REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 208 guests

Training at home - Advantages and Disadvantages

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

slow_lift_joeIconTraining at home - Advantages and Disadvantages26-03-2020 @ 11:06 
Interesting
Member 6186, 245 posts
With the outbreak of COVID 19 more and more fitness people, bodybuilders and strength trainers will need to train at home.

Gyms and health clubs will really need to up their game when this returns back to normal, as most are dirty and the hygiene is of a poor standard.

Whilst I appreciate training at home does not offer the best facilities in terms of equipment, there are many other advantages.

Your own bar and dumbbells.
Your own bench.
Your own rack/cage/yoke/training station.
No travelling, and no waiting for a station to be free.
You can keep it clean and it is your environment.
No fees, just the initial financial outlay.

The home gym, garage gym, bedroom gym market will be a growth market.
matthewvcIcon...26-03-2020 @ 11:46 
‘downsizing’
Member 5704, 3207 posts
SQ 280, BP 210, DL 320
810.0 kgs @ 96.3kgs UnEq
slow_lift_joe said:With the outbreak of COVID 19 more and more fitness people, bodybuilders and strength trainers will need to train at home.

Gyms and health clubs will really need to up their game when this returns back to normal, as most are dirty and the hygiene is of a poor standard.

Whilst I appreciate training at home does not offer the best facilities in terms of equipment, there are many other advantages.

Your own bar and dumbbells.
Your own bench.
Your own rack/cage/yoke/training station.
No travelling, and no waiting for a station to be free.
You can keep it clean and it is your environment.
No fees, just the initial financial outlay.

The home gym, garage gym, bedroom gym market will be a growth market.

Had a half decent setup a while back. It’s pretty good, but the advent of some decent 24 hour gym chains means the train when you want advantage is not as big now.. and of course you’ll never recreate an atmosphere like Ralls or Genesis on your own unless you open your gym up as an invite only place (like early westside)
WILLSANIcon...26-03-2020 @ 12:14 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
getting my own set up was one of the best things I ever did. only down side is atmosphere but if you have a decent TP that remedies that. although, depending on how much spent, when you first set up id guess youd be limited with equipment.

gonna be a tough time for gyms if this thing rolls on for any length of time.
BigMaccaIcon...26-03-2020 @ 13:41 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9941 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
WILLSAN said:getting my own set up was one of the best things I ever did. only down side is atmosphere but if you have a decent TP that remedies that. although, depending on how much spent, when you first set up id guess youd be limited with equipment.

gonna be a tough time for gyms if this thing rolls on for any length of time.

Same thing for me, having my setup in the garage has allowed me to continue training properly over these last few (10) years when I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

I'm very fortunate to have excellent quality kit - Eleiko power bar, Ivanko WL Bar, full competition combo rack, 8x8 lifting platform, 600kg of calibrated weight, 150kg of bumper plates, adjustable DB's up to 45kg, flat and adjustable benches, GHR, Chinning Bar and loads of other small stuff (pinch grip block, bands etc)

My garage is better equipped than pretty much every gym out there for my needs, where it isn't, my stuff is almost certainly in better condition.

The only things I miss having are some leg machines (Leg press, Leg Extension, Leg Curl etc) as I find them useful for rehabbing and keeping my knees healthy.

Con's are obvious - Not having the same atmosphere when training with a team lifters, however I'd take my garage over training solo in a normal gym everyday of the week!
dannyboy73Icon...26-03-2020 @ 13:53 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 26.03.2020 @ 13:57 PM by dannyboy73
Have only been 2 x a week at gym for 2-3 years , so figure if equipment in garage more likely to use more often..and save car journey.

mine is on its way.

received my chin bar today will install

got some plates, ez and 2 oly dumbells.. but oly bar and 140k plates on order

heavy duty bench due with dip bar

spent 600 so far but that will only be 2 years of missing gym to make the loss up.

plan to get squat rack and more plates as i go.

The gyms will fold the 100s... i expect a glut of stock impending and hope to get more equipment in 6 months for a song.
BigMaccaIcon...26-03-2020 @ 14:20 
understanding of the sport, little he has.
Member 798, 9941 posts
SQ 260, BP 150, DL 272.5
682.5 kgs @ 82.5kgs UnEq
dannyboy73 said:Have only been 2 x a week at gym for 2-3 years , so figure if equipment in garage more likely to use more often..and save car journey.

mine is on its way.

spent 600 so far but that will only be 2 years of missing gym to make the loss up.

The gyms will fold the 100s... i expect a glut of stock impending and hope to get more equipment in 6 months for a song.

I think you'll find that for a lot of the smaller/local gyms, gym subs only form a small part of their actual income.
Although, with China being shut down for so long, it's more than likely had an impact on their other source of income as well...
JohnGymIcon...26-03-2020 @ 14:52 
Hamstrings feel activated.
Member 1107, 6964 posts
SQ 220, BP 152.5, DL 252.5
625.0 kgs @ 93kgs UnEq
Cons:
Freezing in winter.

Provided these local gyms can get payment holidays on rent, and loans etc they will be fine. Everything goes on hold to be re started again when the time comes.

The lions share of income is from subs. Providing members don’t cancel and just see it out most will be fine.
jtIcon...26-03-2020 @ 15:55 
old age traveller
Member 332, 7863 posts
Post Edited: 26.03.2020 @ 16:00 PM by jt
I have had my purpose built home gym for 17 years

Great kit not f**ked up by f**ktatrds, I built the gym as I was fed up with moronic conversation.

Is there a con? probably lack of fit birds in tight leggings is that a con or a pro?
KevC86Icon...26-03-2020 @ 18:01 
Member 5141, 4186 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
I couldn't go back to training anywhere else now i don't think.

I still go elsewhere for events training but in truth that is more of a social choice than a necessity.

For what i need the garage is well equipped and I'm fortunate enough to have an income (and a wife) that allows me to buy something if i decide it is needed.

For me the biggest selling point is the convenience. Things like being able to train when my son is napping mean i can fit it in without having to sacrifice a civilised sleeping pattern.
lukiIcon...26-03-2020 @ 18:58 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
JohnGym said:Cons:
Freezing in winter.

I seem to have permanent sniffles from this.
I miss learning from other lifters and a hot sauna or jacuzzi after a tough session.

Advantage enjoying the sun. Access to eggs on toast while cooling off after training.
LessThanLukeIcon...26-03-2020 @ 20:33 
his poor male ego must be crushed
Member 883, 6251 posts
SQ 290, BP 180, DL 420
890.0 kgs @ 105kgs UnEq
JohnGym said:Cons:
Freezing in winter.

Provided these local gyms can get payment holidays on rent, and loans etc they will be fine. Everything goes on hold to be re started again when the time comes.

The lions share of income is from subs. Providing members don’t cancel and just see it out most will be fine.

Big IF regarding the holidays but I'm holding out hope for now.
umpalumpalifterIcon...28-03-2020 @ 08:48 
Member 5836, 366 posts
SQ 220, BP 137.5, DL 235
592.5 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
I have a well equipped home gym

#several bars
#trap bar
#cast iron and bumper plates
#squats stands
#kettlebells up to 56kg, many in pairs which can be used like dumbells
#pull up and Olympic ring set up
#sleds, prowlers
#clubbells
#tons of mobility bits
#airbike

The issue I have is space and typically have to haul stuff into the front room to train from its storage area.

I think in five or six months time there will be a ton of second hand stiff for sale on FB market place at bargain prices as it will be saturated. Most people aren't motivated enough with home gyms and after a few weeks it will gather dust as they need that atmosphere and routine of going to the gym.

It's quite sickening at present seeing people sell bars which are worth about £50 a month ago selling for £200+ and people asking £3 a kilo for crap plates
dannyboy73Icon...29-03-2020 @ 09:11 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
my order was cancel due to selling out...

are there any olympic plates about on the internet? i think ive tried everywhere

i have also made some extra weight with paint pots fill of stones Grin

cun@s on facebook marketplace are selling shyte sets for triple prices...
DeanW92Icon...29-03-2020 @ 10:57 
Member 4496, 1446 posts
SQ 240, BP 200, DL 300
740.0 kgs @ 112kgs UnEq
Always wanted a home gym and after having the little one its made it so that i get more time with him and can still train. I always use to train straight from work (5pm) but now i train once he has gone to sleep (8pm).

The only thing is lack of space for equipment. I was going to use my tax return this year to buy some more stuff but il need that money now to cover the bills because of no wages
samue1sonIcon...29-03-2020 @ 16:26 
Member 4416, 1369 posts
SQ 210, BP 175, DL 240
625.0 kgs @ 122kgs UnEq
dannyboy73 said:Have only been 2 x a week at gym for 2-3 years , so figure if equipment in garage more likely to use more often..and save car journey.

mine is on its way.

haha.
Just made a post the same here.

I'm wondering if anybody on here has stuff to sell and if so, how do localised couriers work? Imagine obscene pricing for single heavy delivery.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions