Who's Online - 0 members and 363 guests

equipped lifting - be honest?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

glen_danburyIconequipped lifting - be honest?25-07-2012 @ 10:12 
Member 735, 1193 posts
SQ 220, BP 135, DL 235
590.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
is it worth it?

currently compete raw but decided to go and do both in the fed i compete with (bdfpa).

initially excited me and got some second hand bench shirts, knee wraps and awaiting delivery of a squat suit. but just messing with trying to get the shirts on and wonder how much of an effort this is going to entail not only in getting this stuff on but also how you need to change your training etc.

those who compete equipped

*how long does it take you getting kit on?
* how long does it take to learn how to best use gear at least to a half way proficient level?
* have you found your raw lifts going up well over time training and competing equipped or does one stall somewhat?
* how often do you need to buy new gear?

thanks
bigdave30Icon...25-07-2012 @ 10:14 
if I had a hat on I would take it off
Member 3343, 1045 posts
SQ 330, BP 170, DL 350
850.0 kgs @ 141.8kgs Eq
unfortunately, iv got no choice in strapping up... i couldn do a warm up without the proper wraps etc due 2 injuries iv occured over the years...
glen_danburyIcon...25-07-2012 @ 10:26 
Member 735, 1193 posts
SQ 220, BP 135, DL 235
590.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
so for you its necessary - how long does it take you to get stuff on?
FazcIcon...25-07-2012 @ 10:35 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
Post Edited: 25.07.2012 @ 10:40 AM by Fazc
*how long does it take you getting kit on?

The shirt I have slips on, and the suit will come on after a few lunges. I got loose gear mainly for injury prevention and so I could at least learn how to use it a little without the hassle of the tighter stuff.

It's certainly a trade off. For the (relative) ease of using loose gear I don't get as much poundage from it. I'm now looking to get some tighter stuff, because if you're using gear you may as well wear it tight because everyone else certainly will.

* how long does it take to learn how to best use gear at least to a half way proficient level?

Suits? Not long at all. It's really just a matter of piling some weight on and making sure you're pushing against the suit as you come down. Obviously fine tuning it takes longer but that's the basics. A suit like the centurion will do just fine.

Shirts on the other hands are a pain in the ass. They will take more time. Something like an F6 or fury will be easier than a Katana.

* have you found your raw lifts going up well over time training and competing equipped or does one stall somewhat?

Unless you train them somehow, they won't go up from gear alone.

* how often do you need to buy new gear?

Whenever you move a weight class. Or like me, if you started off with loose stuff and now want tighter gear.

My recommendation would be to start off with the s**t-tight gear and perhaps get a slingshot and loose briefs for regular training. Most of my training now is done in a slingshot or briefs and that's just easier and you get genuinely stronger in between comps, come competition time later in the year I'll be buying some much tighter gear.

Edit - I should say, the gear will get looser over time as well. So if you're in the gear week in week out your gear will get worn out quicker. That's where you need to change your training and think of how to train for the gear, rather than always train in the gear.
glen_danburyIcon...25-07-2012 @ 10:50 
Member 735, 1193 posts
SQ 220, BP 135, DL 235
590.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
cheers

i.bought two titan fury shirts second hand one slightly bigger and one which should be super tight for the comp. but even the bigger one seems ridiculously tight lol

i.planned on getting a real basic squat suit like a z suit initially and to start off with do one technical session in gear each month and then do sessions in gear each week six weeks out from a comp.

i still plan to mainly train raw but was wondering if by doing so you do yourself a disservice when competing equipped due to the different strength curves or vice versa if competing raw lol
FazcIcon...25-07-2012 @ 11:08 
Sports an extremely muscular arse.
Member 38, 6253 posts
glen_danbury said:i still plan to mainly train raw but was wondering if by doing so you do yourself a disservice when competing equipped due to the different strength curves or vice versa if competing raw lol

Different people will give you different answers here on exactly how to do it, but I think most people will agree you definitely need to build up the bulk of your strength raw. Don't train in your full gear week in week out unless it's a few weeks prior to a comp, it's a one way trip to snap city.

Personally I'd carry on training mostly raw but make sure you're accounting extra for that mid-top end somehow.
LuuuuuukeyIcon...25-07-2012 @ 11:13 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
SQ 200, BP 127.5, DL 232.5
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
I lifted equipped for a while and to be honest it took the fun out of lifting for me. I like just lifting some weights and testing myself, not having to f**k about getting what is basically a very tight t-shirt on in such a way that it allows me to lift more weight.

Having said that, I was pretty s**t in kit so its obvious I wouldn't enjoy it.
milsyIcon...25-07-2012 @ 11:24 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
Luuuuuukey said:I lifted equipped for a while and to be honest it took the fun out of lifting for me. I like just lifting some weights and testing myself, not having to f**k about getting what is basically a very tight t-shirt on in such a way that it allows me to lift more weight.

Having said that, I was pretty s**t in kit so its obvious I wouldn't enjoy it.

Pretty much exact same reason I lift Unequipped

I like the way brandon Lilly and his guys train in the shirt if there still training this way seemed a good formula

Week one work upto heavy raw bench double or triple
Week two work upto heavy double / triple using slingshot/ bands/ chains / boards
Week three work upto heavy single in shirt to board of choice
Week4 light bench

Then start again

Seemed to work for.him
glen_danburyIcon...25-07-2012 @ 13:08 
Member 735, 1193 posts
SQ 220, BP 135, DL 235
590.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
yeah i only want to lift equipped to give me more options competition wise and hoping using some heavier weights will give my raw lifting a boost really
LuuuuuukeyIcon...25-07-2012 @ 13:21 
Hill sprints are fun!
Member 731, 3253 posts
SQ 200, BP 127.5, DL 232.5
560.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
glen_danbury said:yeah i only want to lift equipped to give me more options competition wise and hoping using some heavier weights will give my raw lifting a boost really

Doesn't really work like that in my limited experience.

Lifting in kit makes you stronger in kit, lifting unequipped makes you stronger unequipped.

Just lift with the GBPF if you want more options competition wise Tongue
IainKendrickIcon...25-07-2012 @ 13:25 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 25.07.2012 @ 13:26 PM by IainKendrick
Doubt it'll give your unequipped lifting a boost. Other way round for the majoriy of people. You could just as easily loose raw strength if you neglect it in fav of the kit!
glen_danburyIcon...25-07-2012 @ 14:23 
Member 735, 1193 posts
SQ 220, BP 135, DL 235
590.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 25.07.2012 @ 14:41 PM by glen_danbury
can see what your saying.

however my bench is weak more mid to end when raw (know you could say just do more speed and tricep work) so would need to bring that up for kit to work.

also im a confidence lifter - call me a pussy if you want but of late im finding im missing more and more lifts as the confidence with them isn't there - was reckoning (hoping) having done the weights equipped a certain mental barrier would go down going back to raw.
milsyIcon...25-07-2012 @ 18:01 
Ne n coner a fuickex .ay ouse part we .be
Member 1425, 4647 posts
SQ 340, BP 227.5, DL 335
902.5 kgs @ 125kgs UnEq
glen_danbury said:can see what your saying.

however my bench is weak more mid to end when raw (know you could say just do more speed and tricep work) so would need to bring that up for kit to work.

also im a confidence lifter - call me a pussy if you want but of late im finding im missing more and more lifts as the confidence with them isn't there - was reckoning (hoping) having done the weights equipped a certain mental barrier would go down going back to raw.

can see where you are coming from I had the same thaughts until I used kit for a short time and found out its not as simple as that if your wanting to get a feel for heavy wieghts and build confidence i would sugest using a titan ram for your bench and hanging bands for the squat to help improve your unequipped lifts
IainKendrickIcon...25-07-2012 @ 18:04 
some nice relaxing jazz.
Member 77, 12599 posts
SQ 265, BP 165, DL 280
710.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Guess we're all different but the conifdence thing I never felt. You feel the support in the gear start to finish.

If you want other lifts to help you bench their planet about without putting a shirt on; floor press, board presses, CGBPF, long pauses, Feet up, band work, chain work etc etc etc

Now if you want to lift equipped go for it and enjoy it!
glen_danburyIcon...25-07-2012 @ 20:35 
Member 735, 1193 posts
SQ 220, BP 135, DL 235
590.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
yeah, cheers iain.

raw lifting will always be my main goal/love but willing to give the equipped a bash, at worse its just another interesting experiment in what is a great personal hobby. who knows once i get my goal of a three times bodyweight raw squat i might even try Olympic lifting or even shock horror crossfit lol

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions