REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Who's Online - 0 members and 174 guests

Strongman injury survey (Brief summary)

Users viewing topic: & 1 Guest

paulwinwoodIcon...05-05-2012 @ 02:18 
Member 3572, 6 posts
drew said:
i imagine pretty much all the tire based injuries stem from too poor a grip for the weight of the tire. i.e. heavy tires with no grip

I wrote a strongman review last year (Paragraph below) about using tyres. I will have to add how these factors could influence injury

"Some practical recommendations have been proposed for the tire flip. Bullock and Aipa (2010) suggested that strength and conditioning coaches should consider the dimensions of the tire, including the height, width and weight when selecting tires for athletes. Taller tires (when standing upright) may be more difficult for a shorter athlete to flip, and a tire with a narrow width may be more difficult for a taller athlete because of limb length and depth requirements (Bullock & Aipa, 2010). Other factors that can contribute to tire flipping difficulty are the density of the rubber, tire tread and hand clearance (Havelka, 2004). In addition, surface type could affect tire flipping through the various frictional coefficients. For example, a greater coefficient of friction may help with the lift of the tire off the ground but reduce the distance the tire travels in the push".
drewIcon...05-05-2012 @ 02:42 
I thought Joplin choked on a sandwich?
Member 616, 8404 posts
SQ 180, BP 130, DL 220
530.0 kgs @ 78.8kgs UnEq
paulwinwood said:
I wrote a strongman review last year (Paragraph below) about using tyres. I will have to add how these factors could influence injury
"Some practical recommendations have been proposed for the tire flip. Bullock and Aipa (2010) suggested that strength and conditioning coaches should consider the dimensions of the tire, including the height, width and weight when selecting tires for athletes. Taller tires (when standing upright) may be more difficult for a shorter athlete to flip, and a tire with a narrow width may be more difficult for a taller athlete because of limb length and depth requirements (Bullock & Aipa, 2010). Other factors that can contribute to tire flipping difficulty are the density of the rubber, tire tread and hand clearance (Havelka, 2004). In addition, surface type could affect tire flipping through the various frictional coefficients. For example, a greater coefficient of friction may help with the lift of the tire off the ground but reduce the distance the tire travels in the push".

well yes, all though they are all factors the only one i could see leading to injury bar the grip is a thin tire and a tall flipper so they cant get theyre shoulders into it without having very bent arms on the first part of the movement. the others imo arent factors of injury at all.

© Sugden Barbell 2024 - Mobile Version - Privacy - Terms & Conditions