REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 190 guests

'You've got the passion but not the gift'

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

Luke82Icon...13-04-2012 @ 20:53 
Enjoys his parents fully stocked fridge.
Member 3476, 868 posts
SQ 170, BP 136, DL 217.5
523.5 kgs @ 95kgs UnEq
Being passionate IS the gift.

Think I've been watching too many 80's underdog movies, sorry.
ursusIcon...14-04-2012 @ 18:31 
Man up and have a fuckin coffee
Member 2086, 9717 posts
SQ 340, BP 252.5, DL 300
892.5 kgs @ 158kgs UnEq
I think a lot of gifted guys tend to be complacent as there gift makes what they are doing easier to them than others .
I suggest that as long as you have decent genetics coupled with very very hard work and a huge appetite you can force something to 'awaken' from average genetics.
Patience, as already mentioned, is a massive factor to the ungifted .
Many quit before they realise there potential ,many get distracted/injured etc ,but those guys that relentlessly plug awaay year after year slowly come thru and emerge after as much as 10/15yrs solid training.

Sometimes,just having the passion to beat yourself is enough satisfaction and if you dont crave the limelight, but crave to achieve your absolute potential, i think from a personal level that can be just as satisfying as being the best !!

What others think about you is irrelevent, and at the end of time what only really matters is that you are completely happy with yourself .
rick89Icon...14-04-2012 @ 19:13 
I have a fear of getting strong
Member 911, 764 posts
SQ 265, BP 170, DL 315
750.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
ursus said:I think a lot of gifted guys tend to be complacent as there gift makes what they are doing easier to them than others .
I suggest that as long as you have decent genetics coupled with very very hard work and a huge appetite you can force something to 'awaken' from average genetics.
Many quit before they realise there potential ,many get distracted/injured etc ,but those guys that relentlessly plug awaay year after year slowly come thru and emerge after as much as 10/15yrs solid training.

Sometimes,just having the passion to beat yourself is enough satisfaction and if you dont crave the limelight, but crave to achieve your absolute potential, i think from a personal level that can be just as satisfying as being the best !!

What others think about you is irrelevent, and at the end of time what only really matters is that you are completely happy with yourself .

that Jay is a brilliant post

terry hollands admited a few times that he got lazy in training from time to time but still was placing high international

i understand your thoughts about being satisfied in yourself and training for one self, and can see it shows in your journal and vid mate

I simply love lifting weights with a passion it makes me feel god about myself even if nobody knows or cares what i lift etc
deleted2_20210523Icon...14-04-2012 @ 19:16 
Member 2606, 11453 posts
SQ 170, BP 117.5, DL 215
502.5 kgs @ 91.6kgs UnEq
deleted
TravisFandangoIcon...14-04-2012 @ 19:22 
Member 1093, 5446 posts
SQ 160, BP 105, DL 225
490.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
I beat myself to satisfaction most nights.
ursusIcon...14-04-2012 @ 19:43 
Member 2086, 9717 posts
SQ 340, BP 252.5, DL 300
892.5 kgs @ 158kgs UnEq
rick89 said:
that Jay is a brilliant post
terry hollands admited a few times that he got lazy in training from time to time but still was placing high international
i understand your thoughts about being satisfied in yourself and training for one self, and can see it shows in your journal and vid mate
I simply love lifting weights with a passion it makes me feel god about myself even if nobody knows or cares what i lift etc

thanks mate, you are exactly the same as me in those thoughts
ursusIcon...14-04-2012 @ 19:46 
Member 2086, 9717 posts
SQ 340, BP 252.5, DL 300
892.5 kgs @ 158kgs UnEq
TravisFandango said:I beat myself to satisfaction most nights.

only 'MOST 'nights ? what on earth do you do on the other nights ?Tongue
jreppIcon...14-04-2012 @ 20:01 
Member 299, 579 posts
SQ 250, BP 200, DL 282.5
732.5 kgs @ 109kgs UnEq
Saw this and it reminded me of this thread

http://youtu.be/-8RysHoMR1U
RossAIcon...15-04-2012 @ 18:18 
i love food
Member 1042, 441 posts
SQ 265, BP 212.5, DL 325
802.5 kgs @ 129.1kgs UnEq
FAT_SAM said:A friend who used to train with me a few years ago said 'You've got the passion but not the gift', in reference to my love for training and everything strength related. He then went on to say that I am wasting my life by just training and working on the doors and that I should become more career orientated now that I am getting a little older (23 this week). Back when we used to train together he was the best training partner I ever had but since then 'life' has got in the way and he has failed to make any gains at all for well over a year and has started going backwards on some lifts. Indeed I get impression that this stagnation has left him feeling a little bitter towards people that are still making gains.

Anyway - back to 'You've got the passion but not the gift'. I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on that statement and am interested in how many of you consider training their number one priority in life.

Maybe your friend was trying to help and maybe some of it was from disappointment from his own wasted experiences. you make your own life. enjoy it. i think it's good to find a "balance" to stay happy but that's just what i've found. but if focusing on one thing makes you happy, stick with it. we don't get much time in life so it's important to try and have all of the experiences you want before it's too late.

A "genetic gift" will only get you so far and usually makes you lazier anyway. Passion for something makes you succeed more than anything else.

you can only "waste" your own time. what you choose to do with your time in life is your decision. just be happy.

IMO training and eating makes me happy so it's my main hobby. i'm happy with my training for the amount of effort i put into it. but i wouldn't want to sacrifice other areas of my life just for some more strength. maybe if i had started training at a younger age and didn't have as much going on my outlook would be different.
RossAIcon...15-04-2012 @ 18:30 
i love food
Member 1042, 441 posts
SQ 265, BP 212.5, DL 325
802.5 kgs @ 129.1kgs UnEq
there are lots of positive posts on here so i reckon everyone feels the same. just be happy and healthy in life cause it's short, you only get one go at it, you can't go back and we will all die some day so make the most of what you have.
MrSmallIcon...15-04-2012 @ 18:33 
Gone and easily forgotten.......
Member 331, 22298 posts
SQ 185, BP 100, DL 230
515.0 kgs @ 85kgs UnEq
sometimes the passion is all you need
Olli1990Icon...15-04-2012 @ 23:06 
Member 2424, 949 posts
SQ 280, BP 200, DL 300
780.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
Luke82 said:Being passionate IS the gift.

Think I've been watching too many 80's underdog movies, sorry.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Would rather have a passion for something and try than have a gift I don't want
CuddlesIcon...16-04-2012 @ 17:56 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
ursus said:I think a lot of gifted guys tend to be complacent as there gift makes what they are doing easier to them than others .

Really good post mate.

I was talking to a few guys at work about this a few weeks ago after one had read Matthew Syed's book on champions. A mate who is a top swimming coach said that he thought that in most sports anyone can learn to train like a champion, that isn't difficult. But the difficult bit is doing it day after day, month after month, year after year without wavering from the overall plan. Enjoying and even excelling in the monotony of it. For most it would become tediously dull, impatience would kick in and something would be changed. Training to be good at an athletic event is often quite dull.

It's also why a good coach can help massively imo. That and blind faith.
ursusIcon...16-04-2012 @ 18:18 
Member 2086, 9717 posts
SQ 340, BP 252.5, DL 300
892.5 kgs @ 158kgs UnEq
Cuddles said:
Really good post mate.
I was talking to a few guys at work about this a few weeks ago after one had read Matthew Syed's book on champions. A mate who is a top swimming coach said that he thought that in most sports anyone can learn to train like a champion, that isn't difficult. But the difficult bit is doing it day after day, month after month, year after year without wavering from the overall plan. Enjoying and even excelling in the monotony of it. For most it would become tediously dull, impatience would kick in and something would be changed. Training to be good at an athletic event is often quite dull.
It's also why a good coach can help massively imo. That and blind faith.

cheers mate,it is an extremely interesting thing that Sam has brought up and well worth thinking about.
CuddlesIcon...16-04-2012 @ 18:27 
Eat.Cycle.Sleep.Win
Member 2, 12511 posts
SQ 190, BP 150, DL 280
620.0 kgs @ 99kgs UnEq
Administrator
This is the book if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bounce-How-Champions-are-Made/dp/00073...

Haven't had the chance to read it myself but by all accounts it's a good read. Syed was a champion table tennis player for years and you now see him doing TV coverage sometimes. Interesting chap.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions