REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 168 guests

Suspend Parliament...Now what ?

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

umpalumpalifterIcon...25-09-2019 @ 18:20 
Member 5836, 366 posts
SQ 220, BP 137.5, DL 235
592.5 kgs @ 80kgs UnEq
What's people's thoughts on the proposition the EU will implode if/when Britain leaves.

As we are one of the larger economic nations its been proposed we only get back around a quarter of the money invested in it. If we leave Germany or France will need to prop it up more leading to economic pressures in their country or other smaller states suddenly not having funding.

Will this increase the strength of the pound and off setting any worse trade deal we actually get?

Can the EU survive without Britain, Germany or France funding it?
WILLSANIcon...25-09-2019 @ 20:25 
Trump will get another four years
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
the only way the eu can survive with or without us is with closer integration - a 'united states of europe'.

the way the euro was set up sucks the wealth of all the eu states towards germany which is why the pigs nations are struggling so much and cant seem to get out of the hole they are in. we are very fortunate we kept the pound.

I believe there are only two ways it can go - fourth reich or break up.

with the anti eu movements in italy and hungary and the civil unrest in france plus brexit I think a break up is most likely.

to me, its insane that people think there is a economic utopia waiting for us if we remain in the eu. its a sinking ship.
dannyboy73Icon...25-09-2019 @ 20:40 
Mask it or Casket !!
Member 4600, 8166 posts
SQ 240, BP 162.5, DL 255
657.5 kgs @ 90.5kgs UnEq
This I agree with.

I think the other large nations such as France or should I say 'the French' (not the French Government) have been waiting to follow the UK out of the EU contract.

The main issue is the elite have completely stopped listening to the underclasses(if they ever did, I guess the vote and not following through on the result has revealed the smoke screen of democracy and agency).

The reason London and the City didn’t see Brexit coming is because life was plenty good for those folk.

It’s the same reason Macron didn’t see the yellow vests as a major issue and Hillary thought Trump was a joke.

They all live in a bubble and deride people who disagree with them as extremists. Problem is..we are the majority and growing more and more pissed at being told how to think, act and live our daily lives.

The remainers (mainly left wingers), I envisage will create a massive right wing back lash toward the Brexit party)...That was the last thing we needed.

WILLSAN said:
to me, its insane that people think there is a economic utopia waiting for us if we remain in the eu. its a sinking ship.
RickIcon...25-09-2019 @ 21:49 
I am a bench-only guy
Member 3, 10034 posts
SQ 185, BP 175, DL 235
595.0 kgs @ 140kgs UnEq
Administrator
The Financial Times, that notorious hotbed of left-wingnuts, is one of the most pro-remain sources in the media. There are a handful of working economists who think leaving would be wise, but not many.

As with climate change, it is possible that the vast majority of experts are wrong. But it isn't very likely, and if you're not an expert your opinion isn't very valuable.
WILLSANIcon...25-09-2019 @ 22:41 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
Rick said:if you're not an expert your opinion isn't very valuable.

interesting attitude for the admin of a forum to take.

gtfo non experts - your opinions arent valuable here!

Grin
Wayne_CowdreyIcon...25-09-2019 @ 23:23 
Still got a little bit of strength
Member 400, 22044 posts
How does John Bercow go for 10+ hours without a toilet break?
KevC86Icon...26-09-2019 @ 05:07 
Member 5141, 4199 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
WILLSAN said:the only way the eu can survive with or without us is with closer integration - a 'united states of europe'.

the way the euro was set up sucks the wealth of all the eu states towards germany which is why the pigs nations are struggling so much and cant seem to get out of the hole they are in. we are very fortunate we kept the pound.

I believe there are only two ways it can go - fourth reich or break up.

with the anti eu movements in italy and hungary and the civil unrest in france plus brexit I think a break up is most likely.

This is more or less my view and a good chunk of the reason i voted leave.
SupertrampIcon...26-09-2019 @ 06:45 
Member 6264, 208 posts
Rick said:The Financial Times, that notorious hotbed of left-wingnuts, is one of the most pro-remain sources in the media. There are a handful of working economists who think leaving would be wise, but not many.

As with climate change, it is possible that the vast majority of experts are wrong. But it isn't very likely, and if you're not an expert your opinion isn't very valuable.

These economists track record of economic forecasting is awful. They didn't see the 2008 crash coming, believe in printing money to oblivion and zero negative interest rates. Keynesian bubble chamber nonsense.
FinchIcon...26-09-2019 @ 07:29 
Gonna outlive my opposition !!
Member 123, 4038 posts
SQ 202.5, BP 135.0, DL 232.5
570.0 kgs @ 117kgs UnEq
I head up Europe for a large multi-national, consequently i'm speaking with business people from across the continent every day.

Certainly the feeling that I get suggests that the Dutch and the Danes would be keen to follow us out and even the Italians are watching closely.

To generalize, western Europe's population is toying with the idea of leaving (except Ireland) and Eastern Europe's population are very pro Eu.
slimsimIcon...26-09-2019 @ 18:03 
My asshole is not watertight.
Member 2926, 6050 posts
SQ 217.5, BP 107.5, DL 225
550.0 kgs @ 86kgs UnEq
WILLSAN said:
interesting attitude for the admin of a forum to take.
gtfo non experts - your opinions arent valuable here!
Grin

To be fair, it's a well adopted attitude by the members, let alone anyone else, for example, if some newb with a 100kg squat started telling Tom Martin how to squat they I'd fully expect them to get told to GTFO.

Experts are experts for a reason yet in this scenario people's own emotional thoughts completely overrides what the experts pretty much all say.
samue1sonIcon...26-09-2019 @ 18:10 
Member 4416, 1369 posts
SQ 210, BP 175, DL 240
625.0 kgs @ 122kgs UnEq
slimsim said:
To be fair, it's a well adopted attitude by the members, let alone anyone else, for example, if some newb with a 100kg squat started telling Tom Martin how to squat they I'd fully expect them to get told to GTFO.
Experts are experts for a reason yet in this scenario people's own emotional thoughts completely overrides what the experts pretty much all say.

"All experts started on a forum once" - Ghandi.
WILLSANIcon...26-09-2019 @ 19:13 
Member 126, 16707 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 225
495.0 kgs @ 75kgs UnEq
slimsim said:

the difference being that there are actual experts in squatting here.

this is general bulls**t on sugden - if only experts opinions are valued we should all gtfo.

history is a long list of s**t that happened that 'the experts' failed to predict.
KevC86Icon...27-09-2019 @ 04:26 
Member 5141, 4199 posts
SQ 300, BP 180, DL 350
830.0 kgs @ 130kgs UnEq
I'm always a bit curious as to how we can class someone as a Brexit expert?
It is literally the first time something like this has happened and there is nothing to compare it to.
Even the experts are in best guess territory here.
danbaseleyIcon...29-09-2019 @ 07:31 
A member for 10 years and still no mouldy peanuts
Member 1252, 4475 posts
SQ 160, BP 110, DL 215
485.0 kgs @ 98kgs UnEq
KevC86 said:I'm always a bit curious as to how we can class someone as a Brexit expert?
It is literally the first time something like this has happened and there is nothing to compare it to.
Even the experts are in best guess territory here.

This.

As a Remainer, I am always surprised to see the faith put in economists who have got it wrong pretty much all the way post 2016.

The thing is, if you keep saying recession long enough: eventually, you will be right.
lukiIcon...02-10-2019 @ 14:05 
Member 5517, 1538 posts
SQ 160, BP 165, DL 201
526.0 kgs @ 110kgs UnEq
Post Edited: 02.10.2019 @ 14:26 PM by luki
I think UK is really underestimating the effects on Trade and Research Brexit may cause.
46% of UK total 628 billion in exports are currently tax free to Europe. The other 54% are traded with the rest of the world. However, the rest of the world trading is done on EU negotiated agreements which reduce the tax on UK imports to USA / China / India/ Austrailia/ Japan etc. UK will loose access on leaving the EU. They will also be a much smaller economy negotiating new agreements with much larger trading partners. Those partners will be looking at how fragmented and Ineffective UK parliament is in the Brexit negotiations.

UK has lost huge EU agencies for medicine, banking etc. EMA went to netherlands and EBA to France. These attracted research institutes, banking centres and personnel to the UK. EU membership meant drugs etc produced in Britain had access to the largest market in the world. Pharma is moving to Holland now. The banks to Ireland, Frankfurt and Paris. This is a huge portion of your inward investment and outward trade gone.

Borris was wrong when he said you'd have 350m a week extra. However, it wasn't just because of the 100m EU rebate. It was also the private investment in the EMA/EBA associated trade activities and tax bill on goods reducing the GDP.

If the UK doesn't like an EU policy, they have a veto. Why didn't Cameron use the UK veto more instead of holding a referendum.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions