REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 167 guests

Training split advise, where to stop

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

HeavySingleIconTraining split advise, where to stop17-04-2014 @ 17:30 
Member 5226, 180 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 345
860.0 kgs @ 167kgs UnEq
Hi I'm newish to strongman training and am about to start training events regularly on a Saturday. This is my current split, all advice is really welcomed

Monday- deadlift day, currently following the ed coan deadlift routine which I bas***dised a bit.
Tuesday- strict press, so something like top set 2x5 then maybe some heavier double or singles
CGBP, some seated dumbells, some triceps to finish off
Wednesday- following AMH_Power's routine for this he details in one of his threads. No assistance
Thursday- push press, something like 3x3, maybe some singles. May be doing this with a log from now on. CGBP, Incline bench 3x5, some lat work and tricep work to finish off.
Friday- squat day 2 again following AMH_Power's routine. Followed by some safety bar squats.
Saturday- event day

What do you guys think, so long as I feel I'm recovering that this is fine, or even that maybe I need more assistance work? All advice wanted.

Thanks
bezaIcon...17-04-2014 @ 18:21 
I hit a pb today with a chest infection
Member 3283, 1921 posts
I'm by no means experienced but I'd personally say there's plenty of assistance in there, wouldn't need to do tricep work twice a week (I rarely do any these days just improves with compound exercises),
Unless you want to keep an amount of bodybuilding style training in there that is.
And again me personally find it hard to do events the day after squatting an likewise deadlift the day or two after events. I like to try and space them apart a bit more if possible.
Like I said this is just my limited opinion
HeavySingleIcon...17-04-2014 @ 18:35 
Member 5226, 180 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 345
860.0 kgs @ 167kgs UnEq
beza said:I'm by no means experienced but I'd personally say there's plenty of assistance in there, wouldn't need to do tricep work twice a week (I rarely do any these days just improves with compound exercises),
Unless you want to keep an amount of bodybuilding style training in there that is.
And again me personally find it hard to do events the day after squatting an likewise deadlift the day or two after events. I like to try and space them apart a bit more if possible.
Like I said this is just my limited opinion

Thanks, sometimes I worry I don't do any real assistance work for squats, I've tried them in the past and just found no real carryover onto the actual squat itself. Thanks for input
AMH_PowerIcon...17-04-2014 @ 18:53 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
Thanks for giving my squat training method a go mate...

Don't know what to expect with hybrid strongman stuff, but don't forget you can merge a squat and a bench day, or overhead and deadlift day...

This will obviously create a spare rest day you can use prior to your events day to ensure you are fresh, as I can only imagine they are quite a toll on the lower back.

Cheers
HeavySingleIcon...17-04-2014 @ 19:01 
Member 5226, 180 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 345
860.0 kgs @ 167kgs UnEq
AMH_Power said:Thanks for giving my squat training method a go mate...

Don't know what to expect with hybrid strongman stuff, but don't forget you can merge a squat and a bench day, or overhead and deadlift day...

This will obviously create a spare rest day you can use prior to your events day to ensure you are fresh, as I can only imagine they are quite a toll on the lower back.

Cheers

Thanks I'm really glad you posted in here actually. I would happily merge 2 of the days, but as it is of now my sessions last quite a while. If you don't mind me asking what sort of assistance work do you for the big 3?

Thanks again, I've been following your log with interest
JohnIconhey17-04-2014 @ 19:18 
#biggef
Member 5263, 3492 posts
SQ 260, BP 195, DL 260
715.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
So we have a few strongman future competitors at our gym, plus the gym is owned by past strongman and they do similer to what you are a good solid strength gaining program then some actual events every so often like reping atlas stones,moving with weight is something they do a lot like yoke,farmers walk ,chain drag,and loading medleys are a welcome break from deads squats and bench Happy good luck when and were are you planing on competing?
AMH_PowerIcon...17-04-2014 @ 19:31 
we ride at dawn
Member 4363, 1442 posts
SQ 310, BP 250, DL 320
880.0 kgs @ 104kgs UnEq
HeavySingle said:
Thanks I'm really glad you posted in here actually. I would happily merge 2 of the days, but as it is of now my sessions last quite a while. If you don't mind me asking what sort of assistance work do you for the big 3?
Thanks again, I've been following your log with interest

I don't do any assistance work mate...

But, if I explain why/when to or not to do assistance (in my opinion!), it might help you design a more optimal regime for you.

Lets take bench press as an example....

3 scenarios.....

1. The bar fails to leave the chest:

Either it's too heavy by a mile, or there is a weakness in the chest.
Providing it isn't the former, then you could do two things; either isolate the muscle (better for off season/away from comps) or do a variant of the lift to emphasize this muscle (wide grip bench); better closer to comps as the carry over will be greater.

2. The lift looks decent, but you can't quite lock it out at the top:

Either the triceps are lacking, or you have practiced too long with a lighter weight (with lighter weights the bar gains speed so the force required to move the bar in motion is less, aka 'flywheel effect'.
So same story, off season; isolate the tri's... coming to comp variant of the bench; ie close grip. If it's from the zero acceleration curve/flywheel effect then maybe use some bands or chains.

Right, the next scenario is key to not wasting 1) your time, 2) effort, and more importantly 3) f**king up your recovery:

3. The bench gets half way then fails:
Do not do accessory work. Why???
Because this is where the moment/torque is at it's greatest as it is where the lever arm is the furthest away from the pivot when viewed from the lifting plane.
Basically, given everything is equal, this is where the lift should fail. So why waste time doing accessory work if everything is failing in harmony? If there is tonnes of energy to burn, do some more of the same.

I won't bore the s**t out of you with failing points/sticking points, but you can google the sticking points and then decide if them muscles need work.

Even then, mugging absolutely everything I said there off, if something is lacking a little bit I still wouldn't do accessory work, as this muscle will have to work a bit harder than the rest and so will incur the most adaptation. It's only when the other muscles aren't achieving anything as the other is so weak does it need addressing.

Follow my log mate, it's new mind, but you'll see exactly what my sessions consist of, not too dissimilar from Malanichev.

JamesHIcon...17-04-2014 @ 19:43 
my buttocks hurt
Member 337, 2119 posts
SQ 300, BP 140, DL 305
745.0 kgs @ 125kgs Eq
In a word - or two - too much!

Event training is incredibly easy to overdo. You may well get away with it in the short-term, but in the medium- to long-term you'll find increasing niggles etc.

I'd do no more than three days in the week. If you're being sensible with your events (e.g. not doing heavy yoke, stones etc week after week and keeping weights manageable) then you'll make far better progress.
HeavySingleIcon...17-04-2014 @ 20:01 
Member 5226, 180 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 345
860.0 kgs @ 167kgs UnEq
John said:So we have a few strongman future competitors at our gym, plus the gym is owned by past strongman and they do similer to what you are a good solid strength gaining program then some actual events every so often like reping atlas stones,moving with weight is something they do a lot like yoke,farmers walk ,chain drag,and loading medleys are a welcome break from deads squats and bench Happy good luck when and were are you planing on competing?

Thanks for reply. No idea mate, ill compete when I'm strong enough I guess
HeavySingleIcon...17-04-2014 @ 20:04 
Member 5226, 180 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 345
860.0 kgs @ 167kgs UnEq
In regards to James H and AMH_Power. Thanks for the replies fellers. Seems I might cut down on the assistance and concentrate on more sets of the core lifts instead. Likely ill cut a day out or two aswell.

All the input in this thread is really appreciated as I'm looking to get a good solid routine nailed down so I can stick to it and make consistent gains. Thanks boys
LessThanLukeIcon...17-04-2014 @ 20:09 
his poor male ego must be crushed
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 17.04.2014 @ 20:10 PM by LessThanLuke
AMH_Power said:
I don't do any assistance work mate...
But, if I explain why/when to or not to do assistance (in my opinion!), it might help you design a more optimal regime for you.
Lets take bench press as an example....
3 scenarios.....
1. The bar fails to leave the chest:
Either it's too heavy by a mile, or there is a weakness in the chest.
Providing it isn't the former, then you could do two things; either isolate the muscle (better for off season/away from comps) or do a variant of the lift to emphasize this muscle (wide grip bench); better closer to comps as the carry over will be greater.
2. The lift looks decent, but you can't quite lock it out at the top:
Either the triceps are lacking, or you have practiced too long with a lighter weight (with lighter weights the bar gains speed so the force required to move the bar in motion is less, aka 'flywheel effect'.
So same story, off season; isolate the tri's... coming to comp variant of the bench; ie close grip. If it's from the zero acceleration curve/flywheel effect then maybe use some bands or chains.
Right, the next scenario is key to not wasting 1) your time, 2) effort, and more importantly 3) f**king up your recovery:
3. The bench gets half way then fails:
Do not do accessory work. Why???
Because this is where the moment/torque is at it's greatest as it is where the lever arm is the furthest away from the pivot when viewed from the lifting plane.
Basically, given everything is equal, this is where the lift should fail. So why waste time doing accessory work if everything is failing in harmony? If there is tonnes of energy to burn, do some more of the same.
I won't bore the s**t out of you with failing points/sticking points, but you can google the sticking points and then decide if them muscles need work.
Even then, mugging absolutely everything I said there off, if something is lacking a little bit I still wouldn't do accessory work, as this muscle will have to work a bit harder than the rest and so will incur the most adaptation. It's only when the other muscles aren't achieving anything as the other is so weak does it need addressing.
Follow my log mate, it's new mind, but you'll see exactly what my sessions consist of, not too dissimilar from Malanichev.

I think this style of training only works for experienced lifters who have already built a solid base of both muscle and strength. Newer lifters need to gain more muscle and should all be doing assistance work in my humble opinion.
bezaIcon...17-04-2014 @ 20:24 
Member 3283, 1921 posts
HeavySingle said:
Thanks for reply. No idea mate, ill compete when I'm strong enough I guess

Looking at your stats you are strong enough
HeavySingleIcon...17-04-2014 @ 20:42 
Member 5226, 180 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 345
860.0 kgs @ 167kgs UnEq
To Luke, are there any assistance you see as key? I do the obvious when it comes to back but mainly directed at squat assistance work? I see you have a massive deadlift, what deadlift assistance works for you?

And to beza, there is a competition in June, just dubious entering a competition and getting totally wiped. I haven't really been training that long
bezaIcon...17-04-2014 @ 20:44 
Member 3283, 1921 posts
I'm in a comp next week mate and I'll be wiped the floor with. But it'll be fun!!
Just to butt in, I personally do sldl's after squat and fronties after deads
HeavySingleIcon...17-04-2014 @ 20:50 
Member 5226, 180 posts
SQ 310, BP 205, DL 345
860.0 kgs @ 167kgs UnEq
beza said:I'm in a comp next week mate and I'll be wiped the floor with. But it'll be fun!!
Just to butt in, I personally do sldl's after squat and fronties after deads

Ha fair play. I should have elaborated. I mentioned I was doing the ed coan deadlift routine but find it too much volume for one day so I do indeed do 3x5 stiff legs after squats, but that is the entirety of my squat day. No hamstring curls, quad extensions, leg press or anything like that. I should probably just commit to that comp, thanks beza. And thanks all, lots of food for thought

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions