REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 1 member and 77 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.
You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWUS World Records

WUS World Records

Users viewing topic: & 3 Guests

123456789101112131415161718

SamthepigmanIconWUS World Records10-04-2020 @ 20:28 
Avatar
See You Next Tuesday
Member 2254, 3206 posts
SQ 200, BP 165, DL 300
665.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
What's your opinion on the whole situation?

Basically allowing athletes to set word records, in the own facilities, in perfect conditions and not in an official competition (live streaming the attempts).

In my opinion it sucks that the virus has canceled so many comps, but allowing people to set records outside of competition is opening a Pandora's box for bogus world records.
AdamTIcon...10-04-2020 @ 21:19 
AKA Big Rory Gibberish
Member 4056, 5009 posts
I'm fine with it

Calibrated weights, a ref and experienced commentators

Thor will pull 501 on May 2nd

He's looking beastly
LessThanLukeIcon...10-04-2020 @ 21:46 
Avatar
his poor male ego must be crushed
Member 883, 6138 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 410
880.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Not sure ho-w I feel about it as my gym will be participating hah.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...10-04-2020 @ 21:55 
Avatar
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2790 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Brian Shaw posted a good answer to it all in his video on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/hzsoYquwbWM
DeanW92Icon...10-04-2020 @ 23:21 
Member 4496, 1443 posts
SQ 240, BP 200, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
The thing is, eddie did 500 at europes, if it got cancelled could he have done it 6 months later or was it something he only had one shot at? He got very close to the log record but never tried again. With that in mind its easy to see why athletes are taking there chances if they feel that they are in the right shape and might not be able to reach those standards again.

The next competition now might be worlds where a torn hamstring or a nerve problem in the shoulder is all it takes to stop any possible future attempt at those records or simply being past there career peak
mark_f1Icon...11-04-2020 @ 00:31 
not actually strong
Member 5779, 811 posts
SQ 220, BP 150, DL 285
655.0 kgs @ 105kgs Eq
I understand both sides, but I'm getting bored about hearing about the 500, so hope it is beaten. Yes its an absolutely godly lift, and in this defence he said he would do this prior to lockdown, so it's not like hes decided to do bit whilst there's potential to "cheat".

Strongman use to be all about weird events etc.
It'd be nice to see some variety, and oddball events again.
93hopkinsonrIcon...11-04-2020 @ 01:38 
Avatar
Mr.Potato deadlift
Member 2675, 3893 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 300
780.0 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 11.04.2020 @ 01:43 AM by 93hopkinsonr
I donít think records that are set in athletes own gyms should count and agree with Shaw that itís opening a Pandoraís box.

Having said that, if I were one of the athletes who was given this opportunity, Iíd most definitely be taking it.

Also - nice to be talking about this instead of Coronavirus.
danbaseleyIcon...11-04-2020 @ 06:09 
Avatar
A member for 6 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 3452 posts
SQ 160, BP 102.5, DL 215
477.5 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Eddie Hall has started a b**ching and moaning campaign on social media about this.

Predicated by a racist statement about people from Iceland which he has had to swiftly backpedal from.

Book-ended by some concern trolling about the implications of spreading coronavirus to people specifically attending Thor's gym (although he has failed to address Brian Shawn's seemingly live-in bench buddy and hype bro in his latest videos).

The world has changed. This could be how it is for the next 12-18 months.

I think, deep down, that Hall must secretly love this.

He is Thor's Captain Ahab. He spends half his life trolling him. His dullard fans have been complaining that beating the record by 1kg is not enough: because, er, that's not how records work any more, apparently.

He will now be able to cry foul from the rafters about the validity of any record - and therfore get what he seems to want above all else: a reason to remain relevant.
SamthepigmanIcon...11-04-2020 @ 06:43 
Avatar
See You Next Tuesday
Member 2254, 3206 posts
SQ 200, BP 165, DL 300
665.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 11.04.2020 @ 06:54 AM by Samthepigman
danbaseley said:
He will now be able to cry foul from the rafters about the validity of any record - and therfore get what he seems to want above all else: a reason to remain relevant.


The thing is, once this goes ahead, EVERYONE will be concerned about foul play. You may be able to trust one person to do it fairly, but not everyone. I've seen people who have cheated / attempted to cheat in competition, wearing a deadlift suit under their clothes in a competition where suits were banned.

Also, can anyone confirm if Eddie competed in the rest of the competition after his deadlift record? I can't remember.

P.s. I like them both (Thor and Eddie)
KevC86Icon...11-04-2020 @ 07:38 
Avatar
Naps, family time and good food.
Member 5141, 3251 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
I don't like the idea, that said i don't see how it is much different to the "record breakers" days that often seem to pop up, they are gym lifts not performed in a comp, often with a potentially biased referee.

It is baffingly hypocritical for Eddie to be complaining about it after so much was done to support his 500kg lift, always feels a stretch to think of the deadlift champs as a comp in their own right. And even more ridiculous when you think back to his silver dollar record done in a book store.

I think the one with the most potential for controversy is Luke and the log press.
The record has stood years and been failed by some cracking pressers. He seems furthest from the record compared to other athletes making attempts and (as previous records show) the lock out on log press is often debated even in comp conditions, done in his shed and officiated by his brother (presumably) it has the potential to be very controversial.
danbaseleyIcon...11-04-2020 @ 08:17 
Avatar
A member for 6 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 3452 posts
SQ 160, BP 102.5, DL 215
477.5 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Samthepigman said:
The thing is, once this goes ahead, EVERYONE will be concerned about foul play. You may be able to trust one person to do it fairly, but not everyone. I've seen people who have cheated / attempted to cheat in competition, wearing a deadlift suit under their clothes in a competition where suits were banned.
Also, can anyone confirm if Eddie competed in the rest of the competition after his deadlift record? I can't remember.
P.s. I like them both (Thor and Eddie)


No - I don't think he did. He was bleeding out of his eyes and went into a seizure shortly thereafter, according to him.
NimbleIcon...11-04-2020 @ 08:32 
Avatar
woefully weak
Member 4748, 1135 posts
SQ 157, BP 133, DL 260
550.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
KevC86 said:I don't like the idea, that said i don't see how it is much different to the "record breakers" days that often seem to pop up, they are gym lifts not performed in a comp, often with a potentially biased referee.

It is baffingly hypocritical for Eddie to be complaining about it after so much was done to support his 500kg lift, always feels a stretch to think of the deadlift champs as a comp in their own right. And even more ridiculous when you think back to his silver dollar record done in a book store.

I think the one with the most potential for controversy is Luke and the log press.
The record has stood years and been failed by some cracking pressers. He seems furthest from the record compared to other athletes making attempts and (as previous records show) the lock out on log press is often debated even in comp conditions, done in his shed and officiated by his brother (presumably) it has the potential to be very controversial.


I feel like Luke himself will be very up front about this though. He replied to Eddieís Instagram expressing this kind of sentiment
93hopkinsonrIcon...11-04-2020 @ 09:55 
Avatar
Mr.Potato deadlift
Member 2675, 3893 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 300
780.0 kgs @ 103kgs UnEq
KevC86 said:I don't like the idea, that said i don't see how it is much different to the "record breakers" days that often seem to pop up, they are gym lifts not performed in a comp, often with a potentially biased referee.


One of the main differences here would be that more than one athlete can attempt the record if they throw their name into the hat.

With the deadlift, perhaps Thor is the only one who is close at the moment, other than Ivan Makarov which initiates less controversy, although Hall has done a good job with that himself.

The log record is a strange one. With a few men able to have a good stab at the record including Stoltman, Hicks, Biby and possibly others, itís seems unfair to allow only one man to attempt to break the record.
LessThanLukeIcon...11-04-2020 @ 11:05 
Avatar
his poor male ego must be crushed
Member 883, 6138 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 410
880.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Rhianon personally is just looking at hers as some exhibition lifting for some excitement and something to watch for people during the virus.
Plus promotion of course.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...11-04-2020 @ 11:19 
Avatar
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2790 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
LessThanLuke said:Rhianon personally is just looking at hers as some exhibition lifting for some excitement and something to watch for people during the virus.
Plus promotion of course.


Very sensible.

Something to train towards, a bit of fun and a new challenge too.

123456789101112131415161718

You are here: HomeForumGeneral BullshitWUS World Records
© Sugden Barbell 2020 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto