Who's Online - 1 member and 161 guests

Tight & sore lower back

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

KelIconTight & sore lower back29-03-2015 @ 19:36 
Member 4684, 28 posts
SQ 140, BP 117.5, DL 190
447.5 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
Evening all

I've had a sore lower back for the last month or so, particularly on the left hand side just above my pelvis. The soreness came on after squatting, but not immediately; it got progressively worse throughout the day, till the point where getting in and out of chairs was painful and difficult. Its since eased up a fair bit but still gives me discomfort in the mornings particularly just after waking up but then eases off throughout the day.

In the last 6 months ive gone from squatting once a week to three times a week and im wondering whether this combined with a lack of stretching / auxiliary exercises has lead to the tightness im experiencing. After doing a bit of reading on here, core, glutes and hams seem to be the areas in need of work.

Anyone else experienced similar issues & what are your favourite ways of training these specific areas?
BoarIcon...29-03-2015 @ 19:49 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25557 posts
Administrator
I had a similar pain , I was concerned but it eased after a week and is now totally gone after 3 , trouble is , it could be so many things , it's deffo worth paying out some £££ to get it looked at by a pro , they can do stuff to determine what's causeing it and advise what to do and what not to do.

Kisses
WiegieboardIcon...29-03-2015 @ 19:56 
as crimson as my last victims underclothing.....
Member 899, 11329 posts
SQ 180, BP 132.5, DL 190
502.5 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Kel said:Evening all

I've had a sore lower back for the last month or so, particularly on the left hand side just above my pelvis. The soreness came on after squatting, but not immediately; it got progressively worse throughout the day, till the point where getting in and out of chairs was painful and difficult. Its since eased up a fair bit but still gives me discomfort in the mornings particularly just after waking up but then eases off throughout the day.

In the last 6 months ive gone from squatting once a week to three times a week and im wondering whether this combined with a lack of stretching / auxiliary exercises has lead to the tightness im experiencing. After doing a bit of reading on here, core, glutes and hams seem to be the areas in need of work.

Anyone else experienced similar issues & what are your favourite ways of training these specific areas?

That pretty much sounds like my injury. Do strict glute work, stretch your hamstrings, glutes, psoas and hip flexor. Also work your abdominals if you don't already and are able to.
Don't take my word for it though. Refer yourself to a physio on the NHS and be honest.
KelIcon...29-03-2015 @ 20:10 
Member 4684, 28 posts
SQ 140, BP 117.5, DL 190
447.5 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
Probably should have mentioned that I went to physio on Friday. She was of the opinion that I had strained a ligament in my back and that due to this I was over compensating with other muscles to prevent any further pain and that now that its on the mend, the area is tight and lacks blood flow.

she gave me some stretches to do and said to work through the movements I usually perform but with lower weight, focusing on v strict form. but i still feel that I could be doing more to aid injury prevention in the future and not just dealing with the after affects
WiegieboardIcon...29-03-2015 @ 20:19 
Member 899, 11329 posts
SQ 180, BP 132.5, DL 190
502.5 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Kel said:Probably should have mentioned that I went to physio on Friday. She was of the opinion that I had strained a ligament in my back and that due to this I was over compensating with other muscles to prevent any further pain and that now that its on the mend, the area is tight and lacks blood flow.

she gave me some stretches to do and said to work through the movements I usually perform but with lower weight, focusing on v strict form. but i still feel that I could be doing more to aid injury prevention in the future and not just dealing with the after affects

That was why I started doing pushups (for the plank effect) and I also started to hyper extensions and abdominal work. I never go too intense on the lower back or abdominals. It's a slow build over time to strengthen all of the muscles that move my spine. Side bends may also help the area move more efficiently.
KelIcon...29-03-2015 @ 20:22 
Member 4684, 28 posts
SQ 140, BP 117.5, DL 190
447.5 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
GH raises and reverse hyper too?
WiegieboardIcon...29-03-2015 @ 20:26 
Member 899, 11329 posts
SQ 180, BP 132.5, DL 190
502.5 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Kel said:GH raises and reverse hyper too?

GHR seems to irritate my injury a little but if it works for you I'd say fire in.
The hypers on the 45 degree bench seem a little more gentle for me personally.
KelIcon...29-03-2015 @ 20:39 
Member 4684, 28 posts
SQ 140, BP 117.5, DL 190
447.5 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
Has this eased your pain?
BoarIcon...29-03-2015 @ 20:43 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25557 posts
Administrator
I have come to the conclusion that is all down to the ham strings !!

mine were tight/inflexible and during a squat the reached their limit so my body found another way to make depth , and that way strained my back !

i have been doing 4 or 5 basic stretches every day hammies/glutes/adductor/lower back and i cant say for sure but they seem to be helping as my squats are getting 'easier' to hit depth without my low back getting involved
WiegieboardIcon...29-03-2015 @ 20:44 
Member 899, 11329 posts
SQ 180, BP 132.5, DL 190
502.5 kgs @ 118kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 29.03.2015 @ 20:45 PM by Wiegieboard
Kel said:Has this eased your pain?

Yeah. I had the pain in my back and also it was developing into sciatica.
What really helped were the glute raises laying on the floor, stretching the hip flexor, the side bends and ab work. It seemed to be when I moved onto those that the pain started diminishing. After a while I added in the planking from pushups and lower back. Now I'm pain free most days though it can flare up a little from time to time.
My injury happened like 2 years ago now.

Also, like the mighty Boar said, regular stretching helps a lot.
KelIcon...29-03-2015 @ 20:51 
Member 4684, 28 posts
SQ 140, BP 117.5, DL 190
447.5 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
I do notice that at the bottom of my squat, my lower back and butt round/dip slightly further could this be a sign of tight hams/glutes?
BoarIcon...29-03-2015 @ 20:58 
Walk your talk
Member 5, 25557 posts
Administrator
i think so, all the loadbearing duties will shift and one of your poor little ligaments will be called in to action !!!
McMuffin_GainsIcon...29-03-2015 @ 22:49 
Help me rescue my Insulina.
Member 5366, 1090 posts
Whenever I suffer lower back pain it's almost certainly not my back that is to blame. Squatting will tighten up your hips, arse, hamstrings - your whole posterior chain.

I find lots of stretching of the legs, Hams, quads, groin, hips and for me more than anything the piriformis will really help relieve back pain.

There is a massive amount of muscle in your arse and legs and when all that is tight it pulls on your back overwhelming your poor little back muscles, this alone can lead to other issues when things start to overcompensate.

Get a foam roller and a lacrosse ball if you haven't already. Learn how to use them properly. And get a decent sports massage or 10, it will do you wonders.

You MAY have an injury, it's impossible for any of us to say but I'm willing to bet it's related to your muscle tightness and not from squatting alone
KelIcon...29-03-2015 @ 23:12 
Member 4684, 28 posts
SQ 140, BP 117.5, DL 190
447.5 kgs @ 89kgs UnEq
I cannot pin point a particular time that I felt my back 'go'. It felt like a progressive tightening and perhaps the gradual tightening of certain muscles has lead to this. I'll get on the stretching scene and see what happens. Thanks for all your help
PhillippeHalterIcon...29-03-2015 @ 23:35 
Are horror films healthy...?
Member 5449, 2203 posts
I've had similar wear and tear around my sacroiliac jiont

I also like to stretch and find I am suffering with less pain as a result

My improvement of lower back pain has gone from 7.5 to 3.5 out of 10 in six months or so

Are you allowed to stretch? Do you stretch enough? Is there any reason you don't or shouldn't? Do you suffer with immobility or inflexibility? Is your technique when lifting consistent? Do you perform appropriate warm ups and cool downs?

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions