REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 160 guests
You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshitcoronavirus

coronavirus

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Closed This thread has been closed by a moderator. Replies are no longer possible.

12345678910 ... 128129130 ... 153154155156157158159160161162163

macrothIcon...13-02-2021 @ 08:45 
no longer the Swiss Deadlift record holder
Member 3517, 3368 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 122.5, DL 255
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
dannyboy73 said:
just take a straw poll of the people who post on this thread...at least 5 who do not agree with lockdown and want it bought to an abrupt end..that would need 50 regular pro-lockdowners to reflect the polls. This is not the case.

We'd have to take an actual poll before stating whether or not it is the case, and even so, this forum isn't exactly representative of the British population.
RickIcon...13-02-2021 @ 10:32 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
Ham said:
Is that a teddy bear being kicked out of a pram I see.

I feel perhaps Rick you are taking this all a little personally.

Clearly opening with that you're trying to make it personal. But no. Just had enough of having my time wasted, and the discourse poisoned. Should have done it long ago. You don't have to agree.

As to "leadership", I'm not a leader, I'm a moderator. I have, belatedly, done my job. Further posts questioning moderation decisions are likely to be deleted, as unproductive.

Perhaps we’d all do well to remember this is a strength forum and nothing that gets exchanged here will change anything in real life.

Oh. People aren't influenced by what they read? What a lot of money gets wasted on advertising and politics, then.
danbaseleyIcon...13-02-2021 @ 10:32 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4476 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
macroth said:
Agreement and compliance are separate issues. If you ask me if I agree with speed limits I'll say yes. If you ask me if I always obey them, I'll say no.

This.
RickIcon...13-02-2021 @ 10:54 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
dannyboy73 said:if so many people agree with lockdown...only 9% think it to harsh then why do 20-40% not self isolate when contacted by track and trace?

The actual figures seem at first glance significantly better for your case: less than 20% DO isolate. But that's not because they don't agree with it, it's because they often simply cannot afford to. I am not exactly living hand to mouth, but, if I didn't have excellent sick pay and a supportive employer, I wouldn't be able to afford to either. This - lack of support to isolate - has been discussed at great length in this thread, it's by far the biggest failure of policy in the UK. Public compliance with everything else is very good - actually the polling shows that we think "everybody else" complies a good deal less than they actually do.

dannyboy73 said:No.
just take a straw poll of the people who post on this thread...at least 5 who do not agree with lockdown and want it bought to an abrupt end..that would need 50 regular pro-lockdowners to reflect the polls.

This is called the "representation fallacy", as is your feeling about the people you know, and it's a powerful and well-understood cognitive bias. Most of this forum avoid this thread like poison, very wisely (and, indeed message me to ask when I'm going to do something about it, my fellow moderator having very wisely washed his hands of it in disgust); the people who post here are disproportionately contrarians, and the contrarians post disproportionately more, which is not at all unusual in matters of this sort. Your impression of the people you know is no more meaningful than my impression of my colleagues and friends, whose views are precisely the opposite. Of course we doubtless move in rather different circles. But this is why we have polling companies which go to enormous lengths to try to make their results representative.

I also strongly suspect you are conflating people saying "this is horrible and I can't wait until it's over, I wish it was over" with people being against the lockdown. I wish it was over too. They're different concepts.

The idea that the government are fixing the polling in some way is, forgive me, ludicrous. Polling is as often anti-government as pro, if they could fix it this isn't where they'd start! You have consistently asserted that your views reflect the moderate mainstream majority, but it simply is not remotely so.
BillytheoldIcon...13-02-2021 @ 13:21 
Sugdens crazy old person.
Member 4936, 7288 posts
SQ 270, BP 155, DL 270
695.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
JohnGym said:
Excellent suggestion.
Lockdown has been great. It beats going to work.

I agree with people that consistently train, not some putz who stays in their shed an trains whenever they are not crying! Truth fir me.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...13-02-2021 @ 13:53 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22044 posts
JohnGym said:
Lockdown has been great. It beats going to work.

I'm sure it wasn't meant that way, but that wording could be seen as having a smug vibe to it.

Plenty of people have worked right through (including me) and in much more difficult circumstances.
AdamTIcon...13-02-2021 @ 13:55 
AKA the great reset
Member 4056, 5206 posts
Post Edited: 13.02.2021 @ 13:55 PM by AdamT
Wayne_Cowdrey said:
I'm sure it wasn't meant that way, but that wording could be seen as having a smug vibe to it.
Plenty of people have worked right through (including me) and in much more difficult circumstances.

I think it was 100% meant to be smug or why else say it?
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...13-02-2021 @ 13:57 
Member 400, 22044 posts
AdamT said:
I think it was 100% meant to be smug or why else say it?

I'd prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt. Think it was a throw away comment.
WILLSANIcon...13-02-2021 @ 15:04 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
https://scontent-lhr8-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/147777523_1907601696047731_3482043775853674494_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=veUQ9H-sC5cAX88eDce&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-2.xx&oh=037292a8f9f7e37591f86c453e5a05c7&oe=604A6139
RickIcon...13-02-2021 @ 18:29 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
If you're still insinuating I'm an authoritarian by nature, all I can do is shake my head and laugh at you. One of the joys of teaching as a profession is that you get to find out precisely who you are, by seeing the relationship you develop with your classes.

