experience for pieces of kit like this. These are bits I've found and heard and experienced myself so it takes time and experience and sadly money
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions