REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 209 guests

Would eggs be a perfect substitute for meat?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

JackRevansIconWould eggs be a perfect substitute for meat?23-03-2015 @ 17:05 
'There was also a sausage in my mouth.'
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
^^
little_aIcon...23-03-2015 @ 17:33 
still a devious weightlifting bastard
Member 43, 14374 posts
You talking food or love eggs and man meat? What's wrong with a bit of angus every now and then?
McMuffin_GainsIcon...23-03-2015 @ 17:35 
Help me rescue my Insulina.
Member 5366, 1090 posts
Not sure if srs..

IMO - In a word - No.

Take beef, the best but least 'healthy' of common meats.

If I ate 250g of quality mince (15%) (a modest amount) I would get approx. 65g of Protein in 625 kCal

To equal that protein intake you would need to consume 11 LARGE eggs at 858 kCal and also the amount of cholesterol would be 9 times higher!

If you wanted to avoid the cholesterol you could use Egg whites, but they taste s**t without the yoke and would need the equivalent of 19 LARGE eggs worth!

Eggs have their place but they certainly ain't no replacement.

Stick to meat good sir.
VanillaGorillaIcon...23-03-2015 @ 17:48 
the UK's leading expert in bio mechanics
Member 1973, 7379 posts
McMuffin_Gains said:Not sure if srs..

IMO - In a word - No.

If I ate 250g of quality mince (15%) (a modest amount) I would get approx. 65g of Protein in 625 kCal

To equal that protein intake you would need to consume 11 LARGE eggs at 858 kCal and also the amount of cholesterol would be 9 times higher!

If you wanted to avoid the cholesterol you could use Egg whites, but they taste s**t without the yoke and would need the equivalent of 19 LARGE eggs worth!

Stick to meat good sir.

What's wrong with cholesterol?
PhillippeHalterIcon...23-03-2015 @ 17:53 
Are horror films healthy...?
Member 5449, 2203 posts
I'm sure for somebody out there they would be the perfect substitute...

Nobody who doesn't know you can really answer that question with any real confidence

Having said that...

I'm going to say Yes absolutely!

Next question Wink
PhillippeHalterIcon...23-03-2015 @ 17:54 
Member 5449, 2203 posts
Sometimes I do substitute natural yogurt and soft dates for eggs...
b_rexIcon...23-03-2015 @ 17:57 
jogging bottoms are like sweat pants
Member 935, 972 posts
SQ 220, BP 120, DL 227.5
567.5 kgs @ 97.6kgs UnEq
McMuffin_Gains said:Not sure if srs..

IMO - In a word - No.

Stick to meat good sir.

There is zero connection between dietary cholesterol and cholesterol in your blood. The whole "egg yolks raise cholesterol" is based on a really badly designed epidemiological study from the 50s and has been debunked over and over again.
JackRevansIcon...23-03-2015 @ 17:59 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
so do eggs contain all of the nutrients of meat?
PhillippeHalterIcon...23-03-2015 @ 18:02 
Member 5449, 2203 posts
JackRevans said:so do eggs contain all of the nutrients of meat?

Also what is meat?
JackRevansIcon...23-03-2015 @ 18:05 
Member 2477, 16481 posts
SQ 190, BP 130, DL 235
555.0 kgs @ 83kgs UnEq
PhillippeHalter said:
Also what is meat?

i think its a kind of pontoon but im not sure
VanillaGorillaIcon...23-03-2015 @ 18:07 
Member 1973, 7379 posts
b_rex said:
There is zero connection between dietary cholesterol and cholesterol in your blood. The whole "egg yolks raise cholesterol" is based on a really badly designed epidemiological study from the 50s and has been debunked over and over again.

To further this, there is a connection between dietary and blood borne cholesterol, but it is 'not significant' and appears to vary depending on the individual's genetic predisposition.

Saying that eggs have 9 times the cholesterol isn't really the point either, as cholesterol isn't simply cholesterol (HDL, LDL and T in brief terms) in the same way that carbohydrate isn't simply carbohydrate etc. Moreover, saturated fat consumption has now been more closely linked to CHD than cholesterol consumption, amongst other conditions, and the BHF guidelines have now been adjusted to reflect this.

In addition, cholesterol is about to be removed from the USA Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee 'nutrient of concern' list, in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence that cholesterol is virtually harmless in all but the most extreme cases. Most 'old' guidelines are based on a 1999 study that has sonce been widely discredited.

Having said that, no, I would not substitute eggs for meat on a total basis.
McMuffin_GainsIcon...23-03-2015 @ 18:14 
Member 5366, 1090 posts
b_rex said:

VanillaGorilla said:
What's wrong with cholesterol?

I never said there was anything wrong, I know that sat/trans fats are far worse than cholesterol. My reasoning was I seem to recall been taught (OK I'm probably wrong Roll-Eyes ) That a healthy diet should contain no more than 300mg/day whereas 11 eggs contains over 2g.

Besides, who wants to eat 11 eggs when you can eat steak? Grin

I'm sure one of you will kindly bulldoze my logic for me!

As for nutrient values, although a nominal amount, beef contains natural creatine, can't say whether eggs do or don't?
VanillaGorillaIcon...23-03-2015 @ 18:19 
Member 1973, 7379 posts
McMuffin_Gains said:
I never said there was anything wrong, I know that sat/trans fats are far worse than cholesterol. My reasoning was I seem to recall been taught (OK I'm probably wrong Roll-Eyes ) That a healthy diet should contain no more than 300mg/day whereas 11 eggs contains over 2g.
Besides, who wants to eat 11 eggs when you can eat steak? Grin
I'm sure one of you will kindly bulldoze my logic for me!
As for nutrient values, although a nominal amount, beef contains natural creatine, can't say whether eggs do or don't?

Firstly, yes you were taught wrong, we all were Unhappy Those figures are largely nonsense (although they were based on a total nutritional intake of 2400kcals per day, so would be multiplied up to some extent anyway) but that leads onto a second point. Even saying that cholesterol is not bad for you (actually people need to go the other way and learn that it is actively GOOD for you, particularly for immune system, cell membrane creation etc etc) we are talking about a diet 'type' that for the majority of overweight and fat people on this site, isn't healthy anyway...
McMuffin_GainsIcon...23-03-2015 @ 18:26 
Member 5366, 1090 posts
VanillaGorilla said:
we are talking about a diet 'type' that for the majority of overweight and fat people on this site, isn't healthy anyway...

Are you relating to the fact that regardless of eggs or meat, consuming such a large quantity as many of us do is not particularly healthy?

Surely it's just as unhealthy for the Ectomorph? All that unseen damage?
VanillaGorillaIcon...23-03-2015 @ 18:29 
Member 1973, 7379 posts
McMuffin_Gains said:
Are you relating to the fact that regardless of eggs or meat, consuming such a large quantity as many of us do is not particularly healthy?
Surely it's just as unhealthy for the Ectomorph? All that unseen damage?

I'm talking about the 'typical' diet in it's entirety of many here.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions