REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 2 members and 139 guests

WSM alleged corruption by WUS.

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

123

BigMaccaIcon...24-05-2022 @ 21:59 
Avatar
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9942 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 24.05.2022 @ 22:00 PM by BigMacca
jt said:Lol at anyone surprised by this

This.

Can't quite get my head around people doing mental gymnastics to justify it though (not the retainer bit, the event rigging/group manipulation stuff)

It's been going on forever.

How many times did you see Holland's or Felix get a squat event in a WSM heat/group stage for example?

As a sport wanting to be taken seriously, it's devastating.

As a TV Show/Promotion, it all makes perfect sense.

Top level strongman is more WWE sports entertainment than it is an actual sport
PeteHodgsonIcon...24-05-2022 @ 22:05 
Avatar
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
Mikeneto said:He is Scottish and the giant Live was in Scotland, he doesn't need to say random s**t to get him off his back. He was speaking frankly with a friend.

The latest Stoltman youtube is damage limitation which seems to be working on you.


Iím just thinking out loud really. Itís hardly the political scandal of the year is it. I just donít see which comps have been made easier for him. And the only comp with qualifying groups is WSM which is seeded based on previous comp results so isnít rigged.
Thatís how I see it.
Not gonna lose sleep over it tbh.
SamthepigmanIcon...24-05-2022 @ 22:08 
Avatar
See You Next Tuesday
Member 2254, 3824 posts
SQ 240, BP 165, DL 300
705.0 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
I don't understand the who har really.

It's like Luke said, the best athletes get paid the most to compete, and those who perform best throughout the year get better groups in the WSM quals, which makes sense. As you don't want to end up with Shaw, licis, nova, Tom Luke etc all in the same group and a bunch of nobody's in another

Loz said that the events for WSM almost mirror the events of WSM 2015 when Shaw won. Are they favouring Shaw? Who is an entity of his own in regards to strongman and federations
danbaseleyIcon...25-05-2022 @ 08:21 
Avatar
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4473 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
Samthepigman said:I don't understand the who har really.

It's like Luke said, the best athletes get paid the most to compete, and those who perform best throughout the year get better groups in the WSM quals, which makes sense. As you don't want to end up with Shaw, licis, nova, Tom Luke etc all in the same group and a bunch of nobody's in another

Loz said that the events for WSM almost mirror the events of WSM 2015 when Shaw won. Are they favouring Shaw? Who is an entity of his own in regards to strongman and federations


100% correct.

Also, anyone who thinks Mark Boyd did this in some sort of altruistic moment of conscience - the night before the first day of his biggest rival's competition - is a fool.

This not only unsettles the WSM competitors, but also - I assume - makes WUS competitors wonder what communication will be kept/secretly recorded for future blackmailing, sorry, "business" opportunities.
PeteHodgsonIcon...25-05-2022 @ 08:39 
Avatar
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
BigMacca said:
This.
Can't quite get my head around people doing mental gymnastics to justify it though (not the retainer bit, the event rigging/group manipulation stuff)
It's been going on forever.
How many times did you see Holland's or Felix get a squat event in a WSM heat/group stage for example?
As a sport wanting to be taken seriously, it's devastating.
As a TV Show/Promotion, it all makes perfect sense.
Top level strongman is more WWE sports entertainment than it is an actual sport

Exactly. Every year the big deadlifters have got a deadlift in their heat, while the squatters get a squat event (usually, although not in Lukeís case ironically)
This years WSM seems fairer than usual, having the same events for each heat.
PaulSavageIcon...25-05-2022 @ 09:10 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
Samthepigman said:I don't understand the who har really.

It's like Luke said, the best athletes get paid the most to compete, and those who perform best throughout the year get better groups in the WSM quals, which makes sense. As you don't want to end up with Shaw, licis, nova, Tom Luke etc all in the same group and a bunch of nobody's in another

Loz said that the events for WSM almost mirror the events of WSM 2015 when Shaw won. Are they favouring Shaw? Who is an entity of his own in regards to strongman and federations

Similar but major difference is it's not 2015. They are indeed good events for Brian, however they are extremely good events for Tom, he basically can't lose unless he royally f**ks up.
macrothIcon...25-05-2022 @ 09:29 
Avatar
no longer the Swiss Deadlift record holder
Member 3517, 3367 posts
SQ 182.5, BP 122.5, DL 255
560.0 kgs @ 90kgs UnEq
PeteHodgson said:
having the same events for each heat.


Seems ludicrous that this isn't always the case, but whatevs.
PeteHodgsonIcon...25-05-2022 @ 09:34 
Avatar
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
macroth said:
Seems ludicrous that this isn't always the case, but whatevs.


Agreed.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...25-05-2022 @ 11:03 
Avatar
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
I posted this in the other thread...

Bit of a s**tty thing to do really, recording what I assume is a private converation and the releasing it... I'm sure Luke will be delighted that he is the one talking about a day or 2 before worlds. Cheers.

Secondly, are we surpised? We have heard rumours for years how the golden boy is looked after better, or somehow events are suited to the current champ or fave. People said it for years about Z, there has been a ton of stuff said about Ed being looked after. It is not new.

Colin Quagmire Byrce is a smart man, a business man, and wants to make worlds as big as possible, and of course, make loads of cash. The current big names will always attract more paying fans, so it is normal.


Update...

I have seen Lukes new video explaining what he said and thought etc. I'm not surprised by his words.

I imagine there is a bit of an overlap of the videos really, but again, why is any of us longstanding fans surprised? It is a business, they are all, but it is just that the title of WSM has more prestige and recogintion than any of the other big shows. That is a fact.
PaulSavageIcon...25-05-2022 @ 12:08 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
PeteHodgson said:Athletes being on some sort of retainer seems fair enough. But rigging comps to suit them is a bit off. However, how would this work if thereís several athletes being paid if theyíre in the same comps? Also, does anyone think any of the recent comps have suited either Stoltman over anyone else?
I actually thought the events at this years WSM did the opposite. No max log. Run in on stones to perhaps take away Toms advantage. Flintsone press to suit others like Licis, Bish etc.
Plus the grip event doesnít play to the strengths of either Stoltman.
Unless this year WSM are Ďhelpingí someone else.
However, this has been done before in comps hasnít it? Straps for frame carry to suit Big Z more for example.
So, as JT said, we shouldnít be surprised. Just sounds like this WUS fella stirring it for his own gain.

You are way off on the events, they don't suit Martins, they massively suit Tom. Martins is actually not that great at flintstone lift, he's struggled an the best we have seen from him has been 25kg down on what we have seen from Tom. Tom loves the event, looks to be his best overhead and he could even possibly win it. Also wrong on the run in's, they actually favour tom as he's very good at front carrys and loading, basically the best in the world at both. Tom's training with the run in's have looked completely effortless, one motioning every stone to 200kg easy an run in's looking really comfortable. The final events are absolutely perfect for Tom, he's very good at every single event. Again he's great at medleys and front carries, an also pretty damn good at yoke now so the box to yoke medley suits him big time. Car deadlift should be his best deadlift as it suits the taller and heavier guys due to being on a pivot point, it's essentially lighter the taller you are and you can also use your weight to your advantage (think of a drag) an his deadlift has come on a lot. Truck pull, also a perfect event for Tom, again height and weight go in his favour and he's been winning these kind of events against everyone comfortably. Powerstairs with run in is again a perfect event for Tom, very strong in that position, again the height for the steps and again run in's suit tom as he's a fast mover, big strides etc Obviously got to actually get the job done but unless he's sick or injured or something he pretty much can't lose.
PeteHodgsonIcon...25-05-2022 @ 12:45 
Avatar
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11338 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:
You are way off on the events, they don't suit Martins, they massively suit Tom. Martins is actually not that great at flintstone lift, he's struggled an the best we have seen from him has been 25kg down on what we have seen from Tom. Tom loves the event, looks to be his best overhead and he could even possibly win it. Also wrong on the run in's, they actually favour tom as he's very good at front carrys and loading, basically the best in the world at both. Tom's training with the run in's have looked completely effortless, one motioning every stone to 200kg easy an run in's looking really comfortable. The final events are absolutely perfect for Tom, he's very good at every single event. Again he's great at medleys and front carries, an also pretty damn good at yoke now so the box to yoke medley suits him big time. Car deadlift should be his best deadlift as it suits the taller and heavier guys due to being on a pivot point, it's essentially lighter the taller you are and you can also use your weight to your advantage (think of a drag) an his deadlift has come on a lot. Truck pull, also a perfect event for Tom, again height and weight go in his favour and he's been winning these kind of events against everyone comfortably. Powerstairs with run in is again a perfect event for Tom, very strong in that position, again the height for the steps and again run in's suit tom as he's a fast mover, big strides etc Obviously got to actually get the job done but unless he's sick or injured or something he pretty much can't lose.


Fair enough. Maybe it is tilted in his favour then. Didnít know Tom was good at behind the neck jerk as Iíve not seen much footage. I agree Licis doesnít look as good as I thought he would do.
PaulSavageIcon...25-05-2022 @ 14:06 
Member 2775, 6927 posts
PeteHodgson said:
Fair enough. Maybe it is tilted in his favour then. Didnít know Tom was good at behind the neck jerk as Iíve not seen much footage. I agree Licis doesnít look as good as I thought he would do.

Martins is a bit of a weird one as his training style is such that he is always fatigued in training, which is how you should be but he maybe goes a little overboard, most likely thinking I'm going to out work everyone else an train the events more so be more skilled, which again is largely correct. However I personally think he maybe goes a little too high on the load and frequency at the same time an does often have injuries because of this (pretty sure he's got some shoulder and hip issues currently). Either way it means he's often in a high state of fatigue which means any speed and explosive events are very difficult. Thus may explain why his worst event is the most explosive event in strongman (throwing) and why he's struggled so much with another explosive event in the behind the neck jerk.

The above said, after the deload and rest before the comp he of course is a different man an a great performer in contest so I'm sure he will do well. Could certainly be on the podium.
The_Lone_WolfIcon...25-05-2022 @ 15:16 
Avatar
I eat a lot of meat
Member 5124, 2996 posts
SQ 245, BP 130, DL 275
650.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
PaulSavage said:

The above said, after the deload and rest before the comp he of course is a different man an a great performer in contest so I'm sure he will do well. Could certainly be on the podium.




100% agree!!!! He is a big time show pony and he has the ability to switch it on and perform better on the big stage. Certainly not one to write off!
unit94Icon...25-05-2022 @ 17:22 
Avatar
what is everyone's fran time?
Member 3986, 10443 posts
SQ 340, BP 200, DL 400
940.0 kgs @ 129kgs Eq
PaulSavage said:
You are way off on the events, they don't suit Martins, they massively suit Tom. Martins is actually not that great at flintstone lift, he's struggled an the best we have seen from him has been 25kg down on what we have seen from Tom. Tom loves the event, looks to be his best overhead and he could even possibly win it. Also wrong on the run in's, they actually favour tom as he's very good at front carrys and loading, basically the best in the world at both. Tom's training with the run in's have looked completely effortless, one motioning every stone to 200kg easy an run in's looking really comfortable. The final events are absolutely perfect for Tom, he's very good at every single event. Again he's great at medleys and front carries, an also pretty damn good at yoke now so the box to yoke medley suits him big time. Car deadlift should be his best deadlift as it suits the taller and heavier guys due to being on a pivot point, it's essentially lighter the taller you are and you can also use your weight to your advantage (think of a drag) an his deadlift has come on a lot. Truck pull, also a perfect event for Tom, again height and weight go in his favour and he's been winning these kind of events against everyone comfortably. Powerstairs with run in is again a perfect event for Tom, very strong in that position, again the height for the steps and again run in's suit tom as he's a fast mover, big strides etc Obviously got to actually get the job done but unless he's sick or injured or something he pretty much can't lose.


Is there a vid of Tom hitting 230kg overhead?
MikenetoIcon...26-05-2022 @ 08:17 
End of an era.
Member 4646, 1964 posts
Post Edited: 26.05.2022 @ 08:19 AM by Mikeneto
It is in an eating YouTube they done about a week ago or so ..only shows it quickly and you have to count the plates yourself.

Saying that...I think that physio guy will see Martins and he will do 15kg more than training. Like Novikov he is that guy

123

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions