REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 62 guests
Powerlifting Advertising. Strongman Advertising.

UK's Strongest Man u105kg 2011

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

12345678910 ... ... 3233343536373839404142

terryhollandsIcon...13-07-2011 @ 14:06 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
JC said:
1stly, if you want to win the deadlift medley, you wont be using straps!

I already gave a suggestion to eliminate this! it's not that heavy so grip shouldn't really be an issue

JC said:
Maxle (which a lot of guys DOH to the belly) is definitely taxing on grip

I would disagree as most guys won't be going much over 150kg. IMO the top 105's shouldn't have an issue gripping that kind of weight

JC said:
Arm-arm (with very thich rope) is VERY grip heavy

This one will be tough, no doubt about that!

JC said:
Farmers (slightly thicker handle, if they are the 2009 farmers...which I suspect they are?) at 150 is very grip heavy

They are different farmers and the handles are normal bar thickness as I posted earlier.

JC said:
The comp is what it is, I think for people I speak to , the main problem is the guy who selected the events has the best grip in the country (at 105) and is one of the best movers in a comp with only one or two (of 9) static events

I'm not gonna argue that the person selecting the events perhaps shouldn't be (much like the heavyweight UK's has been) but I don't think the events are unfair in anyway! There are 2 pressing events which Are no Pauls strongest area, he is beatable on a fair few of the events. I'm not saying it is right or defending Paul just I feel the events are pretty fair and they are all normal strongman events. There is a real mixture of events so everyone will have good and bad events.

Just to clarify I'm not having a go at you JC just I feel people are getting pissed off for no reason! I don't see that Paul is unbeatable at this comp if everyone turns up in good shape
JCIcon...13-07-2011 @ 14:08 
technical retard
Member 172, 36833 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
Ben_F said:"The comp is what it is, I think for people I speak to , the main problem is the guy who selected the events has the best grip in the country (at 105) and is one of the best movers in a comp with only one or two (of 9) static events"

Millsy picked the events! Eek

LOL.....he would have done very well I'd imagine. Although tyre flip isnt his 'best' event! Paul is exceptional on the tyre.....he ran Terry very close at Londons/BSM u105 2009
terryhollandsIcon...13-07-2011 @ 14:13 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
JC said:
LOL.....he would have done very well I'd imagine. Although tyre flip isnt his 'best' event! Paul is exceptional on the tyre.....he ran Terry very close at Londons/BSM u105 2009

with me not trying ;-)
JCIcon...13-07-2011 @ 14:16 
technical retard
Member 172, 36833 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 335
850.0 kgs @ 108kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:
I'm not gonna argue that the person selecting the events perhaps shouldn't be (much like the heavyweight UK's has been) but I don't think the events are unfair in anyway! There are 2 pressing events which Are no Pauls strongest area, he is beatable on a fair few of the events. I'm not saying it is right or defending Paul just I feel the events are pretty fair and they are all normal strongman events. There is a real mixture of events so everyone will have good and bad events.
Just to clarify I'm not having a go at you JC just I feel people are getting pissed off for no reason! I don't see that Paul is unbeatable at this comp if everyone turns up in good shape

Some very vlaid points Terry

I personally, dont think Paul is beatable with these events

He's the best tyre flipper in the country
He's the best at arm-arm
He is one of only 2-3 guys who can do the deadlift medley strapless, and he is superb with the frame (why you need to move with it is beyone me!)
He's the best at farmers
He is advantaged in that loading is too very high (and he's very tall) and has weekely access to the finger

I would say, from the above, AT LEAST 5 of the 9 events really favour him (lets not be stupid here though, whatever the events, Paul would be top couple, as he is a phenomenal strongman)

I just feel as defending champion, and as a guy respected by the 105 lads, he could have used a bit more impartiallity in selecting the events

If Paul is reading this, and he honestly feels he hasnt picked events that favour his strengths, then I apologise for my misjudgement

I've said my peace, so wont say anymore about the events
jtIcon...13-07-2011 @ 14:21 
old age traveller
Member 332, 7691 posts
paul is without doubt a very good strongman

but if he wants to be considered great he has to do a comp not in his back yard

with events he did not pick and with no doubts surrounding the weigh-in

and of course win it
terryhollandsIcon...13-07-2011 @ 14:25 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
JC said:
Some very vlaid points Terry
I personally, dont think Paul is beatable with these events
He's the best tyre flipper in the country
He's the best at arm-arm
He is one of only 2-3 guys who can do the deadlift medley strapless, and he is superb with the frame (why you need to move with it is beyone me!)
He's the best at farmers
He is advantaged in that loading is too very high (and he's very tall) and has weekely access to the finger
I would say, from the above, AT LEAST 5 of the 9 events really favour him (lets not be stupid here though, whatever the events, Paul would be top couple, as he is a phenomenal strongman)
I just feel as defending champion, and as a guy respected by the 105 lads, he could have used a bit more impartiallity in selecting the events
If Paul is reading this, and he honestly feels he hasnt picked events that favour his strengths, then I apologise for my misjudgement
I've said my peace, so wont say anymore about the events

You are entitled to your opinion mate! I know he will be tough to beat but IMO he is beatable!

The loading I agree was on the high side and we talked about it saturday and it should be more of a sensible height on the day!

The tire flip he will be tough to beat but not impossible, same with arm over arm!

honestly mate he hasn't touched the finger at all and anyone is welcome to come down anytime they like! I train sat and Paul on a sunday so although i know a long travel the offer is there.

I actually agree on the frame but this has been done in some super series events one which I actually did myself not so long ago.
PeteHodgsonIcon...13-07-2011 @ 14:31 
Has little understanding of the sugden
Member 677, 11192 posts
SQ 165, BP 125, DL 220
510.0 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
It's a shame Paul wasn't at the Englands then us northerners could have seen him in action. Is he doing the Brits in a few weeks?
The thing is, if you want to beat him you're gonna have to get close on his best events. I don't see much arm over arm or tyre training going on in peoples journals to be honest.
martinbIcon...13-07-2011 @ 14:37 
Grass fed
Member 1147, 7710 posts
SQ 220, BP 185, DL 272.5
677.5 kgs @ 113kgs UnEq
PeteHodgson said:It's a shame Paul wasn't at the Englands then us northerners could have seen him in action. Is he doing the Brits in a few weeks?
The thing is, if you want to beat him you're gonna have to get close on his best events. I don't see much arm over arm or tyre training going on in peoples journals to be honest.

The way you guys are describing Woods, wouldn't he be very tough to beat regardless of the events? JC describes him as the best, at basically every moving event

and that deadlift medley is pretty standard, seen it done a number of times with a frame for 5m to finish, I think its pretty cool

and I love events like tyre flip and arm over arm, cause a big deadlift or squat ain't gonna make you awesome at either, you need to train them and figure out the tech
mikehowarthIcon...13-07-2011 @ 14:40 
Not so much as forgotten as can't remember
Member 894, 4924 posts
SQ 245, BP 167.5, DL 272.5
685.0 kgs @ 100kgs UnEq
Jc your posts today are great, you are making valid points in an extremely balanced and respectful manner, absolutely spot on my man!

Pete you're right about the arm over arm too, one qualifier and one national event means it needs to be done at least monthly and trained consistently

If you come to osg one afternoon or weekend (middayish) we could be consistently average together!
hixxy1985Icon...13-07-2011 @ 14:47 
www.grahamhicks.co.uk
Member 994, 9592 posts
SQ 330, BP 250, DL 405
985.0 kgs @ 135kgs UnEq
Well, this banter is usually to be expected Roll-Eyes

Lets not 'kill' this comp now fellas. The events are SET, and as far as I know or am aware all the athletes are decided?
There are valid points being made by every1 but this comp is what it is and my one and only flaw or fault is that I wish we knew these events sooner because the implements are a little harder to train than most. So takes some effort to find where to do them when you live in middle of nowhere!

I hope its a good comp like last year and Terry doesnt come smelling of vodka this year Grin
Ben_FIcon...13-07-2011 @ 14:52 
vegetarian with a big deadlift - who would have thought...
Member 340, 13300 posts
SQ 315, BP 190, DL 350
855.0 kgs @ 120kgs UnEq
hixxy1985 said:The events are SET, and as far as I know or am aware all the athletes are decided?
Grin

Has everyone confirmed their entry or withdrawal via email? If not - get it done lads!
terryhollandsIcon...13-07-2011 @ 14:53 
9x WSM finalist!
Member 662, 3372 posts
hixxy1985 said:
I hope its a good comp like last year and Terry doesnt come smelling of vodka this year Grin

i can't promise anything!

with regards to the events, if i had known them i would have posted them, i have had no input this year
hixxy1985Icon...13-07-2011 @ 14:57 
www.grahamhicks.co.uk
Member 994, 9592 posts
SQ 330, BP 250, DL 405
985.0 kgs @ 135kgs UnEq
terryhollands said:
i can't promise anything!
with regards to the events, if i had known them i would have posted them, i have had no input this year

lol well its pauls doing for putting the comp on sunday when we all know saturday is the best night out Grin
MadcowdreyIcon...13-07-2011 @ 15:45 
SUGDEN SUCKS! Which is why i am here...
Member 370, 1520 posts
SQ 285, BP 185, DL 302.5
772.5 kgs @ 94kgs Eq
paul did the englands strongest man last year and did not select any of the events in that comp and he still won.. he also did the brits in 09 and won that to.. i dont think it will matter really.. i no i can beat paul on some events so if i can im sure others can.. it all comes down to who is the most all round athlete on the day
rottieIcon...13-07-2011 @ 16:32 
Member 870, 552 posts
Good luck to all the guys i think they are a great mix of events,And thats coming from someone who has terrible grip

12345678910 ... ... 3233343536373839404142

© Sugden Barbell 2021 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions - Website by Devto