Despite that being a clear effort to poison the discourse, again, I'm going to leave it up.
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...13-02-2021 @ 21:13 
Member 400, 22044 posts
Slightly disappointing follow-up post, but I'm not going to hold it against you or dwell on it. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place. We are all different people living different lives, so naturally we will see the situation differently and experience it in different ways. But, we are a little (friendly?) community here, so let's respect/support each other. Sugden is certainly part of my 'support system' at the moment Happy
EDCLARKEIcon...13-02-2021 @ 22:05 
not particularly well educated
Member 85, 10987 posts
SQ 170, BP 130, DL 260
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
jt said:

Anyone who thinks different are welcome to their opinions and should be allowed to keep posting them regardless.

The caveat for removal should only be to stop any legal implications.

Happy posting.

good post totally agree!
WILLSANIcon...15-02-2021 @ 14:01 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Rick said:If you're still insinuating I'm an authoritarian by nature, all I can do is shake my head and laugh at you. One of the joys of teaching as a profession is that you get to find out precisely who you are, by seeing the relationship you develop with your classes.

Despite that being a clear effort to poison the discourse, again, I'm going to leave it up.

very good.

nothing I think, say or post matters.

we only have one judge and our petty justifications matter not to him.

the quote has a wider significance though:

- the state will use dehumanising epithets: 'denier', 'anti vaxxer', 'conspiracy theorist' to describe anyone who doubts the safety, efficacy or morality of the vaccines and declines them.

- fear rhetoric will be used to push the population into a 'fight or flight' state of mind: 'new variants'.

- removal of restrictions will be used as a stick to beat the, now dehumanised, non compliant: 'evil deniers are preventing you from going back to normal'.

- authoritarians, now in fight or flight mode, will cheer oppressive measures taken by the state against the non-compliant 'terrorists': 'coerced vaccination', 'forced vaccination', 'imprisonment', 'censorship'.

- the non compliant will either capitulate under the pressure or stand by their principles and be excluded from society.

- the state is left with a cowed population.

- big pharma is left with perpetually mind bending profit margins.

this is the direction of travel as I see it.

maybe it wont go that far.

maybe some might think this entirely right and just.

however, if one part of the population loses their freedoms it sets a precedent for everyone else. just because you have lived in a 'free country' for the whole of your life it does not mean you always will.
RickIcon...15-02-2021 @ 17:16 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
WILLSAN said:
- the state will use dehumanising epithets: 'denier', 'anti vaxxer', 'conspiracy theorist' to describe anyone who doubts the safety, efficacy or morality of the vaccines and declines them.
- fear rhetoric will be used to push the population into a 'fight or flight' state of mind: 'new variants'.
- removal of restrictions will be used as a stick to beat the, now dehumanised, non compliant: 'evil deniers are preventing you from going back to normal'.
- authoritarians, now in fight or flight mode, will cheer oppressive measures taken by the state against the non-compliant 'terrorists': 'coerced vaccination', 'forced vaccination', 'imprisonment', 'censorship'.

The "dehumanising epithets" are the simple truth. The "fear rhetoric" is the simple truth (and is exactly what one would expect when high levels of infection are policy, as sadly they have been here). The "stick" might well be the truth if there were enough of them, which fortunately there aren't. The last is hysterical nonsense. Fortunately, most of the population can tell the difference. I am sorry for you that you can't.
WILLSANIcon...15-02-2021 @ 18:58 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Rick said:
The "dehumanising epithets" are the simple truth.

is it the truth that anyone who doubts the safety, efficacy or morality of these particular vaccines is denying that the virus is real?

is it the truth that anyone who doubts the safety, efficacy or morality of these particular vaccines must also oppose all vaccines?

is it the truth that anyone who doubts the safety, efficacy or morality of these particular vaccines must also prescribe that there is a conspiracy behind their implementation?

is it helpful to label people who may have very diverse reasoning into one grouping?

when, in history, have labels been most prominently used by the state to turn one section of society against another?

is it easier to inflict injustice on to people who have been grouped and labelled rather than seeing them as individuals with separate views and concerns?

Rick said:
The "fear rhetoric" is the simple truth (and is exactly what one would expect when high levels of infection are policy, as sadly they have been here).

do you think the state would never exaggerate the scale of risk in order to gain compliance from the public?

Rick said:
The "stick" might well be the truth if there were enough of them, which fortunately there aren't.

that is yet to be seen.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/as-demand-for-vaccines-plummets-israe...

As demand for vaccines plummets, Israel may resort to incentive programs

Rick said:
The last is hysterical nonsense. Fortunately, most of the population can tell the difference. I am sorry for you that you can't.

maybe so.

but I dont speak for the rest of the population or seek validation from it.

12345678910 ... 128129130 ... 153154155156157158159160161162163

You are here: HomeForumGeneral Bullshitcoronavirus
© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions